Titans Titans - S01E04 - Doom Patrol

I'm surprised how overtly evil they made the chief. I thought they might of portrayed him more subtle so that they could do the twist reveal from the comics in the doom patrol spin off show.

I didn't get the evil vibe from him. He was just insanely strict.
He does make the 3rd person or 4th person on this show acting on "what's best" for Raven.

not knowing anything about the character, the vibe I got from Chief was that he could go either way. Like, he seems nice and well-intentioned in helping the misfits and "doomed", but perhaps theres a darker side to him or some other hidden motive or secret.

not knowing anything about the character, the vibe I got from Chief was that he could go either way. Like, he seems nice and well-intentioned in helping the misfits and "doomed", but perhaps theres a darker side to him or some other hidden motive or secret.
Marvel based their X-Men on Doom Patrol, in terms of personality (not powers), Chief is mix of Prof. Xavier and Magneto.

Marvel based their X-Men on Doom Patrol, in terms of personality (not powers), Chief is mix of Prof. Xavier and Magneto.
oh, so Doom Patrol came first?

and yeah, I can see a mixture of Xavier and Magneto in Chief.

part of him does want to help these misfits and outcasts, but I can see the other side of him willing to "sacrifice" them for the sake of science and research.

part of him does want to help these misfits and outcasts, but I can see the other side of him willing to "sacrifice" them for the sake of science and research.
I wouldn't say sacrifice. Once he's set his mind on helping her, guess even her & Gar wanting to back out isn't enough. It's like they formed a tough to break contract or something.

Yeah, Doom Patrol came first. The Chief is a morally grey character, initially members of DP trust him but soon they discover that he is not all that good but still continue to work with him, though they also start to question him.

Last edited:
Doom Patrol were wonderfully creepy.
Love the look of Robotman and Negative Man.
Looking forward to their series.

Loved this episode!

As this episode is pretty much all about the Doom Patrol I will focus on them but also a bit on Beast Boy as this felt like his first real chance to shine. Firstly im not sure if I should be commending the prop or catering team because the food looked amazing. (think this is the first time ive commended a superhero show on food lol)

Beast Boy - First real chance that Gar has had to make an impact on me and I have to say he's a welcome addition to the team. The levity he adds is important with Raven, Dick and Cory it was a pretty serious group. Gar brings that fun back to them and his fun attitude already seems to be rubbing off on Raven. I also like how we got a definitive view of where he stands in terms of morality, I get the feeling he would have made his first bite on chief to stop him potentially hurting Raven if he hadn't been tranquilized.

Robot Man - I really liked him apart from the first time we see him when he rips Raven out of the closet and almost gave me a heart attack lol. Had no idea it was Brendan Fraser that actually makes me so happy. From Blast From The Past, The Mummy series, California Man, George of the Jungle, Bedazzled, Dudley Do Right and Monkeybone this guy was a massive part of my childhood. I really enjoyed how he eventually warmed to Rachel and how he tells Gar to go have a life because he cares for the kid.

Mr Negative - Im still not sure what his powers are but I really enjoyed him if just for his personality alone, lets be honest we all wish we could dance that well while cooking a gorgeous meal lol. His vegan joke had me laughing out loud as well. Plus he seemed the most sociable of the team apart from Gar. I also liked how when Dick and Cory show up he says he doesn't want to fight them was a nice change of pace from the norm.

Rita - Im not sure if I fully understood her power, was she the blob on the bed? Anyway she had that look of a lady that had been time travelled from the 50's, that combination of very pretty and classy looking. Liked the bit with Raven showing her she's not afraid of her.

Chief - Im still on the fence about Chief, the tongue lashing he gave Gar after taking Raven to the house felt sincere. He comes off as very angry that he put the others in danger but quickly softens on Gar which seemed realistic to me. The whole keeping Raven tied up against her will and tranquilizing Gar felt like it pushed him over the edge in to a borderline bad guy though.

10/10

I really loved the Doom Patrol. Glad to hear they’re getting their own show. A lot of potential there

Meh, don't buy it. The X-Men came out a mere three months later...not really enough time considering books needed much longer to be put out to market. Heresy.

I could make the case Doom Patrol was more influenced by early concepts of the Fantastic Four before Kirby made changes, and even after the changes superficially, but again heresy. All these guy's were/are swimming in the same pool so there is bound to be similarities beyond direct influence at times.

Last edited:
I didn't get the evil vibe from him. He was just insanely strict.
He does make the 3rd person or 4th person on this show acting on "what's best" for Raven.
That's what I got from him too. Not outright evil, but totally controlling for what he sees as their own good and for his work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"