Transformers Transformers Comic-Con thread

The problem that a lot of fans will have with the transformers movie is that Optimus Prime is not the main character, that little boy is... you may remember him from the cartoon, diminuitive, known for teaming with Bumblebee, well now he's the main guy... he's the story...

Optimus and the gang, and their war is going to be the action backdrop, why do these people fight? And they ARE going to fight, and they're going to blow up a lot of stuff, and it's going to be the coolest transformers action you've ever seen... but with vehicles from the present day, and not from the Eighties.

That will turn off many fans, who don't realize they want a period peice in wanting an exact reproduction of G1 in thsi movie... I mean, I can assure you, everyone who can let go of the parts of Transformers inspired by the eighties will love this movie... the "real" fans, well... it's gonna be a sad day, because ALL of the characters will be "bastardized" by being modernized. Every single one.

i wish i was there to hear Cullen announce he was gonna be in it

I've only followed Beast Wars and the action figures as a child, but now I've been downloading and following some of the older Transformers cartoons and I'm getting really excited now. I hope they bring in all of the notable favorites.

-TNC

GL1 said:
The problem that a lot of fans will have with the transformers movie is that Optimus Prime is not the main character, that little boy is... you may remember him from the cartoon, diminuitive, known for teaming with Bumblebee, well now he's the main guy... he's the story...

Optimus and the gang, and their war is going to be the action backdrop, why do these people fight? And they ARE going to fight, and they're going to blow up a lot of stuff, and it's going to be the coolest transformers action you've ever seen... but with vehicles from the present day, and not from the Eighties.

That will turn off many fans, who don't realize they want a period peice in wanting an exact reproduction of G1 in thsi movie... I mean, I can assure you, everyone who can let go of the parts of Transformers inspired by the eighties will love this movie... the "real" fans, well... it's gonna be a sad day, because ALL of the characters will be "bastardized" by being modernized. Every single one.

Setting a movie in the eighties just because the original show was set in the eighties will alienate a lot of kids who have zero idea what it was like to grow up in the eighties. That equates to almost everyone who was born 86-88 and later because if you were born around that time you would have been too young to remember what it was like.

This is going to be a movie that will incorporate not just G1 but many of the other incarnations of Transformers throughout its rich 20+ year history. Why include just a little over two years of Transformers mythology when they can draw from all of it?

Those "real" fans who aren't open minded enough to modernization will of course be totally devastated by this version of Transformers. If you are one of them I feel sorry for you because I wholely intend to enjoy this movie and will not let a little modernization get in my way of enjoying a 2007 version of a franchise that came out in 1984.

nosebleed said:
Setting a movie in the eighties just because the original show was set in the eighties will alienate a lot of kids who have zero idea what it was like to grow up in the eighties. That equates to almost everyone who was born 86-88 and later because if you were born around that time you would have been too young to remember what it was like.

This is going to be a movie that will incorporate not just G1 but many of the other incarnations of Transformers throughout its rich 20+ year history. Why include just a little over two years of Transformers mythology when they can draw from all of it?

Those "real" fans who aren't open minded enough to modernization will of course be totally devastated by this version of Transformers. If you are one of them I feel sorry for you because I wholely intend to enjoy this movie and will not let a little modernization get in my way of enjoying a 2007 version of a franchise that came out in 1984.

Co-signed,this is how i feel,if there's a good story and spectacular action im fine with updates to the looks as they happened in the comic and TV universe's as well

It's nice to read some well thought out posts once in a while, not just mindless rants. Salute to nosebleed, hunter rider, and GL1, I think you two are some of the most understanding people on this board. I myself feel a little slighted that Prime's not the "right" kind of truck, and that Bumblebee is a Camaro (DAMN that is one HOT car), but I'm mature enough to understand that these guys are trying to turn a CARTOON into a LIVE ACTION movie. So far, we haven't seen much, but I am excited about where this is heading. And for the record, I am a "real" fan, I just have an open mind.

i'm not sure about the whole 're-invention would alienate fans'

beast wars and what came after completely took transfomers and turned it on its head and loads of people loved it.

:o

it could work but you have to realise with all films that change is inevitable but the originals will always be there if one truelly wants to watch that, and for me i think that's fair enough...

And let's not forget that the G1 cartoon wasn't that good I mean I loved it and still do but if we put the nostalgic feel aside, it was just a kids show with some cool robots.

Beats Wars was torn to shreds by transfans when it first came out

but it's accepted now,....

and it was taken well by newer fans which is what the film will try to encompass.

to be fair, the transformers G1 fanbase is tiny, the show captured a certain generation. It can't hold out alone based purely on these bunch of fans.

it's best bet of thriving unfortunately is to cater for the masses, get them all sucked into the universe, and then it can make moves to be more loyal so to speak.

it'll do an 'Singer X-men' so to speak...

November Rain said:
it'll do an 'Singer X-men' so to speak...

I sure do hope it performs better than Singer's X-Men franchise. I really liked X-Men when it first came out but it was a flawed movie with a weak plot. It went about what Magneto wanted for the mutant species all wrong and seemed like a cop out to me. It needed better writers, let's hope Orci and his partner can deliver on a decent story.

I am staying away from any script reviews or leaks as far as this movie is concerned because I don't want any major plot points spoiled for me, but I am optimistic for a great action flick. Something which I feel Singer has a hard time delivering.

My only concern, besides the aesthetics, is the character development of the actual Transformers and how much time they will devote to that. I have no doubt that Shia (who is a great young actor), and the rest of the humans will have adequate character development but I hope that Optimus and the rest of the Transformers will have their equal share.

Just a little background from Don Murphy on the Cullen casting and etc...

Don Murphy said:
Wow what a week… I feel like a long James Joycean ramble… goo goo g’joob…Warners announced the Deadman deal in time for ComicCon … which was okay but weird since we had been working on it for a year and the deal wasn’t done with the DC liaison guy…SHOOT ‘EM UP continues going amazingly… I got to spend the early part of the week with a lifesize, gigantic Megatron which was surreal and so cool you’re all jealous. I mean so cool… started budgeting a new big movie at Warners that we hope we will film next- fingers crossed for Susan and I… and then the Cullen thing. As you all know when we started this grand experiment two years ago, Cullen and Welker were the ONLY Thing you gave me any consensus on. I’m serious, because I read everything you write, no matter how ****ty. And if someone suggested something, half of you would shout it down. And the ONLY thing you overwhelmingly agreed on was that Prime should sound like Prime and Megatron should sound like Megatron. Which makes sense, especially since both actors are alive and well. So I pushed your agenda. As some of you know, that was not an easy one. My own partner advocated celebrity voices. Then I showed him the results of your guys’ input and he immediately joined the bandwagon. Ian Bryce came to the show well in to the process and saw the results and supported immediately. John Rogers needed no prodding god bless his pointed head. One or two Dreamworks executives also supported from relatively early on. The interesting thing is that the director never gave an opinion any way. He had a lot of us telling him that there was no choice, really, the fans had spoken. But he had Skorponok and a lot of people at Dreamworks and Paramount FIGHTING actively not to do it. The forces of Cullen kept the push going. Several weeks he came in and auditioned, which was all anyone could ask the director to do. Then he came back for a meeting. And now, Optimus Prime has his voice back. And there is much rejoicing. I now have people that really don’t like me because of this. But as we learned in this week’s sudden purge at Disney, it is the movie that counts. I have never cared if I was liked- all that anyone remembers is the film. And 14 years later I am still making movies… before you negativists start asking wotup with Welker, hey we are all working on it. Fact is I was told he was harder to arrange audition time with and his schedule--- hell I don’t know. No one wants Cullen without Welker. I will not say that the director has made the decision because he hasn’t. But you see this particular director is one of the most amazing I’ve ever seen work. One day he was shooting on a big city street- five cameras going at once. He set every shot up. He set the extras, hell he OPERATED one of the cameras. My gut tells me that Michael Bay weighs every decision QUITE STRONGLY. You have to remember that. HE finally okayed Cullen once HE was convinced. And should Welker happen, as I know everyone hopes, it will happen when he can make the decision. Which, quite frankly, is not an urgent decision to make at this moment. Hang tight….as far as ComiCon goes- I’ve been going since 1988 when it actually was about Comics. I screened Natural Born Killers there a month early in 1994. It has always been something to look forward to for me. But for the first time, I don’t know, it is just out of control… tens of thousands of people lumbering around. Sometime in the late 90s it doubled in size and became movie con. Then three years ago it tripled in size and stayed Movie con. But it is out of control as I say. Saturday Susan and I left at noon- there was no way to walk in. Some poor bastards were cueing around the building in the hot sun just to register. It was NUTS. And what did one learn at the place? That morbid obesity is a huge problem in the United States? That Marvel couldn’t afford a booth for the fifth year in a row? Now I am not saying I am done with ComicCon but SOMEBODY needs to radically rethink it- stat. And I HATE all the Johnny come lately film execs who come up to you and say “Hey Don and Susan did you find anything?” as if buying a comic book on the floor gives you movie rights or some ****. NO we didn’t find anything. We weren’t looking! EVERY comic book thing we want to do we knew about in advance. We met with the creators we wanted to because they expected us. Between our track record with Comic films and our best friend Gaston at Meltdown Comics in LA we know more about what is ou there than you could ever hope to. So wander around looking for something with a thousand other development execs- you’re wasting your time and ruining the Con….Finally, we are going to add a moderator Monday to this forum. His name is GRIMM and he works for Angryfilms. And he is a super cool cat a real rising star in Hollywood. You know I hate censorship which is why Stan and I almost never censor. But, well, as this goes on I am noticing more and more LIES being posted. Rumors are okay. Bad opinions are fine. LIES about people working on the film, about their private life, etc. that is not okay. So GRIMM will come in here and do some reaping….Happy Sunday Stooges… I am the Eggman… Hang Tight Stooges, Hang Tight!

Mr. Roboto said:
And let's not forget that the G1 cartoon wasn't that good I mean I loved it and still do but if we put the nostalgic feel aside, it was just a kids show with some cool robots.
Except it wasn't. The reaction across the interweb to Peter Cullen's announcement should tell you that much.

Oh and it was a comic, not just a cartoon blah blah blah...

Spark said:
Except it wasn't. The reaction across the interweb to Peter Cullen's announcement should tell you that much.

Oh and it was a comic, not just a cartoon blah blah blah...
What does that have to do with the quality of the show? And the cartoon is more famous than the comics despite the comics being really good. I love Transformers but the cartoon wasn't as good as some people might remember, and if people want a G1 movie they probably want a coward Megatron as well.

Mr. Roboto said:
What does that have to do with the quality of the show? And the cartoon is more famous than the comics despite the comics being really good. I love Transformers but the cartoon wasn't as good as some people might remember, and if people want a G1 movie they probably want a coward Megatron as well.
Nice strawman arguement, but wrong, sorry.

And any show which creates characters as memorable as Transformers did has fulfilled at least half of its objective. That's my point. Plus we're talking about cartoons here, not Oscar material.

I'm not sure why people think a heavily G1 based movie would include Spike wearing yellow boots anymore than a Beast Wars movie would include Rhinox defeating Megatron with a fart.

Spark said:
And any show which creates characters as memorable as Transformers did has fulfilled at least half of its objective. That's my point. Plus we're talking about cartoons here, not Oscar material.
Well there I do have to agree, but my point is that most of the G1 love that people have is just a nostalgic feel, and then they bash the newer versions even though they're better in certain points. Although for some reason theme songs in the 80's were a lot better.
Spark said:
I'm not sure why people think a heavily G1 based movie would include Spike wearing yellow boots anymore than a Beast Wars movie would include Rhinox defeating Megatron with a fart.
It was Megatron thing, in the end of the episode he would always go "Decpticons retreat!", even Starscream joked with it once.

Spark said:
Nice strawman arguement, but wrong, sorry.

A movie heavily G1 would still need vehicle modernization unless it were based in the 80s...which wouldn't make much sense to me. If they did that then it would be niched as another retro 80s movie...and how many of those have you seen successful? :down

That aside, I'd be all for a complete G1 movie set in today's world.

xwolverine2 said:
are we getting anything at comic con?

Nah...not much, just the best announcement since the inception of this production.

went back to the good ol trusty GR avvy eh?

Teaser posters from comic-con:

TFauto.jpg

TFdecept.jpg

there is a shift in my distaste for this film...

i am pleased.

I'd have used "More than meets the eye" instead of "Their war. Our World."

GL1 said:

*gives the drama queen his crown*

Seriously man...change is a good thing. As long as some of the changes are not drastic. While others make sense...I much prefer Megatron as a tank or alien jet over a handgun (which never made sense to me...what if no one was around to pick up the gun? He'd be screwed!)

A real fan is one that enjoys the series...but is flexable..they like change...they like seeing things evolve. Not stuck in the past like some 90 year old alzteimer patient who thinks he's freakin Captain Kirk and pilots his toilet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"