Constantine (NBC)

In Development:
Titans
Supergirl (CBS)

Archie

Rumored:
Krypton
X-related-show

And that doesn't include the Marvel Netflix shows, Powers on Playstation TV, or Walking Dead

between this and the, like, 10+ movies they just announced, are DC trying to burst the comic bubble??

Last edited:
No sir. This is like a golden age where we're getting spoiled if anything. I can see how some can see it as an over saturation, but right now I am loving it.

What's Krypton? Is it like Gotham?

I love it! Even the ones that I don't watch are still introducing new people to the world of comics, so that's ultimately a positive.

And what is Grayson? You mean the Titans show? That's confirmed to have a pilot commitment on TNT.

Krypton is a show that David Goyer is supposedly working on developing, according to Bleeding Cool

Grayson I remember hearing being developed, but I guess it may have been changed to 'Titans' or whatever. Should've filed that one under "Rumored" I suppose

and if all the shows were really high quality, I'd enjoy them all and have no problem with the high number of them
but when the majority are average at best, the over-saturation sets in much more quickly

This is like a golden age where we're getting spoiled if anything.

I agree that, purely speaking as a fanboy, it's a fun time to be watching TV
but you must recognize that the market can only bare so much of one thing before audiences tire of it, no?
This is short-term thinking at the expense of the longterm longevity of the industry
so as a fan, yes, totally awesome... I just don't want to see comics go the way of westerns anytime soon

Last edited:
Krypton is a show that David Goyer is supposedly working on developing, according to Bleeding Cool

Grayson I remember hearing being developed, but I guess it may have been changed to 'Titans' or whatever. Should've filed that one under "Rumored" I suppose

and if all the shows were really high quality, I'd enjoy them all and have no problem with the high number of them
but when the majority are average at best, the over-saturation sets in much more quickly

Even average shows will create new fans. The Spawn movie wasn't hailed as a classic, nor did it get a sequel, but I'm sure there are some readers/collectors who are into the character now because of the movie.

Grayson was the show that was going to be about the Graysons before the accident. It's from the Smallville days and never got picked up.

Some things to keep in mind:

-Comic isn't a genre. Archie and Powers are not for the same audience. It's like saying there's too many book adaptations.
-The Netflix shows will release all 13 episodes of a season at once, so with binge watching, it won't really be competing with regular weekly programming in the long term.
-Development =/= full season order.

And maybe it's just me, but 5 shows isn't too much at all. I remember when I was a kid and used to watch like 5 shows on Saturday morning alone.

Last edited:
are you f**kin' kiddin' me?... I'm in comicbook heaven these days... as long as they're done reasonably well, BRING 'EM ON... and bring on MORE...

are you f**kin' kiddin' me?... I'm in comicbook heaven these days... as long as they're done reasonably well, BRING 'EM ON... and bring on MORE...

well that's the thing, out of the 5 on air, I'd say only 2 are reasonably well done
that's a poor average.

Granted, 3 of them are new, so they could improve

and I know development is different from in production, but it seems like the networks are willing to gobble up anything comic related these days. I would not be the least bit surprised to hear that Supergirl, New Mutants (or whatever its called) and Krypton all get picked up next year. If it was based on a comic, execs assume it'll equal ratings gold, which it quite often does at the moment, but who knows for how long.

So if we have 3 new shows come out a year, and only one is really any good, then within a few years, we will be flooded by popular but mediocre shows. (and yes, that happens A LOT, just look at Big Bang Theory)

I'm not saying the shows are terrible, or even that I'm not enjoying them. It's just unbelievable to me, as someone who grew up assuming we'd NEVER see quality superhero films, letalone TV shows, that were now in an era when every single network wants their very own comic-book show

Gotham is ok , but I wish we had the arrow universe expand with a Nightwing show. the networks are really starting to capitalize on this , but not every show will be a major success or last as long. I think eventually it will even itself out. I'm loving it though.

Having basically 1 superhero show on each network is not to many superhero shows.

You can practically rattle off 4-5+ shows of any particular genre currently playing as well as in development just the same.

How many cops or sitcoms do we need..

Last edited:
Having basically 1 superhero show on each network is not to many superhero shows.

disagreed, especially when half kinda suck

You can practically rattle off 4-5+ shows of any particular genre currently playing as well as in development just the same.

Well, I would say the same about sitcoms, police procedurals, and reality TV, because we certainly could use less of those.... but this here's a (mainly) comic book website, hence why I'm focusing on those shows

Just because they suck doesn't mean there are to many of them. Especially when thus far all of them are really different.

Flash is about a super powered hero, Arrow is about a non powered hero, Constantine is about a paranormal hero, AoS doesn't even have superheroes but is just set in that world, Gotham is a prequel about a the people around a guy who becomes a hero and doesnt even feature any "superheroes"

The only ones I watch are The Walking Dead, Gotham and Agents of SHIELD. None of them come close to the greatness of shows like Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad, but they're decent enough. TWD is the best of the bunch, and AOS has more good episodes than bad.

I'm planning on watching Agent Carter and the Marvel Netflix shows.

I've heard good things about Arrow and Flash, but considering that they aren't tying them in to the DC cinematic universe and I already watch enough TV as it is, I'm not planning on checking either of them out anytime soon.

I'm liking the broadening of the genre in television, and a lot of it is thanks to The Walking Dead.

How many Law and Orders and CSI's are on tv again? "Comic book shows" aren't a genre in of itself. Walking Dead is nothing like Flash which is nothing like Gotham which is nothing like Constantine. Comic books, just like regular books and novels, are a wide varied medium. Now, if we had 10 "superhero" shows about people suiting up in colorful costumes fighting superpowered criminals then maybe we could talk about oversaturation because it'd literally be the same thing over and over. Right now though, we are getting a wide variety of adaptations and theres nothing wrong with that.

How many cops or sitcoms do we need..

Just because they suck doesn't mean there are to many of them. Especially when thus far all of them are really different.

Flash is about a super powered hero, Arrow is about a non powered hero, Constantine is about a paranormal hero, AoS doesn't even have superheroes but is just set in that world, Gotham is a prequel about a the people around a guy who becomes a hero and doesnt even feature any "superheroes"

The previous posts were all QFT.

Personally, I'm at the point where I'd rather see superheroes on TV than the movies. First of all, because comics have a mythology that's almost too large for the standard cinematic trilogy, and second, because superhero movies are crowding out other blockbusters. There are only a limited number of slots for summer movies, especially big ones, but there's practically an unlimited number of TV channels.

No sir. This is like a golden age where we're getting spoiled if anything. I can see how some can see it as an over saturation, but right now I am loving it.

I agree. I haven't watched Flash yet because I'm still catching up on season two of Arrow on Netflix, but I'm loving so much comic book material on tv.

I remember as a kid flipping my **** over the Generation-X and David Hasselhoff Nick Fury TV movies. They were such a big deal to me at the time because live action superhero stuff was such a rarity. Right now there is so much of it to choose from. Not all of it is the best, but at least they're trying to give us stuff.

I need Riverdale so bad I can taste it. :o

I agree. I haven't watched Flash yet because I'm still catching up on season two of Arrow on Netflix, but I'm loving so much comic book material on tv.

I remember as a kid flipping my **** over the Generation-X and David Hasselhoff Nick Fury TV movies. They were such a big deal to me at the time because live action superhero stuff was such a rarity. Right now there is so much of it to choose from. Not all of it is the best, but at least they're trying to give us stuff.

god, I remember those two films and I still have them in my superhero video library...

TV is already "Saturated" with other genres like the police procedural.

My problem is that there isnt a Superhero TV show as good as Game of Thrones or Walking Dead.

TV is already "Saturated" with other genres like the police procedural.

My problem is that there isnt a Superhero TV show as good as Game of Thrones or Walking Dead.

I'm only about halfway through season two of Arrow, but I'd say that while the highs aren't as good as The Walking Dead's highs, the lows aren't as bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"