The U.S. Is the World's Leader......

Just for curiosity, could you expound on this?

The most painful method of death thought possible to me, would be to have all of your skin peeled off then slowly dipped in a big tub of salt. To most people, this would be considered "cruel and unusual punishment" in violation of the 8th Amendment of the Bill of Rights.

So sad. Maybe we should just let all the serial killers, child molestors and rapists go free.

That would solve everything! :)

Or you could take a look at outdated drug laws, with marijuana in particular. Most inmates are there for drug related charges. With drugs (most if not all in my opinion) legal, controlled and taxed by the government, the amount of people going to jail over drug charges would drop dramatically and the government would make a killing financially.

Or even looking at what types of punishments are handed out for what crimes. Most drug related crimes that are punishable with incarceration should be replaced with heavy fines, and the government could garnish wages to ensure that the fines are paid. So instead of costing taxpayers money by having to house criminals, it could be used as a source of revenue.

:dry:

Well, if your for a civilized society then they don't, and it would be unconstitutional to boot.

The most painful method of death thought possible to me, would be to have all of your skin peeled off then slowly dipped in a big tub of salt. To most people, this would be considered "cruel and unusual punishment" in violation of the 8th Amendment of the Bill of Rights.

I know that. Hence why I'm saying that the death penalty isn't cruel and unusual ENOUGH. :cwink:

Or you could take a look at outdated drug laws, with marijuana in particular. Most inmates are there for drug related charges. With drugs (most if not all in my opinion) legal, controlled and taxed by the government, the amount of people going to jail over drug charges would drop dramatically and the government would make a killing financially.
very, very false.

very, very false.

No ,thats a fact. Somewhere between 20 to 23 % of convicted inmates are incarcerated for drug related charges.Thats the largest percentage of the imprisoned populations "shared" convictions.

Yeah well as I said earlier, those convicted of a certain class of cocaine and crack charges can be up for early release. The new reduction in severity was retroactive so they should be able to be released back into the public.

There's a bill in the Senate which will reduce the sentences for crack cocaine dealers and users. I don't know if it will pass, but it would probably cut back on the amount of people on prison on drug charges.

There's a bill in the Senate which will reduce the sentences for crack cocaine dealers and users. I don't know if it will pass, but it would probably cut back on the amount of people on prison on drug charges.

I just read in the paper a few days ago that some inmates were already up for early release.

Must be more than one bill.

There was always a huge discrepancy between crack and powder cocaines mandatory minimums.

Five grams of Crack will earn you five years where it would take 500 grams of powder to get the same sentence.

I just read in the paper a few days ago that some inmates were already up for early release.

Must be more than one bill.

Hmm. Maybe one bill was at the state level, and the other federal? Or maybe the Senate bill already passed?

I think I heard about it at work in January, so it's possible it may have passed and gone into law already.

.....In Incarceration that is.

According to new polls, for the first time in the history of this nation, 1 in 100 American adults are either in prison or jail. Here's the whole artcile:

Billions of dollars and what some feel is an overly oppressive system.

So what do YOU think?

Well first of all we have a very open system that doesn't really do much punishing. People are not afraid of breaking the law here like they are in a Muslim country because they are going to get a slap on the wrist comparatively speaking. You get in trouble, you do 6 months and you're back on the street (even for stuff like rape or assault). We should relax drug possession laws and drunk driving laws; and increase penalties for violent offenses such as rape and murder. Also we need to be PUNISHING violent offenders, not just giving them 3 hots and a cot for 10 years while they get their law degree and workout all day. Bring back chain gangs where they work your ass from sunup to sundown and prison wont be the attractive career choice it is now.

.....In Incarceration that is.

According to new polls, for the first time in the history of this nation, 1 in 100 American adults are either in prison or jail. Here's the whole artcile:

Billions of dollars and what some feel is an overly oppressive system.

So what do YOU think?

not being facetious...but why exactly is this a problem?

I caught this on the news the other night.Whats interesting to me is -why is this an issue now? Weve held the title of holding the largest percentage of incarcerated citizens in the entire world since way back in the 80's.

The only reason why I see its topical now is because it costs much more than ever before.
If thats the issue let me break it to you like this-It would be cheaper to send them all to college than to imprison them for 20 or 30 years.

Ya know,...Gladiator was on Cinemax the other night,...
Im just sayin, its a good movie,..

:huh: :huh: What does this have to do with the fact that those people in prison are convicted of a crime? Aren't you making a huge assumption that all those people want to go to college or would effectively use their time in college?

No ,thats a fact. Somewhere between 20 to 23 % of convicted inmates are incarcerated for drug related charges.Thats the largest percentage of the imprisoned populations "shared" convictions.

20 to 23% is not a majority of convicts, which was what Supermonkey was claiming was false.....you're arguing its the highest number under a certain categorization of offenses. that doesn't mean we should all let them go, either.

Or even looking at what types of punishments are handed out for what crimes. Most drug related crimes that are punishable with incarceration should be replaced with heavy fines, and the government could garnish wages to ensure that the fines are paid. So instead of costing taxpayers money by having to house criminals, it could be used as a source of revenue.

but what happens if the convict doesn't have the money? And what if he doesn't pay. Do we need more administrative costs to go find the people, who have done drugs and are now back in society, and make sure they pay? It's a safety issue, these people should be off the streets...

not being facetious...but why exactly is this a problem?

Heh, WHY is it a problem?

Because for the first time ever, we have a record number of citizens in prison or jail, which by default means that crime is skyrocketing. If the safety of your average joe isn't enough, it's draining our economy tremendously.

Crime is continuing to rise in America, at the most basic of levels, isn't that problem enough?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"