'True Lies' Series In The Works With James Cameron Producing.

https://deadline.com/2021/09/true-l...ndez-mike-ogorman-cbs-drama-pilot-1234847493/

Omar Miller (Ballers) Erica Hernandez (Mission Unstoppable) and Mike O’Gorman (Vice Principals) are set as series regulars opposite Steve Howey and Ginger Gonzaga in True Lies, the CBS drama pilot adaptation of James Cameron’s 1994 action comedy movie starring Arnold Schwarzenegger and Jamie Lee Curtis.

Written by Matt Nix and to be directed by Anthony Hemingway, the pilot’s plot is true to its movie roots: Shocked to discover that her bland and unremarkable computer consultant husband (Howey) is a skilled international spy, an unfulfilled suburban housewife (Gonzaga) is propelled into a life of danger and adventure when she’s recruited to work alongside him to save the world as they try to revitalize their passionless marriage.

Miller will play Gib, the logistics guy for the group. It’s his job to make sure everyone knows their duties and the missions go smoothly. Dry-witted but all business, he shows up unexpectedly at a barbecue at Harry’s home to discuss a dangerous new assignment, while also enjoying the hors d’oeuvres.

Hernandez will portray Maria, another of the operatives working with Harry (Howey). Tough and capable, she is a cool-headed, first class spy. But she never misses a chance to get in a dig at Luther’s expense, reminding him of something that went down between them while on a mission in Berlin.

O’Gorman is Luther. Also posing as a computer salesman, O’Gorman is an undercover operative who works with Harry (Howey) at the Omega Sector. Smoothly confident with a dry wit, he’s good at his job, despite some tension between himself and fellow operative, Maria. Luther fears that Harry being married could cause some issues and that’s why operatives, as a rule, remain single.

So, this thing'll basically be the Lethal Weapon or Rush Hour series level I'm guessing.

But ehh, Nix is the The Gifted dude, right? That was semi-sorta-okay for the most part.

Thought it would be cool if Arnold had a cameo in this, perhaps in the Director Spencer Trilby role that Charlton Heston played in the original movie

MV5BYzI1NDFiNzAtNTY0Mi00YTkzLWE1YjEtOGI2MWJjYTUzZDQ1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzc5NjM0NA@@._V1_.jpg

He was also behind Burn Notice so at least he has decent experience in running a spy series.

The series premieres tonight at 10pm!

I still watch a number of network shows. I guess I find the formulaic structure (e.g., the “police procedural”) to be a kind of “comfort food.” Not fancy. Not ground-breaking TV. But still enjoyable. (Just recently, I decided to give Will Trent a try. It’s variation on the quirky-but-gifted detective theme. And it’s decent.) So… I was thinking and hoping that True Lies might be to my tastes: lightweight but entertaining “comfort TV.”

But based on the first episode… nope. IMO, it was utterly bland.

I didn't even realize this was out yet... I wish it was a show on HBO with Arnold back, especially since he's now doing another show anyway.

I watched the first 3 episodes on Friday, Ginger Gonzaga is good and by far the highlight of the show but it's bland and feels at least a decade out of date with how it's shot, I'd be shocked if it got a second season.

I mostly agree except I think a decade is chairitable. And I am positive it will not get a second season. I gave up around episode 5.

As anticipated...

‘True Lies’ Canceled After One Season At CBS – Deadline

To the extent that the movie worked, its main strength was Helen gradually discovering her husband’s secret life as a super spy. And along the way, action and hijinks ensue. Eventually, in the film’s coda, Helen and Harry are now a super spy couple — their romance revitalized. But I think it’s debatable whether a sequel would have been viable, given that the central premise was essentially resolved (in the first movie). In any case… the TV series compressed this main plot into the pilot episode. So everything beyond that was “sequel.”

I feel bad for Ginger. She’s so charismatic and funny. She deserves to be a lead on a better show.

(Although, as much as I like her, I actually never bothered to watch this because I knew it would suck.)

And suck it did. I was willing to give it time but no amount of time was going to help.

As anticipated...

‘True Lies’ Canceled After One Season At CBS – Deadline

To the extent that the movie worked, its main strength was Helen gradually discovering her husband’s secret life as a super spy. And along the way, action and hijinks ensue. Eventually, in the film’s coda, Helen and Harry are now a super spy couple — their romance revitalized. But I think it’s debatable whether a sequel would have been viable, given that the central premise was essentially resolved (in the first movie). In any case… the TV series compressed this main plot into the pilot episode. So everything beyond that was “sequel.”
News that should surprise absolutely no one

I usually can’t summon the emotion to truly despise any TV show. Typically, my worst reaction is “Meh, not that good.” And that’s the case for True Lies. It kinda reminded me of those old dumb action/comedies from the 70s and 80s like The A-Team, Dukes of Hazard, Knight Rider, etc. Problem is, this ain’t the 70s/80s. So a series with that same sensibility is a tad...anachronistic.

The movie was also kinda dumb. But it had two big assets: Arnold and big budget/James Cameron action. Needless to say, the series had neither.

Yeah, I think what a lot of these “tv reboots” miss is that it’s not just the premise, but the casting WITH that premise. It’s Arnold as the secret spy who’s pretending to be in software. Not generic tv actor #15 lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"