TMOS Review & Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFlamingCoco

Avenger
Reaction score
Here are the "reviews" and how I feel they rank in reputability.
Ybnormal's spoilers: Probably false

The movie cut shown was 2 hours and 24 mins

The budget was initially 185 million but later increased to 215 after Snyder showed higher ups his quick story boards ideas of some of the action sequences he had planned for the film. It was later increased to 235 million to account for extra cgi cost and the added 3D

The movie is more massive than you can imagine with huge sets built and amazingly shot action sequences. Snyder makes great use of every penny in the budget. The only thing he can compare this to is the action in the Avengers, although he claims this is better shot and feels more real.

Shannon's Zod is probably going to end up being one of the greatest movie villains on screen

Zod is amazingly well written

Shannon gives the best performance of the movie, and he has just as much screen time as Cavill

Cavill looks really good in the suit. He's a massive presence on screen and he looks like Superman out of a comic book

Zod wears a similar suit but basically all black. He does have a cape when he's first shown wearing his suit, but mostly he's shown without it

Action sequence are epic

The movie goes pretty deep into trying to understand how it would go if these aliens just showed up one day out of nowhere

All Superman powers are on full display, although no freeze breath was mentioned

There is definitely a Nolan feel to the movie

The colors look different on the suit than what we've seen. Not sure if it's cgi enhanced or just the lighting, but its a lot brighter and vibrant looking in the actual movie footage

Nick Jones Jr's tweets: Highly questionable due to lack of details
When asked how the Man of Steel compared to the Dark Knight, Nick Jones Jr. tweeted, “Honestly…… BETTER.” When asked to describe the fight scenes, Nick Jones Jr. tweeted, “Watchmen meets Avengers.” In regards to the CGI, Nick Jones Jr. tweeted, “Good stuff. I think his cape was cgi in some scenes. Really looked cool.”

http://comicbook.com/blog/2013/03/0...-non-anonymous-source-calls-it-a-masterpiece/

Joblo's nameless "source": Warmer, but still missing details. Also suspiciously glowing.

- Imagine a Nolan story with Snyder effects/action.
- It's the best movie of the year.
- There's TONS of action with Superman kicking all kinds of ass in his suit.
- The cape is CG'd most of the time so it can look awesome.
- They have intentionally left out most of the the Super action in trailers to save it.
- It's not nearly as dour and serious as the trailers suggest.
- The movie is complete, minus the 3D post-conversion, which is currently taking place

Poni_boy of Dailyblam: Since it has some criticisms, I would actually think that's a good sign in validity, since adding negative elements risks losing validity, against the other glowing reception. However, he said that critics attended a "family and friends screening." Right :whatever:

Hearing a good variety of reactions to Man of Steel. Lots of praise for Micheal Shannon & Russell Crowe. Action is plentiful.

Out of the people I've spoken to only one is a pro critic (her reaction was the most negative). Also heard the Zimmer score isn't done yet.

Read more: http://www.nolanfans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=41&p=614403#ixzz2NHu70zHS

Neogaf's review: Still rather vague, but gives an overall idea of what he claimed the film was like. However his reputability was "broken" when he failed to quote a supposedly quotable villain.

It really does feel like the first time Superman has been done justice in live action.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=48816189&postcount=233

Gamefaqs: This is the only one I've come close to trusting. The reviewer is critical of Zack Snyder and Superman himself, praises Shannon and Cavill, and provides scene details. The thread's closed unfortunately, so we don't know how he would have answered the final questions. However, the fact that it isn't shut down pretty much is a sign in the negative direction.

Assim Assad's twitter: https://twitter.com/asimaahmad

I am actually sure he watched it. He has a twitpic of the screening room and was a stunt coordinator on TDK. He even had a minor role in Inception. That would explain why he refuses to compare TDK to MOS, in case he wants another job with Nolan. He said Cavill was the best Superman since Reeve, and the movie made him pretty much weep.

This has been lengthy, but I want to hear your thoughts.

Oh man that Gamefaqs thread with the description from that poster had some serious spoilers. I had to pull myself away at one point so I couldn't read more. Very looking forward to June.

um the Gamefaqs one was not critical at all... he actually called it the best Superman movie he's seen...

^ I meant the character, not the movie. Anyway, it's only a matter of time before more reputable "screenings show up." It looks like they are going to have the "Green Lantern" review approach, without as much of an embargo, by allowing tweeters/bloggers to screen/praise the films first, and then allowing actual critics to watch it. :dry:

I thought Assim was already proven to be totally unreliable and full of BS?

^ I'd be sad, but not terribly surprised. It would be his way of "viral" marketing himself as an actor. If only someone could screen it and "leak" a few fuzzy images from the movie. Not the movie itself of course. I wouldn't want to watch it in anything but the theater.

Several critic screenings starting this week. Post all reviews/reaction here.

all the "reviews" above are old stuff now (but it's good to have it all collected in one thread though)... I wanna read NEW reviews. and I wanna read that MOS is the best superheromovie ever made!!!

^ He talks about Superman and Zod slinging Planets at each other. But that's SILLY. He's lying, like most of them. :D

^ He talks about Superman and Zod slinging Planets at each other. But that's SILLY. He's lying, like most of them. :D

Indeed; the dude comes off quite....well moronic in the way he describes the film. The guy says that Nolan doesn't even know how to make a good film and yet he says that he loves the Batman films.lol

LOL, the Misc forums on bodybuilding.com are a hive of scum and villainy. Trolling is the norm as opposed to the exception there. So everyone take this with a heaping of salt. Entertaining read though.

That does look like it was written by a bodybuilder. :woot:
I know you are joking, but most of the people on there who sound like idiot meatheads don't even lift. The guys who are serious about bodybuilding on there are actually quite intelligent and well-spoken, but they stay away from the Misc section like it is the plague.

Last edited:
Sorry guys, my bad.

It looks like he's just making things up that have no basis in reality (as you rightly pointed out).

(and sorry for my bad english, I'm hungarian)

Sorry guys, my bad.

It looks like he's just making things up that have no basis in reality (as you rightly pointed out).

(and sorry for my bad english, I'm hungarian)

Well it was fun to read anyway, although a bit insane. ;)

A second wasted is a second closer to the release, right?

I don't really care about Body By Jake's review, I'll wait for the real reviews from actual movie critics.

That being said, I hope the MOS boards doesn't resort to some of the other fanboards when it comes to critics.

"They gave it only 9/10 stars, they don't know anything, they are stupid!"

"John Doe said it wasn't good and it got a rotten score, he's the worst reviewer EVER!"

"Jen Jennies loved it, shes the best critic of all time!"

I don't really care about Body By Jake's review, I'll wait for the real reviews from actual movie critics.

That being said, I hope the MOS boards doesn't resort to some of the other fanboards when it comes to critics.

"John Doe said it wasn't good and it got a rotten score, he's the worst reviewer EVER!"

This basically sums it up, lol

Uh, yeah. Even when asked if he meant what he said, he said yes, and described some crazy crap that sounds insane even by Snyder hyper-reality standards. So, yeah, no. Next, please.

Well it was fun to read anyway, although a bit insane. ;)

A second wasted is a second closer to the release, right?

Yeah..:yay:

I'm really excited to see this new take on Supes. I hope it ends up being a great film.

Jeez, I remember having heard on how one critic or two even got emails and comments on their sites that were less than flattering simply because they didn't like "The Dark Knight Rises".

I really hope that we don't repeat history here.

Honestly, some people should realize that no matter how great MOS look or how great it may be, it'll still have its faults simply because there isn't a perfect film in existence and we have to remember that Goyer isn't exactly the best of writers either.

Jeez, I remember having heard on how one critic or two even got emails and comments on their sites that were less than flattering simply because they didn't like "The Dark Knight Rises".

I really hope that we don't repeat history here.

Honestly, some people should realize that no matter how great MOS look or how great it may be, it'll still have its faults simply because there isn't a perfect film in existence and we have to remember that Goyer isn't exactly the best of writers either.

Exactly. Film is a progressive art form, so even if a film is "perfect" at the time, aspects will become dated. Also, superhero movies can always be improved, because there are thousands of pages of great ideas in comic history. Though I might actually forget this fact when I watch MOS :)

If you look at how Batman Begins did in terms of rotten tomatoes it's a sad story. I think it was given an unfair shake. Then Dark Knight seems to be universally loved by critics and while it's a solid sequel I felt Begins was the film that really relaunched the character and deserved some praise. By the time you get to Dark Knight, it was like critics realized the general public liked the recreated version and went with it. I expect Man of Steel to be compared with Superman: The Movie and a lot of people (like me) grew up watching that and will have mental attachment to it. So they will go out of their way to claim MOS took the 'fun' out of it and it's too dark, or too light, or not enough story. The one thing you can be sure of, critics never complain that there isn't enough spectacle. Effects seem to be the primary complaint of blockbusters. That they spend too much time on making things look pretty. I swear, sometimes it's like critics are anti-technology. ;)

If you look at how Batman Begins did in terms of rotten tomatoes it's a sad story. I think it was given an unfair shake. Then Dark Knight seems to be universally loved by critics and while it's a solid sequel I felt Begins was the film that really relaunched the character and deserved some praise. By the time you get to Dark Knight, it was like critics realized the general public liked the recreated version and went with it. I expect Man of Steel to be compared with Superman: The Movie and a lot of people (like me) grew up watching that and will have mental attachment to it. So they will go out of their way to claim MOS took the 'fun' out of it and it's too dark, or too light, or not enough story. The one thing you can be sure of, critics never complain that there isn't enough spectacle. Effects seem to be the primary complaint of blockbusters. That they spend too much time on making things look pretty. I swear, sometimes it's like critics are anti-technology. ;)

My thoughts exactly. I will say this, when BB came along, I don't think there were any origin stories as personal and thorough as BB. So critics had nothing to compare it with, really. That being said, if it's underrated, it's only underrated slightly. I feel like Dawes and the less-than-stellar camerawork in the action scenes hampered the film, and the concept shifted from a crime drama atmosphere to a more "superheroic one" which kind of defeats the "real world" point. :oldrazz:

TDK had the Ledger hype surrounding it, but also was an incredible movie in and of itself. TDKR had hype leftover from TDK, but critics also seemed like they valued it more based on a newfound nostalgia, if that makes any sense.

MOS could be a masterwork of cinema, but it's doomed to be underrated by critics who view it as a threat to "their" classic. Combine that with someone who will search every canonical event that parallels the classic and pan it as a "rip off" and you have over ten percent of critics hating it for no good reason at all. So yes, if MOS gets over 83, I'll be happy. If it gets over 86, I'll be thrilled. Anything MORE would make me want to camp outside the theater, rain or shine, for a chance to see it :)

Last edited:
You put what I was trying to see into more eloquent words. Thank you. :)

Great post. I agree 100%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"