Titans Titans 1x07 - “The Asylum”

Pennywise

Avenger
Reaction score
When The Messenger (recurring guest star REED BIRNEY) reveals that Rachel's birth mother is alive and being held captive by The Organization in a mysterious psychiatric facility, Rachel is determined to rescue her. But once inside, the Titans are faced with their deepest vulnerabilities and fears.

Guest Cast: Rachel Nichols as Angela, Reed Birney as The Messenger and Rachel Crawford as Doctor

I actually thought this was one of the weaker episodes thus far; awfully convenient that Rachel managed to find all of her friends within the allocated time and that no security cameras picked her up whilst she was wandering the facility.

I wouldn't have thought Dick and Kori would be in rush a rush as to torch a bunch of guards either; good or bad, half of them probably had families? The scene between Raven and her Mom (the introductory scene) seemed a bit half baked as well - we're expected to believe that Mom has been there since Raven's birth and is (seemingly) mentally sound? Nah. Locked up in an asylum for a short duration is going to do stuff to your psyche, let alone fifteen odd years.

This Dick Grayson is a borderline sociopath so him wanting to torch the guards didn't surprise me too much.

Okay to good episode. It did seem too easy for Rachel to find all her buddies after escaping. I was expecting a flood of security guys to rush her at any time, or perhaps the security cameras are not everywhere. A place like that, I think they would be. Also the security just had tasers? No guns? It seemed too easy for Dick to just work his sweet way through them all, despite have received a double dosage of whatever drug they gave him. And wouldn't they want to catch the head of the facility or find out more info before deciding to torch the place?

And I think Starfire needs a fashion intervention. Not feeling her current wide legged outfit. It's certainly bright; maybe thats her thing.

so did Rachel have a raven birthmark on her back?

Nightwing is coming:D

Goddamn right man. That blue in the reflection tho. :awesome:

rF6XV7Z.png

This might be a bit of a nit pick but aint it time for Star fire to have a wardrobe change? I'm not talking about her classic outfit (I know that's coming), but how about some nice jeans and blouse. Anything but that tacky shiny purple club outfit and fur coat.

Dick has worn a variety of different clothes when he's not in Robin form. First few eps were fine, but she's settled into her role, and she's not longer in deep cover in Germany, throw on something a bit more casual in your down time. lol

I actually thought this was one of the weaker episodes thus far; awfully convenient that Rachel managed to find all of her friends within the allocated time and that no security cameras picked her up whilst she was wandering the facility.

I wouldn't have thought Dick and Kori would be in rush a rush as to torch a bunch of guards either; good or bad, half of them probably had families? The scene between Raven and her Mom (the introductory scene) seemed a bit half baked as well - we're expected to believe that Mom has been there since Raven's birth and is (seemingly) mentally sound? Nah. Locked up in an asylum for a short duration is going to do stuff to your psyche, let alone fifteen odd years.
Agreed. The usual pattern of coincidence I'm used to, but Raven's brattiness was at an all time high. I blame the writers for making her so stupid. I wish there was another way to get her to that facility without her volunteering herself on platter. I'd be happy with a standard kidnapping and then rescue.

Still enjoyable enough, but was the weakest so far imo.

Okay to good episode. It did seem too easy for Rachel to find all her buddies after escaping. I was expecting a flood of security guys to rush her at any time, or perhaps the security cameras are not everywhere. A place like that, I think they would be. Also the security just had tasers? No guns? It seemed too easy for Dick to just work his sweet way through them all, despite have received a double dosage of whatever drug they gave him. And wouldn't they want to catch the head of the facility or find out more info before deciding to torch the place?

And I think Starfire needs a fashion intervention. Not feeling her current wide legged outfit. It's certainly bright; maybe thats her thing.
They definitely wanted them alive.
Or at least, they wanted Raven alive.
They couldn’t just have bullets flying everywhere.

Episode was good, but preferred the last one. Really excited for the future of the show! Can't wait for Nightwing!

This Dick Grayson is a borderline sociopath so him wanting to torch the guards didn't surprise me too much.
He is, but then he was quick to shut down Jason beating up those cops. Considering what he's done here, he's just become a giant hypocrite, surely?

It felt pretty satisfying when Dick beat the crap out of those guards though
That scene, and the one with Garth (as the Tiger) were the episode stealing scenes for me; even though Dick (having been injected with god knows what) shouldn't have been in fighting shape so soon; he's trained and skilled, yeah, but he's no metahuman or alien with advanced regeneration.

Given Batman trained him and how they're treating his reputation it's very possible Bruce taught him how to do just that!
Let's face it the Batman IS that scary!
I expected her to snap Dick out of his fugue state by asking who the guy in the bat outfit standing over there was?!

I thought this episode was really good actually..... Nightwing is coming ;) (not too crazy about Donna stealing the spotlight in the next episode, though, just guessing here)
And yeah, if we want to nitpick they got caught a little too easily (but to be fair Rachel and Gar are teenagers, so in a way their behavior kinda makes sense, except for the fact that Gar should have changed into a tiger before they tried to barge in) and maybe escaped a little too easily .......
but at the end of the day not many TV shows, even without super heroes, are that realistic...... (in 'Friends' for example how could they afford huge apartments in Manhattan? the list goes on and on)
so I'm not too bothered and still think the episode was really good and really entertaining.

On the topic of destroying the asylum.....yeah, it might seem harsh, but we are talking about destroying a facility that was brainwashing people and turning them into ultra-violent assassins..... they potentially saved a lot of lives by doing that..... and I kinda like how ruthless they are. IMO real vigilantes would fight fire with fire and end threats permanently.... what's the point of being a vigilante if you're just gonna hand over the crooks to the police so they can lawyer up and hurt more innocent people in the future?

If I want to quibble, my only issue with the show is that there are too many 'guests'...... I liked Jason Todd making an appearance, for example, but did they really have to pretty much sweep under a rug all the other Titans for a whole episode? Love the show, don't get me wrong, but I would like it even more if they focused more on the Titans and a little less on guests. (also Hawk and Dove in episode 2, the Doom Patrol, next Donna... all cool taken individually, yeah, but imo a little too many overall, too many sidetracks from the main storyline)

There's a pretty major distinction between stopping someone from killing cops who are just doing their job, and destroying a secret organization kidnapping and "dissecting" and brainwashing metahumans and humans.

I think it's pretty clear that Dick's struggle with violence and feelings about killing s going to be a major part of his character arc, and not in the typical "No, killing is wrong, I should stop before I become like those I fight against" way that we see so often.

Not that we've seen him do much in the way of killing. Blood flying from people's noses when they're struck with a blunt object and bones breaking doesn't exactly equal mass murder.

The evolution into Nightwing represents an evolution into something darker, a willingness to use his violent nature, not just Dick getting out of Batman's shadow and abandoning the Robin mantle. We're essentially seeing Dick embrace that side of himself, even as he recognizes the danger in doing so. Should be interesting.

She was in there 5 years.

This might be a bit of a nit pick but aint it time for Star fire to have a wardrobe change? I'm not talking about her classic outfit (I know that's coming), but how about some nice jeans and blouse. Anything but that tacky shiny purple club outfit and fur coat.

Dick has worn a variety of different clothes when he's not in Robin form. First few eps were fine, but she's settled into her role, and she's not longer in deep cover in Germany, throw on something a bit more casual in your down time. lol

I agree with your general point but she actually has changed clothes. From one purple outfit (a dress) to another purple one (with the bell bottom pants)

I actually like her flashy 70s clothing. Very clubby and vintage.

I agree with your general point but she actually has changed clothes. From one purple outfit (a dress) to another purple one (with the bell bottom pants)

A person over Reddit claimed to have read the script (and there are 2 other members saying what they said is true) and said there was a part in the script where Kori found a trunk of purple vintage outfit, but that scene was cut.

I actually like her flashy 70s clothing. Very clubby and vintage.

Ok I'll accept that maybe she just likes the 70's style, but can't they mix it up a bit? Rotate her outfits. Wear some flares or a different dress. That fur coat seems so impractical lol

The latest episode illustrated why wearing the same outfit is a bad idea for a fugitive. She's wearing the exact same outfit as her police tracking photo. Time for wardrobe change.

She was in there 5 years.
My mistake, yet even five years in a mental institution being experimented on would leave something of a traumatic effect on said person, and she's seemingly as normal as can be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"