Tom Rothman Exiting Fox

Now, I want to see X-Men and FF crossover.

I wouldn't be too "giddy" yet. Who knows what a new regime may feel about the Marvel (x-men & FF) properties. Now that Daredevil is (officially?) returned to Marvel, will the new bosses seek to reaffirm their commitments to develop commercially compelling action-fantasy films? On the other hand, will they seek to develop some kind of new "tentpole" franchise, deemphasize promotional/funding efforts for the film properties they control? On a more cynical level, would the studio be willing to "sit" on the properties, trying to keep the license but perhaps trying to spinoff less-expensive (and possibly less dramatically deep) straight-to-DVD projects? (i.e., the Wrong Turn movie sequels)

He was the Satan of the Marvel Film-making universe...the slaughterer of millions of fanboy dreams. And now he's gone.

Praise the lord! Praise the lord, I say! :up:

Rothman going is good news. But who can tell whether his replacement will be another cheap SOB who will crank out crappy Marvel films with lousy scripts and shoestring budgets? Fox is as likely to end up making more of the same schlock as it is to get things right under a new CEO.

I wouldn't be too "giddy" yet. Who knows what a new regime may feel about the Marvel (x-men & FF) properties. Now that Daredevil is (officially?) returned to Marvel, will the new bosses seek to reaffirm their commitments to develop commercially compelling action-fantasy films? On the other hand, will they seek to develop some kind of new "tentpole" franchise, deemphasize promotional/funding efforts for the film properties they control? On a more cynical level, would the studio be willing to "sit" on the properties, trying to keep the license but perhaps trying to spinoff less-expensive (and possibly less dramatically deep) straight-to-DVD projects? (i.e., the Wrong Turn movie sequels)

Rothman going is good news. But who can tell whether his replacement will be another cheap SOB who will crank out crappy Marvel films with lousy scripts and shoestring budgets? Fox is as likely to end up making more of the same schlock as it is to get things right under a new CEO.

In the words of John Lennon: "Couldn't get much worse."

I can't believe there are many people who would look at what Fox has done with their superhero properties and look at what all the other studios have done and decide to use the Fox model (unless you're Rothman and you created that model).

A shake-up like this could even mean they might re-open talks with Marvel regarding FF rights.

Top Grossing Films of All Time:

3. The Avengers
9. The Dark Knight Rises
13. The Dark Knight
24. Spider-man 3
33. Spider-man
39. Spider-man 2
45. The Amazing Spider Man
65. Iron Man 2
78. Iron Man

What do all those films have in common? They're superhero films made by studios other than Fox.

If I were on the board at Fox, I'd be asking: "How did we have the rights to X-Men, Fantastic Four and Daredevil but never have a superhero film in the top 100 while competitors were creating massive franchises?"

Most of us could probably answer that question to some degree. Tom Rothman can't. I'd be asking the person taking his place that question and if they can't answer, they shouldn't get the job.

^

Amen. :up:

If they had handled their s*** right, there should've at least been one X-Men film in that bracket.

nananana nananana hey hey hey goodbye!

Well well well, what can I say, the choices he made on the Fantastic Four were very disappointing. I can't rejoice at anyone losing their little pick, but man Tom, you should have done better with the team supreme.

Don't get too excited. The new chairman was Rothman's partner-in-crime. So, there won't be an outsider's point-of-view in the new regime. It'll be more of the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"