The Technology Thread - Part 1

Just imagine the burn time to write 200tb to a optical disk. Then the read time. :suprise:

can someone explain to me why they don't put 2TB or more hard drives into PC's? i'm too lazy to google

can someone explain to me why they don't put 2TB or more hard drives into PC's? i'm too lazy to google
Cheaping out is my guess. They save a little money but still charge you more for a PC with undersized storage space.

Cheaping out is my guess. They save a little money but still charge you more for a PC with undersized storage space.
If they put storage on your machine then they couldn't sell you cloud storage . . . .

Also if you're paying for cloud storage then you really shouldn't need that kind of space unless you're running some really massive local installs.

I don't trust the cloud for several reasons, not the least of which is renting space I could own, the propensity for it to get hacked, deleted or otherwise misused and for the occasion where the internet goes out, or data caps or the many other reasons cloud storage isn't the ideal solution for me.

The average person doesn't need that much storage in their day-to-day life. Also, everything is moving to SSDs and the $/TB ratio of SSDs has not reached that of HDDs (yet).

I have 2TB and 4TB HDDs for my digital library (games, movies, music, comics, tech books) in a NAS. I have the occasional photos and video from concerts as well. But yeah... Average Joe is content with the 128GB SSD that comes with his laptop and, if needed, will use a cloud storage provider for his wedding photos, his grandma's recipes and whatnot.

I'm not an average user so my number is slightly highly skewed but anything less than 2tb is too small. That doesn't have to be an ssd either.

Yep, depending on the data you are hoarding/storing a 2TB can be filled up quickly.

My 4TB is almost at its capacity with my Blu-ray collection and game library I've backed up over the years.

I suppose that is what secondary and tertiary and etc hard drives are for. There are some real whoppers out there too. Some day I would like to purchase one of those 20+ tb drives but still out of my price range.

I suppose that is what secondary and tertiary and etc hard drives are for. There are some real whoppers out there too. Some day I would like to purchase one of those 20+ tb drives but still out of my price range.
When it comes to HDDs, I stand by to Western Digital. Still, no matter the brand/maker of the HDD, they are all mechanical drives so they are all prone to die eventually. SSDs don't have the same issue since they are not mechanical, but they still have their cons.

That is why I recommend the 3-2-1 rule of backup. So, don't put all your eggs in one basket!

My main drive is an ssd, capping out at 465gb. And I have multiple back ups. I've had enough drives fail over the years to never keep a single copy anywhere. But there is cold storage too. While SSD's are great they are still way too expensive to get in larger capacity. Rust drives are fine for the time being until the size and costs of ssd's are more managable.

Reactions: Gee
The average person doesn't need that much storage in their day-to-day life. Also, everything is moving to SSDs and the $/TB ratio of SSDs has not reached that of HDDs (yet).

I have 2TB and 4TB HDDs for my digital library (games, movies, music, comics, tech books) in a NAS. I have the occasional photos and video from concerts as well. But yeah... Average Joe is content with the 128GB SSD that comes with his laptop and, if needed, will use a cloud storage provider for his wedding photos, his grandma's recipes and whatnot.

thanks for explaining. i am definitely not the average joe they are looking for then as i still prefer PC to laptop and do not really like clouding things much at all.

what does NAS stand for?

You CRT people are weirdos. You know who you are. :o

images

The laser projector is the flashy feature that could make this sell.

You CRT people are weirdos. You know who you are. :o

images
Back then when PC gamers "upgraded" from CRT monitors to LCD ones, it was actually a downgrade...

Colors and even refresh rate were so much superior on a CRT monitor.

1713544166932.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"