The SHH! Guide to Free Powerful Software!

Status
Not open for further replies.
kypade said:
Didn't even know this existed, but it's a Malice thread that doesn't (completely) suck, so I guess it's worth noting.

PS, does he still come around here? I'm debating whether or not to make it clear that I really don't think he's a sucky poster.

This was originally my thread. >_<

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2390/
Video Downloader:
Download videos from Youtube, Google, Metacafe, iFilm, Dailymotion... and other 60+ video sites ! And all embedded objects on a webpage (movies, mp3s, flash, quicktime, etc) ! Directly !

All google video files are acquired in FLV format and need a FLV player or a program such as SUPER ( http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html ) to convert them to another file format.

Firefox Extension
IE Tabs:
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1419/
Open a site in IE within a Firefox tab. Great for non-FF compatable sites. You can also switch back and forth from IE to FF with a click of a button.

Video Editting
SUPER
http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html#Dnload
Great program to convert video files into different file types and using different codecs. Really simple.

VirtualDub
http://www.virtualdub.org/
Good free program for editting videos and compressing in different codec formats.

With Super I can convert to any format, with VDub you need to do AVI to edit. So basically if you have a video, convert it, edit it and then convert back.

So I'd have to convert a wmv file in order to edit it in VDub?:(

You'd have to convert the file to AVI, I'd advise using DiVX codec.

Im getting bad checkisums with my spybot when i try and download new definitions anyone know whats going on?

Not sure, but I would recommend just downloading the program and reinstalling it.

I think it was somthing to do with their server as it didn`t work still but i messed about with something now it does! oh well

Hey does anyone know of any OTHER free software that helps you extract, compress and burn DVD back up movies? :D

Also, what about any free programs that help you create and edit mp3, mp4, m4a, and midi music files?

Any and all help would be appreciated.

BAH HUMBBUG! said:
Hey does anyone know of any OTHER free software that helps you extract, compress and burn DVD back up movies? :D

Also, what about any free programs that help you create and edit mp3, mp4, m4a, and midi music files?

Any and all help would be appreciated.

You're on a Mac, aren't you? Either way, for audio editing, check out Audacity. Free and open source. It rocks. :up:

Let me know if you're on a Mac or not and I can steer you to some DVD utils.

jag

jaguarr said:
You're on a Mac, aren't you? Either way, for audio editing, check out Audacity. Free and open source. It rocks. :up:

Let me know if you're on a Mac or not and I can steer you to some DVD utils.

jag

Unfortunately Jag no I am not, looks like my Mac purchase will have to wait a while. PC it is for me. :csad:

BAH HUMBBUG! said:
Unfortunately Jag no I am not, looks like my Mac purchase will have to wait a while. PC it is for me. :csad:

Audacity will still be a good choice for audio for you. :up: Can't help you with the DVD ripping on the Windows side, though.

jag

I found one to answer my own question, but thanks for the help anyway guys.

MP3 Direct Cut, extremely simple and easy to use.

It would be nice to have a Mac version of this thread.

For instance, I know (thanks to jag) that NeoOffice is the equivilent of Open Office for Mac (and I love it *bows before jag*) but there are a lot of other things here that would be useful to have (a photo/graphics editor a la GIMP, for example).

Not that it's not useful, but jag's Mac thread is more help and advice (support desk) kind of stuff.

Daisy said:
It would be nice to have a Mac version of this thread.

For instance, I know (thanks to jag) that NeoOffice is the equivilent of Open Office for Mac (and I love it *bows before jag*) but there are a lot of other things here that would be useful to have (a photo/graphics editor a la GIMP, for example).

Not that it's not useful, but jag's Mac thread is more help and advice (support desk) kind of stuff.

There's tidbits of software in the Mac thread. There's no reason we can't put software ideas and requests in it. BTW, for a Mac version of GIMP, go to http://gimp-app.sourceforge.net/ .

jag

ASUS said:
openoffice runs on osx

Yes, but the NeoOffice guys have their sh1t together more than the Open Office guys. :hyper:

jag

Anyone know a good .flv converter that doesn't leave those damned watermarks?

IrfanView - In my opinion, the DeFacto Image Viewer. It can perform so low powered edits, like cropping and things like that but this is great for viewing a folder of images. You can randomly sort and view them. Unbelieveable amount of configurations. Opens any graphics format available, and even has plugins to play music and video as well.

^ does anyone use this, i'm thinking about trying it, but i'd like to hear what people think of it first.

this thread has a lot of great stuff, so i thought it'd deserve a bump.

and can anyone recommend a good place to find web site graphics and stuff? I'm running the family's genealogy website, and i'd like to spice it up, but i'm no genius at it.

IrfanView - In my opinion, the DeFacto Image Viewer. It can perform so low powered edits, like cropping and things like that but this is great for viewing a folder of images. You can randomly sort and view them. Unbelieveable amount of configurations. Opens any graphics format available, and even has plugins to play music and video as well.

^ does anyone use this, i'm thinking about trying it, but i'd like to hear what people think of it first.

this thread has a lot of great stuff, so i thought it'd deserve a bump.

and can anyone recommend a good place to find web site graphics and stuff? I'm running the family's genealogy website, and i'd like to spice it up, but i'm no genius at it.

I use irfanview for my photos but not much else. But it works great and is extremely easy :up: :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"