Training Day series in development at CBS

Sawyer

Definitely Not 40
Reaction score
http://deadline.com/2015/08/training-day-series-antoine-fuqua-jerry-bruckheimer-cbs-1201498345/
‘Training Day’ Series From Antoine Fuqua & Jerry Bruckheimer Lands At CBS
by Nellie Andreeva

In a competitive situation, with all of the Big 4 networks interested, Training Day, a series adaptation of Antoine Fuqua’s acclaimed 2001 feature, has landed at CBS with a pilot production commitment. The hot project, which was taken out last week, hails from Fuqua, writer Will Beall, Warner Bros. TV and studio-based Jerry Bruckheimer Television.

It was Fuqua’s idea to do the neo-noir crime thriller, which starred Denzel Washington and Ethan Hawke, as a TV series. He approached WBTV and also brought on board studio-based Jerry Bruckheimer TV and Beall. Fuqua is executive producing and is set to direct the pilot, written by Beall, who has feature (Gangster Squad), television (Castle) and police background as a former LAPD detective.

The Warner Bros. Pictures/Village Roadshow Pictures feature, written by David Ayer, centered on a rookie LAPD cop (Hawke) who goes on a day-long training course with a rogue detective from narcotics (Washington).

I hear that the series, from WBTV, Fuqua Films and Jerry Bruckheimer TV, would focus on the relationship between the two cops. It would be taking place 15 years after the movie, set in the LAPD of 2015. I also hear that the premise may get a twist, with the rookie cop being black and the corrupt older cop being white.

Buddy cop show has been high on CBS’ genre wish list. The network launched Battle Creek last season and has the upcoming Rush Hour, also a series adaptation of a popular movie title from WBTV. I hear Training Day is not supposed to clash with Rush Hour as the two shows have very different tones, an hourlong comedy (Rush Hour) and a gritty drama (Training Day).

Fuqua and Beall executive produce Training Day with Jerry Bruckheimer TV’s Jerry Bruckheimer and Jonathan Littman. The company’s KristieAnne Reed is co-executive producing.

The 2001 movie was a critical and commercial hit, earning Oscar nominations for both Washington and Hawke, and a win for Washington.

Fuqua’s latest movie, Southpaw, just opened, and he is directing The Magnificent Seven, which co-stars Washington and Hawke. Beall is wrapping up writing two feature projects based on famous characters, Robin Hill and The Legend Of Conan.Fuqua, Beall and Jerry Bruckheimer TV are repped by CAA.
All things considered, let's hope this is more Person of Interest than NCIS.

No Denzel, no dice to be honest. The first time I watched Denzel play Alonzo Harris it frightened me. He is one scary dude.

No Denzel, no dice to be honest. The first time I watched Denzel play Alonzo Harris it frightened me. He is one scary dude.

This seires is is set 15 years after the events of the film so unless Alonzo comes back as a vengeful ghost I doubt Denzel will be returning to the role.

It would be interesting to have Ethan Hawke as the seasoned veteran training a new cop.

You have to wonder how long "training" will be if it goes for five years lol

And older Jake training a rookie would be great, actually. Or even if they go the "From Dusk Til Dawn" "Buffy" "Rush Hour" route and just reboot the movie as a series. That could work also.

"King Kong ain't got nothing on me"

And older Jake training a rookie would be great, actually. Or even if they go the "From Dusk Til Dawn" "Buffy" "Rush Hour" route and just reboot the movie as a series. That could work also.

The way the article makes it sound, the former seems more likely. If they could actually land Hawke, that would be pretty impressive. It wouldn't be impossible. He's got a film career, but I wouldn't say he's at the top of the Hollywood ladder, plus he did a pilot a few years back that wasn't picked up, so we know he's open to it. Having Antoine Fuqua on board could be helpful in getting his attention.

Plus Hawke is almost as old now as Denzel was in the film.

http://deadline.com/2016/02/training-day-tv-series-ethan-hawke-jake-hoyt-return-cbs-1201696855/
‘Training Day’: Will Ethan Hawke’s Jake Hoyt Return For TV Series Reboot?
by Nellie Andreeva

Training Day, CBS’ present-day reimagining of Antoine Fuqua’s acclaimed 2001 feature that starred Denzel Washington and Ethan Hawke, could become a true sequel, featuring the surviving main characters from the movie.

I have learned that Hawke has been approached to reprise his role as Jake Hoyt in the TV series, which hails from Fuqua, Jerry Bruckheimer and Warner Bros. TV. It is unclear at the moment whether it will happen or not as talks are ongoing. If he does, it would be for a supporting/recurring role, though I hear there was an idea for Hawke to potentially star in the series.

The film starred Washington as rogue narcotics detective Alonzo Harris and Hawke as his rookie cop partner Hoyt. The TV series adaptation, written by Will Beall and directed by Fuqua, is set 15 years later and centers on an idealistic young African-American police officer, Kyle, who is given an assignment by the Deputy Chief to go undercover with an elite squad of the LAPD and take down a morally ambiguous Caucasian detective, gaining the trust of the seasoned cop by becoming his new partner.

I’ve learned that there were two versions of the pilot script. In one, the corrupt older detective is Jake Hoyt. It was written to gauge Hawke’s interest in toplining the series. I hear that was not something Hawke — coming off an Oscar nomination for Boyhood — was interested in pursuing, so the alternate version of the script was greenlighted to pilot. In it, the rogue cop is a new character, Frank, while the Deputy Chief is Hoyt. (The pilot addresses the fate of Washington’s Alonzo, who was killed at the end of the movie.)

I hear Hawke has expressed interest in making occasional guest starring appearances, similar to the way Bradley Cooper is reprising his role from the Limitless movie in the CBS drama series between doing features. I hear the way the Deputy Chief character was conceived, it involves more regular presence on the show, so the two sides are currently far apart. But talks continue, and the role is still earmarked for Hawke. The casting breakdown for the pilot released this week features all other characters, including Kyle and Frank, but not the Deputy Chief.

Hawke has a very strong relationship with Fuqua, who is behind the series reboot. (It was Fuqua’s idea to do the neo-noir crime thriller as a TV series.) Hawke earned the first of two acting Oscar nominations for Training Day and also did his only TV pilot to date with Fuqua, headlining the 2011 Fox drama Exit Strategy, which Fuqua directed (it didn’t go to series). Hawke also is starring in Fuqua’s next movie, The Magnificent Seven.

Hawke has been keeping very busy on the feature side, and just signed on to star in the thriller 24 Hours to Live, which will be directed by Brian Smrz.

http://deadline.com/2016/02/training-day-antoine-fuqua-exit-director-danny-cannon-pilot-1201706160/
‘Training Day’: Antoine Fuqua Won’t Helm CBS Pilot; Danny Cannon Set To Direct
by Nellie Andreeva

There is a change in the director’s chair of CBS’ drama pilot Training Day. Antoine Fuqua, director of the acclaimed 2001 feature, had been also slated to direct the pilot. He has now pulled out of helming duties, with Danny Cannon (Gotham) stepping in to direct.

The director change was prompted by a scheduling conflict for Fuqua, who has been working on his upcoming feature The Magnificent Seven and has not been able to pull away to do the pilot. He remains on board as an executive producer on the project he originated. It was Fuqua’s idea to do the neo-noir crime thriller as a TV series. He approached WBTV and also brought on board studio-based Jerry Bruckheimer TV and writer Will Beall.

The feature starred Denzel Washington as a rogue narcotics detective and Ethan Hawke as his rookie cop partner. The TV series project, set 15 years after the film left off, gives the dynamic of the characters a twist. In it, an idealistic young African-American police officer is appointed to an elite squad of the LAPD where he is partnered with a seasoned, morally ambiguous Caucasian detective.

There had been an idea for Hawke to reprise his role as the rogue cop or a Deputy Chief, but that is not happening. The pilot is now casting.

Fuqua and Beall executive produce Training Day with Jerry Bruckheimer TV’s Jerry Bruckheimer and Jonathan Littman for WBTV, Fuqua Films and Jerry Bruckheimer TV. KristieAnne Reed is co-executive producing. Cannon will serve as an executive producer on the pilot. He most recently stayed with Fox/WBTV’s Gotham as an executive producer after directing the pilot. He did the same on CSI and the CW/WBTV’s Nikita, whose pilots he also directed.

Cannon is repped by CAA.
Given that Fuqua was the one shepherding this thing, it's too bad that a scheduling conflict is keeping him from doing it. If it gets past the pilot stage, I wonder if he'll direct some episodes.

Sucks about Hawke too.

Washington should not of won best actor for this.....and can people be more original with making new shows

They tried to get Ethan Hawke involved, so I think it takes place after the events of the film, with or without Hawke.

Katrina Law (Arrow) has been cast opposite Bill Paxton in CBS’ drama pilot Training Day, a present-day reimagining of Antoine Fuqua’s acclaimed 2001 feature.

Set 15 years after the film left off, the TV show, written by Will Beall, centers on an idealistic young African-American police officer, Kyle Craig, is appointed to an elite squad of the LAPD where he is partnered with seasoned, morally ambiguous detective Frank Rourke (Paxton).

Law will play Detective Rebecca Lee, an LAPD officer with the LAPD’s Special Investigation Section (S.I.S.). She was rescued from human traffickers by Frank (Paxton) when she was 4 years old and looks up to him as the father she never had. Cast also includes Drew van Acker as LAPD officer Tommy Campbell.

Law recurs as Nyssa al Ghul the daughter of the notorious leader of the League of Assassins, Ra’s al Ghul on The CW’s Arrow. She is repped by Innovative and Joel Stevens Entertainment.

‘Training Day’: Katrina Law Joins Cast Of CBS Drama Pilot

Looks like her time on Hawaii Five-0 is going to be a short one.
Kind of disappointing but maybe this role will be a better one. Her role on Hawaii 5-O so far has been somewhat repetitive like we saw with Grover.

https://twitter.com/DannyJCannon/status/731249011970048000?lang=en
CiXrGgaUgAARcG4.jpg

Trailer
[YT]6NBd_zitSNI[/YT]

Of all the absolutely terrible trailers for new shows I have watched over the last few days, this one looks the best. And that's probably only because of Bill Paxton. Guy is awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"