WB Developing 'Training Day' Prequel

Pennywise

Avenger
Reaction score
Exclusive: 'Training Day' Prequel in the Works at Warner Bros.

Warner Bros. has tapped Black List scribe Nick Yarborough to write a prequel to the 2001 crime drama Training Day that starred Denzel Washington and Ethan Hawke, Collider has exclusively learned.

Sources tell Collider that the prequel will be set nearly a decade earlier in late April of 1992 — two days before the Rodney King verdict was delivered. Los Angeles was already a powder keg just waiting to explode that week, and the verdict led to the L.A. riots.

The Training Day prequel will follow a younger version of Alonzo Harris, a career-defining role that brought Washington his second Oscar, and his first as a lead. The original film also saw Hawke nominated for Best Supporting Actor for his turn as rookie narcotics detective Jake Hoyt. Antoine Fuqua directed from a script by David Ayer, and the film went on to gross more than $100 million worldwide.

Not sure we need this.

If I want to see a movie involving the LA riots due to the Rodney King verdict I'll watch Dark Blue with Kurt Russell.

If they’re looking for a reason to have Denzel’s son take on one of his dad’s past roles (y’know that’s who they’re aiming for), they should finally do a Devil in a Blue Dress follow-up.

If they’re looking for a reason to have Denzel’s son take on one of his dad’s past roles (y’know that’s who they’re aiming for), they should finally do a Devil in a Blue Dress follow-up.

This. It could spawn an amazing detective noir film series.

If I want to see a movie involving the LA riots due to the Rodney King verdict I'll watch Dark Blue with Kurt Russell.

It's a doc but I just watched Let It Fall on Netflix that covers the L.A. Riots but also what lead up to it in the decade before. It's really great, showing how complex the whole event actually was.

Can’t wait for the scene of young Denzel passing kid Ethan Hawk in a schoolyard standing up to a bully and then giving each other a nod.

Also gotta have a scene of young Denzel being issued a stock 1979 Monte Carlo at the end of the film when he makes detective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"