Guardians of the Galaxy The spoiler thread

I was expecting one of the main ones to die, probably Rocket or Star Lord. Kind of happy they didn’t in the end. Plenty of emotion throughout even without a death in the team. Also the door is still open one day for Rocket to lead the team if Feige and co want to go back to it in future.
I really thought Quill was done for when his face got all puffed out before Warlock saved him. It's pretty much the norm to expect a big death in a finale (Endgame, Logan, No Time to Die, the list goes on) but on the other hand, since their introduction we've seen Groot, Yondu, Gamora, Quill, Drax and Mantis die in the MCU...twice in Groot's case...so maybe they deserved a break.

I really thought Quill was done for when his face got all puffed out before Warlock saved him. It's pretty much the norm to expect a big death in a finale (Endgame, Logan, No Time to Die, the list goes on) but on the other hand, since their introduction we've seen Groot, Yondu, Gamora, Quill, Drax and Mantis die in the MCU...twice in Groot's case...so maybe they deserved a break.
It’s good to keep things from getting predictable, and while a good death scene can be a great emotional moment for a film, I prefer when they can achieve that through other means so we get to keep the characters while still getting the emotion. The deaths worked well for me in Endgame, but they are still a big loss to the MCU’s potential going forward. Probably good to do when an actor is definitively done as well as it suiting the narrative.

It’s good to keep things from getting predictable, and while a good death scene can be a great emotional moment for a film, I prefer when they can achieve that through other means so we get to keep the characters while still getting the emotion. The deaths worked well for me in Endgame, but they are still a big loss to the MCU’s potential going forward. Probably good to do when an actor is definitively done as well as it suiting the narrative.
Very true. While killing Rocket would have had an emotional impact since he's the one we've spent the most time with thanks to Endgame, he's still a fan favorite and it's unlikely Bradley Cooper would really get tired of playing him since apart from being an easy paycheck you can tell from the performance that he enjoys doing it.

Switching topics, this has also gotta be the least kid-friendly MCU movie. I feel like I said that about Eternals before but that might just be boring to kids. I thought Endgame was pushing it with Thanos getting decapitated and Hawkeye slitting that guy's throat but that was nothing compared to seeing the High Evolutionary's face ripped off, all the cute animals getting killed or mutated, and of course Quill's uncensored f-bomb. By the way, that was really a lame way for the MCU to have its first uncensored f-word. "Open the ****ing door"? Meh. Especially when he said "Screw you" to the High Evolutionary a few scenes later. Could have saved it until then.

Yeah I thought the rumors were Drax was going to die which made sense based on Bautista being done with the role.

Gunn loves Bautista-Drax way too much to kill him off. For that reason, I thought he was the safest despite Bautista stating he was done.

I started thinking Rocket was gonna die at the end as a way to unite him with Lylla since they played it like he wanted to stay with her in the afterlife.

I wonder what becomes of this new Guardians team? Do you even still call them the Guardians of the Galaxy now that the old guard have essentially been replaced and went their separate ways?
They are still the Guardians of the Galaxy, whether we see them again though who knows. Made the most sense for the CGI characters to be the ones to stay and lead.

The credit scene did say Star-Lord will return my guess is in Avengers but just him.

I thought Nebula would have been the death as she does not have much of a story left with Thanos done. If they wanted to do something with Gamora then Nebula dying would have been the way. I thought Quill being killed off would have been bad especially in the way they tried to setup. Maybe just me because the whole having a mask would have let him breath in space like the previous 2 movies.
If Drax was going to die it would have needed to be in a great fight with Warlock, but it was clear later in movie that wasn't the Warlock we were getting.

I'm fine with the lack of major deaths because it felt like this movie offered enough in terms of stakes when it came to saving Rocket not to mention a lot of people still died on and offscreen.

Also, my god did James Gunn outdo himself during that amazing hallway/corridor action sequence by giving us something we haven't even gotten in any live action X-Men film yet.

I love the fact that most of that sequence looked like a one-take, and you got to see pretty much everybody do something awesome even Drax who finally lived up to his Destroyer name.

Seeing those kinds of EPIC team up moments in this and The Avenger's movies gets me so amped for the X-Men appearing in the MCU and the endless possibilities that could come from it.

They are still the Guardians of the Galaxy, whether we see them again though who knows. Made the most sense for the CGI characters to be the ones to stay and lead.

The credit scene did say Star-Lord will return my guess is in Avengers but just him.

Yeah I too think we get Star Lord in Avengers Kang Dynasty

just saw it and loved it, sooo was that little girl who is part of the new Guardians Nova?

I thought Nebula would have been the death as she does not have much of a story left with Thanos done.
It's ok, she can form a club with Adam Warlock and Eros called "What Do We Do Now?" :o

Can someone explain what happened to Quill’s nanotech faceplate helmet and rocket jet-boosters?!
View attachment 64807
I was wondering the same thing myself and why they were absent from this. Would have definitely come in handy for him at the end. They weren't damaged beyond repair in Infinity War or Endgame from what I recall. The mask/helmet in particular is a huge part of Star Lord's outfit so it not being here was a strange omission.

It's ok, she can form a club with Adam Warlock and Eros called "What Do We Do Now?" :o

I was wondering the same thing myself and why they were absent from this. Would have definitely come in handy for him at the end. They weren't damaged beyond repair in Infinity War or Endgame from what I recall. The mask/helmet in particular is a huge part of Star Lord's outfit so it not being here was a strange omission.
Rocket also had the time to upgrade Nebula so he would have easily made that gear for Quill even if Quill was a mopey drunk not doing missions.

reading on twitter and didnt even realize that when groot says "I love you all" we as viewers became part of the Guardians family and finally understand what groot is saying. Cool little detail I didnt notice at first but will defiantly be a cant wait moment on my second viewing

just saw it and loved it, sooo was that little girl who is part of the new Guardians Nova?
most likely, Phyla-Vell (or at least a reference to her)...
upload_2023-5-6_22-47-48.png
... who was a member of the GOTG for a time in the comics (with obviously a different backstory and much younger then her comic counter part)

But honestly was surprised Hemsworth wasn't in this film given that Thor he spent a bulk of his time with them too

Yeah, a cameo would have been nice.
The only way I could have seen a Hemsworth cameo happening would have been if Rocket had actually died and Thor showed up for the funeral given how close the two got between Infinity War and Endgame. Taika basically covered all the Thor/Guardians interaction I expected to get and I'm honestly happy it worked out that way. Vol. 3 had enough going on without throwing Thor into the mix whereas the Guardians fit right in with the tone of Love and Thunder.

The only way I could have seen a Hemsworth cameo happening would have been if Rocket had actually died and Thor showed up for the funeral given how close the two got between Infinity War and Endgame. Taika basically covered all the Thor/Guardians interaction I expected to get and I'm honestly happy it worked out that way. Vol. 3 had enough going on without throwing Thor into the mix whereas the Guardians fit right in with the tone of Love and Thunder.
Yeah I was glad to see them at the beginning of L&T and they added to it by being there, and by being absent later.

I have a question:
What are the chances we get some Alpha/King Groot merchandise? Have we ever gotten merchandise based off of a post credits scene before?

Any insight would be extremely helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"