the orphan works bill, basiclly the right to steal any artform

the_ultimate_evil

CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY.
Reaction score
as anyone else heard about this basically if it passes it will allow anyone to use anybody's artwork( drawings, photos, sculpture, films, fan fiction etc) without permission or repercussions. What this bill is basically proposing is that unless a work is registered for copyright [at least $5 a work], the piece is automatically available for anyone's LEGAL use, while you do not get any money.

this could cause a lot of problems for anyone trying to get a start in any form of art or media

thats ****ed up and not at the same time, people are going to abuse this law for the wrong reasons.

Man...I dont wanna be a artist now (singing voice)

i look into and read a few more pieces and what i can gather is What it does do is put in place a system of due diligence to use art & works orphaned by a copyrighting entity. In order to use an orphaned art, you have to go through a lengthy process to make ABSOLUTELY sure that the art is in play and not currently owned.

personally i still think it's bull and will be twisted beyond belief, going to have to rethink my portfolio site

Christopher Paolini should be bowing down to the dwarf god right about now. :up::o

well considering most of you probably pirate movies off the internet why are you complaining? maybe its because it puts you on the other side of the table this time?

well considering most of you probably pirate movies off the internet why are you complaining? maybe its because it puts you on the other side of the table this time?

nice way to tar everyone with a single brush:whatever:

I said "most", not "all"...and I don't think I'm wrong...

your not wrong, i don't pirate films or music and i don't condone it. but a bill like this will only effect the single artist, who can not afford the full copyright route, under the current basis if i take a photography i own the copyright to it. but on this if i don't pay to copy then anyone can use it how they like without leaving me any form of comeback, and all they have to say is they could not contact the artist.

sadly this is going to stop a lot of up and coming artists from doing any sort of living based on there work

...so basically this bill is a roundabout way of forcing people to pay to have their work registered in order to ensure copyright, otherwise it's fair game for anyone to use (assuming the creator of said work can't be 'reasonably' identified)???

I think it's bulls*** that losers try to take others work as their own but this will hopefully wake up the people that are producing the art.

A friend of mine a month or two ago said someone took her drawings as their own, she was pissed to say the least.

This bill should pass, it would be impossible for the government/state laws to regulate something like this with sites like these as well as people putting up their stuff on Myspace.

It will hopefully wake them up to say "Hey! If you don't want someone stealing your s*** either pay the cheap copyright fee or DON'T POST IT ON PUBLIC FORUMS LIKE A MORON!"

If the people don't think it's fair that they need to get their stuff copyrighted then they need to save as many brain cells as possible to hopefully have the sense to only show their stuff to trusted individuals and not on open sites or forums.

and maybe it might stop every Tom, Dick, and Harry from thinking they are entitled to make a living as an artist because "their stuff is so good its only a matter of time till they are discovered"

I was waiting for someone for this bill to post.

What does pirating movies have to do with this thread? This thread is about a bill (who even proposed it?!) that, if passed, can make steal another's artwork and make it their own. When people pirate movies, they aren't re-releasing them with their own cuts of it, or putting their name in it, or so I thought...

:confused:

What does pirating movies have to do with this thread? This thread is about a bill (who even proposed it?!) that, if passed, can make steal another's artwork and make it their own. When people pirate movies, they aren't re-releasing them with their own cuts of it, or putting their name in it, or so I thought...

:confused:

It is quite similar...its simply different instances of property being taken in an unscrupulous, and in the case of pirating movies, unlawful manner. I know its a stretch for some here but YES pirating movies is a federal offense...this bill could basically make it legal for individuals to cull the internet and pllaces like this for art, fanfiction, and what have you. So it would be legal piracy, for lack of a better term. My point basically was pointing out that its quite funny for people to be extremely opposed to this bill when they are probably stealing film and music from the internet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"