The Rayne Summers Webcomic Scholarship

Drakon

I got a rock.
Reaction score
http://forums.leasticoulddo.com/index.php?showtopic=30912

Never does a day pass when Lar and I don’t realize how fortunate we are for the careers that we have. The fact that we are able to spend 12 hours a day doing something that we love, and that it sustains us and our families, never ceases to amaze.

I have always been vocal about my beliefs regarding a career in webcomics. It is takes a great deal of work and dedication, a greater deal of luck and a myriad of other ingredients to make it work, but it CAN work. A career in this field is a viable option. Like anything else however, an education would provide a huge leg up.

Because of that, and our desire to help others break through, we have decided to create The Rayne Summers Webcomic Scholarship, at The Center for Cartoon Studies in Vermont.

The Center for Cartoon Studies (CCS) offers a two-year course of study that centers on the creation and dissemination of comics, graphic novels and other manifestations of the visual narrative. Experienced and internationally recognized cartoonists, writers, and designers teach classes. The school is located in historic downtown village of White River Junction, Vermont, in the old Colodny Surprise Department Store.

Beginning in the fall of ’10, we will be covering the full tuition for the selected applicant. The applicant who, I might add, is working towards a career in webcomics. Over the course of the next 5 years, we plan on adding 1 student per year, thus by 2015, the Scholarship will be putting 5 students through the program per year.

This scholarship will be managed by Blind Ferret, though there will be heavy involvement from others in our field, in the form of a board of Directors and a selection committee.

More information will be forthcoming in the next couple of weeks, including fund raising events, application rules and deadlines and more. Keep an eye on this space.

All in all, this is something we’re all very excited to be offering.

- Because I can.

I know a lot of us read LICD/LFG, but I thought that this was a brilliant idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"