Tokyo Vice (HBO Max)

I've watched 5 and I really like it. I like Jake well enough. I do wonder if there will be more than one season. I don't know how long the book was.

That was a really lackluster season finale. I wonder if leaving everything unresolved was due to COVID or if that was always the plan. Hopefully it won't get cancelled before they get a chance to wrap everything up.

Solid show otherwise, just wish Mann had directed more than one episode.

Yeah, I saw that when I was checking if it had been renewed for additional seasons yet (it hasn't).

I haven't read the article (it contains pretty extensive spoilers for future storylines), but the show as it is has been pretty farfetched. I don't know how faithful the show has been to the book, but a white reporter knowing two yakuza heads, getting "friendly" with one of their mistresses, while also involved in a love triangle with another yakuza member stretches believability, to put it nicely.

I don't mind that being the plot of a fictional tv show, but to push it as nonfiction is silly at best.

Last edited:
I had my doubts when I had first heard about the book but I think most semi-autobiographical works of this nature have been embellished.

It's a really solid show, but I do wonder how much better it would have been if Mann got to direct more episodes, especially since material like this is so in his wheelhouse.

Hell, even Ridley Scott getting to direct a few episodes would have been really interesting instead of seeing him waste his talent on shows like Raised by Wolves.

Surprisingly, Ansel Elgort didn't annoy me much in this either and I actually quite liked his character throughout, but Sato was a far more interesting and compelling character IMO.

I do kind of wish more of this show had been from his perspective as the lead as well and more focus on Ken Wantanabe's and Rinko Kikuchi's characters, but I'd be down for a Season 2.

It's a really solid show, but I do wonder how much better it would have been if Mann got to direct more episodes, especially since material like this is so in his wheelhouse.

Hell, even Ridley Scott getting to direct a few episodes would have been really interesting instead of seeing him waste his talent on shows like Raised by Wolves.
Scott's directing has been very mumsy for years. I feel no passion whatsoever in almost any of his work anymore. But he only directed the first two episodes of Raised by Wolves anyway. And I personally liked the second season quite a bit. I do agree about Mann, though.

Scott's directing has been very mumsy for years. I feel no passion whatsoever in almost any of his work anymore. But he only directed the first two episodes of Raised by Wolves anyway. And I personally liked the second season quite a bit. I do agree about Mann, though.
His eye is still as sharp as ever, but not being a writer he's only as good as the scripts he works with. Scott's work has always been hit or miss to me, he just seems to be working with worse writers lately. The Last Duel was a great return to form, though, easily his best since Kingdom of Heaven (the director's cut is among his best work).

Yeah, I'm not talking about scripts. Martian had a good screenplay but directing-wise felt completely bland and generic and The Last Duel didn't speak to me at all. Nothing like Scott's dynamism of energy up until the early 00s.

So was this worth watching overall? I watched the pilot some weeks back and…wasnt immediately grabbed honestly. I appreciated Mann’s slick directing but it was a bit of a drag to me honestly.

I had my doubts when I had first heard about the book but I think most semi-autobiographical works of this nature have been embellished.

Except the original book itself is classified as "nonfiction."

Good. After Raised by Wolves I would be pissed at them if they had cancelled that too.

Seriously stoked for this! :D

S2 premiers Thursday

Well I watched the first episode of the new season and while it was good, quickly found that the recap just wasn't good enough. My memory is either too feeble or this is just complicated enough that I'm just going to have to watch the first season all over again before I go any further. It won't be a punishment, this show was good enough it will be worth it. :)

I'm mostly done rewatching season 1. Glad I did, I forgot so much and the show is just so good. :)
Same. The gap between S1 and S2 was so long that I had to go back and watch the former. And like you, I'm glad that I did. Really great show, IMO.

Urgh, I don't know anyone else that is watching this right now.

I had to go back and rewatch the first season, but I was caught up in time to start the second one when it premiered last month. Enjoying it a lot thus far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"