The Simpsons Appreciation Thread

Killing off a background character who never spoke, real brave of them. :o

Next you're going to tell me the guy with the ballcap and glasses has a name.

Next you're going to tell me the guy with the ballcap and glasses has a name.

tumblr_pcnx4zTVy51r3ykuvo3_540.gif

Even though I've only seen a few episodes past maybe season 15 or so (i'm not exactly sure) I still appreciate the show is still going and it's always a bit sad when they post something on Facebook which is met by tons of negative comments saying "it should have ended 20 years ago" (or something to that effect). It's not a serious drama show where you want the story to play out, everyone gets their arcs and you wrap things up in a neat bow eventually and end it on a high. Because it's animated you can keep it going and it feels comforting in a way knowing there's Simpsons on TV even if I don't watch it.

But judging by the ages of the cast members and some of them sounding rough these days (like Marge) it wouldn't surprise me if they did wrap the show up soon. I'm sure as soon as its announced you'll suddenly get a lot of comments like "A part of me will die with the show ending", big end of an era when it happens. I'm curious how they will actually end it though. With almost 800 episodes existing, how do you even structure a final episode, what sort of plot do you have in it and how do you end it? I feel like the ending shot probably has to be all of them on the couch considering all the hundreds of opening couch gags we've had over the years but aside from that I don't know.

Even though I've only seen a few episodes past maybe season 15 or so (i'm not exactly sure) I still appreciate the show is still going and it's always a bit sad when they post something on Facebook which is met by tons of negative comments saying "it should have ended 20 years ago" (or something to that effect). It's not a serious drama show where you want the story to play out, everyone gets their arcs and you wrap things up in a neat bow eventually and end it on a high. Because it's animated you can keep it going and it feels comforting in a way knowing there's Simpsons on TV even if I don't watch it.

But judging by the ages of the cast members and some of them sounding rough these days (like Marge) it wouldn't surprise me if they did wrap the show up soon. I'm sure as soon as its announced you'll suddenly get a lot of comments like "A part of me will die with the show ending", big end of an era when it happens. I'm curious how they will actually end it though. With almost 800 episodes existing, how do you even structure a final episode, what sort of plot do you have in it and how do you end it? I feel like the ending shot probably has to be all of them on the couch considering all the hundreds of opening couch gags we've had over the years but aside from that I don't know.
There has been speculation that they may end it with season 40 to make it a nice round number but then who's to say they won't try to soldier on and make it to season 50, even though most of the cast would be in their 70's and 80's by then if they're still around with Harry Shearer being 95, unless they were to start recasting. Either of those outcomes are far more ridiculous than just ending the show within the next few years.

What they should have done, and I'm pretty sure some on these boards have said it in the past, was end the show a little over 15 years ago prior to the release of the movie and had that act as a "finale" of sorts but also leaving it open for future theatrical movies as a way to revisit the franchise.

It's also funny that you mentioned the couch gags because over the last 15 or so years they've been the most noteworthy thing about the show, like the one directed by Guillermo Del Toro or the ones inspired by Avatar and Game of Thrones.

There has been speculation that they may end it with season 40 to make it a nice round number but then who's to say they won't try to soldier on and make it to season 50, even though most of the cast would be in their 70's and 80's by then if they're still around with Harry Shearer being 95, unless they were to start recasting. Either of those outcomes are far more ridiculous than just ending the show within the next few years.

What they should have done, and I'm pretty sure some on these boards have said it in the past, was end the show a little over 15 years ago prior to the release of the movie and had that act as a "finale" of sorts but also leaving it open for future theatrical movies as a way to revisit the franchise.

It's also funny that you mentioned the couch gags because over the last 15 or so years they've been the most noteworthy thing about the show, like the one directed by Guillermo Del Toro or the ones inspired by Avatar and Game of Thrones.
I just hope we don't reach a point where a key cast member passes away and they say "No worries we'll just keep going with the help of AI".

I just hope we don't reach a point where a key cast member passes away and they say "No worries we'll just keep going with the help of AI".
I'd say don't give them any ideas but I'm sure that's already been discussed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"