Iron Man The Official Iron Man FAQ

Nightwing 52

Things change
Reaction score
In any case for the people who don't know what's going on with the film, I'd hope that this FAQ helps. Especially for the new people or any repeated questions that aren't needed. This thread will always be updated with whatever news on the films progression arrives.

Some basic questions already answered.

Who is directing the film, and who will be penning the script?

Jon Favreau is directing the film, and was in talks about it before actually signing on for the project. Avi Arad approached him, and talked about working again together when Favreau was in Daredevil. There are two current screenwriter teams working on seperate drafts for the script. Arthur Marcum and Matthew Hollaway, along with Mark Fergus and Hawk Otsby.

When is the film schedueled for release?

It's just been recently annouced that May 2nd is the date the film will be opening, with filming beginning in March.

UPDATED: There's an update for the films filming date, Favreau revealed from his online group.

Posted: Jul 10, 2006 8:59 PM

HINEYWrote:
Whenare you going to start filming this movie? or at least planning to film?

Jon Favreau:

February

Robert Downey Jr. will be playing Tony Stark/Iron Man.

Aintitcool reported just two days ago that Iron Man will be played by Robert Downey Jr. Favreau confirmed it himself on his MySpace group.
Jon Favreau said:
It is true. Robert Downey Jr. is Tony Stark. I am about as excited as I can be. I saw what he can do and he is extremely enthusiastic about playing Stark. I can say with absolute certainty that there is no better choice. The humor and emotional dimension he brings truly raises the bar on this project. Get ready.

UPDATED: After being cast for awhile now, Downey has finally spoken a bit about the film.
Presenter Robert Downey Jr.—toned and taut in preparation for his upcoming superhero role as Iron Man, in Marvel Entertainment's first independent film, directed by Jon Favreau—told me, "I've been working on something for Broadway for 10 years, but I'll be engaged for awhile in this film, which I hope will be successful." Downey, a well-respected talent, presented Gyllenhaal with the Young Artist Award.

UPDATED: Downey gave an in depth interview about the Iron Man suit, as well as actually wanting the role to begin with.
"The suit for 'Iron Man' is so complex and does so much stuff that except for once or twice or from the chest up, I'm not required to do all that much," Downey Jr. told us when asked if he'd been fitted for the armor yet. "What I will do is a lot of motion capture so that the movement isn't just some random stunt guy. A lot of time I look at CGI and I'm like 'What's the reference for this? This looks like a cartoon reference not a person." So I said I want to do all the motion capture work, which is like eight months after finishing shooting, but as much as it as I can do, I will."

"I went after it like a greyhound after a rabbit," he said when asked whether Favreau approached him or whether he went after the part. "I loved Marvel and 'Iron Man' to me is the goods. To tell you the God's honest truth, I'd thrown them all away for Sgt. Rock, because I really grew up on Hogan's Heroes, Sgt. Rock. I'm still addicted to the History Channel and the Military Channel is my thing, but Tony's the best because I could never be Sgt. Rock. He's a little bigger and more butch and has a cigar, I don't see it. Tony's a perfect fit for me, and if I was ever going to do this type of thing, I thought, you know, like early '40's. Great, because when you hang up your 'macho hat' and start directing or doing other stuff, it's not an embarrassment to be doing this in your late '40s still if we wind up doing three of them."

He also said that there would be some major casting announcements soon including Tony Stark's secretary Pepper Potts and one other, but he couldn't let the cat out of the bag despite being excited about the chance to work with the actors.

Iron Man is scheduled for May 2, 2008, but you can see Downey Jr. in Steven Shainsburg's Fur: An Imaginary Portrait of Diane Arbus, which opens in New York and Los Angeles this week, and check out the rest of our interview with Downey Jr. over on ComingSoon.net in the next week.
Downey as Stark:

UPDATED: The official site for the film has been announced by Favreau, on his group. Which can be viewed here.

Who are the characters so far that have been confirmed?

Both Pepper Potts who is Stark's secretary and Jim Rhodes also known as War Machine, have been confirmed to be in the film. No casting has begun for them yet, although that hasn't stopped fans from discuss it.

UPDATED: Favreau has confirmed that the Happy Hogan character will be in the film. He is also looking for suggestions for the role, in this thread he's made on his group. So if you have someone in mind for the role, feel free to suggest the name.

UPDATED: Favreau had done an interview with Aintitcool, and was asked about the film's supporting characters. When he answered. he mentioned Obadiah Stane, along with the already confirmed Pepper Potts, and Jim Rhodes.
JON FAVREAU: Rhodey (James Rhodes), Pepper Potts, Obadiah Stane... those are the core. I think that there's mixtures and fusions of things, but that's what it is. A lot of homework is being done and there will definitely be some layers in there for people who are fans of the books.

UPDATED: Shaun Toub has been confirmed to be joining the cast. Who he will end up playing is currently unknown.

UPDATED: Leslie Bibb has been confirmed to be joining the cast and will play a reporter.

UPDATED: Bill Smitrovich has also been cast, but who he will play has yet to be confirmed.

UPDATED: Dave Andrews has been given a role in the film, but who he will play has yet to be determined.

UPDATED: Sam Jackson has been cast as Nick Fury, and will have a role in the film.

Gwyneth Paltrow will play Virginia 'Pepper' Potts.
Gwyneth Paltrow to Star in Iron Man
Source: Marvel Entertainment, Inc. January 17, 2007

Marvel Studios announced today that it has signed on Academy Award® winner Gwyneth Paltrow to join the cast of the highly-anticipated summer 2008 event film Iron Man. Paltrow will take on the role of Virginia "Pepper" Potts, personal secretary and confidant to Tony Stark aka Iron Man. The film is slated to hit theaters May 2, 2008.

Paltrow joins a star-studded cast for Marvel Entertainment's first self-financed and produced feature film, which also includes Oscar® nominees Robert Downey Jr. in the title role and Terrence Howard as Jim "Rhodey" Rhodes, Stark's best friend. Jon Favreau is set to direct. This latest move reinforces the continued allure of Marvel's films among Hollywood's most celebrated talent.

Paltrow will portray billionaire industrialist and genius inventor Tony Stark's indispensable personal assistant, Virginia "Pepper" Potts. Pepper is an invaluable resource to Stark Industries, and one of the few people in Tony's life who can go toe-to-toe with him, occasionally acting as his conscience and working to keep his priorities straight as he secretly defends the world as the armored hero known as Iron Man. Below the surface, Tony and Pepper share a deep attraction for one another although neither is willing to admit it.

"Gwyneth is the embodiment of a leading lady. She brings intelligence, poise and an incredible range of talent to this role," said Kevin Feige, President of Production, Marvel Studios. "We could not be more excited about the great chemistry this illustrious cast will bring to 'Iron Man.'"

Terrence Howard will be playing Jim Rhodes.

UPDATED: It's been reported and confirmed that Terrence Howard, after being linked to the role before, has been cast officially as Jim "Rhodey" Rhodes.
Terrence Howard is set to join Robert Downey Jr. in Iron Man, reports Variety.

The Jon Favreau-directed film is the first to be financed through an arrangement that Marvel Studios formed with Merrill Lynch. Paramount Pictures releases the film May 2, 2008.

Howard will play Jim "Rhodey" Rhodes, the confidante of Iron Man's alter ego, Tony Stark. Rhodes, a high ranking military officer and aviator, steers the team that develops the robotic suit that allows the sickly Stark to fly around and battle bad guys.

In the comic, Rhodes' character gets his own armored suit and evolves into an occasionally antagonistic character called War Machine. That development seems likely to be saved for the sequel, though, as Iron Man will battle villain the Mandarin when shooting begins in February in L.A.

"The suit is purely an innovative creation, so this is Marvel meets Tom Clancy technology," Marvel Studios production president Kevin Feige said. "Having the best actors for the key roles allows them to inhabit the hyperkinetic reality of this world."

It should also be noted that it isn't known if the War Machine side of Rhodes will be introduced. Favreau also mentioned that he didn't have any plans on introducing Happy Hogan.

A love interest for the film is still being considered.

UPDATED: Paltrow gave an interview and answers questions about the film.
Seems like you're taking on more projects than you have in the past.
Well, I hadn't worked in a long time, I was really committed to being home. Then I finally just agreed to do this movie Iron Man. I reached a place in my life where I thought, ''It's okay that I have a passion for something besides my family.'' I love making films. If I do one thing that makes me fulfilled, then I'm a more interesting woman for my children. And then I got this call, and I thought, I love Jon Favreau [who's directing Iron Man]. And the cast was so good. This feels right to me.

Is it a big movie? It sounds like it could have an ''indie'' sensibility.
It sounds like it does, but it [has] a huge budget. [Laughs]

Who's your character?
I play Pepper Potts, who's Iron Man's assistant. They have a very charged dynamic.

When do you start Iron Man?
March.

And what do you do to get ready?
Pump it up! [Laughs] I'm exercising.

So why Iron Man?
You know why? Because of the people involved. It had nothing to do with the size of the budget. It was like, if I got a call that there's a six-million-dollar movie, and these are the people, I'd do it. I've always wanted to work with Robert Downey Jr. He's a genius, and I had never been asked to do a film with him before. I'm really excited that it's Iron Man because I've never done anything like it. I'm really thrilled.

When you take that much time off, do you see other performances or films that make you want to go back and do it?
It's funny. I felt so outside of it all for such a long time, that when I saw movies, I felt like I was never even involved in the business. I feel so lucky that when I felt like I was ready to go back to work, there was something ready for me, [that] I wasn't completely forgotten about. And you know, I really thought I would be! And I figured that that would be okay too — I'd just fight tooth-and-nail.

Was there anything you tried to get that you didn't? I can't imagine you get turned down a lot.
Well, it wasn't so much that I put myself out there and was rejected. Which would've been okay. But it wasn't like I was getting, you know, thousands of offers a week, when I was nine months' pregnant or nursing babies, either. I also think I had projected, ''I'm out of the business. I live in London and I have my kids.'' And yes, that is an aspect of who I am, but I'm also a person who's very passionate about my art and film.

When did you decide to come back?
Well, I sort of fake-decided to come back probably six months ago. But it was only a few weeks ago that it really, really washed through me. It's only been recently that I thought that this is a part of me that if I don't nurture, I'll be a worse human being [for it].

Will your family be separated then?
We will be, a bit. My kids will be with me. And my husband will be recording a record, so unfortunately he'll have to travel. But he's supportive of my working, so we'll just make it work.

Do you know what you want to do after Iron Man?
I'll definitely take the rest of the summer off to be with my family. And then I'd like to do something really character-driven. I've got the Marlene Dietrich story in development at DreamWorks, and I would really love to do that. And also my best friend Mary [Wigmore has been] writing the feature version of Dealbreaker, which is the short film we did last year. It's really a bawdy kind of comedy. So we wanna do that, and I would be in it.

Jeff Bridges will be playing Obadiah Stane/Iron Monger.

UPDATED: Since being confirmed to join the cast, it is now reveal that Bridges will in fact be playing Obadiah Stane.
Bridges' Iron Man Role
IGN hears it straight from The Dude himself.
by Stax

March 9, 2007 - IGN attended a special press event Thursday night on the Sony lot for their forthcoming CG-animated feature Surf's Up, which boasts Jeff Bridges among its voice cast members.

During a one-on-one video interview with Bridges, the veteran actor advised IGN that he will play Obadiah Stane in the Iron Man movie!

Bridges' head was shaved bald and he was sporting a silver goatee for the role, and was also considerably slimmer than he had been in his last few films.

Bridges said that Stane is the mentor of Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) in the film. When pressed if Stane was also the villain of the tale, the Big Lebowski thesp became coy and told us that we'd have to wait and see.

MarvelDirectory.com reminds us that, in the comics, Obadiah Stane "attempted to form an organization of European and Oriental industrialists, led by himself, that would act in defiance of antitrust laws, and even attempt to usurp power from the leaders of certain nations. (Tony Stark) opposed Stane's efforts to form such an organization. Stane had been seeking for a worthy opponent against whom to compete in a new 'game' of business maneuvers, and decided that Stark was the man he sought. Stane also knew Stark's principal weakness: Stark was a reformed alcoholic. At this point Stane had not yet realized that Anthony Stark was secretly the costumed champion Iron Man."

Stane soon wrested control of Stark International from Tony, who would later recover from his alcoholism and regain control of his company. Stane later stole a notebook of Tony's and, using his designs, had his scientists built a suit of battle armor, which he donned as the supervillain Iron Monger.

Who will be the villan for the film?

UPDATED: Iron Monger will be the villain of the first film, with Mandarin being saved until the sequel.

How many different types of suits will be in the film?

So far the gray suit will be the first suit Stark creates and soon dons, staying true to the character's first appearence. Then he'll slowly work his way to a more "modernized" look. In between the creation of the different armors, we may see more.

UPDATED: First look at the Mark 1 armor:

First look at the Mark 3 armor:

Can we expect a lot of flying, and especially the repulsor rays?

Yes on both accounts. There will be a lot of flying scenes in the film, and the repulsor rays will make their debut from the comics to film. The repulsor rays play a huge part in the script.

UPDATED: Favreau recently gave an interview about the Iron Man suit, and the films special effects.
Jon Favreau said:
On the Iron Man suit Favreau said "if you have too clunky of a figure it takes you out of the movie. You can't do with a Robocop suit, what Iron Man has to do. He flies, he's athletic, he's acrobatic, he fights, [and] he shoots. He has to do a lot of things for you to justify making a movie about him." Favreau will most likely use Motion Capture effects to create more realistic movements of the Iron Man character Visit the link above for the full interview!

How will Stark be injured, as a nod to the comics?

Anothering thing Jon mentioned was that Stark would most likely be injured, while over in Afghanistan.

Will the alcoholism be introduced in the first film?

No, it was stated that it wouldn't be a factor in the film. Favreau first want's to introduce the character properly. However, he hinted that it might be best explored in a possible sequel. Same goes for the possibility of Jim Rhodes donning the War Machine armor.

Here are his exact views on the subject.

"The alcoholism doesn't come into play until later on in the story of Iron Man," he said. "[The comic] started off in the '60s, where it was about him as a successful manufacturer who developed this suit. Then, later, it spins off into that story about him fighting against himself. I think we're going to lay the groundwork for it, but the first one's going to explore him taking on this alter ego of Iron Man, and developing the suit, and what happens politically within the Stark Corporation."

How far does the suit design go?

Favreau mentioned that he was in contact in Adi Granov, who drew the first few issues of the latest Iron Man comic series. He's really fond of his work, and also said that the concept of the suit would hopefully make a lot of people satisfied.

Incase anyone isn't familiar with Granov's work.

UPDATED: Along with the villain annoucement, the Iron Man teaser poster was shown today. Made by Adi Granov himself. to view it, click the link below.

http://joblo.com/newsimages1/iron-man1.jpg

If anyone has anything they'd like to add to the FAQ, tell me and I'll edit the first page.

Nope, I think you've got it all covered.

A little heads up about Comic Con, since Favreau mentioned there'd possibly be some news announced. It's going to be live on July 21. And those who have the G4 channel will be able to watch it, and hopefully Favreau will be there at his own convention.

A villain announcement would be great.

Great FAQ Batman, this is really going to come in handy when filming and casting begins. :D

again, very helpful thread :up:

thanks Batman!

Has Comic Con actually been confirmed? :D

Iron Man&#8482 said:
Has Comic Con actually been confirmed? :D

He was first asked if he'd have a booth there in July, and thought it'd be too early. But that was before the official announcement was made of the release date, as well as his choice for the villain. He didn't necessarily say "no" to it, in fact, he sounded quite a bit excited.

As long as it helps, you're welcome everyone.

You sure are on top of getting these FAQ threads posted.

You're the man Batman. Thanks for this thread.:)

Batman said:
He was first asked if he'd have a booth there in July, and thought it'd be too early. But that was before the official announcement was made of the release date, as well as his choice for the villain. He didn't necessarily say "no" to it, in fact, he sounded quite a bit excited.

As long as it helps, you're welcome everyone.

Awesome! Thanks Batman, for the update. :up:

So it's really true that we won't be getting Happy?

Iron Man™ said:
So it's really true that we won't be getting Happy?

Favreau has only confirmed Pepper Potts and Jim Rhodes so far, being Stark/Iron Man's supporting character. There's a slight chance we'll be seeing Pepper as his own love interest for the film, some want to see it and others don't.

However, people actually want Favreau himself to play Happy. If we don't see the character in the first, there's plenty of room to introduce him in a sequel.

ironmaidenrules said:
yea, well ironman can buy and sell his ass

Actually, Bruce Wayne is wealthier than Stark. So I'll be the one doing the purchasing and selling.

Batman said:
Favreau has only confirmed Pepper Potts and Jim Rhodes so far, being Stark/Iron Man's supporting character. There's a slight chance we'll be seeing Pepper as his own love interest for the film, some want to see it and others don't.

However, people actually want Favreau himself to play Happy. If we don't see the character in the first, there's plenty of room to introduce him in a sequel.

Haha, yeah I heard that. :cool:

I actually think Favs could play Happy well, if he wasn't already Foggy Nelson. Thanks Batman. :)

I'm really crossing my fingers for seeing Mandarin!

Batman said:
Actually, Bruce Wayne is wealthier than Stark. So I'll be the one doing the purchasing and selling.

LOL!! :D:up:

Iron Man™ said:
Haha, yeah I heard that.

I actually think Favs could play Happy well, if he wasn't already Foggy Nelson. Thanks Batman.

I'm really crossing my fingers for seeing Mandarin!

Even though a lot of fans would like to see Mandarin, as well as myself, I honestly doubt we will. He's one of Iron Man's most classic villains, but with what Favreau has said thus far regarding the villain of the film, he might not have a place in the first film. But hopefully that leaves another option again, for the sequel.

Favreau confirmed that he wants a more "realistic" feel for the first film, as well as Iron Man himself.

There' an Ironman movie coming out?? I didn't even know Ironman existed until I came here. LOL.

Iron Man is slated to be released May 2, 2008. To be directed by Jon Favreau, it is currently in pre-production while the writers continue to try to pen a draft. Storyboarding has already commenced. Favreau had stated that he intended to cast an unknown in the role of Anthony Stark aka Iron Man, with rumors in July 2006 linking him to former Angel and Close To Home actor Christian Kane. Favreau has also said that the plot itself will not so much deal with his personal problems (alcoholism) as much as the creation of his suit and the birth of Iron Man, much like Batman Begins and the Spider-Man franchise. He did however say that, if there would be a sequel(s), it would venture into those categories.

The budget is said to be above of 100 million. Filming is currently being set, although is may start as early as the beginning of next year.
Source: Wikipedia

Lil_Flip246 said:
Iron Man is slated to be released May 2, 2008. To be directed by Jon Favreau, it is currently in pre-production while the writers continue to try to pen a draft. Storyboarding has already commenced. Favreau had stated that he intended to cast an unknown in the role of Anthony Stark aka Iron Man, with rumors in July 2006 linking him to former Angel and Close To Home actor Christian Kane. Favreau has also said that the plot itself will not so much deal with his personal problems (alcoholism) as much as the creation of his suit and the birth of Iron Man, much like Batman Begins and the Spider-Man franchise. He did however say that, if there would be a sequel(s), it would venture into those categories.

The budget is said to be above of 100 million. Filming is currently being set, although is may start as early as the beginning of next year.
Source: Wikipedia

That part of the page in completely false. Favreau has yet to mention a name he's wanted for the role, same for actually meeting anyone in particular.

The two sites to stay away from whenever hero franchise films are in development, are Wikipedia and IMDB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"