• Rings of Power

Fantasy TV is now The Lord of the Rings!

• We're moving

Heroes are moving to the Movies sections!

Age of Extinction Transformers REBOOT

What if George Lucas made Star Wars to sell toys (he did secure the toy rights before it was popular to do so)?

Star Wars went on to become one of the greatest film franchises in history.

There's really no excuse for poor storytelling.

Neil Blomkamp is my first choice for a director.

The story would still be set on Earth, but I'd jump right into the action with details like how and why they came to Earth left to flashback and exposition.

I'd also keep the current design aesthetic while also focusing on making the characters look a lot more recognizable.

I'd keep Optimus as a long noise truck, but with his traditional colors. I'd also keep Bumblebee as a sports car of some sort, I'm thinking maybe a Dodge Challenger. Plus, I'd lose the mute angle. I like Megatron retaining his Cybertronian alt. mode, so I'm thinking an alien tank. I'd make Starscream an F-35 as it has still has the coolness of an F-22, but is smaller and would allow for a more humanoid proportioned robot mode.

Also, I'd keep Peter Cullen around as Optimus. I'd also bring back Frank Welker for Megatron doing his updated take on the voice.
Neil Blomkamp? The only sci-fi film he's ever done was District 9.

I think a Transformers reboot should be cyber-punk space opera...Basically Star Wars/Animatrix/Neon Genesis mixed in one.

With someone like Alfonso Cuaron or Brad Bird as the director.
Alfonso Cuaron? You mean the guy who directed Prisoner of Askaban

Last edited:
Realistically, I don't see a reboot happening, even without Bay and LaBeouf. Not with the money these movies have made thus far.

That said, for a TF reboot I'd just use the idea I had posted earlier for TF4, since I intended it to serve as both a loose sequel AND/OR a soft reboot anyway.

Look at Spider-man franchise even though the 3rd movie was awful that was a mega franchise and that still got rebooted. I think its just fresh to reboot franchises after 3 movies.

Neil Blomkamp? The only sci-fi film he's ever done was District 9.

To be fair, he's currently making another one. Granted, the jury is still out on how that'll turn out.

Regardless, I think District 9 showed that he could handle live-action TF movie. He showed that he tell a cohesive story and do action scenes. And most importantly, he also succeded in giving CGI characters personalities and heart. Which is one of the biggest flaws with the last three films.

The one thing I want out of the reboot at some point. Dinobots.

I hope to eventually see one reboot, hopefully with no crude jokes. I think humans can have a big role, but it shouldn't be "everymen" like Shia or an out of luck family, if anything, the militar should be the ones getting the spotlight.

I would plan it as a trilogy:

Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye

This would start the same way as the cartoon, pretty much like The Man of Steel. tTe Decepticon need Energon, the war continues on Earth after they wake up and Megatron is defeated. The focus would be more on the transformers, and we should get to see more depth when it comes to Optimus Prime and Megatron. The final battle would be on space and result in Megatron's "death"

Transformers: Reign of Starscream

The battle continues as the Decepticon are now lead by Starscream, Shockwave could appear and they could state that Cybertron was destroyed a long time ago. Dinobots and Insepticon are featured.

Transformers: The Final Battle

Megatron returns as Galvatron, Unicron comes to destroy earth. Optimus Prime sacrífices himself in order to save them.

G.I.Joe should suffer a reboot too, this time being more militar with less super heroics, as Cobra Commander would be mysterious and more like a traditional terrorista.

Then down the line both franchises could crossover.

It would be nice if TF went off world to Cybertron for part of the film.

I think it's about time we see a space battle. I mean:

Transformers: Desert battle/ City battle
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - Desert Final Battle
Transformers: Dark of the Moon - City Final Battle

Since the first movie wasn't really that bad and was probably the best one, I wouldn't totally throw the current continuity out. How about pulling a "Days of Futures Past" by trying something new? Like say:

Beast_Wars_title_logo.jpg

With some time travel we could retcon ROTF and DOTM out of existence?

I would like to see a reboot of Generation 1 movies, but i wouldn't mind going with Beast Wars and keeping the old continuity for now, i don't see a reason to force retcons on the films after the first one though, the main Autobots vs Decepticons storyline in those isn't that bad, it's only the humans and the way the story is presented what drags it down.

I think it's about time we see a space battle. I mean:

Transformers: Desert battle/ City battle
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - Desert Final Battle
Transformers: Dark of the Moon - City Final Battle

I agree...It was already stated that Cybertron is still around. May as well show the battles taking place on the homeworld.

Since the first movie wasn't really that bad and was probably the best one, I wouldn't totally throw the current continuity out. How about pulling a "Days of Futures Past" by trying something new? Like say:

Beast_Wars_title_logo.jpg

With some time travel we could retcon ROTF and DOTM out of existence?

Oh, the first and second movie sucked. The third one was the best out of the three by far and that is not saying much.

I agree...It was already stated that Cybertron is still around. May as well show the battles taking place on the homeworld.

Meh...I'd rather that Cybertron was gone forever, frankly, if for no other reason than to finally get this franchise away from using Yet Another Quest For Ancient Buried Space Crap as an excuse for a plot. Who knows, maybe it would finally fill the Decepticons with enough inexorable hatred for Earth and the Autobots that they might actually become a genuine threat in this franchise again instead of relative wimps who drop like a rock the second we fleshies land a crotch-shot with our relative pea-shooters.

Oh, the first and second movie sucked. The third one was the best out of the three by far and that is not saying much.
I personally prefer the first movie; the third one IMO spent too much of its time trying half-^$$edly to apologize for the second one: "Yeah, folks, um, sorry about the Twins, and all that 'I Love You' stuff that's now moot since Megan's not in this one, and Devastator's balls...but hey, we got Spock this time! And Buzz Aldrin! And John Malkovich! And a full-blown alien invasion! And yet more alien-conspiracy stuff!"

Come to think of it, here are my recommendations for taking a TF film franchise in a fresh direction (at least for this particular franchise):

1. Again, I cannot stress this point enough: GET RID OF THE ANCIENT BURIED SPACE CRAP. We get it now, Bay: they were here millions of years ago. Move the eff on.
2. Completely and utterly eradicate the Stoopid Humor. It's possible to make a sci-fi popcorn flick funny without resorting to robots humping hot chicks' legs...or giving them balls.
3. Autobot Holo-Avatars. This would give the Autobots more screen time without resorting to full-on CGI, and might provide, y'know, actual character development.
4. Give us a Decepticon leader who isn't an over-the-top crazy (Megatron circa 2007) or a complete wuss (Megatron circa 2011), and DON'T rush to kill him off when you'll probably have to bring him back next time.

I'll add that, if you're gonna kill Megatron, kill him with style, make an epic battle one on one between him and Optimus, not a 7 seconds slaughter as has been done in the previous films.

After Bay leaves, the next Director is going to have a large problem in trying to get much of the audience back, if he doesn't deliver as much spectacle, people will not go back, if he delivers too much spectacle, it will mean the film will be as dumb as the previous ones, and considering that spectacle is what Bay is good at, the next director may end up feeling like a second tier Michael Bay.

Come to think of it, here are my recommendations for taking a TF film franchise in a fresh direction (at least for this particular franchise):

1. Again, I cannot stress this point enough: GET RID OF THE ANCIENT BURIED SPACE CRAP. We get it now, Bay: they were here millions of years ago. Move the eff on.
2. Completely and utterly eradicate the Stoopid Humor. It's possible to make a sci-fi popcorn flick funny without resorting to robots humping hot chicks' legs...or giving them balls.
3. Autobot Holo-Avatars. This would give the Autobots more screen time without resorting to full-on CGI, and might provide, y'know, actual character development.
4. Give us a Decepticon leader who isn't an over-the-top crazy (Megatron circa 2007) or a complete wuss (Megatron circa 2011), and DON'T rush to kill him off when you'll probably have to bring him back next time.

I can agree with most of this. However, I still think they need to go off world whether in a backstory or during the course of the movie. I'm tired of earth and if you want to get rid of the buried space crap that ties tfs to humans/earth then going off world to make all the more sense. Plus that could cut down on the human element/interaction a bit.

I hope to eventually see one reboot, hopefully with no crude jokes. I think humans can have a big role, but it shouldn't be "everymen" like Shia or an out of luck family, if anything, the militar should be the ones getting the spotlight.

I would plan it as a trilogy:

Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye

This would start the same way as the cartoon, pretty much like The Man of Steel. tTe Decepticon need Energon, the war continues on Earth after they wake up and Megatron is defeated. The focus would be more on the transformers, and we should get to see more depth when it comes to Optimus Prime and Megatron. The final battle would be on space and result in Megatron's "death"

Transformers: Reign of Starscream

The battle continues as the Decepticon are now lead by Starscream, Shockwave could appear and they could state that Cybertron was destroyed a long time ago. Dinobots and Insepticon are featured.

Transformers: The Final Battle

Megatron returns as Galvatron, Unicron comes to destroy earth. Optimus Prime sacrífices himself in order to save them.

G.I.Joe should suffer a reboot too, this time being more militar with less super heroics, as Cobra Commander would be mysterious and more like a traditional terrorista.

Then down the line both franchises could crossover.

This would pretty much be perfect.

I too would like the origin from the comics/cartoon; with them crashing into a volcano and being buried in it.

I haven't read them, but the idea of the IDW rebooted comics seems interesting too if they want to make it more of a mysterious type of film than a straightforward space epic. There, the Transformers have just arrived to Earth and are in a Cold war type of scenario where there's barelly any confrontation between the two factions, and then they also have to worry about not being found out by humans. You could even do it like the Marvel comics where the Autobots are underdogs not very well prepared for war, so when one of them encounders a Decepticon it's almost the same result as when somebody found an Agent in the Matrix films: "You run as fast as you can".

Considering these two are usually the 2nd most popular characters of the Autobots and the Decepticons respectivelly, i would like to see Bumblebee facing Starscream.

Another thing, anybody else thinks that they could get away with filming the bot actors doing the movements in motion capture a la Gollum and Davy Jones, and then changed into the bots in post-Production?

Last edited:
Oh, and no matter how bad Bay's era was, it will get a major stygma unless it offers a fresh new experience like the recent Godzilla reboot. And then, most of the public of these films may end up being disapointed in seeing a Transformers film with not as incredible special effects or with less focus on the military.

When the inevitable reboot transitating from Michael Bay to a new Director comes out, i see a similar situation to Spider-Man happening, where a high priority franchise close to getting the top 1 of the box-office suddenly loses much of its steam and has to win its audience back.

i would love for a reboot and the decepticons treated with more respect but the movies are making a killing in the box office so I see no reason for the studio to consider a reboot unless TF4 bombs which is highly unlikely

If Michael Bay leaves, i can see the studio rebooting it like SONY did with Spider-Man once Sam Raimi left. Not sure what you mean about the Decepticons though, in the 3rd film one of the human characters even wondered why the cons get all the best weapons.

While thinking about it, i think that when a reboot happens, they need to Spielbergize the films again, i know the first film has a sort of DNA from him, but the films have already gotten too used to epic battles, it needs to go back to basics, that's why i don't think that the The Man of Steel way of doing the first 30 minutes in Cybertron isn't the best way to go.

I think they need to make it more like Iron Giant, Super 8 or E.T. by extablishing a connection with the audience first and only then going into the action bits. It's important to make the scale and size of the bots matter and make the film look like an event, as the new Godzilla film seems to be doing. You need to atract the people who weren't fans of the Bay era by going more emotional, not bigger in scale, though i still think that the climatic battle should be in space.

Good thing for those that don't like Bay's era is that if you ever reboot it and feature the Shattered Glass concept, evil Optimus Prime could be the one from Bayformers, considering his behavior is turning more and more villainous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"