The SV character I most identify with and why . . .

TWistim

Civilian
Reaction score
It’s been pretty quite around here in the last week or so and when this topic came up in another thread I thought it deserved a thread of it own.

What causes us to like or dislike a character? Clark, Lex, Lana, Lois, Chloe, are all equally liked and disliked by some. Why such a division of opinion? I agree with the following two comments.

Originally Posted by jr24tw
I guess in the end it all comes down to who you can most identify with IMO.

Originally Posted by Serene
That's certainly the big MarySue part of why we like certain characters (even male ones) over others. You can either identify with characteristics you see in them or sometimes just their situations. Sometimes it's more the opposite, seeing something in them that you wish you were more like. And of course there's always the attraction factor.

So who's your favorite character and why? Which character do you find the hardest to understand? Are there any other factors that contribute to our individual like or dislike of a character?

Great idea for a thread, TWistim. My only quibble would be the title sort of narrows it down from a more general discussion that your last question proposes. But maybe that's more what you intended?

I'm going to repost my entire post (because I'm lazy like that) :p

I will add that Clark is by far my favorite character, because as obvious as it is - it really is all about him. Lana is my second favorite character, followed pretty closely by Lex. I'm a pretty old-school big 3 SV fan. Lois would make it a big 4, but we really don't see her enough.

That's certainly the big MarySue part of why we like certain characters (even male ones) over others. You can either identify with characteristics you see in them or sometimes just their situations. Sometimes it's more the opposite, seeing something in them that you wish you were more like. And of course there's always the attraction factor.

I don't *think* that I dislike Chloe just because I like Lana, because I love Lois. I didn't care for her when she was first introduced, she was too much of a one-note harsh character, but they've done a wonderful job of fleshing her out and making her a more complex and lovable woman since then. Lois has a lot more traits that I respect - even if she is still feeling her way there on a few of them, she's still got this strong and honest "core" that I really admire. Chloe's role in this show has gone the exact opposite of what I think it should have, especially now that we have Lois present and accounted for. I just don't find Chloe to be as nice or honest a person as she thinks she is, and I'm not overly fond of how she treats Clark, let alone anyone else. Of the three women on this show, she is definitely the last one I'd be friends with.
Almost forgot about Kara - I like Kara a lot too, her 'faults' are all age and maturity related, IMO, but Clark will help her learn and grow past that, hopefully.

I don't wish for them to kill Chloe off, it would be VERY sad if they did since she is a one of the leads on this show at this point, and she is Clark's best friend. But honestly, I'd be fine with them moving her away and increasing Lois' role as the investigative reporter on this show, keeping Lana as the love interest/emotional support (that's evolving into something different - more honest, with increasing independence, and a more mature outlook).

Great idea for a thread, TWistim. My only quibble would be the title sort of narrows it down from a more general discussion that your last question proposes. But maybe that's more what you intended?

I'm going to repost my entire post (because I'm lazy like that) :p

I will add that Clark is by far my favorite character, because as obvious as it is - it really is all about him. Lana is my second favorite character, followed pretty closely by Lex. I'm a pretty old-school big 3 SV fan. Lois would make it a big 4, but we really don't see her enough.

Thanks, Serene. I wrestled with the thread title so if you think of a better one that would generate more discussion I don't mind changing it. (Don't actually know how to do that? :huh: but if it can be done I will.) I just thought the discussion of this topic in the Gemini thread was really interesting and belonged in a thread of its own.

My favorite character is Clark. If you've read my reviews I think you'd probably see that, but the reason he is my favorite is almost entirely because of Tom.

I am a big Superman fan (and have been since way before a lot of people 'round here were even a twinkle in their daddys' eyes), so I like the character of Clark Kent a lot, but the way that Tom plays him is so perfect.

I just love Clark.

I love the other characters as well, but none come close to how I feel about Clark.

He's the reason I watch, but I'm not sure how much I "identify" with him.

I saw this conversation start in the Gemini thread and then migrate here (good idea btw, because it was getting off topic over there.)

Anyway, my favorite character is Clark. Duh! :D LOL But I'm not sure how much of that has to do with me "identifying" with him more than any other character, because really, how could anybody identify with that? I have a hard enough time understanding Tom Welling, never the hell mind trying to identify with Clark Kent. Hee!

I keeed, I keeed. ;)

Seriously though, the writers are spending the better part of a whole season showing how Chloe has to adapt to the stresses imposed by *her* secret, and Lana had to be giving Clark's powers in order to appreciate what it's like to walk in his shoes - and she STILL didn't get it. So if the characters are having a rough time with it, I'm not sure I can relate to it either. The real life metaphors are obvious: teen angst, individualism, balancing goals, coming of age, etc., but when it comes to meteor freaks and super powered aliens from Krypton, those elements are a leeetle bit beyond my reality LOL.

So for me, it's not so much about relating to Clark (though having empathy for him plays a HUGE part), it's about the fantasy, escapism and pure joy that comes from believing in him. I should also add that said joy is completely dependent on how the character is written and who plays him, 'cause if it were just the character alone, I could get my jollies by simply reading the comics. Clearly, Tom Welling plays a HUGE part in my love for Clark Kent and Smallville. I'm not sure I can emphasize that enough.

Of the female characters on the show, my favorite has always been Chloe. I love her wit and spunky drive, and most especially, her devotion to Clark. From the Pilot forward, I always got the impression that no matter what happened - no matter how bad things became - Chloe would throw herself under a bus in order to protect Clark. That includes the 3rd season; she carried a torch for him even during those dark times. I often think of Chloe as the voice of the audience...

Chloe: To me, you're more than just a hero. You're a super hero.
Clark: Chloe...
Chloe: I'm serious, Clark. If more humans were like you, the world would be a better place.

Chloe: We didn't ask for a world that needs heroes, but the truth is we do. Now more than ever, Clark.

Clark: Well, see, that's the thing. No matter how many people I save, I can't solve the world's problems.
Chloe: I don't know anyone else who does more for this world than you.​

Even in Clark's own psyche, Chloe was the one person who believed in him. My assumption is that she will eventually die for Clark, but I hope they wait till the end before that happens...

Chloe: Look, Clark, I understand that you haven't been yourself, but you know that I would never tell Lionel your secret. I'd never tell anyone. I'd die before I'd betray you.​

Lois is a close second in favorite female characters on SV. I like her and Clark's one-upmanship and the way they playfully butt heads...

Clark: Lois? She's bossy, she's stuck up, she's rude. I can't stand her.
Lana: The best ones always start that way.

Lois: You're amazing, Smallville. You always look for the best in people even when they walk all over you.
Clark: I guess that explains why we're friends.
Lois: Oh, we're friends now?
Clark: Well, I won't tell anyone if you don't.​

Their destiny as a married couple makes it that much more entertaining, because even now, both seem to know each other in ways that no other character has been able to see...

Clark: There are times when I think you don't know me at all... and others where I think you know me better than anyone.
Lois: That's what I'm here for, Smallville -- one save at a time.

Clark: Lois, you're like a pit bull on a pant leg. You're never gonna let this go until you know for sure.
Lois: I hate that you know me like that.​

One of the best scenes to encapsulate where both ladies stand in terms of Clark was in Pariah...

Chloe: Lois, if you found out something, something someone didn't want you to know about them, would you tell them?
Lois: That depends. Is that person someone you care about?
Chloe: Yeah.
Lois: And does keeping the secret hurt anyone?
Chloe: No.
Lois: Then my answer is no. If I really cared about that person, I wouldn't tell them that I knew. But I would go out of my way to be supportive of them so that hopefully, one day, they would be comfortable enough to tell me themselves.​

I'm a happy viewer just having Lois and Clark's verbal sparring, Clark and Chloe's scooby-dooing, and Lex's nefarious machinations wrapped around a good story every week. Throw in a few curve balls from Lionel and Jor-El, a little Bizarro and Brainiac on one side, and Green Arrow and Co on the other side, and I'll be smiling ear to ear.

My overall favorite character is Clark also and I love this version because of Tom. It’s that simple. To me, he personally embodies the character of Superman or “The Ideal Man.” (Hence my username, in case you haven’t figured it out.) He’s attractive on the outside and the inside. What more can I say: he’s just got the full package! :heart:

The character I most identify with would be Lois although I haven’t always liked how they have written her on SV (too abrasive at times IMO). I agree with Serene that they are now fleshing her out better and SV Lois is now becoming much more like the iconic character. The way I see her, she’s feisty, independent, honest, loyal, gutsy, fearless, tenacious, uncompromising and impulsive, so she tends to act first and says what she thinks (often putting her foot in her mouth). She’s not a “girly” girl so she likes and gets along well with men as friends, sometimes even better than women. She’s attracted to danger and loves a challenge, therefore, she gets herself into trouble quite often and falls easily for the wrong man, especially in her earlier years and before she falls for Superman.

I see Chloe, for the most part, the same way as Pat, and the only thing that really irritates me about her is when she is written to tell Clark what to do. Like when she yells at him, “Go.” It makes her look heroic and Clark look reluctant. And that ain’t right. :cmad:

Lex is another character I really enjoy. I don’t identify with Lex morally but I respect his fearless determination. It’s also fun to watch someone who can keep you guessing. You really never know what he’s up to. I tend to be more open and direct instead of secretive and subtle. I really like the SV Lex. He’s not the all out evil one-note villain of the comics. He’s more complex and I tend to believe that if he’d had his father’s love, he might have always stretched the line, but he wouldn’t have crossed over it to the point of no return. :csad:

I identify with Lex... the person who wants to destroy SV, in it's current interpretation... whether he knows it or not

I actually relate to Clark, I sympathize with his trying to whats right and trying to be good and sometimes failing, because I try to be fair and good as much as I can and don't always make it. And I guess anyone can relate to feeling a bit different and learning to accept it. I've never related to any of the females on the show, even though I am one, I don't really 'get them" lol. Chloe maybe a little more now, but I never related to her pining after Clark I guess because if someone doesn't like me, its hard for me to continue to like them, lol, so I didn't get why that was such a big deal, but I'm sure it is for some. Don't understand Lana either, but I know quite a few girls like her and I don't understand them either, lol. Lois I kind of get, and she's interesting to watch. Kara is about as relevant as an empty water bottle for me.

Lex I understand and am fascinated by, but he's pretty weak, so I don't relate to him or admire him.

I identify with Clark the most.
He is an alien, which makes him feel alone, a lot of people feel that way.
He tries his best but not even he's powers can save people
at times, like Ryan.
We always see Superman as a God but SV CK brings out the human side more. We see CK making mistakes all the time. Like putting on red k on purpose. SV shows that Clark, even an alien, has humans problems like all of us.

Okay, I'll stop being lazy and answer the question actually proposed by the title. :)

There's no one character that I strongly identify with, but I think most people, myself included, would (hopefully) identify with Clark and his desire to do the right thing just because it's the right thing, and not for any other reason. Of course, sometimes that's easier said than done, especially without the superpowers.

I also feel a bit of a kinship with Martha, just because of her maternal devotion to Clark. This is why I'm one of those who was always more sympathetic to Martha's anger at Clark after the Alicia fiasco. Even good parents lose their minds out of worry sometimes.

As far as the girls on the show, I guess Lois is the one I probably have the most in common with (except physically - damnit! ;)). I can be a little stubborn, loud and unrelenting, especially when I feel really strongly about something. As far as Chloe - well who hasn't been the underdog or the victim of unrequited love? She's very easy to relate to in that sense, but I'm waaay past those kinds of concerns, so aside from also being too fond of my PC, I don't think I have anything else in common with Chloe. I can sympathize with Lana's frustrations and anger that she's felt all the years she didn't know about Clark but still loved him, but honestly, I would have walked away much sooner than she did. Although, I guess after finding out about him, and realizing that he indeed still loved me, I would have come flying back too. :D C'mon, it's CLARK. :heart:

Good question. Thought I'd join in the fun...

Who do I most identify with?

Clark. Because no matter how hard he keeps trying to do right by people, he still makes mistakes...(I think we all can identify with that)

Lois. Practical. Always been so, always will be. Practical when the time calls, but also loves to laugh at life. The kind of woman most guys would (should) cherish. Real.

Who don't I identify with?

Chloe. Sorry all, she just never interested me (Sorry, Pat!).

Lionel. Likes to change allegiance depending on what he's had for breakfast (or rather, what TPTB have determined is needed for the flavor of the season...). Though I've always admired Mr. Glover; he adds something special to the show -- and I have my own special connection to him. ;)

Most here understand, I think, that the reason this show has had such wide-ranging appeal and long-term success is precisely because there is a character for everyone -- even if their motivations are...ehm...sometimes suspect. But most of all, even though it's a show about the contemporary interpretation of a very popular superhero, it reflects essential human emotions, ambitions, needs, desires, faults and frailties.

And even though it's been a fun ride, I think I'm not alone in saying that I would love to see them take it to the next level... if you know what I'm saying... ;)

There you have it, boys and girls. Ol' Jack's official opinion.

:word:

I identify with Clark only because I know what it's like to feel strongly for someone, but being unable to tell them.

Chloe. Sorry all, she just never interested me (Sorry, Pat!).
LOL! Don't sweat it. :heart:

Though I've always admired Mr. Glover; he adds something special to the show -- and I have my own special connection to him. ;)
No way?! Really? Well ya learn somethin' new every day. Rock on, Jack!
rainbow.gif

Most here understand, I think, that the reason this show has had such wide-ranging appeal and long-term success is precisely because there is a character for everyone
Totally agree!

And even though it's been a fun ride, I think I'm not alone in saying that I would love to see them take it to the next level... if you know what I'm saying... ;)
Yeah, about that. Um, ya think you can move things along? Just a bit? 'Cause we're all getting ridiculously impatient. :D

Good question. Thought I'd join in the fun...
:word:

Thanks, Jack. Glad you did! :yay:

Most here understand, I think, that the reason this show has had such wide-ranging appeal and long-term success is precisely because there is a character for everyone -- even if their motivations are...ehm...sometimes suspect. But most of all, even though it's a show about the contemporary interpretation of a very popular superhero, it reflects essential human emotions, ambitions, needs, desires, faults and frailties.

Great summation of why this show has been such a success! There's a great ensemble cast and each one brings something special to the table. Clark always gets my main attention but lately as I've been rewatching different seasons I have tried to focus a little more on different characters.

Originally Posted by Serene
I also feel a bit of a kinship with Martha, just because of her maternal devotion to Clark. This is why I'm one of those who was always more sympathetic to Martha's anger at Clark after the Alicia fiasco. Even good parents lose their minds out of worry sometimes.

I'm so glad you mentioned Martha. I really miss her . . . and Jonathan. :(

Great topic, TWistim. :)

Clark is my favorite character but as some others have said, I don’t know if I identify with him the most. I guess I can identify most with seeing his willingness to always do the right thing. Even if we all don’t always end up doing the right things, Clark’s intentions, are relatable in a certain way.

Actually I don’t know if I relate to any character. Lol. Bits and parts of different characters maybe.

Like with Lana her self awareness that other people’s perceptions of her sometimes differ from who she really is. I find that very real and relatable.

And with Lois it’s the fact that she jumps in first often and thinks later. I have been known to do that often. Her love of junkfood is also relatable, Lol. I also (like to, lol) consider myself as quite loyal, so this is identifiable as well.

Even Lex, odd enough. Sometimes we all know we might not be doing the right thing but we try to rationalize it. Lex especially in earlier seasons did this a lot, and it is kind of identifiable.

I guess with Chloe, it’s probably her loyalty too, but because that only seems so Clark specific, I kind of don’t end up identifying therefore. Of all the characters she seems most unreal to me, and that’s probably the reason I like her the least, unfortunately.

Yeah, about that. Um, ya think you can move things along? Just a bit? 'Cause we're all getting ridiculously impatient. :D

So is everyone else...

But...surprising things happen everyday in La La Land...

Did anyone ever think that Mr. Bale would sign up for a Terminator film...?

;)

So is everyone else...

But...surprising things happen everyday in La La Land...

Did anyone ever think that Mr. Bale would sign up for a Terminator film...?

;)

LOL!

:D

True, but it must be an impressive script for Bale to sign on. My interest was immediately upped quite a few notches in that project once he signed....

Are Tom's fans going to get more intested in any other projects that you know of?

:ninja:

Great thread!!!

Basically, I love Clark. I've always loved Superman but now I really love Clark Kent. He, as portrayed by Tom Welling, is the main reason I watch this show. Sometimes he's the only reason I watch this show. I don’t know how much I relate to him but he’s the only character I can really identify with, in a way.

About the females of the show: I used to like Chloe. I still do, sometimes, but I'm scared of some of her fans. I don't particularly care about the others. I don't relate to them. I used to like Martha but she completely lost what was left of my affection in season 6.

I used to enjoy the Clex interaction but Lex kind of annoys me now on the show. That’s why I resort to reading fics.

That's about it.:yay:

Clark. I have the same dillema of wanting to have my life and find happyness and still have to do what's right for everybody and not just me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"