Tim Daly

Catman

Avenger
Reaction score
Everyone is talking about a Dean Cain guest role on Smallville, which would be fantastic! But what about Tim Daly who provided the voice of Clark Kent/Superman on the animated series?

wings1.jpg

Most people, even fans of the animated series, wouldn't even recognize him, so it'd be pretty much pointless.

Most people, even fans of the animated series, wouldn't even recognize him, so it'd be pretty much pointless.

um...you ARE AWARE that Tim Daly starred in a hit sitcom back in the `90s? It was called WINGS! Seriously, how old are you people?!

um...you ARE AWARE that Tim Daly starred in a hit sitcom back in the `90s? It was called WINGS! Seriously, how old are you people?!
baby.gif

LOL! J/K. I never watched Wings, so I wouldn't recognize Daly either - and I'm DEFINITELY old enough - but I think it would be neat if they got him on the show for one ep. Would be funny if they made him some kind of meteor freak with a disembodied voice. He wouldn't be seen till Clark could "save" him at the very end of the ep. :D

I don't think its a matter of people not knowing who he is as much as people wouldn't get the connection, not everyone knows the voice actor of the character, in the cartoons (they might think he sound familiar. maybe)
and also, that was the 90s version of the cartoon

why not, George Newbern, who did the voice in Justice League
(which more people are familiar with, now, and might recognize the voice better, to make the connetion)
newbern.jpg

but, ya, either way, I wouldn't mind a cameo, of that kind, it could be cool
lil reference like that, the nods to the fans and stuff are always neat

Same here! Wings is one of my favorite sitcoms ever! I'm sure there's people who'll say, "hey, its the guy from Wings!"

And then they'll say "why the hell does the guy from Wings get a cameo on Smallville? What's he got to do with Superman?!" That's my point.

Tim Daly was also on The Fugitive remake a few years ago, he's a damn solid actor and would be cool to have on the show. He'd be good as an Uncle to Clark or something like that.

I liked Tim Daly in STAS. And Eyes. Poor guy can't catch a ****ing break.

And then they'll say "why the hell does the guy from Wings get a cameo on Smallville? What's he got to do with Superman?!" That's my point.

I doubt that the average viewer looks for a connection to the Superman mythos with every guest star that appears on the show.

I doubt that the average viewer looks for a connection to the Superman mythos with every guest star that appears on the show.

You get my point though. They wouldn't see Tim Daly and see "oh look, it's the voice of Superman from the animated show". They'd either see some random actor they dont know, or the guy from Wings, and that would defeat the purpose of a cameo.

to be fair, how many people knew Jor-El was voiced by Zod himself?:o

You get my point though. They wouldn't see Tim Daly and see "oh look, it's the voice of Superman from the animated show". They'd either see some random actor they dont know, or the guy from Wings, and that would defeat the purpose of a cameo.

I do see your point.

But I don't think that a cameo necessarily HAS to be for ratings or someone that everyone and their mother will recognize - sometimes it's just for those "select few" who would know.

I've gotta go with Abaddon's example - even though Terrance Stamp's Zod is infinitely more recognizable than Tim Daly's Superman, it's not likely that Joe Smallville Fan was like "Holy crap, it's Zod from Superman II as Jor-El!" the way they might've been when Chris Reeve showed up as Dr. Swann. Just like I doubt a Dean Cain cameo would ever set the ratings on fire...

Wings lasted for 7 years! Even if you never saw the show you would have atleast seen the promos, talk show appearances, entertainment news show stories, magazines, etc.
As baffling as this might seem to some folks, I don't watch a whole heck of a lot of TV LOL. I have never seen an episode of Wings. I've never seen any episodes of Lost, Survivor, American Idol, 24, Grey's Anatomy, Desperate Housewives, CSI, My Name is Earl, The OC, NCIS, Prison Break or Veronica Mars either (just to name a few.)

I am what you might call a VERY finicky viewer. I really only watch documentaries and science oriented programs now. I have no interest in CSI, for example, but I'll gladly watch a medical or forensic type documentary. Shows like Unsolved Mysteries, Seconds from Disaster or even Mythbusters. I *used* to watch a lot of TV. Name any show from the 70's or early 80's and dollars to donuts, I betcha that not only did I watch it, I could probably recite the lyrics to its theme song (assuming it had any.) But in the last 20 years... not so much. Television sux now. It's trite and boring, and OMG, don't get me started on reality programming. But I digress...

Back to Tim Daly. Well, after a quick visit to IMDb, it turns out I *would* recognize him. He played Jim Lovell in "From the Earth to the Moon," and he was in two episodes of "The Sopranos." So I haven't been living under a rock after all. :)

No one asked that about Shawn Ashmore, Rutger Hauer, Jane Seymour, Lee Thompson Young, Krista Allen, Joe Morton, Johnathan Taylor Thomas, Michael McKean, Zachery Ty Bryan, Ian Somerhalder, Michael Ironside, Chris Carmack, James Marsters, Carrie Fisher, Aaron Ashmore, Bow Wow, Batista, Tori Spelling, and Phil Morris...

To be fair, these ones were -kind of- stunt casting...
I'd add Chris Carmack and Tori Spelling to that as well. Oooo... and Peyton List(sp?)

Then again, casting any actor/actress with connections to Superman or comics in general is kind of "stunt casting."

Loved Wings,love Tim Daly;Tyne Daly's bro,love Steven Weber.

Wasnt he one of the guys that was almost Pa Kent on the show? I could've sworn that was him,

I'd add Chris Carmack and Tori Spelling to that as well. Oooo... and Peyton List(sp?)

Then again, casting any actor/actress with connections to Superman or comics in general is kind of "stunt casting."

I agree to a point. Especially when it comes to Chris Reeve.

LOL - I originally had Tori Spelling on that list, but IMO, if that's stunt casting, it's akin to...well, I'm kind of too tired to think of a really bad stunt. :p

People here need to stop giving crap when she's not much worse an actress than the average FOTW's have been.

People here need to stop giving crap when she's not much worse an actress than the average FOTW's have been.

True, but most of them don't have all kinds of undeserved "fame"...

And hey, I'd probably say the same thing about a crappy unknown FOTW actor/actress...but I doubt very few of them would be considered "stunt casting"...

also true, but I could annoyed when I read someone post about how ****ty she was when I know the chick that played Tina Grier was ten times worse.:down

also, ****ing hype lag!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"