The Voice of Doom

Yodaman

Legend
Reaction score
This thread may have been done before but I've never seen one so I'll make it. When you read Fantastic Four, what kind of voice do you imagine Dr. Doom? I've only seen the movie (never any of the TV shows) and I hated how they did his voice so none of the media has influenced how I percieve Doom. I always thought of him having this very deep, slightly robotic voice. I know he just wears a mask but he freakin' look like a robot and I think it just sounds a lot cooler. What do you guys think? How does Doom sound to you?

I don't hear a robot at all, I hear a very austere (but when it suits him he can sound sympathetic to his people), well-groomed, but deep voice. Very majestic and Regal, with a slight Eastern European (royal) accent.

That guy doing the voice work for Ultimate Alliance has got it down. I like that.

:doom: :doom: :doom:

Masculine and deep, maybe some echo or slight electronic effect thrown in.
You know, the exact opposite of what they perpetrated upon us in the movie with "Liberace-Doom."

Did you ever see the FF cartoon from the mid to late 90's...2nd season? I thought that was the perfect voice of Doom. No longer recall the name of the actor that did the voice over. It was very cultured, deep and resonant with an air of confident superiority and a slight european accent.

MichaelRGrimm said:
Did you ever see the FF cartoon from the mid to late 90's...2nd season? I thought that was the perfect voice of Doom. No longer recall the name of the actor that did the voice over. It was very cultured, deep and resonant with an air of confident superiority and a slight european accent.

I could be totally wrong, and Iron Maiden will correct me if I'm worng, but I think she said at one point that that guy died not too terribly long ago.

Malus said:
Masculine and deep, maybe some echo or slight electronic effect thrown in.
You know, the exact opposite of what they perpetrated upon us in the movie with "Liberace-Doom."

LMAO...."Liberace-Doom".....thats funny!

JMAfan said:
I could be totally wrong, and Iron Maiden will correct me if I'm worng, but I think she said at one point that that guy died not too terribly long ago.

Sorry, I can't recall who it was either. The IMDB listing for the Fantastic Four Marvel Action Hour from 1994 lists an actor named Simon Templeman, who in a strange coinky dink had a small recurring role on "Charmed" as the Angel of Death. He did appear in one episode when Julian McMahon was in the cast but I think all his scenes where with Prue (Shannon Doherty). Truthfully, I thought his voice was a bit over the top if it is the same guy who did the one with Daredevil and the FF, which is included as a bonus extra on a Spiderman/Davedevil DVD I have.

I really disagree with those who want a deep voice - - to me it's a case of "been there, done that" with James Earl Jones as the voice actor for Darth Vader. Jeremy Irons would have the right kind of voice but physically I don't see him in the part. There's an actor that is better known for his role as Commander Dreyfuss, the original Inspector Clousseau's boss from the Peter Sellers films, that I thought had the right voice. His name is Herbert Lom and he's done mostly British films but he was born in Czechoslovakia. So his voice has this accent that you can't quite call entirely British nor Slavic. He also did a few turns as a villain in "El Cid" with Charlton Heston -- ironically you never saw his face because his part as a Moor only showed his eyes beneath the bernoose. He also did a few Hammer Horror films (again masked in Hammer's "Phantom of the Opera"!) and played Captain Nemo.

Here is a tribute page on his career as a character actor.http://www.movieactors.com/characters/lom.htm

Christopher Lee crossed with Vincent Price with a slight european accent.

Iron Maiden said:
Sorry, I can't recall who it was either. The IMDB listing for the Fantastic Four Marvel Action Hour from 1994 lists an actor named Simon Templeman, who in a strange coinky dink had a small recurring role on "Charmed" as the Angel of Death. He did appear in one episode when Julian McMahon was in the cast but I think all his scenes where with Prue (Shannon Doherty). Truthfully, I thought his voice was a bit over the top if it is the same guy who did the one with Daredevil and the FF, which is included as a bonus extra on a Spiderman/Davedevil DVD I have.

I really disagree with those who want a deep voice - - to me it's a case of "been there, done that" with James Earl Jones as the voice actor for Darth Vader. Jeremy Irons would have the right kind of voice but physically I don't see him in the part. There's an actor that is better known for his role as Commander Dreyfuss, the original Inspector Clousseau's boss from the Peter Sellers films, that I thought had the right voice. His name is Herbert Lom and he's done mostly British films but he was born in Czechoslovakia. So his voice has this accent that you can't quite call entirely British nor Slavic. He also did a few turns as a villain in "El Cid" with Charlton Heston -- ironically you never saw his face because his part as a Moor only showed his eyes beneath the bernoose. He also did a few Hammer Horror films (again masked in Hammer's "Phantom of the Opera"!) and played Captain Nemo.

Here is a tribute page on his career as a character actor.http://www.movieactors.com/characters/lom.htm

Yep, I think Templeman is the guy I am thinking of, IM Defintiely the one in the Daredevil/FF animated team up. I really liked his voice and loved the fact they did not dumb his vocabulary down for the younger audiences. His dialogue had a fine flair for the dramatic. One line of many that stand out from the animated show "As they now go, to join the choir eternal." As Doom pushes the button that detonates the island the FF are trapped on. Loved it! Too many writers today don't attmept to send a kid scramblin for a dictionary or have a sense for the dramatic in dialogue or even literary proper grammer for characters of Doom and Reed's intellect. I miss it.

Oh yeah, and Lom's voice...not a bad thought at all. I liked darthdavebanner's idea about Christopher Lee/Vincent Price mix, too. I can imagine that working for someone of Doom's magnificence.

MichaelRGrimm said:
Yep, I think Templeman is the guy I am thinking of, IM Defintiely the one in the Daredevil/FF animated team up. I really liked his voice and loved the fact they did not dumb his vocabulary down for the younger audiences. His dialogue had a fine flair for the dramatic. One line of many that stand out from the animated show "As they now go, to join the choir eternal." As Doom pushes the button that detonates the island the FF are trapped on. Loved it! Too many writers today don't attmept to send a kid scramblin for a dictionary or have a sense for the dramatic in dialogue or even literary proper grammer for characters of Doom and Reed's intellect. I miss it.

Other great quotes:

Sue: This is pretty uninspired...the big bad Doctor Doom kidnapping me just to lure us to your wretched island.

Doom: Yes, I am so sorry for the time worn damsel in distress cliche Mrs. Richards...I feel the only thing missing is the on rushing train. However, sometimes expediency outweighs originality. Now, with your permission.

Doom: As future emperor of the world, I require a castle befitting my status.

Silver Surfer: You, most evil of all who dwell upon this world...you shall pay for your colossal conceit. The power you've stolen from me is too vast, too universal, if wielded wrong, it could destroy a galaxy.

Doom: Your concern is touching, you unearthly clod. You, who refuse to wield your cosmic powers correctly. I, on the other hand, shall use them to enslave a planet and after perhaps a universe as well.

Doom...is there anyone else like him? I think not....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"