Transit: Further proof Jim Caviezel forgot how to act

Rowsdower!

Avenger
Reaction score
Here's the trailer for the upcoming movie Transit, starring Jim Caviezel. It looks like your typical generic B-movie action "thriller" about a guy trying to save his family after they become unknowingly involved in transporting some stolen money. Now, I know that it is unfair to judge acting by a trailer alone because sometimes they are edited in weird ways that make an actor's performance feel awkward. Speeches are taken out of context, lines are cut, etc. Nevertheless, I couldn't help but laugh at Jim Caviezel's attempts here to act intense or shocked. He just comes off silly. And this isn't the first time.

I know that someone will instantaneously appear here and tell me about how brilliant he is on Person of Interest. Well, I've watch that show. And I'm sorry, but Jim just flat-out bored the hell out of me there. Subtlety is a key component of good acting, but to me, Caviezel just drifts through scenes like he barely has a pulse. These are just my opinions, however... feel free to contradict me.

The thing is, I think Jim USED to be a good actor, like really good. I don't know what has happened to him in the last 10 years, but I remember being really impressed by some of his earlier work, like The Passion of the Christ and The Count of Monte Cristo. But now I wonder where that talent has gone. It's what makes me roll my eyes when I see someone else on this board fancast him in yet another iconic superhero role that he has zero chance of ever landing.

As for the rest of this film, it's always fun to see James Frain in a villainous role, so I might check the movie out on Blu-Ray just for that. And it's also nice to see my #1 Law & Order crush, Elizabeth Rohm, acting again, even if it is in the cliched role of the b**chy wife character whose stupid actions turn a bad situation into deadly one. Also, good to see Lost's Harold Perrineau again.

http://collider.com/transit-trailer-jim-caviezel/157905/

So, are we to add the 'Jesus curse' to the list of film curses? That no actor portaying Jesus goes onto do any notable roles...

the list so far...

'Superman curse' - actors portraying Superman go on to do no more notable roles...and can get into some mishaps...

'Punisher curse' - the three directors of the 3 punisher films have so far not went onto make another movie...

'Jim Carrey-less sequel curse' - any sequel to a Jim Carrey hit not starring Carrey flops at the BO and is critically mauled...

I guess Willem Dafoe dodged that Jesus curse though, he has done lots of notable work since, maybe the curse doesn't apply if you are named Willem, haha.
Or, maybe it is a 'New Testament/Jesus' curse, as Willem portrayed what is blantantly advertised as a fictional account of the life of Jesus, as opposed to the New Testament's account is held up to be.

Maybe the estate of Jesus don't mind as long as you say it is fictional, but they don't like you trying to say 'this is what happened', as the filmakers don't actually know.

Well, Christian Bale played Jesus and he's doing well. But a lot of actors have played Jesus, so it's probably tough to gauge how many have been successful and how many haven't. But yeah, that was the last thing I've seen Caviezel in where I thought he was good, so maybe you are on to something there.

He is awesome in Person Of Interest

Well, Christian Bale played Jesus and he's doing well. But a lot of actors have played Jesus, so it's probably tough to gauge how many have been successful and how many haven't. But yeah, that was the last thing I've seen Caviezel in where I thought he was good, so maybe you are on to something there.

Wasn't that one of those tv movie type deals he played Jesus in though? One of those 'send away for our vhs of the new Jesus adventures , not available in shops!' Maybe for the curse to work it has to be a high profile cinema gig.
and as I was saying, Willem Dafoe doesn't count, as that was not based on the Bible.

Max Von Sydow is one who kept his career going fairly strong after playing Jesus.

Wasn't that one of those tv movie type deals he played Jesus in though? One of those 'send away for our vhs of the new Jesus adventures , not available in shops!' Maybe for the curse to work it has to be a high profile cinema gig.
and as I was saying, Willem Dafoe doesn't count, as that was not based on the Bible.

I'm not sure but that makes me wonder if the actor who played Bibleman ever went anywhere in his career after that gig was up.

look in hollywood its hard for a 40 year old actor to get a role in a good movie. its hard to make a good movie where the actor can be over 40.

yes i understand that we are debating. and lets have a long debate. but we will have to realize that its not so easy to get into movies in hollywood and its hard to be in good movies. and at the end of the day acting is their job. so sometimes they make a movie only for the money. they have to eat.

The question isn't whether he can land good roles anymore. It's whether or not his acting is up to par, regardless of the role. I've seen a good actor turn a bad movie into a watchable and perhaps even a fun one. I think Caviezel once had that ability (I thought Frequency was pretty dumb but Caviezel and Dennis Quaid made it worth watching).

Also, I don't think it's as hard for 40+ male actors to land roles as you're suggesting. I would say it's tough for female actors to land quality lead roles over 40 (which is completely unfair) but male actors are a different story.

i watched Person of Interest and his acting is good. so he didnt forget acting IMO.

The question isn't whether he can land good roles anymore. It's whether or not his acting is up to par, regardless of the role. I've seen a good actor turn a bad movie into a watchable and perhaps even a fun one. I think Caviezel once had that ability (I thought Frequency was pretty dumb but Caviezel and Dennis Quaid made it worth watching).

Also, I don't think it's as hard for 40+ male actors to land roles as you're suggesting. I would say it's tough for female actors to land quality lead roles over 40 (which is completely unfair) but male actors are a different story.

I have to say, this is the first time when I have seen someone start a thread just to slag off one actor's craft. It's not even something that is remarkable to a lot of people, in fact, it seems to be a personal bugbear of your own, as you posted a pre-emptive defence for people coming in to say his acting is good in this tv show 'Person Of Interest'.

Couldn't you just have posted this opinion in a 'person of interest' thread?
I mean, you're not even talking about this movie, all you are doing is ploughing a very narrow one man furrow here, what kind of responses did you expect to get? This is just feels like you having a personal vent, and taking up a thread to do it in.

Caviezel was supposed to be that next big thing, man. His name was bandied around for every other lead role back in the day. Don't know what happened with all that honestly.

I have to say, this is the first time when I have seen someone start a thread just to slag off one actor's craft. It's not even something that is remarkable to a lot of people, in fact, it seems to be a personal bugbear of your own, as you posted a pre-emptive defence for people coming in to say his acting is good in this tv show 'Person Of Interest'.

Couldn't you just have posted this opinion in a 'person of interest' thread?
I mean, you're not even talking about this movie, all you are doing is ploughing a very narrow one man furrow here, what kind of responses did you expect to get? This is just feels like you having a personal vent, and taking up a thread to do it in.

I don't think this is the first time someone has created a thread like this, but I'm not 100% certain of that.

As for the responses I expected to get, I think (and you referenced this) that I was clear from my original post that I expected some people to disagree with me, and that's fine.

Anyway, regarding the movie itself, it oddly reminds me of something I'd see on the SyFy Channel, only with the bad sci-fi elements replaced with lame car chases. Many of those films consist of people running around the same 3 acres of wooded land for two hours, which is how this looks to me.

I don't think this is the first time someone has created a thread like this, but I'm not 100% certain of that.

As for the responses I expected to get, I think (and you referenced this) that I was clear from my original post that I expected some people to disagree with me, and that's fine.

Anyway, regarding the movie itself, it oddly reminds me of something I'd see on the SyFy Channel, only with the bad sci-fi elements replaced with lame car chases. Many of those films consist of people running around the same 3 acres of wooded land for two hours, which is how this looks to me.

Yeah, you expected 'some' people to disagee, it sounds more like you expected no-one to agree with you, hence, the thread being a one man narrow furrow you are ploughing, no solid opposing viewpoints to hang a debate on. Just you on a one man vent.

If it's not, then where is the discussion?

If I was a mod, I'd close this thread, just my two cents.

Well, I guess it's a good thing you're not a mod, then.

Well, that remains to be seen, so far, this has proven to be nothing more than a one man vent thread of your personal bugbear. If I were a mod, I'd wait and see if I was wrong about the nature of this thread, if a solid discussion arises out of it, fine, but right now, it looks like an attention seeking way of expressing your personal opinion that does not warrant it's own thread.
This is the kind of opinion that could have taken up one post in the 'person of interest' thread.

There doesn't seem to be material here that is solid enough to hang a debate on, just a one man vent, it's not like you started a movie discussion.
What if we all started threads on these idiosyncratic opinions we have? The boards would be a mess.

Look, there's terry 78 has expressed a viewpoint since I questioned the validity of your thread, why not reply to him and get your discussion kickstarted?

Fair enough.

Caviezel was supposed to be that next big thing, man. His name was bandied around for every other lead role back in the day. Don't know what happened with all that honestly.

Yeah, I'm not sure what happened either. The Passion film was clearly polarizing for many people; I know that Mel Gibson took a lot of flack for that (and after he made some very offensive comments, it certainly didn't help his cause) though I don't know if Caviezel's career also suffered because of it. I believe he pursued some significant superhero roles, but they didn't happen. he was (I think) supposed to play Cyclops but supposedly bailed out after he realized that the character wasn't written very well. He also tried to land the Superman role in SR but Singer was set on Brandon Routh. Not sure if either of those events hurt his career.

Aye, I guess it's better to change the nature of the thread around to his career decisions, rather than his acting skills.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"