The Amazing Spider-Man 2 The Rhino: Suit Vs. Cross-Species

Robotic suit like this but it doesn't have to be that big

rhino-spider-man-2.jpg

The Rhino needs to be unique. Anyone can run a robotic unit.

The Rhino needs to be unique. Anyone can run a robotic unit.

And anyone can take a cross species serum containing rhino DNA and get transformed into a Rhino. Anyone could have had a rhino suit grafted onto their skin (which doesn't really make sense as to why they would even exist).
Rhino was always a volunteer, it
could have been anyone else, there was nothing special or unique about him.

Because what we have (616) is great and would it would be nice to see it on screen. If you want something new, create a new character, not a poor interpretation of an existing one (MANDARIN).

And enough of this cross-species ****. I hated the angle of theSSM series of having Oscorp a villain making factory. What was great about the building of Spider-Man's rogues gallery in the comics is that they came from different places using differing branches of science. This created a whole-universe idea- that these extraordinary things were everywhere, not just in isolated and improbable places. And the idea that Oscorp could be so diverse in terms of scientific research is about as ridiculous as Tony Stark conceiving of a cure for Extremis while drunk and knowing little to nothing about the science itself.

What's ridiculous about Oscorp being very diverse? Everything they are researching ties to prolonging and eventually curing Osborn's illness. They would research all types of sciences to that. Robotics (augmentations), medicine, untested experimental procedures, everything is done for Osborn. Rhino's 616 story wouldn't work on screen, because where the hell would he get a rhino suit, and better yet why would an organic rhino suit even exist in the first place? Why a rhino? That's cheesy. The cross species formula makes sense in that rhino's have very tough skin, it could be seen as a way to produce an organic kevalar for humans. Make their skin as tough as a rhino's. And having Oscorp be the center of everything always for the universe to not seem as convulated or random if all these crops of villains were popping out of the woodwork for no reason beyond "That's how it happened in the comics".

A LOT of Spidey's villians are animal based, the cross species formula allows for it to not seem so forced. Why the hell would a villian pose as an animal? This always an explanation for that.

And anyone can take a cross species serum containing rhino DNA and get transformed into a Rhino. Anyone could have had a rhino suit grafted onto their skin (which doesn't really make sense as to why they would even exist).

this

why would they create a suit that looks like a rhino?

cross spieces works because it links alot together, the serum connors was tryin to create for norman, peters parents role in the spiders that may be pretty much gene splicin also, and also he will probably be stuck lookin like a rhino form for good, if it was a suit he couldnt be stuck in it unable to remove it.

Cool your jets peoples

Last edited:

cross spieces works because it links alot together, the serum connors was tryin to create for norman, peters parents role in the spiders that may be pretty much gene splicin also, and also he will probably be stuck lookin like a rhino form for good, if it was a suit he couldnt be stuck in it unable to remove it.

Cool your jets peoples

I just don't want the uniqueness of the villains to be dragged down by "hey let's make them ALL cross-species because then it makes sense I think"

it might make a little sense from the story view but it's just not that fun

What if its like SM3's VG version of Rhino?

Body enhancements with body armor. This would probably bring Norman closer to perfecting the serum because all that would happen is Aleksei would get more muscular and grow probably two feet.

Norman could fix that by making him less bulky, but still muscular, and make him only a foot taller.

I still like the idea of a mechanized suit that looks practical as an aparatus for heavy lifting, but heavily modified, and it looks like a rhino.

You see all the pistons and shafts turning and moving, and spidey knocks them all out and disables him. A very intricate CGI mechanized villain that is using this heavy lifter suit to steal something from Oscorp. Of cours PGs face would be visible under a huge horn or spike on the head.

Yeah, and we've already seen the robotic suits done to death in Iron Man and the cross-species thing in ASM. We haven't seen the like of 616 Rhino. And.. As we've seen so many times, another explanation for the Rhino's power can be created as opposed to a permanent grafting of the suit to his body (although that wasn't the explanation as in the silver age books the suit could be removed).

The Rhino was unique in that it took time and a process to create him, not an instantaneous transformation or simply climbing into a robotic unit.

What's ridiculous about Oscorp being very diverse? Everything they are researching ties to prolonging and eventually curing Osborn's illness. They would research all types of sciences to that. Robotics (augmentations), medicine, untested experimental procedures, everything is done for Osborn. Rhino's 616 story wouldn't work on screen, because where the hell would he get a rhino suit, and better yet why would an organic rhino suit even exist in the first place? Why a rhino? That's cheesy. The cross species formula makes sense in that rhino's have very tough skin, it could be seen as a way to produce an organic kevalar for humans. Make their skin as tough as a rhino's. And having Oscorp be the center of everything always for the universe to not seem as convulated or random if all these crops of villains were popping out of the woodwork for no reason beyond "That's how it happened in the comics".

Simply because Osborn needs every frickin' form of science under the sun doesn't mean it would be realistically available to him. Just as it was insane that Stark could build an army of suits when just one would have to cost over a billion dollars.

And it isn't for "no reason other than that's how it happened in the comics" as in you know, the real world, criminals and technology come "popping out of the woodwork" and not from a single source, so too should it be to give these movies and sense of dimension and reality. It's too simplistic and frankly silly that all would be perfect in Peter's world but for Norman Osborn. Are we going to learn that Osborn arranged for Peter parents to spawn as well?

And why a Rhino? For the exact reason they're using him for this film and multiple video games- because the idea of a human with the power and speed of a rhinoceros is pretty badass.

Last edited:
I'm thinking it's gonna be cross-species which honestly doesn't bother me. I'd prefer a robotic suit, but I'm happy either way. As long as I get to see him charging through NY and flipping cars and stuff, I'll be glad.

I purely want to see something different from the cross-species lizard we got in ASM. I liked the Lizard, don't get me wrong. I just like diversity. So if they go the avenue of robotic suit for Rhino, I'll be more satisfied.

That being said, its their job to make this seem plausible in the movie. i.e. Why is Oscorp responsible for both cross-species Spider-Man and Lizard, while at the same time robotic Rhino? Thrill me Marc Webb.

"We've already seen the robotic suits done to death in Iron Man..."
But Spider-Man isn't Iron Man. Pacific Rim is about a giant robot suit, yet that doesn't make you think of "Iron Man". Hell, if anything it could potentially help tie this to the MCU if necessary by saying it's a Hulkbuster protoype or something. And Rhino is NOT unique for getting his powers through some "process", because that's exactly like Scorpion got his powers. A volunteer who went through a process of being encased into a suit that gave him powers, only for it to be permantley grafted to his skin, so no Rhino isn't unique for that reason, not even within the Spider-Man rogues gallery.

Cool your jets peoples

They'd create an armored suite that happens to built of gray plating, designed for whatever military application you please. The horn could be something used like you would a bayonette blade. The mechanical specifications in the arm units could allow the user to fire off multiple punches in rapid succession; the mechanical specs in the leg units could allow the user to run faster than the average human is capable of.

Here, you have a practical Rhino outfit.

And why wouldn't it be realistic for Oscorp to be a general corporation? They haven't ever been truly been focused on ONE field in any of the comics. Even in Raimi's movies they were
working with military weapons and robotics(Glider, Goblin Suit), and enhancers/medicines (Goblin serum). AND power/energy (Doc Ock's reactor core in SM2, which was being displayed FOR Oscorp).

I doubt the GA would really be troubled over Oscorp having some sort of mech development. If the company is as powerful as TASM led me to believe, I don't see mech dev outside the realm of possibility. Besides, if Sony wants a longer franchise, they can have some of the mech dev division--headed by Smythe--join with one of Oscorp's rivals. That way there's always the option of Spider-Slayers down the line.

"We've already seen the robotic suits done to death in Iron Man..."
But Spider-Man isn't Iron Man.

Which is why we don't need to see an Iron Man type villain in Spider-Man. We didn't need to see that type of villain in Iron Man after a while either.

Pacific Rim is about a giant robot suit, yet that doesn't make you think of "Iron Man".

You said it yourself- a GIANT ROBOT SUIT. Which is a genre in and of itself and is pretty tiresome as well.

Hell, if anything it could potentially help tie this to the MCU if necessary by saying it's a Hulkbuster protoype or something.

First, you have no reason whatsoever to bring up tying anything into the MCU, since its clear that Sony is clutching Spidey as tightly as possible.
And since the 616 Rhino comes from you know, MARVEL and was in addition to Spider-Man an arch-nemesis to the Hulk it's already tied in.

And Rhino is NOT unique for getting his powers through some "process", because that's exactly like Scorpion got his powers. A volunteer who went through a process of being encased into a suit that gave him powers, only for it to be permantley grafted to his skin, so no Rhino isn't unique for that reason, not even within the Spider-Man rogues gallery.

And when have we seen this in the movies, which is the matter of discussion? If the Scorpion had already appeared in the films then you'd have a point. But only a small point, since we have already seen the other options of Cross-gen and robotics on screen as well. So how about making the character as he was created? Just for kicks?

I doubt the GA would really be troubled over Oscorp having some sort of mech development. If the company is as powerful as TASM led me to believe, I don't see mech dev outside the realm of possibility. Besides, if Sony wants a longer franchise, they can have some of the mech dev division--headed by Smythe--join with one of Oscorp's rivals. That way there's always the option of Spider-Slayers down the line.

*claps* *claps*
I was thinking about this same exact thing today. And c'mon it's Oscorp we're talking about. They're working on such a wide variety of things.

And why wouldn't it be realistic for Oscorp to be a general corporation? They haven't ever been truly been focused on ONE field in any of the comics. Even in Raimi's movies they were
working with military weapons and robotics(Glider, Goblin Suit), and enhancers/medicines (Goblin serum). AND power/energy (Doc Ock's reactor core in SM2, which was being displayed FOR Oscorp).

It's not realistic that they would cover every form of science. Developing the Lizard, the Rhino and the goblin are different branches of science requiring their own unique facilities and not all under one roof. We're also seeing that Electro is now the result of Oscorp as well. It's too much.

Again- the comics are classic for a reason. The filmmakers need to stop trying to re-invent the wheel (Especially since their engineering is always faulty) and just work on making good films from the source material.

*claps* *claps*
I was thinking about this same exact thing today. And c'mon it's Oscorp we're talking about. They're working on such a wide variety of things.

If Stark Industries can work on "advanced robotics," "satellite targeting," clean sustainable energy, etc. Then I'm pretty sure Oscorp can have multiple facets as well.

How powerful did TASM lead you to believe Oscorp is? Because based on that film, Oscorp couldn't seem to do a damn thing right. Connors was working for at least the length of Peter's lifetime and failing. Osborn couldn't find a cure for himself. Their security was non-existent the way Peter slipped in and out of the place like it was a public restroom.

And how about Smythe simply having his own corporation with no ties to Oscorp? Just like there are other computer corps besides Microsoft...

That suit in pr0xy's quote is what I was thinking; it looks like the face is exposed. That way we can see Giamatti acting.

Security issues (this one bugged me too, btw) =/= Oscorp's R&D. I doubt something like the lizard serum could be whipped up overnight. I doubt we'll see Smythe in this film or in part 3. Thus, you can have him using the research he did at Oscorp as leverage at whatever corporation he'd be working at. That would let Smythe effectively be the top dog. This last bit about Smythe was just an idea to keep the films moving with a natural sort of flow.