The Amazing Spider-Man The spiderman fight and acrobatics choreography thread

superkong 500

Sidekick
Reaction score
There's nothing on this yet so I decided to start. Raimi's spiderman did a lot of things right when it came down to the way spidey moved. How do you think it will change or evolve with Webb at the helm.

I personaly hope they find a way to do things more practical and on camera This time. They can now approach things in a different way by taking advantage on things like parkour and combining that with some wirework and creating a unique new fighting style for spidey. They could use mix martial arts and make them a bit more stylized, yet make them feel and look real and fluid.

I would like to see something quite diffferent when it comes to the fights. I liked the acrobatics for the most part on the Raimi films, But when spidey was fighting the villain on the ground I felt that his moves could've been more fluid and inventive instead of just punching combinations and web balls. I also want to see spiderman being more agressive and offensive during the fights if you know what I mean.

Last edited:
wirework suits Spider-Man so much imo, they properly underused it the first three films. Given the budget is pretty low it might be a blessing in disguise and we might actually get a few more practical stunts!

I read a quote a long while back from someone who used to work on Spider-Man comics (can't remember who, sadly) who said that one of the golden rules when drawing Spidey is to never have him just standing on the ground. He should always be clinging to a wall, hanging from a web, perched on a lamp post... something visually interesting and impressive that not just anyone could do. I'd love to see that rule implemented in the film. It could give any scene, even an otherwise dry one like, say, Spidey talking to Captain Stacy, a fantastic quality.

I don't know how else to say it, but I simply want to be blown away by photo-realistic effects of Spider-Man swinging himself in and out of gaps between buildings, with dizzying effects.

Raimi had some good effects, but a little too stagnat for me. I want to be blown away, period.

Iam worried that sony imageworks is involved i nthis. Not that their FX work is bad but for spidey I would like another company. But how the FX come out also has a lot to do with the director. If he doesn't push them they won't do the best they can. You need someone that doesn't conform with good but pushes for something more.

I want to see spidey do some stuff involving kicks when he's fighting and lots of flipping, somersaults. I also would like to see what I call a "web net". If spidey has web shooters there could be a scene in which he adjusts the wrist mechanism. Lets say a thug is waving a machine gun at a distance from spidey Threatening to shot a civilian, spidey adjusts the mech and throws a long "web bullet" then when it gets to the thug it opens into a webshapped net,catches the guy and takes him flying backwards and sticks him to a wall with his arms open.

You guys remember that scene from predator 2 with the net? You get the picture.

Last edited:
I read a quote a long while back from someone who used to work on Spider-Man comics (can't remember who, sadly) who said that one of the golden rules when drawing Spidey is to never have him just standing on the ground. He should always be clinging to a wall, hanging from a web, perched on a lamp post... something visually interesting and impressive that not just anyone could do. I'd love to see that rule implemented in the film. It could give any scene, even an otherwise dry one like, say, Spidey talking to Captain Stacy, a fantastic quality.

:up: This. I would love to see him like clinging to a wall with his back to the wall and talking to Captain Stacy or even Gwen. Kind of like this:
0.jpg

(I tried to find an excert from a comic but couldnt lol)

In fact my favourite Spidey fighting scene apart from the clocktower/train sequence in Raimi's movies is actually his first fight in SM1 when he's fighting the muggers at night. I just felt then from then on his fighting style was never quite on parr with how they made him move in that scene.

So yeah I want to be almost acrobatic style fighting, very smooth and quick. I'd like them to show the spider-sense more too as they didnt really touch on that in Raimi's.

I liked how blade 2 mixed cgi into live action together as one.. fight, use cgi for a jump, back down into live action all at once.

[BLACKOUT]
This is one area I don't want anything related to Nolan's batman type of fight scenes..
[/BLACKOUT]

John Romita, Sr said this, and I fully agree.

Spidey's moves in the films were an embarrassment. There are so many films/segments out there where they capture acrobatic fighting styles so much better.

I would like to see some galvanising cling to wall fights, you guys seen die hard 4?? There was this acrobatic guy that was pretty damn good, the speed at which he moved and the moves he pulled off were impressive. Like ultimate Doom suggested, parkour, that needs to be implemented. Spidey simply needs to move with jaw-dropping acrobatics. Its needs to be as common and frequent to him as is, walking is to us. Cot dammit! I want to see back flips, sommersaults

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpK2Q-g33gQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6a6YSRGzcA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9_T6TYOT5g&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JANiAdgzdSo&feature=related

I agree that SM1 set a standard that was never even attempted to be mached again: The fight with the robbers--the first time we see him fight--jumping from shoulders and flipping and mule kicking. It was great. Did they forget about that with all of the other fights?

Clearly. It's like they said, "hmm something's missing but screw it, lets shoe horn in this crappy love babble and hope for the best".

I agree that SM1 set a standard that was never even attempted to be mached again: The fight with the robbers--the first time we see him fight--jumping from shoulders and flipping and mule kicking. It was great. Did they forget about that with all of the other fights?

They just never had him in a situation with multiple opponents again, but they did have him flipping about and whatnot, look at the beginning of the fight in the bank with Ock, flipping onto the chandelier etc, not to mention all of the acrobatics during the clocktower/train fight.
I always wanted to see him fighting a gang in a warehouse or something, so they could use more moves like that against multiple opponents, comicswise, just like the opening scene of the issue with Puma's 1st appearance.

The only thing I am afraid of with more practical stunts/parkour etc, is that he will look more human in his stunts, he shouldn't look like a highly trained acrobat for the most part, there is a reason that the bad guys in the comics are always saying 'He's not human, no-one can move that fast!' They basically have to use CGI to get Spider-man's moves down properly, yes, there will be moments when he is not so full on, and moving within the parameters of a highly trained acrobat, but when he is fighting supervillans and utilising his powers to the max, CGI has to be used, and we can only hope to get the best possible quality in sfx.

They just never had him in a situation with multiple opponents again, but they did have him flipping about and whatnot, look at the beginning of the fight in the bank with Ock, flipping onto the chandelier etc, not to mention all of the acrobatics during the clocktower/train fight.
I always wanted to see him fighting a gang in a warehouse or something, so they could use more moves like that against multiple opponents, comicswise, just like the opening scene of the issue with Puma's 1st appearance.

The only thing I am afraid of with more practical stunts/parkour etc, is that he will look more human in his stunts, he shouldn't look like a highly trained acrobat for the most part, there is a reason that the bad guys in the comics are always saying 'He's not human, no-one can move that fast!' They basically have to use CGI to get Spider-man's moves down properly, yes, there will be moments when he is not so full on, and moving within the parameters of a highly trained acrobat, but when he is fighting supervillans and utilising his powers to the max, CGI has to be used, and we can only hope to get the best possible quality in sfx.

I understand what you're saying, but look at it this way: It doesn't have to be all or nothing. They can use a gymnast/parkour athlete, and then enhance it with CGI and practical effects like wire work. I always think CGI works better when integrated with other techniques. So take that gymnast or parkour guy and then make them MORE than what they are. The outcome will be a beast worth more than the sum of its parts. Ya dig?

I understand what you're saying, but look at it this way: It doesn't have to be all or nothing. They can use a gymnast/parkour athlete, and then enhance it with CGI and practical effects like wire work. I always think CGI works better when integrated with other techniques. So take that gymnast or parkour guy and then make them MORE than what they are. The outcome will be a beast worth more than the sum of its parts. Ya dig?

I thought they did that already in the Raimi films, it's just that when you have the full on superpowered fights, there is not much room for a stuntperson to be inserted, you will get moments like the silent lull in the fight on top of the train, and then back to being full on with the CGI, or when he does that forward flip off of the rooftop after talking to Mj in SM1.

I mean, I don't think they should be thinking ' we need more practical stunts', and go out of their way to do them as folk want that over CGI. I think they should just plan out the fights on storyboards, and if CGI works best for 95% of the fight, they should stick to that, and i am the type of person who prefers practical to CG everytime, it's just that with Spider-man you need the CGI.
There is a moment in SM3 that has always impressed me, to the extent I am genuinely not sure if it is a stunt person or CGI, I think it's a stuntperson though, as he looks so real, but it is very well done, as slick as the CGI moments...the final move when SM swings up and lands on the rooftop edge after fighting Sandman for the first time, if they had more moments like that I would be happy, they could have easily CGI'd that, but went for it practically, well, I think they did anyway, if it was CG, it was amazing quality.

You coulda just said you don't dig :o

^Yeah, I think a mix would be great, and the idea of a parkour influence is great, and something I'd been thinking myself for a while. That doesn't mean that it should look like something just any athlete could do, but having him do bigger, more impressive movements, but with a distinct parkour influence, would be awesome. Parkour is kind of blowing up in terms of popularity, so it seems like a pretty good possibility.

Yeh, The Bum Walking's right in a sense that they did use all of the things I mentioned in the Raimi films, BUT what I was meaning is incorporating it all into just one shot. That would be special.

I would like to see him implement more of what makes him "Spider"-man, as well: using his powers beyond the acrobatics and superhuman agility. I think they should incorporate more web-based attacks into his combos and a lot more of him jumping around, bouncing off walls, using the whole environment in the fight; not unlike the first fight with the robbers that was mentioned above.

I would like to see him implement more of what makes him "Spider"-man, as well: using his powers beyond the acrobatics and superhuman agility. I think they should incorporate more web-based attacks into his combos and a lot more of him jumping around, bouncing off walls, using the whole environment in the fight; not unlike the first fight with the robbers that was mentioned above.

[BLACKOUT]
This is one area I don't want anything related to Nolan's batman type of fight scenes..
[/BLACKOUT]

Agreed. Spider-Man's style should be completely the opposite. Completely.

b_cas_8907 said:

This :up: They had some nice moves in the Clock Tower/Train sequence, but even now the way he moves in that robber scene should have been the way he moved for the rest of the movies, and that was his FIRST fight, so they should have at least tried to up it somehow.

Lots of great posts here! :up: I agree with just about everything that's being said, it was all sorely missed in Raimi's films.

Being a huge Mcfarlane Spidey fan, I need to see more of this:

Spider-Man006.jpg

His body contorted into all kinds of weird positions, at least when he's swinging. This is Spider-man after all, let's have fun, as Peter really does, inside that costume

Agreed. They replaced that with Spidey mainly using his fists to fight his enemies.

That scene alone was so badass in the first film, he did that almost seamlessly. I'd like to see more fighting like that in the new film

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"