Playstation The Official Playstation 5 Thread

Yes, I think that Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is probably my favorite technical experience this far on the PS5, and it's certainly going to get better. It's especially noticeable when the PS5 has its unique storage solution so when people write for that properly everything loads really quickly, but when they don't it's relatively slow.
I got to play the original FFS7 as a kid, but I gotta admit with this game constantly being in conversation with the Ps5, it's making me feel like I gotta play these games some day. I still have a huge backlog so maybe if they release the trilogy of the remade games, I'll buy that version.

anyway, if you've played Remake and Rebirth, how big of a difference would you say there is between the two? because similarly to the discussion we had about the Spider-Man games a few days ago, I feel like if you showed me a screenshot, I would not be able to tell if it's from a Ps4 or Ps5 version of one of these games.
Yes, on the surface it's pretty simple. One will get another idea if deep diving into the legal workings of it of course, but that's always the case with law. Yes, selling data has become huge and all to make it easier to read us and manipulate us so we'll be even more obedient customers.
it's a very scary thought, even if it's happening to everyone. I don't know how the lawsuit is going but in the RCS thread I made in the Tech section, it looks like Apple won't have to budge with bringing that service to iOS any earlier than the fall.

It wouldn't surprised me if they officially announced the PS5 Pro neXt month.

But I think they should also announce the big Sony games for 2026, since most big Sony games are usually announced at least 2 years iirc before their release. I don't think there's a big Sony game for neXt year that haven't been announced yet? unless there's somehow a Venom spin off game (that as big as the Miles Morales game) for 2025. Wolverine won't be out neXt year as well.

But major 1st party game announcements should really hype up PS fans even if its 2 to 4 years away. Ghost 2, a new God of War, new Naughty Dog ip, etc.

I got to play the original FFS7 as a kid, but I gotta admit with this game constantly being in conversation with the Ps5, it's making me feel like I gotta play these games some day. I still have a huge backlog so maybe if they release the trilogy of the remade games, I'll buy that version.

anyway, if you've played Remake and Rebirth, how big of a difference would you say there is between the two? because similarly to the discussion we had about the Spider-Man games a few days ago, I feel like if you showed me a screenshot, I would not be able to tell if it's from a Ps4 or Ps5 version of one of these games.

I love the new games and they have some of the best character work I've seen in gaming, although it's of course made with a Japanese touch so one has to like that. I will always highly recommend them and the issue of the backlog may be good here since the best way to play would be when all three games are out so you don't have to wait for years.

Rebirth definitely looks better with much more detail, better lighting/shadows, etc, and everything done in much bigger open areas, and that is comparing to the PS5 version of Remake. I can't say how you'd experience the difference though as our Spider-Man conversation showed that we have a bit of a different view on this, so I can only speak for my own opinion.

it's a very scary thought, even if it's happening to everyone. I don't know how the lawsuit is going but in the RCS thread I made in the Tech section, it looks like Apple won't have to budge with bringing that service to iOS any earlier than the fall.

Yes, we as humans aren't nearly as unique and unpredictable as we might think, so we'll see how such manipulation turns out in the future, regardless of whether we're looking at companies or politics. Lawsuits tend to take time, and then there's the risk of appeals, so it will likely take a quite a while until we see a definitive result.

I love the new games and they have some of the best character work I've seen in gaming, although it's of course made with a Japanese touch so one has to like that.
The Like a Dragon series was one of my favorites for a long time, I'd say it may have been my favorite gaming series last generation. Tekken during the Ps2 era was probably my favorite as well and I think that can also be considered made with a Japanese touch, so I can definitely appreciate that about the FFS series if I get to jump in one day.
I will always highly recommend them and the issue of the backlog may be good here since the best way to play would be when all three games are out so you don't have to wait for years.
oh yeah, absolutely! I haven't gotten to play Spider-Man or RDR2 because of my backlog haha. I bought Kena years back, the Deluxe edition and barely touched it because I'm still working on Persona 5 Royale.

the other great thing is that by the time I get to play any of these games, the prices will have dropped. I mentioned Like a Dragon earlier, so the next game on my back log after Persona 5 R is completed is supposed to be Like a Dragon 5 remastered.
Rebirth definitely looks better with much more detail, better lighting/shadows, etc, and everything done in much bigger open areas, and that is comparing to the PS5 version of Remake. I can't say how you'd experience the difference though as our Spider-Man conversation showed that we have a bit of a different view on this, so I can only speak for my own opinion.
Fair enough. I can understand that, because I realize that I am in the minority here when it comes to appreciating the improvements in graphical fidelity this generation. most people are saying FFS7Rebirth looks amazing and calling it a GOTY contender.

all I can think about is seeing clips of Cloud running around, running up the stairs and this game looks like it still has invisible ramps...I would think for a game that is so high profile would have the modern expectation of characters having stair climbing animations. this series should have it by now.
Yes, we as humans aren't nearly as unique and unpredictable as we might think, so we'll see how such manipulation turns out in the future, regardless of whether we're looking at companies or politics. Lawsuits tend to take time, and then there's the risk of appeals, so it will likely take a quite a while until we see a definitive result.
yeah, the way the justice system works is such a bureaucratic nightmare. it's like an actor from When They See Us once said. the "justice" system is the wrong word for it. I understand having the right to appeal, it should be there, but I feel like if a party is so obviously guilty then their right to appeal should be repelled.

The Like a Dragon series was one of my favorites for a long time, I'd say it may have been my favorite gaming series last generation. Tekken during the Ps2 era was probably my favorite as well and I think that can also be considered made with a Japanese touch, so I can definitely appreciate that about the FFS series if I get to jump in one day.

oh yeah, absolutely! I haven't gotten to play Spider-Man or RDR2 because of my backlog haha. I bought Kena years back, the Deluxe edition and barely touched it because I'm still working on Persona 5 Royale.

the other great thing is that by the time I get to play any of these games, the prices will have dropped. I mentioned Like a Dragon earlier, so the next game on my back log after Persona 5 R is completed is supposed to be Like a Dragon 5 remastered.

It definitely sounds like something you should give a try at some point then! And you're absolutely correct in that price is another big plus when it comes to playing games late.

On the other games you mentioned RDR2 is another one I'd especially recommend. I think it's the only game that truly managed to pick up the gauntlet after The Witcher 3 when it comes to mixing a great story and characters with a great open world.

Fair enough. I can understand that, because I realize that I am in the minority here when it comes to appreciating the improvements in graphical fidelity this generation. most people are saying FFS7Rebirth looks amazing and calling it a GOTY contender.

all I can think about is seeing clips of Cloud running around, running up the stairs and this game looks like it still has invisible ramps...I would think for a game that is so high profile would have the modern expectation of characters having stair climbing animations. this series should have it by now.

It does look really good, although fidelity mode clearly looks sharper than performance mode but I can't say no to those 60 fps for this action, which is also very good. For my tastes it's very likely to be the GOTY, with the only challenge being the expansion to Elden Ring, which obviously isn't a new game.

Yes, they flow up stairs etc easily, which does feel nice in just having a flow when running around though. The same with the speed in which they jump up on things, so I think it's quite deliberate to forsake realism for flow. I checked how it looks when going slow and the characters do take steps, although not perfectly aligned. Then again I don't remember any game where that works perfectly and personally I don't care much since I don't tend to think about it when I'm immersed in the story and action.

yeah, the way the justice system works is such a bureaucratic nightmare. it's like an actor from When They See Us once said. the "justice" system is the wrong word for it. I understand having the right to appeal, it should be there, but I feel like if a party is so obviously guilty then their right to appeal should be repelled.

It's a problem that really doesn't have a good solution since the alternative is to make laws more arbitrary, which obviously introduces a lot of other issues. I guess I'm mostly glad as long as I don't have to interact with it on a deeper level myself.

It definitely sounds like something you should give a try at some point then! And you're absolutely correct in that price is another big plus when it comes to playing games late.
yeah haha that's another plus side for me for having such a huge backlog. I have been trying to beat Persona 5 R since 2021! hopefully I can get through some of this backlog before the Ps6 launches hahahaha
On the other games you mentioned RDR2 is another one I'd especially recommend.
I think I would call Redemption 1 one of my favorite games of the seventh generation. definitely one of the best games I ever played, that's for sure. and the only I haven't played it yet is again, because of my backlog. but graphically I think it is the most impressive game ever. so much to the point that I am more impressed with it than current gen games.
I think it's the only game that truly managed to pick up the gauntlet after The Witcher 3 when it comes to mixing a great story and characters with a great open world.
ah you know I heard great things about the Witcher 3 but I never gave it a shot because I'm not into medieval type video games. I didn't really like Dragon Age Origins, so I thought I wouldn't like this either. maybe I should watch the Netflix show and that would give me an indication of if I'd like playing the game.
It does look really good, although fidelity mode clearly looks sharper than performance mode but I can't say no to those 60 fps for this action, which is also very good. For my tastes it's very likely to be the GOTY, with the only challenge being the expansion to Elden Ring, which obviously isn't a new game.
graphics are very important to me but so is performance, so I feel like if I were to play it I would still stick to the higher framerate option. I mean, how MUCH different can the graphical fidelity get? it would still be very noticeably similar I bet and at the same resolution too I'd think.
Yes, they flow up stairs etc easily, which does feel nice in just having a flow when running around though. The same with the speed in which they jump up on things, so I think it's quite deliberate to forsake realism for flow. I checked how it looks when going slow and the characters do take steps, although not perfectly aligned. Then again I don't remember any game where that works perfectly and personally I don't care much since I don't tend to think about it when I'm immersed in the story and action.
ah, okay. if you personally checked to see that if you made the characters walk then they'd actually climb the stairs step by step, then I guess they did keep some realism in mind. I just assumed they didn't think of it at all because other games from previous generations - like Uncharted 4, even if characters ran up the stairs you could see them still account for the steps, it wouldn't be an invisible ramp. I don't blame you for not minding it as well because you're so immersed in the game that you're playing - perhaps my expectations were higher since I've seen it accounted for
It's a problem that really doesn't have a good solution since the alternative is to make laws more arbitrary, which obviously introduces a lot of other issues. I guess I'm mostly glad as long as I don't have to interact with it on a deeper level myself.
interact with the justice system, you mean?

I think I would call Redemption 1 one of my favorite games of the seventh generation. definitely one of the best games I ever played, that's for sure. and the only I haven't played it yet is again, because of my backlog. but graphically I think it is the most impressive game ever. so much to the point that I am more impressed with it than current gen games.

Then RDR2 should be a great experience as I think it's a clearly better game than the original. The only downside is that they haven't made a PS5 version so the graphics and frame rate will feel older and older with time.

ah you know I heard great things about the Witcher 3 but I never gave it a shot because I'm not into medieval type video games. I didn't really like Dragon Age Origins, so I thought I wouldn't like this either. maybe I should watch the Netflix show and that would give me an indication of if I'd like playing the game.

I still hold Witcher 3 as the best game ever, especially when including the great expansions. The combination of story, character work, world building, intricate quest work, and great open world still stands out. Of course it doesn't mean that it will be for everyone and it's definitely medieval in style (even more realistic medieval style than most fantasy).

I only saw the first season of The Witcher and as a show it's not nearly as good as W3 is as a game, but you'll certainly get a general feel for the property. I enjoyed the first season but got sidetracked from continuing. It sounds like it got worse with later seasons.

graphics are very important to me but so is performance, so I feel like if I were to play it I would still stick to the higher framerate option. I mean, how MUCH different can the graphical fidelity get? it would still be very noticeably similar I bet and at the same resolution too I'd think.

The graphics are clearly less sharp in performance mode, but for cut scenes I think they automatically jump to quality and even better character models. I've always felt fine with playing at 30 fps and even did a playthrough of Witcher 3 on PS5 before the free next gen update because I couldn't wait and I got used to it quickly. I recently tried to switch to graphics mode on Rebirth though and I immediately felt that it made motions look bad. Maybe it was just the initial feel and I'd get used to it but I immediately went back.

ah, okay. if you personally checked to see that if you made the characters walk then they'd actually climb the stairs step by step, then I guess they did keep some realism in mind. I just assumed they didn't think of it at all because other games from previous generations - like Uncharted 4, even if characters ran up the stairs you could see them still account for the steps, it wouldn't be an invisible ramp. I don't blame you for not minding it as well because you're so immersed in the game that you're playing - perhaps my expectations were higher since I've seen it accounted for

I think it's mainly the feel of the flow that makes it stand out like that but it's just nice not to have to slow down on stairs, or take time climbing normal environment, as that's not where the main fun is. Not that there isn't plenty of actual climbing passages and so on as well. Another reason why I wouldn't care about how they step on steps is that if you keep the "camera" behind the character, as you normally do when running around, I don't think you see the feet as it's fairly close even on the furthest camera setting.

interact with the justice system, you mean?

Yes, that's what I meant.

Then RDR2 should be a great experience as I think it's a clearly better game than the original. The only downside is that they haven't made a PS5 version so the graphics and frame rate will feel older and older with time.
yeah! I feel like Redemption 2 was the obvious candidate for a remake on Ps5/Xbox XS back when GTA5 was announced as the remaster instead. that game was already rereleased and backwards compatible. It's been 5 years and I think they still could remaster Redemption 2, but I'll settle for the Ps4 version if the remaster isn't out by the time I'm through my backlog at that point.
I still hold Witcher 3 as the best game ever, especially when including the great expansions. The combination of story, character work, world building, intricate quest work, and great open world still stands out. Of course it doesn't mean that it will be for everyone and it's definitely medieval in style (even more realistic medieval style than most fantasy).

I only saw the first season of The Witcher and as a show it's not nearly as good as W3 is as a game, but you'll certainly get a general feel for the property. I enjoyed the first season but got sidetracked from continuing. It sounds like it got worse with later seasons.
objectively, Witcher 3 is considered one of the greatest games of all time. it's on wikipedia's list, anyway. honestly I didn't even know the show got renewed for more seasons, I only just heard good things about the first. but these games & shows are based on a book series originally, right? have you read the books as well?
The graphics are clearly less sharp in performance mode, but for cut scenes I think they automatically jump to quality and even better character models. I've always felt fine with playing at 30 fps and even did a playthrough of Witcher 3 on PS5 before the free next gen update because I couldn't wait and I got used to it quickly. I recently tried to switch to graphics mode on Rebirth though and I immediately felt that it made motions look bad. Maybe it was just the initial feel and I'd get used to it but I immediately went back.
if by sharpness you mean that the resolution is really the only thing that's reduced in performance mode, then I feel like it's not that much of a compromise that they had to make. I remember when tlou got remastered for Ps4, they were able to make the game 1080p/60ps, but still allowed for a 30fps mode just to have the option of that cinematic feel and I felt like that was a bit unnecessary.
I think it's mainly the feel of the flow that makes it stand out like that but it's just nice not to have to slow down on stairs, or take time climbing normal environment, as that's not where the main fun is. Not that there isn't plenty of actual climbing passages and so on as well. Another reason why I wouldn't care about how they step on steps is that if you keep the "camera" behind the character, as you normally do when running around, I don't think you see the feet as it's fairly close even on the furthest camera setting.
yeah, I see what you're saying. not every game has to aim for every aspect of realism to look progressively improved upon predecessors. the first Infamous game had very comic bookie character animations, and after that they started doing mocap for all of the character animations. but I really liked the animations of the first game. in a world where all games aiming for photorealistic graphics also go for lifelike animations, it was very entertaining to play a game that was different from all that.
Yes, that's what I meant.
I think that's a very common sentiment. like, I think we would all want to avoid having to deal with the justice system as much as we can :whoops:

yeah! I feel like Redemption 2 was the obvious candidate for a remake on Ps5/Xbox XS back when GTA5 was announced as the remaster instead. that game was already rereleased and backwards compatible. It's been 5 years and I think they still could remaster Redemption 2, but I'll settle for the Ps4 version if the remaster isn't out by the time I'm through my backlog at that point.

Hopefully they will remaster it well at some point but the PS4 version is surprisingly good for that weak hardware.

objectively, Witcher 3 is considered one of the greatest games of all time. it's on wikipedia's list, anyway. honestly I didn't even know the show got renewed for more seasons, I only just heard good things about the first. but these games & shows are based on a book series originally, right? have you read the books as well?

The show is still going as far as I know, but it had some drama with Cavill leaving and being replaced with Liam Hemsworth. I heard that it was dropping in quality and moving further away from the books so I never bothered to continue. I have the first two books but I've never got around to reading them. Maybe I can muster up some more interest in that when The Witcher 4 gets closer.

if by sharpness you mean that the resolution is really the only thing that's reduced in performance mode, then I feel like it's not that much of a compromise that they had to make. I remember when tlou got remastered for Ps4, they were able to make the game 1080p/60ps, but still allowed for a 30fps mode just to have the option of that cinematic feel and I felt like that was a bit unnecessary.

It's probably not just resolution but some graphical detail as well (which may not be all that important at that point either). I have no problems with the trade off though as 60 fps feels a lot better. Having a 30 fps mode for cinematic feel is an odd choice for me. I think you want a game to feel more real than cinematic (at least in that particular sense of the word) so a smoother experience is better for games.

yeah, I see what you're saying. not every game has to aim for every aspect of realism to look progressively improved upon predecessors. the first Infamous game had very comic bookie character animations, and after that they started doing mocap for all of the character animations. but I really liked the animations of the first game. in a world where all games aiming for photorealistic graphics also go for lifelike animations, it was very entertaining to play a game that was different from all that.

Yes, there is definitely room for things that don't aim for realism but rather style, and also to aim for less realism to just create a better game control experience. The Final Fantasy VII games does have a fairly realistic base with a bunch of stylistic things thrown in on top, which usually just some characters can do physically and the average person is pretty realistic.

Hopefully they will remaster it well at some point but the PS4 version is surprisingly good for that weak hardware.
truly. if RDR2 released this generation and was more or less exactly the same, I feel like it still would end up looking and being the most technically impressive video game. I don't think any video games from this generation have topped it, and that's really saying something considering it's running 2013 tech like you said!
The show is still going as far as I know, but it had some drama with Cavill leaving and being replaced with Liam Hemsworth. I heard that it was dropping in quality and moving further away from the books so I never bothered to continue. I have the first two books but I've never got around to reading them. Maybe I can muster up some more interest in that when The Witcher 4 gets closer.
I saw a picture of Liam Hemsworth as the Witcher guy but I thought was an April Fool's joke. lol. like, what? they recast the main character? of course there is going to be some drop off going on. I'll have to look into this drama to see what happened behind the scenes
It's probably not just resolution but some graphical detail as well (which may not be all that important at that point either). I have no problems with the trade off though as 60 fps feels a lot better. Having a 30 fps mode for cinematic feel is an odd choice for me. I think you want a game to feel more real than cinematic (at least in that particular sense of the word) so a smoother experience is better for games.
I agree. I think I would always choose performance over fidelity. Ideally hardware should be good enough to still have an option that optimizes both, but a smoother experience is one that also feels more real as well. I suppose there are some upsides to a cinematic feeling game but there are far more drawbacks to a lower frame rate. movies themselves are like 6 frames lower per second, right? like 24fps I think
Yes, there is definitely room for things that don't aim for realism but rather style, and also to aim for less realism to just create a better game control experience. The Final Fantasy VII games does have a fairly realistic base with a bunch of stylistic things thrown in on top, which usually just some characters can do physically and the average person is pretty realistic.
for Sony's blockbuster titles, I don't think they see it that way. there probably is no room at all for them to aim for style instead of realism. that's become kind of the overall image of PlayStation studios titles, I guess to give a far more mature approach in contrast to Nintendo titles which have a lot of games that don't need to have humanoid character mocapped for everything.

truly. if RDR2 released this generation and was more or less exactly the same, I feel like it still would end up looking and being the most technically impressive video game. I don't think any video games from this generation have topped it, and that's really saying something considering it's running 2013 tech like you said!

I don't think anything this generation has topped it compared to the respective generation, but games certainly look way nicer now. I just don't think it matters enough to harm the joy you can get out of RDR2. The further we get in graphics the more it's about getting smaller details right rather than the huge things.

I saw a picture of Liam Hemsworth as the Witcher guy but I thought was an April Fool's joke. lol. like, what? they recast the main character? of course there is going to be some drop off going on. I'll have to look into this drama to see what happened behind the scenes

I stopped way before that so I didn't pay full attention to that story but I do think there was quite a bit of friction between the showrunner and Cavill. I don't think the latter liked that they deviated so much from the original material and there was talk about him behaving badly on set.

I agree. I think I would always choose performance over fidelity. Ideally hardware should be good enough to still have an option that optimizes both, but a smoother experience is one that also feels more real as well. I suppose there are some upsides to a cinematic feeling game but there are far more drawbacks to a lower frame rate. movies themselves are like 6 frames lower per second, right? like 24fps I think

It's not really about the hardware, it's that the developers want to make a choice in how to allocate the resources at hand. If you make something that looks good and runs at 60 fps on a certain hardware you can always instead limit yourself to 30 fps and crank up the graphics, or vice versa. I certainly prefer to play with higher fps in most cases but I guess the fidelity mode has another benefit on top of that some gamers may prefer it, and it's that you can use that one to show off screenshots in your marketing and it will look a little bit better.

So if they make a PS5 Pro that can run a game with fidelity mode graphics at 60 fps, one can see it as getting both, but they could just make an even nicer looking version for the Pro and cap it at 30 if they so wished. I don't think they will do that though.

for Sony's blockbuster titles, I don't think they see it that way. there probably is no room at all for them to aim for style instead of realism. that's become kind of the overall image of PlayStation studios titles, I guess to give a far more mature approach in contrast to Nintendo titles which have a lot of games that don't need to have humanoid character mocapped for everything.

Well, they have had games like Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, which is not very realistic, but I agree that most of the games tend to lean towards being about fairly realistic humans.

I don't think anything this generation has topped it compared to the respective generation, but games certainly look way nicer now. I just don't think it matters enough to harm the joy you can get out of RDR2. The further we get in graphics the more it's about getting smaller details right rather than the huge things.
What games would you say look better than Redemption 2? The best looking games this generation probably are Spider-Man 2 or FFS7Rebirth, two games we've talked about extensively in this thread but without a side by side comparison I still feel like Redemption 2 is still the most visually impressive.
I stopped way before that so I didn't pay full attention to that story but I do think there was quite a bit of friction between the showrunner and Cavill. I don't think the latter liked that they deviated so much from the original material and there was talk about him behaving badly on set.
Whoa really? Dang, that's a little surprising since Henry Cavill is a fan favorite actor for a lot of people, part of the reason being he's a gamer. I know a lot of people want him to be the next wolverine in the MCU.
It's not really about the hardware, it's that the developers want to make a choice in how to allocate the resources at hand. If you make something that looks good and runs at 60 fps on a certain hardware you can always instead limit yourself to 30 fps and crank up the graphics, or vice versa. I certainly prefer to play with higher fps in most cases but I guess the fidelity mode has another benefit on top of that some gamers may prefer it, and it's that you can use that one to show off screenshots in your marketing and it will look a little bit better.
Right. I recall we concerned about it earlier in the thread that even with the highest end PCs, developers want to provide the option of a fidelity model versus a performance mode.

This is a me thing so maybe I should see if there's a YouTube video out there by digital foundry or nx gamer that has side by side comparisons of FFS7Rebirth and how it looks different between the two modes.

Well, they have had games like Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, which is not very realistic, but I agree that most of the games tend to lean towards being about fairly realistic humans.
I'm on mobile and accidentally pushed "post reply" before finishing my responses :whoops:

I often forget about Ratchet & Clank when thinking about Sony's blockbuster titles, and that might be because maybe it ain't a blockbuster after all.

I'm sure these games sell enough to make a profit, but I don't think the series has ever been a bestseller on a PlayStation console. And when the general public thinks about PlayStation's icons, they probably go straight to thinking about all the fairly realistic humans like Kratos, Nathan Drake, and Aloy.

Ratchet being a cute and cuddly character has more of the image portrayed by most of Nintendo's mascots.

Last edited:
Rifts Apart looks like a Pixar movie. I have played the 2013 game and it looked great. They might not have photo realistic graphics (well the characters), they still look as expensive as the big Sony games such as Spider-Man, God of War, Horizon, Last of Us, etc. Rifts Apart in a technical level, really showcased the capabilities of the PS5's specs. R/C games are blockbuster games, regardless of their popularity.

Rifts Apart looks like a Pixar movie. I have played the 2013 game and it looked great. They might not have photo realistic graphics (well the characters), they still look as expensive as the big Sony games such as Spider-Man, God of War, Horizon, Last of Us, etc. Rifts Apart in a technical level, really showcased the capabilities of the PS5's specs. R/C games are blockbuster games, regardless of their popularity.
Perhaps Ratchet & Clank can be considered a blockbuster series, but they are not as expensive as Sony's other IPs. Not even close. The budget for Rift Apart was $81 million, and the budget for tlou2 was $220 million.

Last edited:
$80 million is still a huge money and imo, any game that is considered triple A game that looks it had a "budget" should be considered as a "blockbuster" game.

$200 million also isn't the norm, only few games really get that budget and even Sony isn't having an easy time recouping their $200 million game budget, hence why we are getting these PC ports.

$80 million is still a huge money
When we look at that amount by itself, of course it is a lot but my point is that it is not even close to the budget of the other IPs you listed.
and imo, any game that is considered triple A game that looks it had a "budget" should be considered as a "blockbuster" game.
I don't know why you're putting the words budget & blockbuster in quotations but I personally wouldn't necessarily consider Ratchet & Clank a blockbuster game because by the very definition of the word, it's for an entertainment product that was a great commercial success.

Maybe I am wrong, but I don't remember any game in the Ratchet & Clank series to be on any bestsellers list for a PlayStation console, Rift Apart included. I don't see them on any list for best games in general for that matter.

And I disagree with your general idea that any game that looks like it had a budget should be considered a blockbuster game, because that's not what blockbuster means.

Anthem from Bioware was supposed to be their next big IP after Mass Effect, but failed to meet sales expectations. By your logic, since the game was AAA with a budget, it's a blockbuster. To me, the game is a flop. Basically the opposite of a blockbuster.
$200 million also isn't the norm, only few game's really get that budget
Literally every single IP you listed had at least $200 million in the budget.

Spider-Man 2: $300 million
gow Ragnarok: $200 million
Horizon Forbidden West: $212 million
Tlou2 just on Ps4: $220 million

So by all accounts, for Sony's blockbuster IPs $200 million is the norm and if we considered R&C to be a blockbuster, then this IP is the odd one out.
and even Sony isn't having an easy time recouping their $200 million game budget, hence why we are getting these PC ports.
Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart also got a PC port despite having a budget that's a fraction of the size of the budgets for those other games. These ports also come several years after the launch of the game, so I'm sure it's more than just about recouping the budget.

Last edited:
That reply is too long,so I'm just gonna comment on the last one.

You do know money coming from Pc ports isn't just to recoup the budget of a single game? It probably goes to whoever in SIE needs money.

They are now doing Pc ports because they need additional resource of income for various reasons. Unlike before, they were just fine not releasing any on PC.

Long short story, Ratchet & Clank is a blockbuster IP.

That reply is too long,so I'm just gonna comment on the last one.
That's always your excuse and if you're going to engage in a conversation with me, then you should know by now that I'm going to respond to every point you make that I have a response to.
You do know money coming from Pc ports isn't just to recoup the budget of a single game? It probably goes to whoever in SIE needs money.
You are the one who said "Sony isn't having an easy time recouping their $200 million game budget, hence why we are getting these PC ports."

You are the one that suggested that having a budget that's hundreds of millions of dollars makes it hard to recoup and for that reason, PC ports were developed.

And I countered your suggestion to say that a game that Sony made which was significantly smaller in its budget than the rest, still has a PC port.

I am the one who said "I'm sure it's more than just about recouping the budget." Are you reading my posts at all? You say you're only gonna comment on the last one, and that's literally the last thing that I wrote.
I'm sureThey are now doing Pc ports because they need additional resource of income for various reasons. Unlike before, they were just fine not releasing any on PC.

Long short story, Ratchet & Clank is a blockbuster IP.
That has nothing to do with the meaning of the word blockbuster. If you're not even going to read my responses, then why the hell are you even bothering to have a conversation with me?

What games would you say look better than Redemption 2? The best looking games this generation probably are Spider-Man 2 or FFS7Rebirth, two games we've talked about extensively in this thread but without a side by side comparison I still feel like Redemption 2 is still the most visually impressive.
In pure graphics I'd say that all the PS5 games I've played look better. When it comes to graphic design it may be a different matter, or when it comes to judging relative to its generation.
Right. I recall we concerned about it earlier in the thread that even with the highest end PCs, developers want to provide the option of a fidelity model versus a performance mode.

This is a me thing so maybe I should see if there's a YouTube video out there by digital foundry or nx gamer that has side by side comparisons of FFS7Rebirth and how it looks different between the two modes.
You can certainly do that but the most important thing will be whether you find it looking good enough on performance mode when you play it, as one generally doesn't capture as much details when playing (especially as in-engine cutscenes automatically get boosted over all normal gameplay since they can predict what will be shown and don't have to render what's outside the camera view) but the flow is more noticeable.

In pure graphics I'd say that all the PS5 games I've played look better. When it comes to graphic design it may be a different matter, or when it comes to judging relative to its generation.
The last time I played a Ps5 game was Kena, but I didn't play it for more than a minute because of the time constraints and because my mind was still on Persona 5R.

But I played a lot of Mw2 a couple of years back and while it looked good, similarly to our previous conversations it did not seem like a generation of difference between it and Ps4 CoD games. But, maybe that's because it's still cross-gen.

There is a lot of hype behind Hellblade 2. If the original trailer is an exemplar of the actual in-game footage then I think we'll have another benchmark for how good graphics should be this gen.
You can certainly do that but the most important thing will be whether you find it looking good enough on performance mode when you play it, as one generally doesn't capture as much details when playing (especially as in-engine cutscenes automatically get boosted over all normal gameplay since they can predict what will be shown and don't have to render what's outside the camera view) but the flow is more noticeable.
I am definitely a sucker for good graphics but as much as I play a video game for the eye candy, for me it always comes down to performance as the more important factor. It is just something about a faster frame rate that makes for a better gaming experience.

When I think back on it in the Ps3's generation, Uncharted 2 was very mind-blowing in how good the graphics were, but honestly I think I enjoyed the multiplayer gameplay of Modern Warfare 2 that much more, and one of the main reasons for that was definitely the faster framerate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"