The Taskmaster thread

So disappointed with Taskmaster in this movie. I know Feigie is a comic guy, why would he allow this. I know there’s freedom but you’re not gonna let someone have Cyclops shoot beams out of his nostrils or let the Things be yellow rocks.
Is there any recent time where there’s a mystery character we know nothing about and everyone just says he and guy. And the director things boom it’s actually a girl and ppl will be shocked by that?

the trailers really gave it away but man did I hate the swerve and Taskmaster overall. Nothing like the comic at all and just a waste. I don’t hate the costumes but it’s still worse than any recent Taskmasters we’ve seen in media whether that’s the Avengers game or Spidey PS4

More worse than the Mandarin lol....wow. Taskmaster was 10x better than that.
Sounds like they got the physicality of Taskmaster right.
I just want to see a few good fights withTaskmaster.
I don't need his backstory.
LET'S RUMBLE!

I was pretty disappointed with how they utilized Taskmaster in this film aswell. Just a weak villian overall and I feel like the twist could have worked only if he actually had any real character development which he didn't.

Honestly, he just felt like a lesser version of Bucky in TWS, but atleast you had somekind of established emotional connection to Bucky from TFA while here you got pretty much nothing.

The way I see it: The Taskmaster that you see in Black Widow isn’t the supposed to be a straight adaption of the comics version the same way the Mandarin in Iron Man 3 isn’t supposed to be a straight adaption of the comics Mandarin. Antonia Dreykov is not supposed to be a gender-bent version of Tony Masters. She’s an original character created for the purpose of the film. So that doesn’t preclude another, more comics faithful version of Taskmaster from appearing in the MCU eventually.

One idea that I have to bring in the comic-faithful Taskmaster is have MCU Tony Masters appropriate the mantle and forge his own American version of the identity.

Last edited:
It's always funny to see the comic book fans get up and arms about how certain characters like Taskmaster and The "Mandarin" are treated when general audiences really couldn't care less. I would have liked to have seen a more accurate portrayal and more from the character but this isn't what the movie was about.

The way I see it: The Taskmaster that you see in Black Widow isn’t the supposed to be a straight adaption of the comics version the way the Mandarin in Iron Man 3 isn’t supposed to be a straight adaption of the comics Mandarin. Antonia Dreykov is not supposed to be a gender-bent version of Tony Masters. She’s an original character created for the purpose of the film. So that doesn’t preclude another, more comics faithful version of Taskmaster from appearing in the MCU eventually.

One idea is that I have to bring in the comic-faithful Taskmaster is have MCU Tony Masters appropriate the mantle and forge his own American version of identity.

My thoughts exactly!

Well...people wanted Taskmaster in a movie...and we got one.

I don't mind the changes in character that I'm sure certain parts of fandom are losing their minds over...no big deal at all. It STARTED as if this was some new Winter Soldier type that was unbeatable and all that...but then it just didnt go anywhere interesting.

Taskmaster kicked a lot of butt in this and the way that its set up, I could easily see the title returning to screw over other heroes.

It's always funny to see the comic book fans get up and arms about how certain characters like Taskmaster and The "Mandarin" are treated when general audiences really couldn't care less. I would have liked to have seen a more accurate portrayal and more from the character but this isn't what the movie was about.

E556ew6UUAIX0CB

I didn't hate the movie. I liked it, but I was not OK with this. I get that wasn't what this movie was about and the point they were making with the character. I simply don't get wasting Taskmaster on such a gimmick, especially when the whole mimicking everyone's style thing was hardly even used beyond the first scene.

E556ew6UUAIX0CB

I didn't hate the movie. I liked it, but I was not OK with this. I get that wasn't what this movie was about and the point they were making with the character. I simply don't get wasting Taskmaster on such a gimmick, especially when the whole mimicking everyone's style thing was hardly even used beyond the first scene.

That's a nice way to put it Vile.

I felt the same way. I liked and didn't like what they did with Tasky.

Very similar to my view on what they've done with the Skrulls in the MCU.

Listen, I can totally understand that there are millions of people who are going to see this movie this weekend and won't give two ****s about the changes to Taskmaster. I get it. It's a movie, and the primary audience is general moviegoers and not hardcore comic fans. I recognize that.

At the same time, I don't appreciate my criticisms as a fan being dismissed because like "hehe no one cares about the changes."

I think a big reason this franchise has been successful in the first place because we started seeing movies that more closely resemble the quality stories and characters we grew up reading. The people making the movies treated the characters with respect and understood their value and importance. Changes were still made, but usually the most important elements came through.

And there have still been tons of changes since. I think we can still voice our disappointment as long as its done in a reasonable, respectable manner. I'm not going all outrage and saying don't see this f'n movie or like "Black Widow is man-hating garbage!" That's not the case here.

I just don't appreciate sacrificing a favorite character who you could've done so much with and gotten a lot of mileage out of for basically a throwaway character and subplot.

My vision for Taskmaster is that he basically could've been the MCU's Boba Fett but basically taking the idea of a Boba Fett character in the MCU to its logical conclusion. A really cool, badass mercenary, cutthroat that gets involved with the heroes, maybe gets thwarted repeatedly, but will always get away due to his master of disguise abilities.

Then why even call this Taskmaster at all? It's a weak and flimsy justification IMHO.

But why though?

Do you want to know the kicker?!
this version of Taskmaster is a combination of Taskmistress and Iron Maiden from the comics. Instead of having Rachel Weisz as Melina Vostokoff it should have been Olga Kurylenko rather than Antonia Dreykov.

watch this video and you’ll see why.

So...we're now hoping that the REAL Taskmaster shows up someday??? And somehow STILL this wasnt a crappy waste of a character?

Let's keep in mind, Iron Man 3 came out in May 2013. In other words, that movie is eight years old at this point. It took over eight years to finally figure out a way to use the "real" Mandarin as a villain. And we still haven't even seen this Mandarin and know if he will be a decent villain or not. And there's no short film setting up:

Antonio was never the real Taskmaster! Dreykov simply modeled her after the genuine article! The real Taskmaster exists and he's not happy about all this bull****! You better watch out Antonio and Widows! The real Taskmaster is coming back for his revenge!

Do you want to know the kicker?!
this version of Taskmaster is a combination of Taskmistress and Iron Maiden from the comics. Instead of having Rachel Weisz as Melina Vostokoff it should have been Olga Kurylenko instead of Antonia Dreykov.

So basically this should've been Iron Maiden. Leave Taskmaster aside for another day. EZ PZ.

If the villain is not developed and is not interesting, then the stakes don't exist and I don't care what happens.

Imagine if Taskmaster was emotionally connected to Natasha and had real character and motivation.

Just to clarify...the change in character that I see as no big deal is the
gender swap. I just don't see the gender of the character as being central to what makes it work

So why change if it doesn't add anything to the story and the actor has nothing to do?

It was a change just to have more female actresses, which is ironic given that they didn't give her anything valuable to work with.

So why change if it doesn't add anything to the story and the actor has nothing to do?
Because it VERY CLEARLY fit the story they wanted to tell. It fits in with details given about this story all the way back to Avengers. Matching the comics is not as important as matching the already established MCU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"