Tribute to a friend...

Daisy

Gone
Reaction score
A dear friend of mine passed away this morning. He was 93, and had lived a full, rich life, pretty much right up to the end. I'm not sad for him, but I am for myself because I will miss him. He was a very supportive and caring friend. I take comfort, though, in knowing that my life has been enriched by having him in it.

He was a poet and I thought I'd take this opportunity to share one of his poems. It demonstrates his attitude toward life.

STEALTHY DAYS

The stealthy days come on in their usual fashion,
sneaking through May, approaching the summer solstice.
By the time that comes

I will have had another late-life birthday.
Well, I say, so what! Things keep happening,
things of interest.

It was only last week I put into words my affection
for Darwin and William James--based on their openness,
their unpretentiousness.

And discoveries! My new admiration: the lovely books
designed by Leonard Baskin, now on display
at the Library of Congress.

These small epiphanies seem to me OK things,
and these stealthy days--I've never wanted to slow them,
only to fill them.

Robert Sargent (1913-2006)

Rest in peace, my friend.

Cool title for the poem. I'm sorry you can't talk to your friend anymore. Whoever invented mortality was an ass****.

Darthphere said:
Thanks.
Wilhelm-Scream said:
Cool title for the poem. I'm sorry you can't talk to your friend anymore. Whoever invented mortality was an ass****.
He was a pretty cool guy. I will miss him a lot.

EDIT: I'd really rather this thread didn't turn into a discussion of Anna Nicole and since others don't seem to be able to ignore things... I'll just have to deal with it myself.

I hope to live to be 93, but probably will only make 39 due to my unlimited consumption of lard :(

Daisy said:
Thanks.

He was a pretty cool guy. I will miss him a lot.

EDIT: I'd really rather this thread didn't turn into a discussion of Anna Nicole and since others don't seem to be able to ignore things... I'll just have to deal with it myself.

SORRY 'DAISY'.......JUST TRYING TO LIGHTEN THE MOOD A BIT. :O

musclesforsupes said:
I hope to live to be 93, but probably will only make 39 due to my unlimited consumption of lard :(

Yeah, that could be a problem.

THWIP* said:
SORRY 'DAISY'.......JUST TRYING TO LIGHTEN THE MOOD A BIT. :O

I know, that's why I didn't get upset and just ignored you initially, but others didn't have the ability.

He just died about 8 hours ago, and I was told about 4 hours ago, so it's all very fresh for me.

Daisy, I'm sorry for your loss. Good friends are few and far between in this world and it's painful for us when they slip this mortal coil and move on to new explorations without us. Smile and know that wherever he is, he's still that poet and person you knew and loved and is sharing what he has to offer with a whole new group of friends. :up:

jag

Condolences to you, Daisy......and to Mr. Sargent's family too.

I hate when people die. It pisses me off.

Sorry Daisy :( He must have been very close to you

On a somehwat related note I knew a guy with the last name Sargent he was a Colonel in the Army, Col. Sargent. I always giggled.

Real sorry for the loss, good friends are hard to come by.

Sorry, Daisy. I'm glad you can find enrichment from your friend's life in this difficult time.

Sorry to hear about your loss daisy. My condolences to you.

I'm sorry to hear that Daisy, my condolence to you

Sorry to hear about your loss Daisy. I wish you and his family the best. That was a beautiful poem, was he ever published?

I'm sorry to hear for your loss Daisy. You have my condolences.

I'm sorry Daisy, I hope you take comfort knowing he is in a better place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"