Guardians of the Galaxy The spoiler thread

Web-Head

Oh boy yeah
Reaction score
Thread to talk all things spoilers for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.3

I did enjoy it and thought it was a nice send off. It wasn't perfect some of the pacing and cuts felt more like a high level tv show than a movie. I didn't get that sucked in feeling and for it to be the last one I didn't feel like any of them would die. The Rocket flashbacks did make me feel something so they did a good job with that.
Warlock was okay from what he got, could have been better. Seemed like he was more a leftover from the previous movie like oh damn we setup him up but now so much time has passed. They clearly had a different direction since him and the Sovereign lady just were there.

Mantis, Nebula, and Drax did have a nice dynamic. I am guessing Mantis will become more like how she seemed in the GOTG video game a leader rebel type.

I knew Warlock would save Quill, that was obvious as he can fly and breath in space. I have no clue why Quill didn't have a new mask especially with the new uniforms. My only guess is Pratt being a star and they don't want to cover up the main actors face with a mask. The almost dying in space part though clearly wouldn't happen if he had that and his boots. We saw this in the previous movies.

3 things:

Does anyone miss the robotic filter they used on Nebula's voice from the first 2 films? They just stopped using it in Infinity War.

I kinda wish they didn't kill off Lylla. I really wanted her to make it so Rocket and her could live happily ever after. Great scene though. I teared up.

I love the way they handled alternate Gamora however if there was one critique it's that she at least should've shown more of a bond to Nebula considering in Endgame, alternate Gamora seemed to care about prime Nebula.

Last edited:
One thing that felt a little off character was how Peter killed that guy in quite a brutal and violent way, especially after his whole "That's not how we do things" rant to Gamora. I thought he was doing a fake out to scare the crap out of the guy (like Black Widow did in CA:WS), and then he crashes him to the ground :hehe:

Also, I understood the High Evolutionary is now dead right? I'm seeing some people saying "no one died, not even the HE" but he surely didn't survive that explosion?
I saw it kinda like Batman Begins. With Rocket going "I'm not gonna kill you, but I won't save you either".

Anytime you torture harmless and defenseless animals you're gonna make me cry.. even if they're cgi. The amount of animal cruelty and carnage was not something i was expecting. Rocket went from this meek, cute voiced racoon to classic voice within seconds which was a bit weird.

The Guardians at the beginning of the film vs the ending seemed a little rushed with half of them wanting to explore new lives.

Happy that Mantis got plenty to do, she was the highlight of the film for me and a character I'll miss.

High Priestess...was excited to see her again but they made her into a bumbling idiot of a henchmen who can't do anything right. Same with Adam Warlock. Just used as a super powered comedic punch line.

High Evolutionary though was the kind of villain I was wanting HP/AW to be. Did a great job there. Since there was no body...he could come back.

Needed more Nebula/Gamora though.

The space dog was great and that whole bit very endearing

I knew Warlock would save Quill, that was obvious as he can fly and breath in space. I have no clue why Quill didn't have a new mask especially with the new uniforms. My only guess is Pratt being a star and they don't want to cover up the main actors face with a mask. The almost dying in space part though clearly wouldn't happen if he had that and his boots. We saw this in the previous movies.
I would jokingly say that James Gunn saw Quantumania and knew to stay away from the nano helmets snapping on and off.

One thing that felt a little off character was how Peter killed that guy in quite a brutal and violent way, especially after his whole "That's not how we do things" rant to Gamora. I thought he was doing a fake out to scare the crap out of the guy (like Black Widow did in CA:WS), and then he crashes him to the ground :hehe:

Also, I understood the High Evolutionary is now dead right? I'm seeing some people saying "no one died, not even the HE" but he surely didn't survive that explosion?
I saw it kinda like Batman Begins. With Rocket going "I'm not gonna kill you, but I won't save you either".
No one died means during the ship evacuation right? I was amazed at the number of speaking characters that were killed off.

No one died means during the ship evacuation right? I was amazed at the number of speaking characters that were killed off.

Oh, of course. During the very end and only main characters.
This movie could easily be the Marvel movie with most deaths on screen (off screen obviously Infinity War has that title and it'll be extremely hard to beat it).
One has to wonder how this wasn't a traumatic experience especially for Peter, watching an exact replica of earth full of presumably millions of people-like creatures including children...well, explode.

I already posted my thoughts in the general thread before this one existed so I'll just copy it here.

Overall I thought it was very good. Especially everything regarding Rocket. Also was nice to really see Nebula as a core part of the team this time around.

I was a bit underwhelmed though with the introductions of the 2 new Guardians. Adam didn't have a whole lot to do in this, and Phyla I would've just liked to be done differently I guess.

I also feel like I coud be in the minority here, but bringing Gamora back felt a bit pointless to me in hindsight. While I prefer her personality to be a bit rougher like it was here over her being the more "soft and rational" member she had become in Vol. 2 and Infinity War, she didn't really add too much here as essentially a new character. I feel like if she had never come back in Endgame it wouldn't have mattered much, especially knowing she probably won't come back after this movie and this version won't be developed further.

Sidenote, I just realized I don't remember a single scene of Peter having his helmet on. And there's even one scene towards the end that could've been undercut if he had just used the helmet and his jet boots. Strange that he didn't have those parts of his gear.

I also found it interesting that for the most part aliens all speak English and understand each other in the MCU, yet in this movie there was a lot of emphasis on the New Men and Star Children not speaking the same language.

This movie could easily be the Marvel movie with most deaths on screen (off screen obviously Infinity War has that title and it'll be extremely hard to beat it).
One has to wonder how this wasn't a traumatic experience especially for Peter, watching an exact replica of earth full of presumably millions of people-like creatures including children...well, explode.
Yeah, the destruction of counter-earth was honestly pretty brutal if you think about it. We've seen the destruction of planets in blockbuster movies before, but having met some of the inhabitants like the bat lady and her family that harbored the Guardians, the little bushbaby girl who threw her ball at Drax, etc. and knowing they all got killed made it feel pretty impactful.

It started with Peter in the temple but at the end they all became dancers.

I wonder if they knew Super Mario used Beastie Boys No Sleep Till Brooklyn. I would think they know when they are trying to get access to a song. I didn't realize it until this morning they both used it in fighting montage scenes. In Mario it clearly made sense as they are from NY, GOTG could have used something more fitting.

The two moments where I cried where Lylla's "Sky!" and Groot's "I love you guys".
Rocket putting on "Come and Get Your Love" as the new team prepares to attack was also an amazing moment.

Overall, definitely a big improvement over Vol. 2 and the best post-Endgame movie in the MCU. To be honest, I'm not that worried about Bautista and Saldana retiring since their characters were the least interesting for me.
I really want to see Mantis and Nebula again. They've come a long way since their one-note first appearances.
And I'm pretty happy for my boy Rocket, my favorite MCU character.

Granted that was before he saw the video of what was done to Rocket by High Evolutionary and his people.

As I recall we don't see what happens to High Evolutionary after they left him there. So they can always say he survived and give him a metal face ;)

latest

I wonder what becomes of this new Guardians team? Do you even still call them the Guardians of the Galaxy now that the old guard have essentially been replaced and went their separate ways?

I wonder what becomes of this new Guardians team? Do you even still call them the Guardians of the Galaxy now that the old guard have essentially been replaced and went their separate ways?

Why wouldnt we?

Poor Elizabeth Debicki man lol. I like that actress quite a bit, but she wasn't utilized well in either of these Guardians movies and I honestly don't even see the point why Gunn even brought her back.

She got so little to do in this besides be annoyed/irritated by Adam Warlock and then just abruptly killed off which I thought was going to lead to something else, but it wasn't even addressed.

I'm sure she got a nice paycheck at the end day, but man she deserved better than this and so did Will Poulter who felt so out of place in this movie, but at least he had some good moments.

The man-child stuff got old after a while, but his introduction was brutal as hell. I really wasn't expecting the level of gruesome violence that we got which was kind of a nice surprise IMO.

I can definitely appreciate them letting Gunn have more creative freedom with this movie than the past Guardians films and that's what I want to see more of in the MCU going forward.

The villain was a real, nasty piece of work in this and worked perfectly for what he was given, but Ego is still the best villain in this franchise for me, but he's definitely a step up from Ronan.

I also didn't even realize that Quill never used his helmet in this which I guess is because they wanted to do something different and Chris Pratt is a much bigger star now, but I don't know if it actually makes any sense considering how it could have helped him in so many dire situations throughout the movie. Now, I'm really curious to see where he pops up next in the MCU since he's on Earth at least for the time being.

The Nebula, Drax and Mantis dynamic was awesome too. It's nice seeing Mantis come such a long way since Vol. 2 and I'm glad Gunn kept a lot of that Nebula personality we got in the Holiday Special.

Elizabeth Debicki. Shades of Glenn Close in Vol. 1.

My hope is that they can bring back Glenn Close as Nova Prime in a Nova movie or show. Make her into the Xandarian Worldmind. Like when Thanos razes Xandar, she backs up everything, including her conscious into the world mind, and sends out an experimental helmet to be the last vestige of the Nova Corps. to hopefully revive it some day.

Adam Warlock introduction was brutal but also loved the redemption arc too and seeing Rocket in his origins his backstory how could you not be emotional or sad?

But honestly was surprised Hemsworth wasn't in this film given that Thor he spent a bulk of his time with them too

But honestly was surprised Hemsworth wasn't in this film given that Thor he spent a bulk of his time with them too

Thor Love And Thunder addressed that by having the Guardians in the opening action scene with Thor to let us know he spent considerable time with them after Endgame before they all went their separate ways. Gunn actually said that Taika Waititi "took a bullet" for him because he had no intention of having Thor in this movie at all so he wasn't going to deal with Thor leaving with them at the end of Endgame.

Yeah, a cameo would have been nice.

I was shocked that the Guardians didn't suffer any casualties but given the marketing I guess it would have been too obvious if Rocket had actually died. Since he's my favorite character in maybe the entire MCU I gotta say I'm relieved.

I was shocked that the Guardians didn't suffer any casualties but given the marketing I guess it would have been too obvious if Rocket had actually died. Since he's my favorite character in maybe the entire MCU I gotta say I'm relieved.
I was expecting one of the main ones to die, probably Rocket or Star Lord. Kind of happy they didn’t in the end. Plenty of emotion throughout even without a death in the team. Also the door is still open one day for Rocket to lead the team if Feige and co want to go back to it in future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"