The Venus Project needs architects, engineers, lawyers, etc

One of many visits Fresco did in Greece, checking personal the first in the world floating unit of ecological desalination Project Research team of Aegean University professors N. Nikitakis; T. and Lilla N. Vatistas. The project was inspired by Fresco's work.

[YT]BHosWOk4ruQ[/YT]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHosWOk4ruQ

The Venus Project founders Jacque Fresco & Roxanne Meadows, after the Lecture in Athens visiting small Greek island Heraklea at desalination plant work of the Aegean University Research Team.
Research Team scientists provided a tour on a Desalination Plant explaining the construction and function features of this plant.
We would like thank them for making this trip reality and the people of Heraklea island for their hospitality.

Sounds fascinating, it reminds me a little of Masdar city from the United Arab Emirates.

As long a this doesn't become something out of a Bioshock game, could be an interesting project. Where are they looking to build his?

As long a this doesn't become something out of a Bioshock game, could be an interesting project. Where are they looking to build his?

Deep inside the northern part of the Atlantic Ocean. Oh. Whoops.

Sounds fascinating, it reminds me a little of Masdar city from the United Arab Emirates.

Yeah the difference being this will not be aimed to the rich and wealthy, instead it will be a global community where all people will have access to food, shelter and all goods for free.

I think the goal is in the beginning to create a theme park of the city model in a smaller scale, so that people from all over the world can visit and see how a money less society would be and how the automated systems would work.
Now if there are enough people who can contribute with recourses and technical knowledge the "real" city could be built anywhere as long as the land is suitable for the construction.

Ok you clearly responded to the post without taking a look at what a Recourse Based Economy stands for and what TVP vision is. Obviously I won't get fired because I won't be working for an employer. I am doing a voluntary work. People won't have to maintain or repair toilets or garbage, as it will all be automated and repaired by machines.

lol. That "human nature" thing again. You may think whatever you want. Truth is history will go its course regardless of what we think will happen. And I am sure a "utopian" society will be a natural evolution for humanity.
Yes it makes total sense to get a degree, gain work experience, go to this fantasy land, and then become the town minister when your job is no longer needed. Who doesn't think that sounds great?

Yes it makes total sense to get a degree, gain work experience, go to this fantasy land, and then become the town minister when your job is no longer needed. Who doesn't think that sounds great?

I'll say it again. No one will have to work for any employer at that "fantasy land", because the repetitious and heavy jobs will be operated by highly advanced autonomous machines. They would work only voluntarily for as much as they want just to contribute with ideas, like the people do in open source projects like Mozilla and Linux. There will be no ministers, presidents, mayors etc. Just people doing what they love without being stressed to work for a living and waste their precious years. Yep, this sounds great indeed.

That will never exist.

lol.
Now what does this phrase remind me? Oh yeah the glorious days of humanity where the future it seemed would be stuck forever into the Dark Ages, or when the Black People and women didn't have basic human rights. Or that man will never fly or go to space. All of those things seemed a common belief and impossible to change. Yet they changed. Yep...I am sure things like a Recourse Based Economy will never exist. Whatever you say dude :rolleyes:

lol.
Now what does this phrase remind me? Oh yeah the glorious days of humanity where the future it seemed would be stuck forever into the Dark Ages, or when the Black People and women didn't have basic human rights. Or that man will never fly or go to space. All of those things seemed a common belief and impossible to change. Yet they changed. Yep...I am sure things like a Recourse Based Economy will never exist. Whatever you say dude :rolleyes:

Forgive me friend, but like every single passionate believer it sounds like you, and those in this movement you admire cannot fathom the possibility that there are limitations to what you believe in. I am, I guess the term would be, Atheist Materialist. The materialist part is not about consumer culture. It just means I am a firm believer in science and reject the supernatural. But, I know that for the human animal that explanation will most likely never be enough to base a society around. I know it's not a world view that lends itself to motivating individuals or groups to great action, and I can even see how it could be a gateway to destructive nihilism. In other words, as vexing as it is to me, I understand the limitations of my own world view. The paradox, of course, is that it is only by accepting the limitations in all things that we will ever approach unlimitedness, if you will. If more philosophies, religions, political movements and yes, even individuals accepted that THERE ARE LIMITS to all things sans the universe itself (and even that could be contested by many a scientist and philosopher, and a few artists) then the human race would have been saved a whole lot of pain and suffering. (Of course we would have pain and suffering anyway, I am aware of the limitations of my own position.:cwink:) I am not saying you may not have totally valid points in your outlook, or that it is possible to "run the world" according to your beliefs, but I must ask you, have you truly thought of where your thinking may fall short? Are there perhaps gigantic blind spots, or shortcomings that you dismiss because you simply don't want to believe they exist?

Welp... That's all I have to say about that. So just a little reminder: YOU ARE A CHILD OF THE UNIVERSE NO LESS THAN THE TREES.

NAMASTE.

So instead of taking a look into the links that I wasted my time to provide, instead you post a sarcastic video with a pointless subject. :dry:
Whatever.

There's 3 separate guys commenting who have not read up on what this is about, which is fairly inexcusable since I posted a link to the Venus Project site in the first post.

Some people are proud of their ignorance. There's no talking with such people.

There is of course legitimate questions on how this can be achieved, and that can be a good and fruitful discussion.

But to sit back and say it can never happen? Considering how far humanity has come along technologically in such a short space of time? The level of comfort and health we enjoy today would have been unimaginable to our ancestors, even from just a few hundred years ago. The "it can never happen" attitude is mindless and unsupported, especially coming from people that haven't taken the time to actually look at the project and what it entails. It's mindless cynicism, and actually quite an insulting level of stupidity. No Picard facepalm is good enough for people who's online personas are indistinguishable from stupidity and trolling, and such people aren't worth your time.

Last edited:
Forgive me friend, but like every single passionate believer it sounds like you, and those in this movement you admire cannot fathom the possibility that there are limitations to what you believe in. I am, I guess the term would be, Atheist Materialist. The materialist part is not about consumer culture. It just means I am a firm believer in science and reject the supernatural. But, I know that for the human animal that explanation will most likely never be enough to base a society around. I know it's not a world view that lends itself to motivating individuals or groups to great action, and I can even see how it could be a gateway to destructive nihilism. In other words, as vexing as it is to me, I understand the limitations of my own world view. The paradox, of course, is that it is only by accepting the limitations in all things that we will ever approach unlimitedness, if you will. If more philosophies, religions, political movements and yes, even individuals accepted that THERE ARE LIMITS to all things sans the universe itself (and even that could be contested by many a scientist and philosopher, and a few artists) then the human race would have been saved a whole lot of pain and suffering. (Of course we would have pain and suffering anyway, I am aware of the limitations of my own position.:cwink:) I am not saying you may not have totally valid points in your outlook, or that it is possible to "run the world" according to your beliefs, but I must ask you, have you truly thought of where your thinking may fall short? Are there perhaps gigantic blind spots, or shortcomings that you dismiss because you simply don't want to believe they exist?

Welp... That's all I have to say about that. So just a little reminder: YOU ARE A CHILD OF THE UNIVERSE NO LESS THAN THE TREES.

NAMASTE.

Regarding the bold parts, do you refer to the shortcomings that the project itself might have, or the external barriers that might stand in the way of it becoming a reality? Because TVP is absolutely clear and has all the answers for almost 60 years now, as it was conceived by young Fresco.

Some of you people think that we are members of a "cult" lol. And that we seek to overthrow governments or start a revolution to make TVP a reality. Let's be realistic here. No revolution will be needed. It will all come into place in time. Currently we are in a point where production of goods is in highest it has ever been and the purchasing power of the people is little. Meanwhile, little communities and eco-villages are growing steadily, being autonomous in food and water.

Add to these facts that the concept of politics and the monetary establishment are very low in popularity. With these things in mind, it is certain that we will arrive in a Recourse Based Economy, just like the Enlightenment came after the Dark Ages. Make no mistake now we are living in a "Technological Dark Age".

I think the fact that you state something that you believe "has ALL the answers" says a lot about your thinking and world view.

As a position it does not lend itself well to any kind of democratic debate or dialog on any issue, now does it? (That isn't SNARK, btw) Such a position does not make bringing people over to some kind of agreement with you very likely as well. To make your goals a reality in some way you will need to convince mass amounts of individuals. I can't say an outlook of "We have all the answers" is optimal for your goals.

As an individual being alive these 37 years in planet Earth I tend to be wary of ANY philosophy that claims it has ALL the answers. All things have limitations. Especially the things that spring from the mind of man himself. You can be dismissive of this stance, but for myself it's a key to discerning the difference between knowledge and wisdom. Anything/anyone that makes a claim to ALL answers does not sound wise to my ears.

I'm not sure that that's what he's saying.

Myself, I can see some short comings in the Venus Project, but I agree with their principles, I think some of the goals could be achievable, and I think it would be much, much better than the way things currently are now.

Money poisons everything. That sounds quite hyberbolic, but when you really think about it, is there any big problem in today's society that ultimately isn't about greed and power?

Money has corrupted government almost completely. Lobbyists donate many millions to politicians so that politicians will back whatever position the lobbyists want. Everything from weapons manufacturers to banks to pharmaceutical companies. In turn, this means government will spend billions on contracts with the big weapons manufacturers in times of war (which conveniently seems abundant), that pharmaceutical companies get to keep drugs that are better than their drugs out of the market, and banks get away with betting and losing the public's money. Why do companies make sub-standard equipment that breaks down? So you'll have to buy more. Why do news organizations run Miley Cyrus twerking as their big headline on their website rather than informing the public on the actual important topics of the world? Because running the Miley Cyrus story will generate more advertisement revenue.

Why do people steal? Most of the time because of scarcity. Why are people starving and dying of curable diseases in the third world? Scarcity, lack of education. Why should it be this way when in reality there is plenty to go around?

The wars in the Middle East (according to this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ORB_survey_of_Iraq_War_casualties - the casualties in Iraq are over 1 million) are about controlling resources. It isn't any coincidence that there are billions at stake in the control of oil pipelines in Syria as the war rhetoric picks up ( http://www.theguardian.com/environm...ack-war-intervention-oil-gas-energy-pipelines ), its entirely naive to believe the US engages in what is essentially imperialism out of some sense of doing good for the civilians on the ground. Ultimately its about getting rich! Look at how transparent the excuses are of the Obama administration. They claim its common sense that Assad used chemical weapons, though Assad would have nothing to gain from doing so, and even though there are reports that the rebels have used sarin in the recent past. They claim to have evidence but won't present this evidence, Putin has called their bluff, asking them to present this evidence to the UN security council. The UN inspectors haven't even finished examining the evidence, so what evidence could the US possibly have? And the US and UK have been funding the rebels and giving them weapons the last few years, some of the rebels aren't even from Syria but from elsewhere, like Saudi Arabia, and the rebels have known connections to Al Queda. In the face of all of this information, that the US is so keen to attack Assad and destabalize the secular government there, is it really out of concern for the people of Syria? Who is naive enough to believe that?

There needs to be radical changes to our way of thinking about things. Our biggest obstacle is all of these moneyed interests. One day, it may inevitably all collapse in on itself, at which point other people can step in and establish a society that shares resources and does not have the moneyed interests in the way of building cities that run on clean energy, a society in which there is plenty for everyone, that are built intelligently and in which all of the manual labour is automated, in which people are truly free, instead of constantly being indebted to the government if they want a decent standard of higher education or if they want the basics of what it takes to live.

Last edited:
I think the fact that you state something that you believe "has ALL the answers" says a lot about your thinking and world view.

As a position it does not lend itself well to any kind of democratic debate or dialog on any issue, now does it? (That isn't SNARK, btw) Such a position does not make bringing people over to some kind of agreement with you very likely as well. To make your goals a reality in some way you will need to convince mass amounts of individuals. I can't say an outlook of "We have all the answers" is optimal for your goals.

As an individual being alive these 37 years in planet Earth I tend to be wary of ANY philosophy that claims it has ALL the answers. All things have limitations. Especially the things that spring from the mind of man himself. You can be dismissive of this stance, but for myself it's a key to discerning the difference between knowledge and wisdom. Anything/anyone that makes a claim to ALL answers does not sound wise to my ears.

Ok you misanderstood my words. I didn't meant it in a "follower's" way. I meant it literally. There's a FAQ with 100 answers to all the possible questions and doubts that people might have. Add to that the long year commitment and thorough study for 60 years on the technical aspects of the project from food production to the automated systems operation that Fresco has done and you have a very solid evidence of what's this all about and the strong chances it has to work. When I am on a PC I will send you the link to the faq

Last edited:
Ah, so you are right but it's about the same thing so the other half still stands.

This sounds like what was imagined in Gene Rodenberry's Star Trek. (Not J.J. Abrams' Star Trek.) It's very idealistic but it will take centuries to make work.

This sounds like what was imagined in Gene Rodenberry's Star Trek. (Not J.J. Abrams' Star Trek.) It's very idealistic but it will take centuries to make work.

Yes they have many similarities :). But actually Fresco started conceiving these ideas during the 30's depression when he was a student and made a lab in his bedroom and he started studying science and learned about the scientific method and how it could be applied with social concern to elevate humanity.

Once he said somewhere that his grandfather influenced him also towards these ideas in the 20's. He was a very progressive man for his times and raised young Fresco with ideals that had to do with humanity as a whole instead of just the country he was born in.

[YT]K_GKN1tcwd8[/YT]

I don't know how long it will take, I just know it is mathematical certain it will happen someday. As more automation replaces people from jobs, the less purchasing power there is and the market will brake. It has already started. The whole planet is in debt.

Last edited:
Jacque Fresco - Introduction to Sociocyberneering - Larry King (1974)
[YT]lBIdk-fgCeQ[/YT]

Jacque Fresco Understanding Human Behavior
[YT]4qlgzTlAvOo[/YT]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"