The Perfect Hulk Movie

Kirmit

Big Green Machine.
Reaction score
What elements from all of Hulk's big screen appearances do you think could make up the perfect Hulk movie?

Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner, he did a great job in the Avengers, nailing Bruce's torment and dislike for the 'other guy' but also nailed the scientist aspect to Bruce which IMO no other actor did.

Jennifer Connelly as Betty Ross, she is a great actress and did a great job in 'Hulk', I only wish her scientific side was shown as I feel she'd do a good job with it and IMO Liv Tyler failed in this aspect.

Sam Elliott as General Ross, looks wise he was spot on, as a leader he was spot on, he was more convincing as a general than William Hurt IMO but he needed Hurt's temperament and unrelenting desire to get Hulk in his hands.

Now for Hulk's appearance I think Avengers nailed it with one exception and that's simply that I love TIH's hairstyle, the messy longer hair worked really well.

As for Hulk's personality IMO no movie has explored it yet and it still remains to be seem on the big screen, we've had glimpses of it but not enough.

Those are just a few of the things that I think would work in a Hulk movie and I really interested to hear other people's ideas.

For me...funny enough...the perfect Hulk film would have a team-up film. Preferably with Iron Man. I feel like the Hulk isn't a "strong" enough character to have a film on his own.

Yeah, I agree with that. I don't find the Hulk that interesting on his own.

I disagree with that, he can be very interesting on his own as proven by his many years in the comic books. It's all a matter of creativity.

A smash-hit (pun) Hulk film needs to have the psychological factor of the 2003 film & the action / interesting villain like 2008 mixed with the fun edge of The Avengers. The Hulk doesn't really need another superhero to make his movie work, he just needs a superb team of writers that can bring the character to the light the way he deserves.

If it can be done for characters like Captain America and (incoming) Doctor Strange, Guardians of the Galaxy, etc. then it can be done for the Hulk as well.

The audience wish fufillment, and inherent comedy of seeing the Avengers Hulk break stuff or pound on people. Ruffalo's unique personality, and likability as Banner. The intensity, and themes of Ang Lee's Hulk, sans the melodrama. And the more comic book antagonists, along with the man on the run aspect of Ed Norton's film. Oh, can't forget Sam Elliott as General Ross.

Mutant French Poodles & lots of them.:hehe:

The audience wish fufillment, and inherent comedy of seeing the Avengers Hulk break stuff or pound on people. Ruffalo's unique personality, and likability as Banner. The intensity, and themes of Ang Lee's Hulk, sans the melodrama. And the more comic book antagonists, along with the man on the run aspect of Ed Norton's film. Oh, can't forget Sam Elliott as General Ross.

Subvert the man on the run aspect as a man on a mission (but acting against a militant government, so he's never safe and always moving) and you've got yourself a deal. :p

I think whatever the next movie is about, Bruce needs to be trying to take control of his life again. Or at least proactively try to stop a villain that a foolhardy General Ross has no idea how to combat except to throw military force at it.

That's why having the Leader as the villain would be great, because it becomes like a Sherlock vs Moriarty dynamic between the protagonist and antagonist. It'd allow Bruce to be the genius he is if the threat isn't simply fixed by brute force.

Though of course you'd want to have the Leader have a lackey (or lackeys, as I think the U-Foes would be great on the big screen) that gives Hulk something fun to smash.

Oh and Liv Taylor for Betty please.

Mutant French Poodles & lots of them.:hehe:

Haha! I like you. You can stay

Hulk is so tricky because to be honest all the stories I want to see are hulk dominant and marvel wants stories that are banner dominant

I disagree with that, he can be very interesting on his own as proven by his many years in the comic books. It's all a matter of creativity.

A smash-hit (pun) Hulk film needs to have the psychological factor of the 2003 film & the action / interesting villain like 2008 mixed with the fun edge of The Avengers. The Hulk doesn't really need another superhero to make his movie work, he just needs a superb team of writers that can bring the character to the light the way he deserves.

If it can be done for characters like Captain America and (incoming) Doctor Strange, Guardians of the Galaxy, etc. then it can be done for the Hulk as well.

The Hulk is one of the greatest, multi-layered characters in comics. Unfortunately, when he's seen on film, he's essentially a reimagined version of the cheesy TV show. Bruce's mind is amazingly fragmented and complex, but we've only seen glimpses of his volatile mind on film.

My perfect Hulk film would included Bruce suffering at the hands of his alcoholic father, growing both brilliant and detached during his teenage years, and finally becoming the various versions of the Hulk. The movie would spent a lot of time exploring the terrain of Bruce's mind.

I'd introduce more personas for Hulk. Joe Fixit would show up and we'd hear the internal monologues between Banner, Fixit and Hulk which would often be VERY funny.

And I'd have Hulk face off against Leader since that's such a classic rivalry

I'll give you my ideal trilogy. Starring Rufallo, you can decide on the rest of the cast.

The first film will be similar to Ang Lee's hulk, except Guillmot del Toro (sp?) Would direct, it would be about a gamma accident on a military base while undergoing gamma radiation expts (Betty gets hurt). The film would follow Banner and Ross as they discover what the Hulk is, then who the Hulk is, and end with Banner on the run.

The second would basically be The Incredible Hulk as is, but with Ruffalo. it needs to end with Banner realising he can find the Hulk useful.

The third would have come before The winter Soldier and feature The leader and a gamma bomb. Hulk will be sent by shield to attack a shield prison, taken over, in which a number of gamma monsters have been created. It should end with the Hulk realising he needs Banner and his intellect to defeat The leader, making a contrast to the end of the previous film.

The Hulk is one of the greatest, multi-layered characters in comics. Unfortunately, when he's seen on film, he's essentially a reimagined version of the cheesy TV show. Bruce's mind is amazingly fragmented and complex, but we've only seen glimpses of his volatile mind on film.

My perfect Hulk film would included Bruce suffering at the hands of his alcoholic father, growing both brilliant and detached during his teenage years, and finally becoming the various versions of the Hulk. The movie would spent a lot of time exploring the terrain of Bruce's mind.

The thing is there's so much terrain that I think it could be explored in multiple movies & not just one, which would avoid making the movie seem crammed. Plus, it's a major reason why I'm against a Planet Hulk movie. There's so much we haven't even gotten with the Hulk on Earth so it's too early to just ship him out into space.

I'd love to see Grey Hulk / Joe Fixit, Devil Hulk, Doc Green & maybe even Maestro. There's literally so much that can be done with the Hulk in a movie.

And I think it'd open him up to a much wider fanbase if Marvel showed everyone how diverse the character is. The general public are under the impression he's all about smashing & bashing but that's so untrue.

We've had the Hulk fighting against the Army several times already. Its worn out. So, no, the last thing we need is General Ross as antagonist again.

If you want to use General Ross, however, an excellent way would be as a *reluctant ally*. Use a villain ( ie, the Leader ) who is a terrible threat, and Banner and Ross need to cooperate to beat him. Sure, Ross finally gave up hunting the Hulk after TIH. . . but despite the fact that they are no longer enemies, they still really don't like each other. Both ways. Use the opportunity to delve into their relationship, and show that deep down, its really that neither man as a man likes the other, and the Hulk was ultimately just a trigger point. By the end, have them grudgingly respect each other, and get onto about as good of terms as they ever likely will.

Also, I really miss Elliot's Ross. His portrayal was so much better.

The thing is there's so much terrain that I think it could be explored in multiple movies & not just one, which would avoid making the movie seem crammed. Plus, it's a major reason why I'm against a Planet Hulk movie. There's so much we haven't even gotten with the Hulk on Earth so it's too early to just ship him out into space.

I'd love to see Grey Hulk / Joe Fixit, Devil Hulk, Doc Green & maybe even Maestro. There's literally so much that can be done with the Hulk in a movie.

And I think it'd open him up to a much wider fanbase if Marvel showed everyone how diverse the character is. The general public are under the impression he's all about smashing & bashing but that's so untrue.

Ang Lee showed a more complex interpretation, fans hated it. Smashing and bashing it is.

I think Hulk vs Rulk is long overdue now.
Yeah, they tried to hint at The Leader in TIH, but what's the likelihood of them revisiting that angle, or casting the same actor to reprise the role?
Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes did the whole Hulk-Rulk thing well, in my opinion.
Winter Soldier stealing Hulk/Banner's blood sample and injecting it into Ross (who was in the shadows, so people didn't know who it was). It would be a good way to bring TWS back in to the MCU.

Doubt that'll happen though, it's kinda obvious that
Bucky isn't under the HYDRA influence anymore, at least judging by the CA:TWS post-credit scene.

The limitations of the Hulk are that we still haven't gotten to the point where the audience (or filmmakers) are comfortable hearing him speak, which is why all his dialogue is grunting or "HULK SMASH!!!!"

I think a lot of his more interesting stories have been stuff like the Joe Fixit period under Peter David, but I don't know if the Hulk suddenly learning to talk and then becoming an Italian Mafioso thug is something you could do onscreen without it being incredibly ****ing stupid.

One thing I forgot to add was Rick Jones, he's long overdue!

I agree that it is too early for a Planet Hulk movie, but I do want to see one eventually.
Ang Lee showed a more complex interpretation, fans hated it. Smashing and bashing it is.

Pretty sure no one was bothered by the complexity, and more against seeing Hulk fight poodles and his father in a cloud. There was a lot the movie did right, but enough strange choices that turned people off.

Last edited:

Yep, it was more complex....it made him genetically mutated by his insane dad (in no Hulk comics)....it made him endure a childhood of domestic violence (in no Hulk comic)....it made him an orphan adopted by another family (in no Hulk comic)....it made him full of tissue repairing and body growing nanobots (in no Hulk comic)......making up new **** can get very complex.

One thing I forgot to add was Rick Jones, he's long overdue!
he is. and we are getting a Carol Danvers movie before Rick is ever introduced. He was such an important part in the Captain Marvel myth pre-Danvers it makes me sad thinking about that.

That said, I hope a Mark Ruffalo Hulk movie comes with recasts of certain characters, especially Betty.

Yep, it was more complex....it made him genetically mutated by his insane dad (in no Hulk comics)....it made him endure a childhood of domestic violence (in no Hulk comic)....it made him an orphan adopted by another family (in no Hulk comic)....it made him full of tissue repairing and body growing nanobots (in no Hulk comic)......making up new **** can get very complex.

What? But didn't they take that directly from the comics? In there, Bruce even killed his dad by accident.

They could take it more psychological I suppose...to a degree. Maybe even allow Banner to talk to the Hulk in a dream state. Though we have already seen Banner is in control now since Avengers so we wouldn't need a film to go to indepth into the Banner/Hulk issue.

They could take it more psychological I suppose...to a degree. Maybe even allow Banner to talk to the Hulk in a dream state. Though we have already seen Banner is in control now since Avengers so we wouldn't need a film to go to indepth into the Banner/Hulk issue.

That is one thing I'd love to see, Banner and Hulk, face to face in their mind.

Also, Bruce did have a very abusive father in the comics.

Last edited:
The whole thing with Bruce's father killing his mother in front of him was pretty damned faithful to the comics. The hulk himself was born from all the mistreatment Bruce suffered from his old man as a kid.

The whole thing with Bruce's father killing his mother in front of him was pretty damned faithful to the comics. The hulk himself was born from all the mistreatment Bruce suffered from his old man as a kid.

His childhood trauma was actually something I liked about the film.
Him turning into Shrek and fighting poodles and Nick Nolte in the sky was too much for me though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"