The Superbug or How washing your hands can save your life.

SoulManX

The Inspector!
Reaction score
How MRSA Works

As if you didn't have enough to worry about, now there's the superbug to contend with. No, it's not a giant mantis bent on world conquest. The superbug is a bacterium with a familiar name -- staph. And although this tiny invader doesn't possess 8-foot-long pincers like a giant mantis, it's just as deadly. What's worse, although we could probably take down a giant mantis with bullets -- or possibly rockets -- the superbug becomes harder to kill with each passing day.

It's also getting easier for the bug to kill us. In 2005, 19,000 people died from MRSA infections in the United States, and an average of 6.3 out of every 100,000 infections resulted in death [source: JAMA]. That's more than the number of people who died of AIDS complications in the same year. In the United Kingdom, cases of MRSA increased from 210 cases in 1993 to 5,300 in 2002 [source: University of Warwick].

Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, or MRSA (the superbug), was first noticed by physicians in the 1970s. The medical establishment kept an eye on the bug but found it could be killed by a round or two of traditional antibiotics. However, things have changed. Because of improperly taken prescriptions, as well as the presence of antibiotics in our food and water, this staph bug mutated and evolved into the superbug. Due to survival of the fittest, those strains that had lived through an assault of antibiotics went on to breed replicas of themselves. This natural selection eventually led to staph strains that are resistant to these antibodies.

Natural selection is a process of evolution by which those members of a species who live through catastrophe are thought to possess traits that help them survive. Through the survival of those members, these traits -- such as resistance to a disease -- pass from generation to generation. It's the reason you have an opposable thumb: As apes diverged genetically from Old World monkeys 6 to 8 million years ago, one of the results was the opposable thumb. As the thumb showed itself as a "handy" trait, it developed along with the primate family, which includes humans. The results are the human-dominated world we live in today -- thanks, in part, to our opposable thumbs.

The process of natural selection can takes tens (and in some cases, hundreds) of thousands of years to take place in humans. But this isn't the case for MRSA and some other bugs. As the Mayo Clinic put it, MRSA and other bacteria "live on an evolutionary fast track" [source: Mayo Clinic]. Rather than taking thousands of years to develop into their current lethal strain, MRSA has evolved -- and spread -- in mere decades. In 1974, MRSA infections made up two percent of all staph infections. By 2004, MRSA accounted for 63 percent [source: CDC]. What's worse is that this bug has been shown to be fatal in some cases, especially when it remains untreated.

One of the reasons for this is the bacteria's rapidly developing resistance to antibiotics. As its name implies, it's been resistant to Methicillin -- a penicillin-based antibiotic -- for some time now. But it's also showing resistance to other antibiotics, as well, and that has some physicians worried. MRSA can also be easily transferred from person to person, and two types of the bug have developed based on the setting where infection takes place.
So what exactly is this superbug, and just how do we fight it? In this article, we'll look at MRSA, and what -- if anything -- we can do to defeat it.

More at the site...

http://health.howstuffworks.com/mrsa.htm

Whoa, this was just a story on the front page of the paper here.
I thought it was funny because it said,
"New Alarm about Killer Bug!
Patient dies in blablabla hospital!
Also, blabla highschool gym shut down, GAME CANCELED!"

Hahaha

EDIT: Also, media....let's stop calling it "KILLER BUG", which makes us sound like 3 year olds.
Let's stick with MRSA. :up:

Whoa, this was just a story on the front page of the paper here.
I thought it was funny because it said,
"New Alarm about Killer Bug!
Patient dies in blablabla hospital!
Also, blabla highschool gym shut down, GAME CANCELED!"

Hahaha

I'm working from home and I have a local station playing in the background on the TV and I heard one of their news promo's for tonights show and it went something like "A new supervirus has been found that could threaten the lives of you and your loved ones. Tune in at ten tonight to find out what you can do to protect yourself."

LOL! Okay, killer bug that's a matter of life and death and I have to wait until ten o' clock tonight to find out what it is and how to protect myself? :D

jag

A friend mine had and said if felt like hot mayo running out of his wound.

Who wants a sandwich from Subway? Mmmmm!

jag

makes me think, how exactly did all these people get this bug? who does not wash their hands after taking a ****? and if you are at a restaurant... hell this might make me never go to one again... laziest generation ever is not gonna kill me....

Seriously, MRSA TERRIFIES me. I've been avoiding the gym because of it, but I really need to go :csad:

makes me think, how exactly did all these people get this bug? who does not wash their hands after taking a ****? and if you are at a restaurant... hell this might make me never go to one again... laziest generation ever is not gonna kill me....

Working in fast food in high school years I have seen **** that would turn you white.

Maybe if people werent constantly over-medicating themselves for every little thing, their bodies would be a littlre more resistant to this type of thing.

So this is the new Avian Flu? Goodie.

Let me know when SARS decides to make its comeback.

So this is the new Avian Flu? Goodie.

Let me know when SARS decides to make its comeback.

Yeah, this reminds me of the Bird Flu, SARS, West Nile Virus, any of those "pandemics" that were supposed to wipe us out and none of them worked out. I think I'll continue with my life as usual. I always laugh at people who freak out about this, like all the people who stayed home New Year's '99 fearing Y2K. Me, I went to Detroit to see Kid Rock, Ted Nugent and Metallica, we watched the news as all over the world people celebrated with no probelms, New Years hit Detroit no problems, well there was one, a part of the city lost power because someone shot a transformer. I'll keep living life as I have been, not worrying about what the media is trying to scare me with this week.

Bird Flu, SARS, West Nile Virus and Ted Nugent did not kill more people than AIDS last year.
I think.

Ted Nugent killed, skinned, and ate my cat....He then made a hat out of it...

Yeah, this reminds me of the Bird Flu, SARS, West Nile Virus, any of those "pandemics" that were supposed to wipe us out and none of them worked out. I think I'll continue with my life as usual. I always laugh at people who freak out about this, like all the people who stayed home New Year's '99 fearing Y2K. Me, I went to Detroit to see Kid Rock, Ted Nugent and Metallica, we watched the news as all over the world people celebrated with no probelms, New Years hit Detroit no problems, well there was one, a part of the city lost power because someone shot a transformer. I'll keep living life as I have been, not worrying about what the media is trying to scare me with this week.

kinda like that whole aids thing too huh? oh yea this bug has killed more people than aids did in a given year... weird....

i personally relish the fact that the herd that is the human race will finally be thinned out, hopefully, this **** bug does the trick.

kinda like that whole aids thing too huh? oh yea this bug has killed more people than aids did in a given year... weird....

i personally relish the fact that the herd that is the human race will finally be thinned out, hopefully, this **** bug does the trick.

Watch what you wish for....you might be one of the ones that is "thinned out".....:ninja:

Every year the media warns us about a new virus that'll kill us all and it hasn't happened. I'm not gonna spend time worrying about it.

Every year the media warns us about a new virus that'll kill us all and it hasn't happened. I'm not gonna spend time worrying about it.

its not really worrying about it, its like worrying about terrorism, if they want to, they are gonna do it. but being aware is a different thing.

and i mean it killed more people than aids in a given year... that isnt a little cause for concern? seeing as i see an aids commercial on television every day. and like the article stated... it starts from your poop. so just wash your hands, these little guys were created because someone didn't wash their hands.

Poor hygene is how this came out in the first place.Wash yourselfs,otherwise you might end up dead.

Serioiusly who doesn't wash there hands? I wash my hands after I eat a sandwich! After I take a duece I usually feel like taking a shower! Non-hygenic a-holes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"