Television Civil War: Marvel TV vs DCTV

I don't know about the rest of your comment, but let's kill this idea, bury it in an unmarked grave and drive away. There is no safe place for the idea that Supergirl, with it's, and I quote, "attractive yet nonthreatening racially diverse cast of a CW show," super suburban bent on all things urban, refusal to do an interracial relationship and ultimate deep moment with the sister coming out storyline has is somehow more controversial than, say, Jessica Jones. Not only does Jessica Jones see the 'coming out' "controversial" storyline and raise the stakes to a full blown murderous Lesbian love triangle office affair, but it did it first, before Supergirl was even ready to touch the subject of sexual orientation. Not only does Jessica Jones not rely on fanservice, which is what made the first episodes of Season 2 80% with Superman in a safe way, as opposed to the rest of the show with just his villains being around 60%, but Jessica Jones deals with actual controversial issues: drug addiction, rape survival, emotionally and mentally abusive relatoinships, stage parenting, PTSD, an interacial couple who isn't afraid to actually be together, or have lots and lots of sex, torture, illegal imprisonment, heroic exsanguination, and more and more and more controversial issues than Supergirl is even allowed to speak because she is a character who doesn't have to deal with that stuff. And by deals with I don't mean 'mentions casually' but has actual people experience the issue and then fall on either side of the issue and none of them are completely wrong or right.

If you're going to say that Supergirl is more controversial, then lets list some controversial things it's done that Jessica Jones and Daredevil have not. If you're going to say that Daredevil, or for fricks sake Jessica Jones plays it safe, then please point out some safe things its done or controversial things its avoided. Daredevil is almost as controversial, with it's non-villainous villain, it's refusal to even put on the costume until the end of Season 1, it's villainous hero in Season 2, it's murderous female leads, it's decision to permanently break up the team (something that will NEVER happen on a CW Superhero show), it's use of drugs, sex, blood and other sometimes offensive things to tell it's story. Luke Cage with a 90% Black cast, actually caused an outcry, just existing was Luke Cage's controversy, to say nothing of the religious themes, socioeconomic commentary, police brutality against minorities, and... why am I even still typing? Supergirl never comes close. Supergirl plays it safe. As it well should, because nothing in fiction is safer than putting on a Superman 'S' playing coy and smiling for the camera. And that's how we like our Supergirl. Safe. Nonthreatening. Noncontroversial.

YOU, are dead bang on target. There is nothing about any of the Netflix shows that plays it in any way, shape or form "safe" and I loved each of them. When I said I thought DC TV was somewhat better than MCU TV (cause it really is MCU), I "specifically" left out the Netflix shows. If I didn't, it wouldn't even be close.

Melissa is very cute and charming, but she is a terrible actor and, as the lead, it drags the show down.

I disagree. I wouldn't say she's a terrible actor at all. Most people who watch the show comment on her convincing acting and the reason for watching the show. She carries it and is a compelling lead. She's certainly better than any of her contemporaries in any of the other DC CW shows. The only ones who out act her are the older actors in these shows, but she more than holds her own.

And she's certainly better than anyone on Agents of SHIELD.

OK. I'll take it back. Terrible isn't the right word, but people who think her acting is "convincing" must see things very differently than I do. Cheesy or hammy ($#!t, now I'm getting hungry) are better descriptions. I roll my eyes every time I see the hands on my hips and confident, little swagger just before she gets knocked on her @$$ bit. The are much better actors in SHIELD IMO. The main reason I don't think Marvel TV is better is mainly because of how uneven SHIELD has been. At it's best, it's quite good and it's worst, it's dull beyond tears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"