TV Land has jumped the shark...

Matt

IKYN Guy Groupie
Reaction score
With Nick-At-Nite becoming crappy 90s sitcoms instead of classics (It's only a matter of time before King of Queens, Still Standing, and According to Jim make their way there :eek:) TV Land has seemed to be the one refuge for people who still want to watch CLASSIC TV shows. No more it seems. They are now playing Just Shoot Me regularly. It is only a matter of time before other mediocre, more recent shows start to worm their way in :csad:

Yeah. I hate the Nick at Nite lineup. They forgot their audience.

Yeah, Just Shoot Me is just about the least classic show I've ever seen. I mean, if you went up to people on the streets and asked them to name a character from JSM, no one could do it.

Neena (or however it's spelt). I liked that character, she reminded me of me.

wtf? Nick at night rocks! 'Fresh Prince' and 'Home Improvement'. Couldn't get any better than that. Where else would we now 90s gen. get to watch the shows we grew up with in repeats?

Srry your TV Land has jumped the shark, but us 90s gen deserve to be able to watch our sits as well.

I don't know... the 90's is only 7-17 years ago... not nearly enough time for a real classic feeling. Not enough to make it reside in some perfect classical world called "TV Land."

I could let the Cosby show slide, since it was such an undeniable favorite with so many people and the show had heart on several levels. It keeps the idealism of older shows, and it's just plain entertaining.

After that, things get a bit hazy. Fresh Prince? Some people grew up with it, but a lot of it is very contemporary and Will Smith is still a big star right now... so he can't very nostalgic, he's still got blockbuster movies coming out. So that's pushing it.

Same with Home Improvement, it's WAAAY to contemporary... I mean, how old are the people who grew up on that? 20s, maybe? You barely even know what nostalgia is at 20.

Beyond that, it's foolishness. In short, TV Land is not where a show should get it's first syndication.

Yeah 20s. But, YOU have TV Land- why can't we at least have Nick at Night? Do you honestly need two channels with all repeats from your childhood/teenage years? Don't think so. As said pity on TV Land- but, we'll keep our NAN.

As said, don't agree with TV Land switching it up, but don't understand the negativity towards Nick at Night from the 1st two posts. It's meant to bring back older shows that people will remember watching years back- and that's what they still do. As for the really old TV shows- that's what TV Land should be for.

And yeah, 19+ may seem young still, but trust me we do understand nostalgia. Look around on any college campus, and you're bound to find MANY tuned in to Nick-at-night to re-live the old days. We may be young, but we have them too. :cwink:

I don't like nick at nite any more. i only watch it for home inprovment. sometimes i watch fresh prince. i only stand the younger epsiodes. TV Land isn't good as it used to be. they even just add just shoot me. i think they should put it on nick atnite not tv land. I think they should make nick at nite 24 hours. they could show the classics shows during the day and the modern show during the nite. i heard that family matters coming in march. I would like to see haning with mr cooper or boy meets world on nick at nite.

Yeah 20s. But, YOU have TV Land- why can't we at least have Nick at Night? Do you honestly need two channels with all repeats from your childhood/teenage years? Don't think so. As said pity on TV Land- but, we'll keep our NAN.

As said, don't agree with TV Land switching it up, but don't understand the negativity towards Nick at Night from the 1st two posts. It's meant to bring back older shows that people will remember watching years back- and that's what they still do. As for the really old TV shows- that's what TV Land should be for.

And yeah, 19+ may seem young still, but trust me we do understand nostalgia. Look around on any college campus, and you're bound to find MANY tuned in to Nick-at-night to re-live the old days. We may be young, but we have them too. :cwink:

Nick-at-nite is supposed to be about more than nostalgia. It is supposed to be about classics. Home Improvement, Fresh Prince, and George Lopez (which seems to be the only three shows they play now), while good shows are NOT classics. Now if they were playing Seinfeld, or even Friends, you may have a point. But not with Home Improvement, Fresh Prince and George Lopez.

Well, not George Lopez- but Home Improvement and Fresh Prince? Definitely. They should add Seinfield to the list of shows, but I think the reason they don't is because FOX airs the repeats of it. They should find some other show besides George Lopez though. Boy Meets World, Erkel, Family Matters, etc. would be good choices. Only watch Home Improvement and Fresh Prince on NAN. Have TV Land be all classic and Nick be more modernized nostalgia classic. That way everyone wins.

Well, not George Lopez- but Home Improvement and Fresh Prince? Definitely. They should add Seinfield to the list of shows, but I think the reason they don't is because FOX airs the repeats of it. They should find some other show besides George Lopez though. Only watch Home Improvement and Fresh Prince.

Home Improvement never entered the range of classic TV, nor did Fresh Prince. Funny? Yes. Entertaining? Yes. In the same range as shows like Seinfeld, and Cheers and Lucy and M*A*S*H? Hell no. Like GL1 said, anyway...to call them "classic" there atleast has to be some time for reflection. Fresh Prince ended just over 10. Home Improvement ended 8 years ago. They are still contemporary It is not enough time to determine the historical importance of these shows and or how the quality holds up over time. Cheers, despite being an 80s sitcom is still funny. Lucy, despite being made decades ago, still funny. Happy Days, same thing. M*A*S*H, still great. Seinfeld is probably the one exception to the rule of the 90s as it is an "instant classic." Whatever "It" is, Seinfeld has it. It doesn't need any kind of reflection period. Besides, if you must have 90s sitcoms on TV Land, there are much better ones than Fresh Prince and cookie-cutter Home Improvement. There is 3rd Rock From The Sun, Fraiser, Friends, Seinfeld, Roseanne (who I believe enjoyed a brief stint on N-A-N. All of these rank higher on the "classic" scale than Home Improvement and Fresh Prince.

Don't understand the reason for not a lot of variety of older shows, but I think it may have to deal with syndication $ and all of that. Seinfield is still on every night, I believe, on Fox. Think the same goes for 'Friends' and TBS at 7 or somewhere around there. So that could be the case, have no idea. But, for me the two shows I remember the most and get the most nostalgia from are 'Home Improvement' (older episodes) and 'Fresh Prince.' They just seem a lot older... Also another show they could perhaps easily get- 'Dinosaurs.' Never see that on TV anymore.

So think it all comes down to syndication and which shows aren't repeated on other channels that much and all that.

Network TV should just start a station. Start with the really old shows and work their way up.

They are now playing Just Shoot Me regularly.

The show ain't THAT bad. :huh:

if you went up to people on the streets and asked them to name a character from JSM, no one could do it.

They would just say David Spade. lol. :o

wtf? Nick at night rocks! 'Fresh Prince' and 'Home Improvement'. Couldn't get any better than that.

It would be awesome if it wasn't for the fact that they air Fresh Prince 4 hours a night!!!

Home Improvement never entered the range of classic TV, nor did Fresh Prince.

What are you talking about? Both shows are awesome! I think they are classics. :huh:

Don't understand the reason for not a lot of variety of older shows, but I think it may have to deal with syndication $ and all of that. Seinfield is still on every night, I believe, on Fox. Think the same goes for 'Friends' and TBS at 7 or somewhere around there. So that could be the case, have no idea. But, for me the two shows I remember the most and get the most nostalgia from are 'Home Improvement' (older episodes) and 'Fresh Prince.' They just seem a lot older... Also another show they could perhaps easily get- 'Dinosaurs.' Never see that on TV anymore.

So think it all comes down to syndication and which shows aren't repeated on other channels that much and all that.

Network TV should just start a station. Start with the really old shows and work their way up.

Nostalgia does not equal classic television.

Ohh this situation reminds what G$ did when started showing Jamie Kennedy Xp or Arrested Development or Cops. G4 for "was" gamers but lost or forgot about their audience as well I even go as far SciFi Channel with Wrestling, Why wrestling of all things?

because it's not just wrestling, it's luke wrestling greedo or a terminator wrestling the robot from I Am Robot. It's a giant sci-fi wrestling stunt dude!

Actually no idea, just find it odd sci-fi has wrestling. lol.

I liked it when it use to play The Andy Griffin Show, Gilligan's Island and Happy Days. Good times.

I miss Threes Company and Facts of Life. I love Fresh Prince though. I don't mind that on. But George Lopez? Come on! What a bad show.

They should just have seperate tv land channels for each decade.

Didn't TV Land use to show old commercials too, just so it could have that Nostalgic feel to it? That's why TV Land was created, so Nick at Nite could have most of the more modern shows while TV Land had the classics.

Funny thing about the 90s though, not only was Nickelodeon great at that time, but so was Nick at Nite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"