Iron Man 2 Don Cheadle joins IRON MAN 2!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

[A]

Avenger
Reaction score
Don Cheadle is stepping in to replace Terrence Howard in "Iron Man 2," Marvel Studios' sequel to its summer blockbuster.

In the movie, Howard played Jim Rhodes, Tony Stark/Iron Man's best friend and future armor-clad hero War Machine. One scene featured Howard looking at a silver suit of armor and saying "Next time," a line that caused great delight for fans.

But there will be no next time for Howard.

Marvel had no comment, but sources close to the deal said negotiations with Howard fell through over financial differences, among other reasons. Marvel, which had wanted to work with Cheadle, then decided to take the role in another direction and approached the actor, who is shooting Antoine Fuqua's "Brooklyn's Finest" with Richard Gere and Ethan Hawke.

Rhodes is expected to play a larger part in the sequel, which is rumored to go beyond high-tech villains. Justin Theroux is writing the screenplay.

Jon Favreau is returning as director, and Robert Downey Jr. is expected back as billionaire industrialist Stark/Iron Man. Gwyneth Paltrow also is expected to be back as Stark's assistant, Pepper Potts.

Cheadle, repped by UTA, most recently starred in "Traitor," a thriller on which he was also a producer. He will next be seen in DreamWorks' "Hotel for Dogs."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3ibc7ed676383467c2ef5b0b84b924a87b

omg...I love Don and all, but WTF happened here? There were never any signs for this to happen.

Well...That kinda sucks...I hate continuity problems from film to film...But this seems like it could work...Nice find!

Well...That kinda sucks...I hate continuity problems from film to film...But this seems like it could work...Nice find!
Yeah, I don't like casting changes either, but oh well :o

So, is Cheadle actually cheaper than Howard..? This world we live in! :funny:

Maybe Howard hustled a little too much to get his flow!!!

Last edited:

Weird huh?

Don is (to me) a better known actor than Howard. This only hurts Howard in the long run..(kinda)

Acting-wise, yes, Cheadle is the man

I don't really like this change...But for the movie it could work...

Maybe Favreau should go back and add Cheadle to IRON MAN, George Lucas style :hehe:

And my hope that Marvel would pursue Norton for AVENGERS (for continuity's sake) just died.

And my hope that Marvel would pursue Norton for AVENGERS (for continuity's sake) just died.
Never thought about it (well, these news been out for 2 seconds) but.. yeah.. now that you mention it.. :down

Really like Cheadle, but I really don't see him as Jim Rhodes. I bet the movie will still be great, but this really sucks.

LAAAAAAAAME.

Howard kicked ass.

I am in a total state of shock... but pretty intrigued, and a little excited. This could be pretty cool, actually.

Dame shame. Judging from interviews, Howard seemed to have a good understanding on the character for the sequel(s). IIRC, he had an existing familiarity with Rhodey from the books. I'm surprised it came to this.

I think Cheadle ranks higher on the acting scale, but I was interested in seeing what Howard could do with the role.

I like Cheadle, He's a great actor, But he's so wrong for this part. :csad:

Total shock from me too, never heard any problems with howard and marvel. I too hate when these things happen in hero films. Hopefully cheadle will do well in the role and is not to much of a change from how howard did the role in im. As for norton who knows what is going to happen with him/marvel come avengers time. If hulk is villain for that maybe they will only need norton to do a few scenes as bruce and he will return.

why.... Why..... WHY are they doing this??

I love Don Cheadle and all, but recasting a part is the death-knell of movie making. How about Marvel puts in a little more effort to negotiate with Terrence Howard rather than just recast the role?

The Dark Knight only got away with it because no-one liked Katie Holmes in the first place, and there was so much hype around Ledger that they could have literally used a mannequin for Rachael Dawes and no one would have liked the movie any less.

I always thought Keith David would have made a good War Machine...but, we'll see how this turns out.

I like this even though it kind of screws with continuity. Cheadle is a better actor.

Perhaps....I think Cheadle is the better actor personally. Maybe Howard saw how successful the first film was, knew his role would increase and demanded some outrageous number. I wouldn't be surprised if Cheadle came in right around the same scale as Howard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"