The Wachowskis' Ninja Assassin

James McTeigue is having a blast directing Ninja Assassin. Says its going to be an old school Hong Kong influenced fight fest whilst keeping with the traditional Japanese style.

- Looking to be a R rated movie with no exceptions being made to the integrity of choreography prepped by David Leitch and Chad Stahelski with insight on behalf of fight consultant Yuen Woo-ping.

- The Wachowski's are involved with blocking all the complex fight scenes with James taking lead on dialogue related scenes.

source:http://www.latinoreview.com/news/updated-keanu-reeves-as-plastic-man-whoa-5001

i hope that the budget is around 60 and 80 milions .more then 100 milions means a disaster. this is not the matrix.

i hope that the budget is around 60 and 80 milions .more then 100 milions means a disaster. this is not the matrix.

Naah , i'm guessing the budget will be around 80 million MAX. Heck the first matrix movie cost 65 million and it did have it's fair share of VFX shots.
And i'm so happy that the Wachowski's are handling the action scenes.
David Leitch was the stunt double of hugo weaving matrix reloaded and revolutions as well as one of the dudes neo was fighting in the chateau fight. Chad Stahelski is has been keanu;'s stunt double . He was also the head guy for all the stunts. Both these guys know their stuff and have worked with the Wachowski's on all their projects.

i hope the budget is small becauase of the R raating

I'm thinking none of you know who Bi(Rain) is, outside of "Speedracer". :dry:

Edit: Okay... I'm sure ya'll kinda do... but seriously. After watching his music video's... I could never take Bi seriously in a film. That's why I never watched SR. He's hot as **** though... :up:

That's an interesting point, but he is not overstaturated in US / European markets. People won't be like they put Rain in this? Like they would if it was some American pop star. I just think if dude can dance like that he'll be pretty good at choreographed fights. And he has a sense of humor too http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index.jhtml?videoId=156555

From Entertainment Weekly.

2hxllza.jpg

That's awesome. :up: I can't wait to see a trailer.

I love Se7en more, but I can't deny Bi's hottness.

But for serious...

I might check this out. Any news on a release date?

This movie seriously needs a trailer ASAP. Can't wait to see some limbs flying around.

source:http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/comic-con/?p=53

Ninja Assassin Panel Coverage

Big balls action flick producer Joel Silver and a ninja movie, what’s not to like? Exactly. Nothing. Silver introduced the Ninja Assassin footage as something thrown together quickly since it wrapped a few weeks ago. Please don’t tell anyone outside of Comic Con, Silver pleaded. Joking? Who knows? Not like we’d comply anyways.

No worries. The film looks fun as all hell. And the footage provided made for a solid red-band teaser. Oh yes, there will be ludicrous amounts of blood.

It didn’t give any real sense of story (and who cares if it even has one when it’s got freakin’ ninjas). But it did roll out tid-bits involving ninja kids beat the crap out of one another, dozens of ninjas descending from the ceiling on a group of heavily armed individuals, laundry-mat sword fighting, slo-mo everything, flaming balls as room deco, car versus ninjas (looks like a draw), and a vicious face on urinal bashing.

Oh and apparently a shirtless Rain does hand-stand push-ups at some point in the movie. From the non-stop whistling and screaming, I’m guessing chicks dig Rain.

Ninja Assassins will bloody up the screen and make the Rain lovin’ girls faint early next year.

That footage sounds great, I doubt anyone cammed it but hopefully we get a red band trailer soon.

i guess they have enough to release a trailer soon...

http://www.latinoreview.com/news/comic-con-interview-the-cast-on-ninja-assassin-5073

Comic Con Interview: The Cast On Ninja Assassin

By Chris “El Guero” Mora on July 25, 2008

Hey Party people “El Guero” here with the brilliant Director James McTeguie along with a couple of the co-stars of his new film Ninja Assassin. Ji Hoon Jung is making his US debut in this film and talk about his training for the film. Naomi Harris joins and fills us in on what it was like to be a part of this action packed project enjoy…

McTeigue: Original story. We were talking about doing it when we were making "Speed Racer" over the summer. And we had like a small martial arts component to that. Rain was in that. We'd been talking about making a ninja movie for some years and then it seemed like it would be a good time to do it with Rain and then root the story in something that had good narrative and good character development, which is where Naomie came in because there's a great female character in the film as well.

Rain, will you talk a little about your character? And why you were attracted to this?

Rain: Yeah. "Ninja Assassin" is a big martial arts film and my role is Raizo who's an orphan growing up as a ninja assassin. I love my character. He's a very nice guy. [LAUGHS]

What makes you say nice if he's an assassin?

Rain: I helped too many people, you know and then I killed too many ninja and you know it was my good experience and yeah, I love my character.

Can we talk about your character a little bit. We saw her a little bit in the trailer.

Harris: Well Mika Coretti is the name of my character and she's a forensic researcher and she has this obsession with ninjas because she happens upon a piece of evidence that to her proves that ninjas exist whereby everybody else believes that they don't. And so she continues with this obsession until actually her fantasy world becomes real and she becomes sucked into an adventure with Rain's character.

What led you to take this?

Harris: What led me to take the role? [?] reasons really, working with James. I didn't know how fabulous that was going to be until I started the movie. But it was the script really. It was just a great character and it was well rounded and like I said before it's like action movies generally are just based normally just on action and without central characters that you really care about and can go on a journey with, they mean nothing. That's for you. [LAUGHS] That's for my review. I thought it was so cheap to get a good review, come on. He liked me? Give me the cake back. No, sorry, yeah, so it's just about an action movie basically where there are really rounded central characters and also characters with great relationships between each other I think makes a really superb action movie because you actually care about the journey that the characters are going on. And it's not just meaningless violence. It actually means something and it's going somewhere. Yeah.

Pretty good. [LAUGHS] How much physical preparation was involved?

Harris: For me, very little at all, which was great. But for Rain like four months of every day six days a week, twelve hour days?

Rain: Yeah.

Harris: Yeah.

What sort of training was involved specifically?

Rain: I learned you know I have a lot of you know teachers, I learned you know these techniques in Taekwondo, Korean martial arts, yeah. You know every time you know every day I throw up. [LAUGHS] It was really hard. You know it almost killed me.

Harris: He's not lying about the throwing up because I had one session where they worked me out you know to kind of just know what Rain was going through every day and I actually physically threw up in the toilet. It's so intense. Like he went through a lot.

McTeigue: He did amazing discipline work, you know he was taught with like, you know it was really hard to get someone to fight like with two swords. He can do that extraordinarily well. We had like a blade and chain thing, which is really kind of complicated to throw around and besides the other martial arts aspects he did versions of [?] you know like free running and you know conquered it really well. You know I've done a lot of martial arts over the years with a lot of different actors and he was pretty extraordinary at it. And to see his transformation from the guy who used to drink beer and eat chocolate to you know [?] came up to me one day and said Rain's just got one question for you and I said, what's that? I thought it was going to be like some sort of serious you know question. He goes when can I eat chocolate again? [LAUGHS]

Rain: From the moment you know I'd been controlling my mind and menu with you know chicken breasts and vegetables. Yeah. I never work out again. [LAUGHS]

Now you're back on the chocolate are you?

Rain: Yeah. Every day.

Even with the throwing up, didn't it feel awesome to do what you could do after that?

Rain: Very shame. You know it's you know so horrible. Yeah.

McTeigue: I think you're right, it's kind of like addictive though, too. I think it's like at the point that you get into, you know not to talk foreign, but I could see at the point you know you get into that zone with your body, you just don't want to let anything invade it that's going to let you down you know because like at some point for three months or for four months or six months, he was still kind of you know trying to be in the zone. It is a pretty amazing transformation.

Rain, how different are the Comic Con fans to your regular music fans?

Rain: Okay, I speak Korean a little bit. [KOREAN]

Translator: To me, the music fans and the movie fans are the same. That's to say I like both. I think it's important to harbor them both.

Do you find Comic Con really crazy? Have you been here before?

Rain: It's my first time.

How is it for you?

Rain: It's exciting. Yeah. Yeah.

Was it strange having 6000 people during the panel.

Rain: Always for me, sometimes screen, sometimes you know I love my fans and yeah. They are my everything.

How has it been for you coming to ComicCon with this movie?

McTeigue: It's good, you know. I mean it's great to--

Your first time?

McTeigue: Yeah, it's the first time. I wasn't here on "V" because we were doing scoring in London at the time so I couldn't make it out. But a lot of my friends are you know graphic artists and comic book guys and so they've told me about it over the years. But you know it's great just to come to somewhere that's completely fan-based, you know. Like you really kind of get like an amazing sense of what people love, what they like, what they don't like you know, what they're interested in. It's a pretty good forum to bring a film to, actually.

James, your last film was very much billed as a vision from the Wachowski brothers. Is this much more a James McTeigue vision?

McTeigue: Yeah, well you know I guess that's the way the last one was promoted I guess, which you know I understand. No, "V" was my film. This is my film. You know it's what I was interested in, it's what I wanted to do. Yeah you know it was a good film to make. There's a lot of elements that I was really interested in this film like Naomie was saying. You know I really like strong female characters and Naomie's character in the film is a strong female character. I think it's probably you know what attracted her to it in the first place. And then you know with Rain there was a good you know martial arts component. And it was about melding those two together, you know bringing like a different form of film in the market, I guess.

What attracted you to filmmaking in the first place?

McTeigue: I guess my father was obsessed by films. You know layman obsessed by that I guess. He grew up with the golden era of Hollywood I guess and he sort of imbued that into me and my brothers. And once I went to University, then I started like I did a film major there, then I started working in film almost--

Where did you go?

McTeigue: In Sydney, Australia.

Could you talk about Sho Kosugi's involvement. If you're doing a ninja film, he's pretty much the guy to go to. How did he get involved?

McTeigue: He got involved because I thought it would be you know a good homage. You know he was in so many of those films. But if you talk to him he'll tell you he was only in like three, but he's forever known as being in ninja films. And I just wondered where he was, you know wondered what he was up to these days. And he went off and formed some martial arts schools in America and Japan so he hadn't been in movies for a while. And I thought it would be good if he was like the clan master. He'd be a good kind of homage back to the ninja films of the past. So yeah, we rang him up and we asked him actually. [LAUGHS] He came in, screen tested, thought he was good so we put him in the film. Yeah.

What's next?

Rain: Next project? I don't know yet, but I wish my next film would be love story with James with Naomie.

Harris: And no action.

Rain: Take me!

There can be action but not that kind of action.

McTeigue: The next film he's in is called Ninja Lover. [LAUGHS]

Rain: Nice.

Harris: I want to see that one.

Rain: With sword and chain.

McTeigue: Sword and chain under the bed.

Rain: It's new stuff.

Harris: That sounds really interesting.

FirstShowing.net Alex Billington
http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/07/26/comic-con-08-first-look-at-james-mcteigues-ninja-assassin/

James McTeigue describes what I saw best: a combination of anime and horror with ninjas, lots and lots of ninjas. This looks like the greatest mainstream ninja movie that anyone might ever see. If you're a fan of ninjas, even in the slightest, then you're going to instantly be a fanatic of this. It starts out with a boy growing up in a small village learning the ways of ninjas and eventually leads to his revenge later on. There wasn't much of a story (or any dialogue) in the trailer, but that didn't matter – the action kicked ass.

This also looked incredibly R rated. Every time someone would smoothly slice a blade across someone else, the blood flowed freely. This where the horror element came into play, because it was incredibly bloody but not exactly in a horrific sense – stylized instead. McTeigue is a filmmaker who definitely attempts to push the limits and he did it with V for Vendetta and he's about to do it again with Ninja Assassin. There was not just one ninja – there were multiples, flying in from everywhere, slicing up people left and right. There were scenes in the middle of a road where ninjas were leaping over cars, scenes with ninjas hiding in the roof waiting to attack a SWAT team, and even one of the best fight scenes in a bathroom I've ever seen!

Although this movie certainly won't be for everyone, I hope a lot of people still at least give it a chance. Ninja Assassin might just be the first awesome ninja movie we'll see and thus it's something no one should miss. I was expecting the footage to kick ass and it did - and that's actually quite rare at Comic-Con. Ninja Assassin is tentatively set for release on January 16th, 2009 from Warner Brothers so stay tuned!

IESB interviews James McTeigue, Rain
http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_ezine&task=read&page=2&category=16&article=5268

i need to see that footage!...

if the wolverine footage could leak online so could this lol

Yup, looking forward to this.

Having watched the Octagon the other day and being a fan of American Ninja, Sakura Killers, the Last Ninja etc when I was a kid - a big budget ninja movie full of fantastic set pieces sounds great.

Even better when you read that it's not going to skimp on the gore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"