The state of childrens programing

Mister Gone

Master of His Toaster!
Reaction score
Anybody else notice that the vast majority of cartoons for kids are dumb as hell? A bunch of wanna be anime that just panders to lowest common denominator. What happened to Saturday morning? What were your favorite cartoons in the 80's, Transformers and Galaxy Rangers here

God bless the 80's, cool shows and no anime crap taking over the tube.

I miss Marshall Bravestarr, GI Joe, and M.A.S.K.

Those shows had heart...they tried to teach right and wrong, and even had the cheesy PSA's at the end...we need quality like that back on the air!

Wilhelm-Scream said:
Powers of Hawk, Wolf, Puma and Bear, dude. :up:

all those and the quickest draw in the galaxy :D

I'm grateful to have grown up in the WB age of ****ing awesome toons like Batman, Superman, Animaniacs, Freakazoid and Pinky & the Brain.

Anime = Good

Anime shown in america = ****stupidly horrible

Orko Is King said:
I'm grateful to have grown up in the WB age of ****ing awesome toons like Batman, Superman, Animaniacs, Freakazoid and Pinky & the Brain.

:up:

I miss those days.

It's really just the last ten years or so that cartoons have been dumbed down.

Where are today's Pinky & the Brain, Gargoyles, Bionic Six, Captain Planet or Visionaries? :mad: :confused: :(

I honestly pity today's generation of kids and the pop culture that is being imposed on them.

Wilhelm-Scream said:
and a best friend that'll let you ride him like a horse...:confused:

LMFAO!!!

I did always want a horse that knew how to use a shotgun!

I wonder if we'll ever get the seasons of Bravestarr on a box set??

musclesforsupes said:
We need a remake of Mathnet, Zoobolly Zoo, and The Electric Company.

How about Kids Incorporated?

Some cartoons are pretty good.

I enjoy the last avatar, for example.

Orko Is King said:

Hell yes. Me too. :up:

I read a very biased article about how most live childrens programming is produced by gay crews and thespians. Like the four asian guys that wear sweaters.

It was in some gay fearing men's magazine.

They also claimed spongebob is gay.

8Ball2/JanG5 said:
I read a very biased article about how most live childrens programming is produced by gay crews and thespians. Like the four asian guys that wear sweaters.

It was in some gay fearing men's magazine.

sponge bob is gay...

and I mean

gaaaaay.jpg

8Ball2/JanG5 said:
I read a very biased article about how most live childrens programming is produced by gay crews and thespians.
Gay crews and... stage actors?

I've always found claims that Spongebob is gay hilarious. Spongebob has no genitals, no sex drive, and has been shown to reproduce via budding. If he has sexual feelings for anyone (male or female), he's going to have a very difficult time physically expressing those feelings.

Anyway, not all new cartoons suck. You've got Avatar, Billy & Mandy, Foster's Home, Kids Next Door. As far as educational programming goes, you can't go wrong with Between the Lions and Dora the Explorer.

Manic said:
Gay crews and... stage actors?

I've always found claims that Spongebob is gay hilarious. Spongebob has no genitals, no sex drive, and has been shown to reproduce via budding. If he has sexual feelings for anyone (male or female), he's going to have a very difficult time physically expressing those feelings.

Anyway, not all new cartoons suck. You've got Avatar, Billy & Mandy, Foster's Home, Kids Next Door. As far as educational programming goes, you can't go wrong with Between the Lions and Dora the Explorer.

But his best friend looks like a.........

On topic, I remember at my barber's, I had to get there early to avoid the line.(he's a good barber) And I see that NBC has a fake show about kids trapped on an island, the plane crash was done in bad 3d animation, and it looks like it wants o be a lost ripoff without the plot, characters, brain, etc...And I think to myself, what happened to fighting the evils of the galaxy?

to be fair i think there is still a high quality of programming out there for children, it's just that we don't wish to want to accept that it may rival our beloved programmes of the past.

if we were to sit down kids now and tell them to watch thundercats, he-man and bravestar, they would laugh in our faces at how rubbish they are...

times have changed and tv has moved on. Things will never be as good as when we were a kid, but every generation will say that about a later one.

heck i still think my nintendo and super nintendo is one of the best consoles around and i won't even think about getting the new crappy powerful ones, it makes no logical sense except for it's nostalgia kicking in.

bring up any old cartoon, your memory of them is probably more airtight than they actually are.

as for the crappy anime wanna be look, i would put samurai jack and the clone wars in that category as well as tmnt and jackie chan's adventures (at least the first series) and i would defy anyone to say a bad word about any of these programmes.

i know the jl and jlu may not have kept the same standards as the original btas but it's still mighty high, higher than 80s cartoons.

i think what is needed is for older cartoons to be given a newer lease of life for us older viewers but without the bastardisation of the character. He-man went through two newer looks, i dont think either of them have caught on too well but that's not to say it can't work, look at the turtles.

if we take spidey for an example, each generation that has grown up with it seems to think that it's own generation was the best batch of cartoon.

the people who watched the sixties ones

the people who watched the spidey and friends 80s one

the nineties crowd which grabs up the unlimited batch

and the mtv crowd who believes they were on the right track but movie rights limited what could have been shown, som uch potential.

who's right and who's wrong? young pups laugh at old quality programmes and the older members find it hard to see what was lacked in perhaps animation was made up for in a higher quality of representation of a true character profile and voice acting. (although they did get high on disbelief)

to sum it up, it's all relative.

Honestly, I think it's a plot to destroy America. Hear me out:

In the olden days kids watched cartoons like G.I. Joes, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Spider-Man, and He-Man. These cartoons all expound upon ideals of personal responsibility, rugged toughness and powerful masculinity (i.e. He-Man). And who remembers Mutant League?

Now, kids watch shows like Pokemon, a cartoon featuring a boy who is quite possibly the sissiest protagonist next to Harry Potter. Cartoons are all flash and jumping up and down and corny creatures fighting each other with little to no lesson to them and where actual conflict is avoided almost entirely. In other countries, however, kids are being shown all sorts of crap that is on the complete opposite end of the scale. Generations from now, America will be populated with overtly p.c. nancy boys while the rest of the world is filled with deangerous, decencitized, killing mahcines.

The United States will be eaten alive and then the rest of the free world will fall. As they overun us and capture our facilities, these crazed killers will get their hands on advanced technology with world destroying capabilities. Their brains won't have the ability to cogitate upon the compounding responsibilities that come from such power and if someone actually brings up M.A.D. the only thing they will hear is AD. Weapons will be used, a war will rage and the Earth, nay, the entire universe will be destroyed! So now, I ask, I beg, I demand you write your congressman immediately and petition to restore Saturday mornings from an opportunity for extra sleep to their days of yore glory!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"