Superman Returns Ugh! Watched STM then SR....

X-Maniac

High Evolutionary
Reaction score
What a mistake to watch STM and then SR.

It's the terrible plagiarism. Lois rescued from aircraft disaster, then faints, then Superman's 'statistically speaking'. And so on. Then i have to see the same things in SR. It just feels WRONG, especially since SR is essentially a new story and not a remake.

Some may call it 'homage', I call it horrid. Why in God's name did Bryan Singer take entire concepts and pieces of dialogue like this? It just feels stupid and shamelessly derivative.

I have to add that Marlon Brando's acting and dialogue at the start of STM were awesome. Even with the age of the movie and a slightly dated feel, there was pure emotion in those scenes. Wonderfully done.

Here's hoping for a lot more ORIGINALITY in the next Superman movie.

Is it customary around here for someone to create a thread everytime that person or someone that person knows watches SR?

you have to take into account that the two films were made 28 years apart. personally I love the 'statistically speaking' line. I thought it was such a great way for Superman to communicate something personal to Lois while still reassuring the rest of the passengers. it was if he was saying "hey, I know I've been gone but remember this? remember us? me rescuing you, this was kind of 'our thing'.".

It's the terrible plagiarism. Lois rescued from aircraft disaster, then faints, then Superman's 'statistically speaking'. And so on. Then i have to see the same things in SR. It just feels WRONG, especially since SR is essentially a new story and not a remake.

Some may call it 'homage', I call it horrid. Why in God's name did Bryan Singer take entire concepts and pieces of dialogue like this? It just feels stupid and shamelessly derivative.

I have to add that Marlon Brando's acting and dialogue at the start of STM were awesome. Even with the age of the movie and a slightly dated feel, there was pure emotion in those scenes. Wonderfully done.

exactly what I'm thinking

you have to take into account that the two films were made 28 years apart. personally I love the 'statistically speaking' line. I thought it was such a great way for Superman to communicate something personal to Lois while still reassuring the rest of the passengers. it was if he was saying "hey, I know I've been gone but remember this? remember us? me rescuing you, this was kind of 'our thing'.".

Well thats how i viewed the scene anyway, he was kind of reminding Lois of their first meeting, while at the same time addressing the others.

Anyway watching STM and SR back to back is no were near as bad as watching X2 and X3 back to back. UGH X3 is so ****!!!!!!!

I tried to watch this film again, but I just couldn't... there's just too much crap in it for it to be a good movie.

it's Superman... No matter how crappy the movie is, I'm still gonna support the character that I've loved since childhood... but one can only go so far until he calls it quits.

why has it taken you so long to see similarities most people realised on their first viewing on the big screen?

:confused:

i'm almost suprised you didn't even bring the end flying scene in as a reference or the similar opening title scenes...

:o

^Exactly, the similarities dont bother me anyway, i much prefer this take on Superman than any other i have witnessed so far.

I decided to watch the movie the other night...and on impulse I just decided to make a list of all the scenes in SR that mirrored scenes from S: TM.

The list is a page long...the beats and scenes that are nearly recreated from S: TM....one handwritten page long.

Unacceptable.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way...

it's Superman... No matter how crappy the movie is, I'm still gonna support the character that I've loved since childhood... but one can only go so far until he calls it quits.

Hollywood loves people like you.

I decided to watch the movie the other night...and on impulse I just decided to make a list of all the scenes in SR that mirrored scenes from S: TM.

The list is a page long...the beats and scenes that are nearly recreated from S: TM....one handwritten page long.

Unacceptable.

Why does it bother you so much? It doesnt bother me in the slightest.

^Yeah, right, kak, like that'll ever happen, dude. To those were upset by the similarities between the two films, remember: one man's homage is another man's bout of plagiarism. I liked all of the stuff some of you guys hated, but that's okay, everyone can't be pleased. I just care if I am, because I'm the center of my universe...not others.

^Yeah, right, kak, like that'll ever happen, dude. To those were upset by the similarities between the two films, remember: one man's homage is another man's bout of plagiarism. I liked all of the stuff some of you guys hated, but that's okay, everyone can't be pleased. I just care if I am, because I'm the center of my universe...not others.
what... that I'll lose my love for the character?

Not much has changed on these boards since I last visited....

Why does it bother you so much? It doesnt bother me in the slightest.

I'm not THAT bothered by it...I still really enjoy the movie when I watch it. I just wish there was more cohiesive storytelling and more originality...because as I said, I found a page worth of similiarities in terms of scenes and pacing. And that sort of thing makes me wish for a complete 2 and a half hours that are new and refreshing, instead of being a near-mirror image to a 20 year old movie.

this is still not good. i dont care what a superman fan you are. you dont buy a dvd of a movie that you dont like.

well, I didn't really like SR, but I bought the DVD so I could give the movie a second chance. I wanted to be sure that my negativity towards the film was justified ( for me ), as I had only seen it once in the theater.

that being said, my opinion really didn't change much.........

I'm not THAT bothered by it...I still really enjoy the movie when I watch it. I just wish there was more cohiesive storytelling and more originality...because as I said, I found a page worth of similiarities in terms of scenes and pacing. And that sort of thing makes me wish for a complete 2 and a half hours that are new and refreshing, instead of being a near-mirror image to a 20 year old movie.

Hmmmm sorry but you dont strike me as someone who really likes the movie. Anyway, i am someone who really didnt like STM, so you'd think the similarities would bother someone like me more, but they really dont, for me SR is a better and more serious version of STM, as STM is just too corny for me.

Superman Returns is crap but so are 99% of all other movies.

However its two and a half hours of enjoyable crap.

The thing is a movie any movie is meant to be in most cases 2 hours of escape not a life changing experience

However is can't be as bad as you make out or you would not be wasting time on a fan board obsessing about it.

Rather then whine about a crap Superman movie that nobody forced you to watch and then go out and buy the DVD, you should be happy that there is another Superman movie on the way lets hope this one is better, and if its not its only a movie..

Singer told everyone the film follows the same emotional journey as S:tM, it is meant to emphasise the contrast between Superman's first adventure (S:tM) and Superman's return (SR), because both circumstances are pretty similar; Superman lands on earth as a baby from Krypton, introduces himself to world, Superman lands on earth from remains of Krypton, reintroduces himself to world. Except this time things don't go smoothly for Supes.

Not to mention there are a lot of things in SR not seen in the Donner movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"