The Shark Thread

Actually, I completely disagree with this idea. I think that given the opportunity, white sharks will follow up (and have followed up) on that initial bite by consuming a person.

Think of this in terms of their hunting strategy. One massively powerful bite, the prey bleeds out and dies, and the shark returns to finish its meal.

In most countries, people rarely surf or dive solo. In Chile, however, these activities have been commonplace, particularly when diving for abalone. In the U.S., there's typically a "buddy-system."

So in most countries, it happens like this:

1) Initial bite/attack.
2) Shark hangs back.
3) The diver is helped/removed from the water.

In countries like Chile:

1) Initial bite/attack.
2) Shark hangs back.
3) No help for the victim. Victim bleeds out/dies.
4) The shark returns to feed as if it had attacked, say, a seal.

I'm of the opinion that we're a perfectly acceptable meal for a white shark, even if the initial attack is a case of mistaken identity. There are many cases where the shark has returned to the victim and consumed the remains, and there are many divers that have simply gone missing...

The explanation that we simply aren't appetizing to white sharks was an attempt to explain the initial bite and apparent abandonment. However, with an understanding of their hunting strategy (as you yourself have explained) it seems far more likely that it is a normal hunting behavior. Observed behavior after attacks have indicated that the shark doesn't actually leave. It goes to depth and waits in the general area.

They may have other ways of "feeling" out their prey as well.

Before many attacks, people have reported feeling something "brush" up against them under the water. Typically, they describe it as a slightly abrasive feeling, but most often there's no actual (or perceived) pain.

For anybody unfamiliar with shark anatomy, their skin is covered by tiny "teeth" called denticles. These can be highly abrasive. For this reason, shark skin is used as a sort of sandpaper by many tribes of Pacific islands.

Well, last I heard, there were tiny receptor organs/structures discovered underneath dentacles on the heads of some sharks. In form and function, these resembled taste buds.

It's not entirely outside of the realm of reason to postulate that by "rubbing up" against their prey in a slightly abrasive fashion, perhaps out of curiosity, they can taste it, especially if they induce small-scale bleeding.

Again, I haven't kept up with that, but needless to say it's a bit creepy and a LOT awesome. :up:
I want you to be my shark mentor. >_< I used to write all of my high school research papers on sharks.

I want you to be my shark mentor. >_< I used to write all of my high school research papers on sharks.
I may seem more knowledgable than I actually am. :yay: But thanks! :woot:

I used to have an idea as to why sharks don't get cancer. It turns out that the real apparent reason is far simpler, and I was sort of embarrassed to find out that it had been somewhat known for a while, lol. Well, there may be levels of complexity beyond how it was explained to me, but *meh.*

Cool pic:

shark-kayak.jpg

One I just did:

meanwhitesharkLOL.jpg

:woot:

Call me crazy but thats a beautiful animal. Just...simple perfection.

Call me crazy but thats a beautiful animal. Just...simple perfection.
Yeah. That picture is particularly striking for some reason. I think it's because it evokes so many emotions and reactions at once.

Yeah. That picture is particularly striking for some reason. I think it's because it evokes so many emotions and reactions at once.
I agree, I'm scared... but at the same time I'm in awe at how wide his jaws open up and how big his mouth is... and I'm excited because sharks turn me on.

I agree, I'm scared... but at the same time I'm in awe at how wide his jaws open up and how big his mouth is... and I'm excited because sharks turn me on.

:wow::funny:

Its as close to a "monster" as we can get. The fact that sharks have existed for so damn long kinda adds to that image. I mean, look at that thing. It really is a killing machine, yet its graceful.

Stop me if I get carried away.
78027Great-White-Shark-Posters1.jpg

Great20White20Shark20South20Africa5.jpg

GreatWhiteShark5001.jpg

Last edited:
I like that last one. He looks so evil yet slightly as though smiling at the same time hahah.

Humans should just stay out of the water all together because we have no business going there and screwing everything up (even though we've screwed up the entire planet too)

White sharks are the only species known to actually stick their heads out from the water in order to observe what's going on above water. I'm not talking about massive breaches, either.

I mean they align their bodies vertically in the water and just poke their heads out and watch people and things. It's another amazing observed behavior. I mean people have been working on ships only to look down and see white sharks looking at them.

Its as close to a "monster" as we can get. The fact that sharks have existed for so damn long kinda adds to that image. I mean, look at that thing. It really is a killing machine, yet its graceful.

Stop me if I get carried away.
78027Great-White-Shark-Posters1.jpg

Great20White20Shark20South20Africa5.jpg

GreatWhiteShark5001.jpg
I love Great Whites because they are the closest thing we have to a real monster yet they are not evil.

White sharks are the only species known to actually stick their heads out from the water in order to observe what's going on above water. I'm not talking about massive breaches, either.

I mean they align their bodies vertically in the water and just poke their heads out and watch people and things. It's another amazing observed behavior. I mean people have been working on ships only to look down and see white sharks looking at them.
Curiosity, or downright evil.... EVIL I SAY!

You're serious? I was able to sleep at night because I thought that great whites, while incredibly evolved, were still just stupid fish. Now you say they observe us?! I dont feel so high on the food chain anymore.:csad:

You're serious? I was able to sleep at night because I thought that great whites, while incredibly evolved, were still just stupid fish. Now you say they observe us?! I dont feel so high on the food chain anymore.:csad:
That's what I've read, lol. It makes sense for an animal that preys largely upon animals that spend some time on-shore. However, I've only ever heard of this happening to passing or idling ships, not necessarily to observe natural prey items.

Then you consider the fact that the brain-weight to body-weight ratio of sharks is higher than that of some mammals, and the fact that some sharks have been trained to perform tasks for rewards (like selectively hitting a target for food), and the myth that they're simply "stupid fish" becomes slightly less viable and, as you pointed out, slightly less comforting.

Of course, I still think there's validity to the idea that most attacks are cases of mistaken identity. I don't pretend to claim that they're geniuses. :cwink:

That's what I've read, lol. It makes sense for an animal that preys largely upon animals that spend some time on-shore. However, I've only ever heard of this happening to passing or idling ships, not necessarily to observe natural prey items.

Then you consider the fact that the brain-weight to body-weight ratio of sharks is higher than that of some mammals, and the fact that some sharks have been trained to perform tasks for rewards (like selectively hitting a target for food), and the myth that they're simply "stupid fish" becomes slightly less viable and, as you pointed out, slightly less comforting.

Of course, I still think there's validity to the idea that most attacks are cases of mistaken identity. I don't pretend to claim that they're geniuses. :cwink:

I kind of wondered how developed their brains were. I never thought they would have much in the way of grey matter, but if they can be taught, then they have memory. Wow, this has been very enlightening.

lol they want to know everything they can before they take over!

btw anyone played ''Jaws Unleashed''?

I kind of wondered how developed their brains were. I never thought they would have much in the way of grey matter, but if they can be taught, then they have memory. Wow, this has been very enlightening.
Oh yeah. I'd love to learn more about shark neurology. The way their brains are laid out is very cool...typically very elongated with distinct regions controlling distinct functions, activities and behaviors.

Our brains have distinct functional regions, but it's also sort of rolled up into a ball instead of elongated like that of a shark.

Interestingly, this may actually give us insight as to how sharks sleep. Dolphins, for instance, are able to shut off one hemisphere at a time to allow that portion of the brain to "reboot" (which is really one of the functions of sleep). This allows the dolphin to be partially conscious and to surface periodically in order to keep breathing.

Since many sharks need to constantly be moving in order to move water over the gills (ram-jet ventilation), it makes sense that they'd have a similar system. It seems like it would be important.

The initial assumption was that maybe sharks don't sleep. We now know that to be at least plausibly false and inconsistent with some known behaviors.

There were studies done on a species of dogfish (I think the spiny dogfish, Squalus acanthias) that showed that the portion of the brain that controls locomotion is located primarily on/near the brain stem (the "primitive" portion), not in the more specialized regions of the brain. This means that the more specialized portions may either be universally allowed to "sleep" or that these regions may be selectively allowed to rest without the shark ever stopping.

I don't know much more on the topic, but needless to say their brain functions in general are far more complex than was initially assumed. The point is that we have a LOT to learn. :up:

I personally wonder whether this trait would be seen in sharks that can ventilate without constant swimming.

Last edited:
I want to. Never really got the chance. :woot:
I don't think it got too many good reviews but I thought it was a good free-roam game. My only problem with it was I thought the levels were too tough but thats what cheats are for.

I don't think it got too many good reviews but I thought it was a good free-roam game. My only problem with it was I thought the levels were too tough but thats what cheats are for.
Yeah I heard it was mindless fun. :woot:

I recall a symbiotic relationship between sharks and Pilot fish (I hope thats the right right name). Their the little fish that follow sharks around and eat up scraps left behind. What stops the shark from eating the pilot fish?

Just a question I have.

:word:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"