The Shark Thread

zombie vs shark

[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hSPG9QQg4C0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hSPG9QQg4C0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]

Gotta love youtube comments. I'm not going to go fishing for the post, but I find it hilarious that the most recently shown comments were ones like, "IT'S FAKE!!! ZOMBIES aren't REAL!!!".

I like Sharks, I also like the movie JAWS.

Gotta love youtube comments. I'm not going to go fishing for the post, but I find it hilarious that the most recently shown comments were ones like, "IT'S FAKE!!! ZOMBIES aren't REAL!!!".
Oh, don't even get me started on YouTubers. There was a video (of incredibly ****** quality) of an orca supposedly killing a white shark. Of course, this has been documented before, but there's no reliable footage of the occurrences that I'm aware of.

In any case, somebody tried to argue that it was IMPOSSIBLE for such an event to occur because orcas inhabit cold oceanic regions exclusively and that white sharks inhabit only tropical waters.

There are a lot of would-be experts out there. Then again, that's not limited only to sharks...

I know sharks don't WANT to eat humans but i'm never, NEVER going to swim witha Great White, bad place no. no way

I know sharks don't WANT to eat humans but i'm never, NEVER going to swim witha Great White, bad place no. no way
The thing with great whites is that you're far less likely to be attacked if you're on the ocean floor than if you're at the surface. If you have a 10-foot pole you're even better off. They'd likely be curious and even appear menacing, and they'd likely start circling you trying to get a better idea of what you are, but a gentle nudge will actually do the trick to deter them.

The problem is when they get bold enough to come closer; they may try to figure out just what you are by "nibbling" you (which to us would seem far more than a "nibble" of course, lol).

It's awesome how you're so knowledgeable about sharks, Carcharodon. You've destroyed quite a bit of my misconceptions about them little buggers. Much appreciated.

Oh, and I too like the movie Jaws. Don't know what scares me more: the shark or being in the middle of nowhere.

I've been fascinated with sharks from a very early age. Theres just something spectacular about them IMO. And it might just be me, but I like dangerous things, always have, always will!

I've seen footage of Great White's breaching the surface like a Dolphin, it is one of the most amazing things in the natural world. A 2 tonne hulk of muscle flying 15-20ft in the air, amazing.

Oh, don't even get me started on YouTubers. There was a video (of incredibly ****** quality) of an orca supposedly killing a white shark. Of course, this has been documented before, but there's no reliable footage of the occurrences that I'm aware of.

In any case, somebody tried to argue that it was IMPOSSIBLE for such an event to occur because orcas inhabit cold oceanic regions exclusively and that white sharks inhabit only tropical waters.

There are a lot of would-be experts out there. Then again, that's not limited only to sharks...

Not to mention the fact that Great Whites are regularly seen off the coast of South Africa. Which is not exactly tropical waters. It's what a couple hundred miles from Antarctica?

Not to mention the fact that Great Whites are regularly seen off the coast of South Africa. Which is not exactly tropical waters. It's what a couple hundred miles from Antarctica?
Yep. As far as I know it's the only white shark sub-population that preys upon penguins.

It's awesome how you're so knowledgeable about sharks, Carcharodon. You've destroyed quite a bit of my misconceptions about them little buggers. Much appreciated.

Oh, and I too like the movie Jaws. Don't know what scares me more: the shark or being in the middle of nowhere.
Thanks, dude. To be honest, this thread was intended as a bit of an outlet for me. I can only talk about them so much to my girlfriend before she tells me to shut the **** up, and I suffer sometimes from a compulsive need to lecture. :csad:

The thing with great whites is that you're far less likely to be attacked if you're on the ocean floor than if you're at the surface.

...they may try to figure out just what you are by "nibbling" you (which to us would seem far more than a "nibble" of course, lol).

I remember hearing that, that some shark bites are more about the shark feeling out what it is rather than intending to snack on you. Of course with their powerful jaws and sharp teeth a test nibble can still be life threatening. I've also heard getting bit by a baracuda can be dangerous if your deep and can't get to the surface quick.

The ocean floor thing makes sense too. Since Sharks are looking at the shadows (i.e. you look like a plump seal = snack time), being deeper would probably make you harder to detect.

Also that's why they're colored like that isn't it? White belly to mix in with the bright light when seen from below, and dark top to blend in with ocean depths when seen from above.

I remember hearing that, that some shark bites are more about the shark feeling out what it is rather than intending to snack on you. Of course with their powerful jaws and sharp teeth a test nibble can still be life threatening. I've also heard getting bit by a baracuda can be dangerous if your deep and can't get to the surface quick.

The ocean floor thing makes sense too. Since Sharks are looking at the shadows (i.e. you look like a plump seal = snack time), being deeper would probably make you harder to detect.
It's not so much a matter of being harder to detect (in fact, they can see you just fine...there are stories of people being "examined" by white sharks on the bottom).

The hunting strategy of an adult white shark is almost entirely ambush. They prefer the advantage of surprise, hence the "attack from below at enormous speed" strategy that you see in these videos of breaching sharks.

Physiologically speaking, white sharks (and other Lamnids) are capable of incredible bursts of speed and energy, but don't have the best endurance capability. And, when they're dealing with larger prey, they tend to want to avoid confrontation for their own protection, and to conserve energy by avoiding a drawn out struggle.

So that's sort of the reason for that.

FadingCB said:
Also that's why they're colored like that isn't it? White belly to mix in with the bright light when seen from below, and dark top to blend in with ocean depths when seen from above.
Exactly. If you read about this coloration scheme, you'll often see it referred to as countershading.

Last edited:
The thing with great whites is that you're far less likely to be attacked if you're on the ocean floor than if you're at the surface. If you have a 10-foot pole you're even better off. They'd likely be curious and even appear menacing, and they'd likely start circling you trying to get a better idea of what you are, but a gentle nudge will actually do the trick to deter them.

The problem is when they get bold enough to come closer; they may try to figure out just what you are by "nibbling" you (which to us would seem far more than a "nibble" of course, lol).
Yeah...sharks don't have fingers like we do so to figure out what something is they gently bite it. However, a bite from a shark with sharp teeth can be deadly. Great Whites are the most prominently known for these bites but they leave men alone most of the time after the exploratory bite because we aren't appetizing to them. However, Bull sharks eat anything so we are fair game to them.

It's not so much a matter of being harder to detect (in fact, they can see you just fine...there are stories of people being "examined" by white sharks on the bottom).

The hunting strategy of an adult white shark is almost entirely ambush. They prefer the advantage of surprise, hence the "attack from below at enormous speed" strategy that you see in these videos of breaching sharks.

Physiologically speaking, white sharks (and other Lamnids) are capable of incredible bursts of speed and energy, but don't have the best endurance capability. And, when they're dealing with larger prey, they tend to want to avoid confrontation for their own protection, and to conserve energy by avoiding a drawn out struggle.

So that's sort of the reason for that.
Yeah Whites especially bite their prey and allow it to bleed to death so that they can more easily consume their prey without harming their vital organs from say a bite or a scratch from a seal that could harm their sensory organs. They also as you said come up quick from below to stun their prey to safely consume.

I love sharks. One of my career goals is to specialize in the study of elasmobranchs (sharks, skates and rays) in general, and I'm well on my way.

So, even though most of my threads die within a week or two, here goes anyway. This is a thread for the discussion of these amazing predators. Ask questions, post cool pics, whatever.

Aaaand...go.
This thread, Like sharks...= Awesome. I love sharks too!

SsM= SupersharkMan

I don't know what sharks you are referring to... could these possibly be the same as the awesome sharks that jump out of the water?

I don't know what kind of shark that is, but it has guaranteed that I will never go into the ocean.

"it's fake cuz why didn't the zombie bite the camera man it's FAKE!!!!!!!!!!! " I like that comment on the shark vs zombie video.

I know, but still. They scare the **** out of me :csad:

I like sharks too, I'm just never getting in a situation where they can like me better. For dinner.

Great Whites are the most prominently known for these bites but they leave men alone most of the time after the exploratory bite because we aren't appetizing to them.
Actually, I completely disagree with this idea. I think that given the opportunity, white sharks will follow up (and have followed up) on that initial bite by consuming a person.

Think of this in terms of their hunting strategy. One massively powerful bite, the prey bleeds out and dies, and the shark returns to finish its meal.

In most countries, people rarely surf or dive solo. In Chile, however, these activities have been commonplace, particularly when diving for abalone. In the U.S., there's typically a "buddy-system."

So in most countries, it happens like this:

1) Initial bite/attack.
2) Shark hangs back.
3) The diver is helped/removed from the water.

In countries like Chile:

1) Initial bite/attack.
2) Shark hangs back.
3) No help for the victim. Victim bleeds out/dies.
4) The shark returns to feed as if it had attacked, say, a seal.

I'm of the opinion that we're a perfectly acceptable meal for a white shark, even if the initial attack is a case of mistaken identity. There are many cases where the shark has returned to the victim and consumed the remains, and there are many divers that have simply gone missing...

The explanation that we simply aren't appetizing to white sharks was an attempt to explain the initial bite and apparent abandonment. However, with an understanding of their hunting strategy (as you yourself have explained) it seems far more likely that it is a normal hunting behavior. Observed behavior after attacks have indicated that the shark doesn't actually leave. It goes to depth and waits in the general area.

Yeah...sharks don't have fingers like we do so to figure out what something is they gently bite it. However, a bite from a shark with sharp teeth can be deadly.
They may have other ways of "feeling" out their prey as well.

Before many attacks, people have reported feeling something "brush" up against them under the water. Typically, they describe it as a slightly abrasive feeling, but most often there's no actual (or perceived) pain.

For anybody unfamiliar with shark anatomy, their skin is covered by tiny "teeth" called denticles. These can be highly abrasive. For this reason, shark skin is used as a sort of sandpaper by many tribes of Pacific islands.

Well, last I heard, there were tiny receptor organs/structures discovered underneath dentacles on the heads of some sharks. In form and function, these resembled taste buds.

It's not entirely outside of the realm of reason to postulate that by "rubbing up" against their prey in a slightly abrasive fashion, perhaps out of curiosity, they can taste it, especially if they induce small-scale bleeding.

Again, I haven't kept up with that, but needless to say it's a bit creepy and a LOT awesome. :up:

Last edited:
When I was younger I was obsessed with sharks. I read everything I could about them and still have all these different types of books on them from when I was a kid. I used to be able to name 30 or 40 different sharks.

I still watch Shark Week every year. Only thing I watch on discovery now besides Man vs. Wild.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"