World The science of Superman

Because a hard-science-based Superman would be boring to read. 'Super-science'/magic is basically plot spackle that allows the writer to use fantastical elements without needing PhDs in multiple fields to explain it all. More importantly, escapist fiction (particularly superhero stories) exist specifically because 'realistic' stories get stuffy and dull, which allows it to do things on a much bigger scale.

I find Superman realistic BECAUSE he's impossible. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Natgeo's sPecial on the Science of Superman as much as the next guy (youtube it) but if we keep confining Superman to the laws of science as we know them, he loses something.

I agree. The problem when injecting 'realism' into superhero stories is that the more fantastical elements start to look more and more ridiculous by comparison. Take The Dark Knight, for example (and yes, I loved TDK, but that doesn't mean I can't pick at it) The Nolan movies have gone so far out of their way to stay realistic and 'gritty,' so when the Joker is somehow able to stuff three whole public and very visible buildings (one of which being a crowded hospital) and two ferry-boats with tons of explosives, with nobody noticing despite it realistically requiring several days' worth of effort--there's no decent explanation. If you stick to hard science and realism, there's no conceivable way he could have done even half of the crap he pulled (especially during the big chase scene) At least with Superman, you can answer whatever insane logic gap by going "oh yeah, he's Superman."

"Science" should not apply to explaining why Superman has his powers, but rather how he can use them.
He should be limited by the laws of physics in his super feats and rescues. Rather than watching Superman simply do the impossible, it challenges writers to create clever and intelligent rescue methods for Superman to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"