Theater Owners Seek New Rules About Trailer Length

kvz5

HBIC
Staff member
Reaction score
I think this warrants a thread for discussion... New rules that they're proposing are shortening the trailers to 2 mins and studios can't market a movie until 4 months before its release. Good idea or bad idea?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/theater-owners-seek-new-rules-559164

Theater Owners Seek New Rules Shortening Movie Trailers (Exclusive)

Studios are none too happy about the proposed guidelines, which are designed to give exhibitors more of a direct say in how movies are advertised in their cinemas.

In a controversial move, the National Association of Theater Owners is pushing for new marketing rules that include limiting the length of a movie trailer to two minutes -- 30 seconds shorter than is the norm.

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that NATO's executive board came up with the proposed new guidelines in an effort to give exhibitors more control over how Hollywood movies are marketed inside of their cinemas. Theater owners, who feel the brunt of complaints from the public, believe trailers are often too long and can give away too much of the plot.

It's not uncommon for many circuits to play seven or eight trailers before a film. That translates to 17.5 minutes to 20 minutes, on top of in-house advertising. Exhibitors believe the new rule could boost ticket sales by making the theatergoing experience more attractive.

Hollywood studios -- which rely heavily on trailers to woo moviegoers -- refute the notion that 2.5 minutes is too long. Sources say they have reacted none too well when briefed on NATO's plan in recent days. NATO's executive board wanted to get the reaction of studios before taking further action.

Together, television advertising and in-theater trailers are considered the most potent weapons in marketing a movie, even as the Internet made trailers ubiquitous. "My trailers are 2.5 minutes because that's what we need to send the right message. This could be a paradigm shift. Thirty seconds is a long time," says one studio executive who asked not to be named.

NATO declined to comment.

Studios currently abide by voluntary marketing guidelines set forth by the MPAA restricting a trailer to 2.5 minutes. Each company is granted one exception a year (as an example, one theatrical trailer for Man of Steel runs three minutes).

Other NATO marketing rules being considered: Movies couldn't be marketed until four months before their release, including trailer play, although there would be exceptions (studios often tease their big tentpoles months in advance). Also, a film's release date would be required on all marketing materials.

Although the guidelines would be voluntary, studios fear that an exhibitor could cite the new policy in refusing to play a trailer that is longer than two minutes. They also worry that some theater owners will respond to the shorter time by simply running more trailers, many of which studios pay exhibitors to play.

"You can't have one rule that applies to all films, because each film is different in how it needs to be marketed," says another veteran film distributor.

Last edited:
The reasons are valid.

It is time to usher in a new era of trailer editing: I do not like seeing an entire film in 2.5 minutes. My favorite type of teaser/trailers are along the lines of what Kubrick shot for The Shining.

I'm all for it. Trailers for movies that are driven by plot alone essentially show you the short version, hoping you'll come back in four months and watch the extended cut.

Seems ok with me. I enjoy trailers before films but they don't have to be so long.

I can remember the old Titanic trailer that was over 5 minutes.

I went to see Star Trek Into Darkness and it was well past 20 minutes before the actual movie itself came on after it's posted time. There are too many and too long trailers for movies these days. I like trailers but they are becoming more and more a nuisance.

I wonder if it's not the length of the trailers, but the number of them attached to a film.

I go to Regal - there's five to six two-minute trailers attached or 12-15 minutes.

HOWEVER

I go to Dipson - there's two to three two-minute trailers attached for the same EXACT movie 6-9 minutes.

MAJOR difference.

So part of me has to wonder, is the nuisance not the way studios are runnings things - but the way theaters are? And if the trailers become shorter, would these same theaters just add another film to their roster of trailers attached to a certain film? I'd rather, if possible, have more theaters do what Dipson does than for restrictions to be placed on the film studios. And because of that observable difference, I do have to question if this isn't the theater's policy fault. The best way to do this, I think, is to follow what theaters like Dipson does - fewer trailers, and have the trailers more specifically geared towards that film's prime demographic. Sometimes I see a horror film and see a romantic comedy trailer attached, an extreme example but it does feel like there is no thought on what trailers to show before a film. And making it more exact and decreasing the number of trailers shown does seem to be the optimal route to go in. Or maybe that's not economically feasible, I don't know, it's just what I would like to see.

Same running time, but less trailers and ones that are better directed at the audience at hand rather than a grab-all bag.

Last edited:
Half the time I can't remember what movie I'm there to see because they play so many damn trailers. I'd say five is the limit and no more commercials. If they are going to show commercials it needs to be before the start time.

Trailer editing has gotten so good over the last 15-odd years that I'm sure a movie could be sold just as well in 2 minutes as in 2.5. Plus, these days we're shown too much as it is. I'm fine with shortening the length.

Not sure how I feel about this, trailers are a big part of my theater going experience and it's something I always look forward to.

I dont care either way, I like the trailers and have never , ever, complained about the length.

I wonder if it's not the length of the trailers, but the number of them attached to a film.

I go to Regal - there's five to six two-minute trailers attached or 12-15 minutes.

HOWEVER

I go to Dipson - there's two to three two-minute trailers attached for the same EXACT movie 6-9 minutes.

MAJOR difference.

So part of me has to wonder, is the nuisance not the way studios are runnings things - but the way theaters are? And if the trailers become shorter, would these same theaters just add another film to their roster of trailers attached to a certain film? I'd rather, if possible, have more theaters do what Dipson does than for restrictions to be placed on the film studios. And because of that observable difference, I do have to question if this isn't the theater's policy fault. The best way to do this, I think, is to follow what theaters like Dipson does - fewer trailers, and have the trailers more specifically geared towards that film's prime demographic. Sometimes I see a horror film and see a romantic comedy trailer attached, an extreme example but it does feel like there is no thought on what trailers to show before a film. And making it more exact and decreasing the number of trailers shown does seem to be the optimal route to go in. Or maybe that's not economically feasible, I don't know, it's just what I would like to see.

Same running time, but less trailers and ones that are better directed at the audience at hand rather than a grab-all bag.

I agree 100%. Whenever I go to a Regal theater, they always show 15+ minutes of trailers (especially before a tentpole). AMC theaters show about the same. Whenever I go to a Movieland theater, they show three trailers then the film starts. The length of the trailers are irrelevant. It's the amount of trailers the theater decides to show that is the problem. Maybe why Movieland shows fewer trailers is because it's a smaller chain? Who knows? But they are doing it right.

With that said, trailers are a staple of the theater experience (especially when they are tentpole films). However, I can see why 20 minutes of trailers can be aggravating.

I do like the trailers but the length and the numbers just pile up the time. If they can reduce one or both it would be a nicer experience. It's like candy. Get too much and it'll sour your stomach.

I enjoy trailers honestly what pisses me off though is when they play actual commercials that you see on tv in the theatre.

I say first teaser a year - 6 months, full trailer 4 months out.

"Movies couldn't be marketed until four months before their release dates"

Yeah good luck with that **** lol. I'm opposed to all this. Leave it the way it is.

I'm fine with the 2 minute thing. I don't really mind the length either way. But the 4 month rule....no. Just imagine if the MOS teaser attached to TDKR came out in February.

I'd tell the theater chains to shove it honestly. I do agree about trailer length, but they're worried about how many showings they can get into a day, not about ruining the movie like I am. The events of the last year have really turned me against movie theaters.

I propose that trailers for Tyler Perry movies should only be attached to other Tyler Perry movies.

i sometimes get car commercials or something similar. thats a bigger problem. trailers are around 5-7 minutes.

I am for this idea.

I am only human and can't keep myself from watching trailers, but the shorter they are the less chance of spoiling anything from the movie itself.

NO NO NO NO NO

BAD and STUPID!!! I don't get why some of people don't like trailers (Length doesn't matter). Without trailers how do you get excited about any movies???
Leave it the way it is!!! The public, Ugh! Always have something to complain about. :/

If anyone doesn't want to sit thru all the trailers, arrive late, then. I love trailers, but if any doesn't interest me, I will just get on my cellphone. NO frigging big deal!

I say with the trailers you still basically have the FREEDOM to do whatever you want- Come late, talk, using cellphone... until the movie starts... Fair? Please do that, so those of us DO want watch trailers are not effected by this stupid rule.

Last edited:
I think they should do away with trailers and just stick with teasers. Half the time trailers spoil all the major plot points of a film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"