The Amazing Spider-Man 2 The Rhino: Suit Vs. Cross-Species

SpideyFan866

Avenger
Reaction score
With confirmation finally coming from Marc Webb that Aleksei Sytsevich a.k.a. The Rhino is in ASM2, it begs the question of which version of the Rhino would fans prefer.

A cross-species version, similar to The Lizard in ASM and the version featured in ASM: the game; a robotic suit like the Ultimate Rhino, Alex O'hirn; a mix of genetic AND cybernetic enhancements like the classic 616 version of which the character with which the film version shares the same name (Aleksei) or a new interpretation altogether?

Last edited:
well we have this, could be Electro but it´s something:
PHMeZVPKRoWGRQ_1_m.jpg

If its a suit they won't be able to say he can't remove it, so I dunno how it would work if he ever returned in another film

Either, just no robotics/mech. Although, given recent "disappointments", I'll just be happy with something comic Rhino-like on the big screen.

I definitely want to see a robotic/mech-suit!
Of course a cross species Rhino would fit more into the whole story, but I just don't think it's clever to have yet another mutated human-animal-hybrid.. They have to be innovative! Show us something unprecedented! (at least in the spidey movie verse) :)

@ GuestStar2004: Oh I'm sure they could explain it! Remember Raimi's Doc Ock? ;) we had something similar back then. His robotic arms bonded with him and from then he wasn't able to remove them.

I'm thinking it will be robotic, but not sure if they will go down that route a la Iron Man 2 - Russian in a suit.

Cross-species physical enhancements with a mecha suit on top.

A suit to separate Rhino from the cross-species stuff, which seems likely to resurface with Green Goblin.

USM. Robotic/Mech. We haven't seen much of a robotic suit aspect in Spidey cinema yet. I think it would be real cool. And I think if designed right, The Rhino by himself is easily iconic and distinguishable from designs such as the Iron Monger or anything.

I think cross-species is what we're likely to get. They seem to be deliberately setting up a series through-line involving Oscorp and gene-splicing, and I think it's very likely that the Sinister Six will be set up largely through cross-species testing being done on patients/prisoners at Ravencroft.

I can see why people would want to see more variety than that, but I don't see Rhino being more than a minor villain anyway—he might make a one-scene appearance here and be a member of the Sinister Six, but I doubt it'll be more than that. Personally, I like their attempt to have some coherence.

I'd prefer a more 616 route, but for the movie I'd take the Ultimate version over another cross-species. I don't want to see TASM series to devolve into cross-species villains as a gimmick and be defined by that.

I want it to be as close to 616 as possible.

I don't want him to be just a puny guy in a robotic suit. Souless.

I want it to be as close to 616 as possible.

I don't want him to be just a puny guy in a robotic suit. Souless.

How is that any more soulless than a man in Rhino-like suite ala 616 or repeating the cross-species concept.

I'd rather see a guy in a robotic mech suit than cross species. It adds more variety to the villains and shows the expansiveness of Oscorp's business. I also wouldn't mind if the suit was removable (he's supposed to be a fairly minor villain, after all). Here's hoping he suits up in this one, because building up his character in ASM2 to become Rhino in ASM3 just wouldn't make sense to me.

it just occurred to me how does 616 rhino go to the bathroom if he's trapped in the suit

If we get the guy in this picture:

amazing-spider-man-2-rhino-giamatti-570x379.jpeg

Inside a 10-12 foot tall mech suit. I would be thrilled. That would be quite a threat for Puny Parker.

He could end up being a low-level thug that was payed to steal the mech suit and trying to get revenge, so he wouldn't be truly evil. Who knows.

I don't know what I would've really wanted for Rhino, though. I like the giant mech suit, I like the idea TSSM had and I liked the cross-species idea that was in the TAS-M game even.

He could end up being a low-level thug that was payed to steal the mech suit and trying to get revenge, so he wouldn't be truly evil. Who knows.

I don't know what I would've really wanted for Rhino, though. I like the giant mech suit, I like the idea TSSM had and I liked the cross-species idea that was in the TAS-M game even.

Like you said he's a thug though, so that makes it something new for a Spider-Man movie. It would be cool if the suit was in van so he climbed into the back, suit up, then bust open the van's back doors and charge at the police cars.

Thugs can have some sappy story on why they're thugs which wouldn't make them purely evil.

A robotic suit would be best. Cross species with a rhino might seem a bit too derivative of The Lizard's condition in the first movie.

Again, I would like to see something like the power lifter suit from alien, but closely resembling a rhino. Like an industrial version of the USM rhino suit with exposed pistons and cables protruding and stuff... Spidey could disable the suit by picking off important parts, ripping out cables and wires. Like the aesthetics of the robots in Star Wars, where you can see how they work sort of, and they look like they serve a real purpose other than just being robots. Like the early version of C3PO from Ugh Episode I. Where you can see how he works in a way, and if that IS Rhino they are welding in that pic, possibly some hand made sheet metal as a thin skin around the arms and legs and some thin metal plates on the torso.