The Science Fiction Appreciation Thread

[A]

Avenger
Reaction score

Science fiction is a film genre that uses science fiction*: speculative, science-based depictions of phenomena that aren't necessarily accepted by mainstream science, such as extra-terrestrial life forms, alien worlds, esp, and time travel, often along with futuristic elements such as spacecraft, robots, or other technologies. Science fiction films have often been used to focus on political or social issues, and to explore philosophical issues like the human condition. In many cases, tropes derived from written science fiction may be used by filmmakers ignorant of or at best indifferent to the standards of scientific plausibility and plot logic to which written science fiction is traditionally held.

The genre has existed since the early years of silent cinema, when Georges Melies' A Trip to the Moon (1902) amazed audiences with its trick photography effects. The next major example in the genre was the 1927 film Metropolis. From the 1930s to the 1950s, the genre consisted mainly of low-budget B-movies. After Stanley Kubrick's 1968 landmark 2001: A Space Odyssey, the science fiction film genre was taken more seriously. In the late 1970s, big-budget science fiction films filled with special effects became popular with audiences and paved the way for the blockbuster hits of subsequent decades.

*duh introduction, courtesy of wikipedia :up:

But yeah -- this is the place to talk about sci-fi movies (and some tv series too, why not)

Disclaimer: no special prize for those who guess all the movies in the little collage I made yesterday :woot:

You'd have to re-post the collage without the text. :oldrazz:

You have some double-ups in there. Still, I'm surprised to see Quiet Earth in there too. :woot:

science fiction is my favorite genre by a mile.
sci-fi has produced some of the greatest classics of all time but time and time again sci-fi movie are over looked at the oscars.

I love science fiction! Most of my favorite movies are sci-fi:

Star Wars trilogy
Aliens
Blade Runner
Terminator & T2
Star Trek (2009)
Predator

etc.

Oh, I'm a big ol' Sci-Fi fan. Twilight Zone is my favorite series of all time. I enjoy all varieties of sci-fi movies and TVs. 2001, Solaris, Alien, Star Trek (post-TOS shows and excluding the current reboot), Blade Runner, Matrix, and one of my newest favorites, The Fountain, as well as a variety of others modern and not-so modern

Last edited:
..hmm I didn't think of The Fountain while making this collage :O

Can movies like "Passion Of The Christ" & "The Ten Commandments" be counted as Biblical Science Fiction?

Is there any science in the bible..?

I'll be watching Blade Runner tonight for the first time in years. I'm pretty ecstatic to see if it impresses me ever more....

THX CHOME-BOT!

children of men is great but surely there are other movies tha could have filled that second spot

One of the things that I think we're really lucky with in science fiction films is that there are too definite strains. You've got your high brow intellectual fare, Metropolis, 2001, Blade Runner, for example, and your pulpier fare, Star Wars for instance, and the two exist side by side just fine and are able to be appreciated for their own qualities.

Can movies like "Passion Of The Christ" & "The Ten Commandments" be counted as Biblical Science Fiction?
:huh::dry::huh: ....I am trying really really hard to think where in the bible there is ANY science.

Anyways, my top ten sci-fi movies (as of now):

1. The Matrix
2. 2001: A space odyssey
3. Alien
4. T2
5. District 9
6. The Day the Earth Stood Still (original of course!)
7. Blade Runner
8. Akira
9. Empire Strikes Back
10. Planet of the Apes (original)

My list of most underrated sci-fi films: (note: Im not necessarily ranking quality....more like "underratedness" But I like all these films and they deserve more love from general audiences :up:

1. Gattaca
2. K-Pax
3. The Hulk
4. The Thing
5. Solaris

Oh and sci-fi IS the best genre ever. It can't be beat. Good sci-fi films are really thought provoking and deep...but entertaining as well. Not many genres can do this.

:huh::dry::huh: ....I am trying really really hard to think where in the bible there is ANY science.

Anyways, my top ten sci-fi movies (as of now):

1. The Matrix
2. 2001: A space odyssey
3. Alien
4. T2
5. District 9
6. The Day the Earth Stood Still (original of course!)
7. Blade Runner
8. Akira
9. Empire Strikes Back
10. Planet of the Apes (original)

My list of most underrated sci-fi films: (note: Im not necessarily ranking quality....more like "underratedness" But I like all these films and they deserve more love from general audiences :up:

1. Gattaca
2. K-Pax
3. The Hulk
4. The Thing
5. Solaris

Oh and sci-fi IS the best genre ever. It can't be beat. Good sci-fi films are really thought provoking and deep...but entertaining as well. Not many genres can do this.

Agreed, saw it a couple of days ago, i love it.

[A];18048580 said:

two separate thoughts. I was suprised and excited to see the chrome robots from THX

then i was commenting that there were two seperate pics from children of men (which is a great flick)

sorry that is a quite random post in retrospect

The thing about The Matrix is that it really stands the test of time. I was so disappointed in the sequels that I didn't think much of the first movie for years. I wrote it off the few times I thought of it, because the sequels really tainted the movie for me. I watched it again last year, and it is really really good. When it came out in high school, I was just wowed by the effects. Now I see the deeper story that can be an allegory for the way society is. It's a really great example of how sci-fi can mix a great message with great action. That's why I love the genre so much. It can wow you, and it can rock your socks off at the same time.

I eagerly yearn for more of the sci-fi thinking man's blockbuster. Matrix is by far the best example, and it's a shame not much has come in the way of challenging that title. Minority Report (also great) is the last time I can remember a sci-fi blockbuster tried to be philosophical in some form.

And before anyone brings it up, I know District 9 is highly praised here, but honestly it was a fresh movie that didn't much in the way of pushing the envelope (storywise). It's good, and the success helps the genre in the right direction. But I'd still prefer a film that fires on all fronts.

..and for those too curious about it, here's the image without the text :oldrazz:

scifio.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"