Tokyo Vice (HBO Max)

Same. The gap between S1 and S2 was so long that I had to go back and watch the former. And like you, I'm glad that I did. Really great show, IMO.

I had to go back and rewatch the first season, but I was caught up in time to start the second one when it premiered last month. Enjoying it a lot thus far.
Yeah, I should have started sooner so I could have been all caught up like you. Oh, well. :p

This is a great show and I'm really enjoying Season 2 so far, but it definitely feels like its going under the radar a lot like Raised By Wolves Season 2 did but hopefully it doesn't get cancelled. With this House of Ninjas and Shogun we have been some great Japanese shows this year and its only March.

Catching up. Watched season 2, episode 3 today and the show has really maintained the quality of the first season. Hope enough people are watching that the show continues for more seasons.

That's what it sounds like.

I broke down and read the book. From what I've seen in the show so far, the two seasons make sense. To keep going they would have to come up with new story material. Not that I would have minded that any. The show is better than the book only because of the rich number of well casted additional characters the showrunners added to the book plot. :)

I broke down and read the book. From what I've seen in the show so far, the two seasons make sense. To keep going they would have to come up with new story material. Not that I would have minded that any. The show is better than the book only because of the rich number of well casted additional characters the showrunners added to the book plot. :)
I'm curious where the book ends. Maybe you can tell us when you finish it. If season 2 completes the memoir then I'm more than ok for this to end there. I've seen so many shows going further than the source material and it usually doesn't end well. I wouldn't be 100% against it but it would be extra risky here since it's based on real events. If however there's more stuff to tell, I'll be very disappointed if this doesn't get renewed.

Book spoilers:

The book starts out like show did with Jake getting the job as a new reporter and all that. The book is kind of sparse as it has only Jake's story lines. No Sato climbing through the Yakuza, no former hostess and her club, the cop Jake befriended in the show isca composite of different cops he worked with over the years. The book mainly focuses on the case with the top Yakuza guy getting that liver transplant, which Jake does solve, but only after he leaves his reporter job after many years. He then goes back to the States with his Japanese wife and kids. He works with the FBI to solve the liver transplant case and also the famous Lucie Blackwood murder case in Japan. The book is a memoir so the show is based on true things, just that they added side characters to round out Japanese culture. The book is very good, just has a lot of show people missing from it.

:)

Does this mean no season 3?
That's what it sounds like.
Yep. Disappointing news. That said, both seasons have been consistently satisfying from episode to episode. And sometimes it's better to end on a high note rather than risk ruining a great story or character development.

Update: Sounds like Adelstein was just referring to the current story involving Tozawa. There might be more seasons to come, after all! :awesome:

Here's his most recent response to a S3-related question:

I'd love it, too. He must have covered lots of stories not in the book. :)

In any case, who do you guys suppose lit the Meicho fire? The most recent episode makes clear that,
contrary to what Eimi had thought, it wasn't Baku.

No book spoilers, though. :nuhu: :funny:

In any case, who do you guys suppose lit the Meicho fire? The most recent episode makes clear that,
contrary to what Eimi had thought, it wasn't Baku.

No book spoilers, though. :nuhu: :funny:
Lol, Polina's murder never happened in the book. :)

Extraordinary finale.

giphy.gif

*gives as much global love as she can muster*

Hope it's enough for another season.:D

Watched the finale yesterday. This was a great season (like the first) with a satisfying ending. Would definitely watch more if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"