Superman Returns Ugh! Watched STM then SR....

I dont get whats so selfish about not revealing your biggest secret, and possibly THE biggest secret in the world, until you're sure someone truly loves you. If that secret ever got out Superman would be in big trouble, Lois, Martha, and everyone who knew him as Clark, so he has to sure he is revealing it to the right person/people.

So he's comfortable enough to sleep with but not comfortable enough to tell her his biggest secret? THat just seems incongruous with the character of Superman. He's not going to engage in sex that isn't part of a committed relationship. How committed can he be if he doesn't tell her that he's also Clark, that guy at work she ignores all the time.

Also, as someone else said in one of the sequel threads, Superman may have thought it was impossible for Lois to get pregnant with his baby

Since this is not part of the movie, I don't think it really has any bearing on the movie. If that was supposed to be part of the story then it would have been included.

There is quite an easy explanation to it IMO, Superman loves Lois so much he doesnt want to see her in pain, it would be "unbearable" for him to see her in pain.

Again, a selfish motivation. I just don't think this is defendable. I think it is supposed to be wrong in the context of the movie, otherwise you wouldn't get the conflict that arrises from it. Really, if anyone loves someone 'so much' then honesty is ALWAYS the right thing in this situation. It doesn't take rocket science to figure out that Lois is going to figure out that he's gone and then be really hurt not just b/c he had to leave but b/c he left AND wasn't honest with her. IT's like rubbing salt in the wound.

I mostly explained this earlier on but, i dont think it was just a casual one nighter. I think it was a night to show how much they loved each other and how comfortable they were with each other. And they got caught up in the moment like i said earlier.

They are comfortable enough to have sex and be in a loving (committed?) relationship but he can't reveal his identity or be honest about leaving? Those just don't go together for good people and especially for Superman. THe whole situation is the complete opposite of how the Lois/ Clark relationship has been treated in the comics. It is out of character for Superman.

Well i personally dont think its selfish, he obviously thought it would be easier on her if he just left, its a mistake, though not a selfish one IMO.

If it's not motivated by selfish reasons what is the motivation? If something is 'easier' it generally means that you are afraid to face something difficult b/c it is the right thing to do. Is there a reason to do the easier thing other than you are thinking of yourself and being selfish?

Leaving for 2 weeks or even 2 years is not the same as leaving to go to a distant planet that takes multiple years to get to, and there's a chance you might not be returning from.

So it would make even more sense to say good bye and be honest with her.

I dont see whats so out of character about not wanting to hurt the one's he loves.

He's hurting by leaving anyway, whether he says good bye or not. If he is honest with her it is his chance to explain himself, cushion the blow and respect Lois's right to know what happened to the man she loves. It's not like by not telling her she wasn't hurt. By not telling her he doubled the hurt and eliminated his chance to be a full time father to Jason when he returned. If Lois knew what Superman was doing, then she would not have moved on so quickly if at all, especially once she realized she was pregnant with SUperman's child.

Its simple he doesnt want to see her in pain, he thinks she loves him, they have just had sex together, probably for the first time, and he's hoping the relationship naturally progresses from there, but then this huge bomb drops in his lap and he has to leave.

So he doesn't say anything and forsakes the relationship. Nothing says "I love you" like forsaking a relationship that has just blossomed. If you are in love and believe the other person loves you, you are not going to keep the most important things in your life secret from them. He's going to tell her what's going on because he cares about her and he would be bursting with excitement to share this discovery about Krypton with her. THat is IF they are in love and really care about each other. That's what I don't get. THeir actions do not seems like actions of people that REALLY care about each other and understand that love is about the other person and not yourself.

So he's comfortable enough to sleep with but not comfortable enough to tell her his biggest secret? THat just seems incongruous with the character of Superman. He's not going to engage in sex that isn't part of a committed relationship. How committed can he be if he doesn't tell her that he's also Clark, that guy at work she ignores all the time.

I dont think its about being comfortable, i think its about being cautious, we saw at the end of SII how hard it would be for Lois to know that Superman and Clark are one and the same, but act like nothing was different. Now that may not be in continuity, but the situation still stands.

Since this is not part of the movie, I don't think it really has any bearing on the movie. If that was supposed to be part of the story then it would have been included.

Fair enough, but it is a possibility

Again, a selfish motivation. I just don't think this is defendable. I think it is supposed to be wrong in the context of the movie, otherwise you wouldn't get the conflict that arrises from it. Really, if anyone loves someone 'so much' then honesty is ALWAYS the right thing in this situation. It doesn't take rocket science to figure out that Lois is going to figure out that he's gone and then be really hurt not just b/c he had to leave but b/c he left AND wasn't honest with her. IT's like rubbing salt in the wound.

Again i dont think not wanting to see others in pain is selfish, sorry i just dont see it, he obviously felt him just leaving would hurt Lois a lot less than telling her something she wouldnt understand.

They are comfortable enough to have sex and be in a loving (committed?) relationship but he can't reveal his identity or be honest about leaving? Those just don't go together for good people and especially for Superman. THe whole situation is the complete opposite of how the Lois/ Clark relationship has been treated in the comics. It is out of character for Superman.

Well these days its quite common for people to have sex before they are in a commited releationship, seeing as this is a modern take on the character, i think it fits. Also, i would have to be with a girl for a VERY long time before i told her my biggest secrets.

And you keep mentioning SII, that Clark told Lois the truth before sleeping with her, as far as i remember, LOIS discovered they were the same person, Clark tried everything to not tell Lois and IMO he wouldnt have had she not discovered it.

If it's not motivated by selfish reasons what is the motivation? If something is 'easier' it generally means that you are afraid to face something difficult b/c it is the right thing to do. Is there a reason to do the easier thing other than you are thinking of yourself and being selfish?

Answered this above.

So it would make even more sense to say good bye and be honest with her.

He's hurting by leaving anyway, whether he says good bye or not. If he is honest with her it is his chance to explain himself, cushion the blow and respect Lois's right to know what happened to the man she loves. It's not like by not telling her she wasn't hurt. By not telling her he doubled the hurt and eliminated his chance to be a full time father to Jason when he returned. If Lois knew what Superman was doing, then she would not have moved on so quickly if at all, especially once she realized she was pregnant with SUperman's child.

So he doesn't say anything and forsakes the relationship. Nothing says "I love you" like forsaking a relationship that has just blossomed. If you are in love and believe the other person loves you, you are not going to keep the most important things in your life secret from them. He's going to tell her what's going on because he cares about her and he would be bursting with excitement to share this discovery about Krypton with her. THat is IF they are in love and really care about each other. That's what I don't get. THeir actions do not seems like actions of people that REALLY care about each other and understand that love is about the other person and not yourself.

Yes he hurts her by just leaving, but he obviously thought that hurt would be less than the rejection she would feel if he told her, just because he was wrong doesnt mean he was selfish. Dont think we'll ever agree on this:yay:

Pop!!!

By the way I got Sacrifice today, I'll get back to you on it once I read it.

Ha ha

hope you enjoy Sacrifice, i thought it was great.

I'm halfway through Kingdom Come now and think its fantastic so far.

I dont think its about being comfortable, i think its about being cautious, we saw at the end of SII how hard it would be for Lois to know that Superman and Clark are one and the same, but act like nothing was different. Now that may not be in continuity, but the situation still stands.

YOu used the phrase comfortable in your post to describe their attitude towards each other, I was just commenting on the fact that it seems odd to be able to be physically intimate while keeping the trust level at a distance. Especially for a character like SUperman. I don't feel he would be able to be physically intimate if he did not already have that level of trust with Lois on other important levels.

Fair enough, but it is a possibility

Fair.
Again i dont think not wanting to see others in pain is selfish, sorry i just dont see it, he obviously felt him just leaving would hurt Lois a lot less than telling her something she wouldnt understand.

Common sense seems to dictate that leaving without saying good bye is going to hurt someone more than just disappearing. Would you do it to your girlfriend?

I just think you are selling LOis short to say she wouldn't understand. Why would Lois not understand that aspect of Superman's respnsibility and need for closure? If she really loves him then she would understand.

Well these days its quite common for people to have sex before they are in a commited releationship, seeing as this is a modern take on the character, i think it fits. Also, i would have to be with a girl for a VERY long time before i told her my biggest secrets.

I know this to be true in today's word, but it still not responsible and it does not fit the character to me. Every other version of the character treats SUperman morals and values very traditionally. I think SInger gets this wrong with Superman. Would it be wrong with every comic character? No. BUt with Superman I think it is wrong. THere is nothing to indicate he would do this in any other version of the character. I don't watch Smallville so I can't comment on anything from that. I think I heard that CLark slept with Lana, though.

And you keep mentioning SII, that Clark told Lois the truth before sleeping with her, as far as i remember, LOIS discovered they were the same person, Clark tried everything to not tell Lois and IMO he wouldnt have had she not discovered it.

A better way to put it would be that SUperman made no serious attempt at a relationship until his Identity was known by Lois. He did not pursue Lois as Superman, but rather hoped that he could win her as Clark.

But he also wouldn't have pursued a serious relationship with her if she didn't know he was also Clark KEnt.

Answered this above.

SO why was it so hard for him to explain what he was doing and be honest with her?

The only answer I can come up with that might fit is that the really weren't in a healthy relationship and probably shouldn't have been sexually involved in the first place.

Yes he hurts her by just leaving, but he obviously thought that hurt would be less than the rejection she would feel if he told her, just because he was wrong doesnt mean he was selfish. Dont think we'll ever agree on this:yay:

I don't think we'll ever agree either. My understanding of the character is that in this type of situation SUperman would always tell the truth and be honest with the woman he loves. I think he is mature and insightful enough to understand what would happen by saying nothing to her, especially if he hopes to have a relationship when he comes back. Especially if he thought he might not be coming back. I think his actions in the movie are not those of a mature, responsible, caring adult, but rather an immature, irresponsible teenager.

Ha ha

hope you enjoy Sacrifice, i thought it was great.

I'm halfway through Kingdom Come now and think its fantastic so far.

Read Sacrifice yesterday, and thought it was very good. It was interesting to finally read a story that I'd already heard about and known of by it's consequences in other stories I had read.

As for the bit about Blackrock you mentioned in an earlier post, I really didn't see Superman going over the edge, more so an exaggerated response from a normal person being swayed by the TV special suggesting Superman could be a danger to everyone.

Jimmy even defended Superman. I think the scene was meant to show how much SUperman cares about the way the public views him and how important doing the right thing is to him.

YOu used the phrase comfortable in your post to describe their attitude towards each other, I was just commenting on the fact that it seems odd to be able to be physically intimate while keeping the trust level at a distance. Especially for a character like SUperman. I don't feel he would be able to be physically intimate if he did not already have that level of trust with Lois on other important levels.

Well i thought they were comfortable with each other in their relationship, but as far as i see it the relationship was in the early stages and they had only slept together once. Giving Lois his identity would put her and everyone both she and Clark knows in danger, so he is right to be cautious IMO. IMO he was going to tell her soon after they slept together but the Krypton reports came in.

Common sense seems to dictate that leaving without saying good bye is going to hurt someone more than just disappearing. Would you do it to your girlfriend?

If i was leaving for 5 years and thinking i might not come back i would break it off with a girl to be honest. But thats me. I'm not Superman. He obviously thought she wouldnt be hurt as much if he just left than if he left for a reason she didnt understand.

I just think you are selling LOis short to say she wouldn't understand. Why would Lois not understand that aspect of Superman's respnsibility and need for closure? If she really loves him then she would understand.

I dont think its selling Lois short because, as is stated in the movie, Superman told Lois Krypton was destroyed ages ago. Thats why i dont think she would understand Superman wanting to go back there.

I know this to be true in today's word, but it still not responsible and it does not fit the character to me. Every other version of the character treats SUperman morals and values very traditionally. I think SInger gets this wrong with Superman. Would it be wrong with every comic character? No. BUt with Superman I think it is wrong. THere is nothing to indicate he would do this in any other version of the character. I don't watch Smallville so I can't comment on anything from that. I think I heard that CLark slept with Lana, though.

I think thats true about Smallville, though i dont watch it much. I think what happened in SR isnt what Superman intended to happen, and not how he wanted it to go, but unfortunately other factors got in the way and he made some bad decisions. That doesnt make him selfish IMO, just inexperienced with relationships.

A better way to put it would be that SUperman made no serious attempt at a relationship until his Identity was known by Lois. He did not pursue Lois as Superman, but rather hoped that he could win her as Clark.

But he also wouldn't have pursued a serious relationship with her if she didn't know he was also Clark KEnt.

Hhmmm, i seem to remember he pursued her as both Clark AND Superman in STM. Didnt he go for the flight over metropolis with her as Superman and then arrive at her apartment as Clark straight after for a date they had arranged?

SO why was it so hard for him to explain what he was doing and be honest with her?

The only answer I can come up with that might fit is that the really weren't in a healthy relationship and probably shouldn't have been sexually involved in the first place.

I don't think we'll ever agree either. My understanding of the character is that in this type of situation SUperman would always tell the truth and be honest with the woman he loves. I think he is mature and insightful enough to understand what would happen by saying nothing to her, especially if he hopes to have a relationship when he comes back. Especially if he thought he might not be coming back. I think his actions in the movie are not those of a mature, responsible, caring adult, but rather an immature, irresponsible teenager.

I dont think its irresponsible or even necessarily immature behaviour. As both Brandon and Kate B said in the pre-release interviews, both Lois and Superman have never been in love before and so they dont know how to react to the situations at hand. If anything it seems to be naivity on Supermans part as he is inexperienced with relationships and thats why i dont see it as being selfish.

Read Sacrifice yesterday, and thought it was very good. It was interesting to finally read a story that I'd already heard about and known of by it's consequences in other stories I had read.

I thought it was great as well.

As for the bit about Blackrock you mentioned in an earlier post, I really didn't see Superman going over the edge, more so an exaggerated response from a normal person being swayed by the TV special suggesting Superman could be a danger to everyone.

Jimmy even defended Superman. I think the scene was meant to show how much SUperman cares about the way the public views him and how important doing the right thing is to him.

I dont think Jimmy exactly defended him, but rather made an excuse for his behaviour. I think Superman acted without much regard in that scene as Black Rock told him 'no more' long before Superman stopped.

I've just finished Kingdom Come and thought it was brilliant, possibly the best Superman story i've read yet. The only thing i didnt like about it was how you dont really find out what happened to Lois.

Hard to say. I wasn't the one getting pushed through BUILDINGS. But Supes used to save the "NUCLEAR OPTION" for Big-Bads like Doomsday and Gog. Not second-raters like TV HEAD.:yay:

I thought it was great as well.

I dont think Jimmy exactly defended him, but rather made an excuse for his behaviour. I think Superman acted without much regard in that scene as Black Rock told him 'no more' long before Superman stopped.

Actually, Blackrock is relating what is happening with the rock and finally say's "I'm burning." One panel Jimmy saying "Superman, he's done." SUpes stops and in the following panel Blackrock says "Stop, please," after Superman has already stopped. I also thought it was portrayed as a situation that was to be in a subjective reading. If you are someone who believes that SUperman really is doing his thing for everyone's best interests, you wouldn't question it. Jimmy goes on to tell SUperman "If you're having qualms about the bake-off, don't. That guy went totally war of the worlds on us, if it hadn't been for you..." At which point he is interupted.

However, if you are a citizen who has just watched the TV special that has been troubling our hero, then you might see SUperman as a dangerous individual who could do a lot of damage if he went out of control. It sets you up for when Max does make SUperman go out of control.
I've just finished Kingdom Come and thought it was brilliant, possibly the best Superman story i've read yet. The only thing i didnt like about it was how you dont really find out what happened to Lois.

SHe was killed by the JOker when he went on a killing spree in the Daily Planet. It's not spelled out in so many words, but in that flashback scene with the Joker on his spree, he's in the Planet and people are dying, and I think you can see Lois, I'm not looking at it right now though.

Funny you should mention that since, in the current Superman: Confidential comics, Superman courts Lois--and she is not yet aware that Clark and Superman are one and the same.

Well i thought they were comfortable with each other in their relationship, but as far as i see it the relationship was in the early stages and they had only slept together once. Giving Lois his identity would put her and everyone both she and Clark knows in danger, so he is right to be cautious IMO. IMO he was going to tell her soon after they slept together but the Krypton reports came in.

I think it is out of character for Superman to be having sex with someone so early in the relationship. Of course, we really don't know if it is early, there is no context given in the movie.

Wouldn't it be more dangerous to be known as SUperman's lover than Clark Kent's? The Clark identity is supposed to protect Superman's friends and family from reprisals from his enemies. If it's publicly known that Superman and Lois are a serious item, hasn't he endangered her more? Telling Lois his identity and then dating her as Clark protects her from harm. For example, look at Sacrifice which we've been discussing. Max Lord knows that Clark is SUperman and attacks him through Lois.

But shouldn't he have told her first? That is out of character as well to me and doesn't fit with previous films or stories in the comics concerning the Lois/ Superman relationship. Plus, it's not dramatized in a way which makes us understand what happened or why.
If i was leaving for 5 years and thinking i might not come back i would break it off with a girl to be honest. But thats me. I'm not Superman.
See, that's what I don't get. SInce when is SUperman less considerate than the average guy? I don't know anyone that wouldn't be honest about what was going on in this situation. So, it doesn't make any sense that SUperman, the poster-boy for being responsible and caring and considerate to EVERYONE can't do something the average person would consider natural and obligitory.

The only type of person I can imagine not breaking it off in this type of situation is a jerk, someone who cares more about himself than the other person in the relationship.
He obviously thought she wouldnt be hurt as much if he just left than if he left for a reason she didnt understand.

See, that's where the premise to me falls apart. There is no explanation of why he thinks Lois would not understand. The whole movie hinges on the fact that SUperman left for 5 years and didn't tell Lois, but SInger spent no time trying to give the audience a real reason that makes sense under the circumstances. He gave no context to make us believe that Superman had no choice or why he believed it would be better to leave w/o explaining himself. Singer didn't spend anytime giving a believable, thoughtful, and meaningful motivation for Superman's actions in this situation. It just comes off as one dimesional and unbelievable. Singer's not exploring the deeper qualities of the character or explaining WHY it makes sense. It only touches on the surface. I think the whole movie feels this way. It pretty much only addresses the dramatic issues on a surface leves and doesn't go deeper into motivations or explanations. I really believe "It was too difficult" is just bad writing b/c SInger really didn't have a reason, he just wanted to tell what comes next and expects the viewer to just accpet that Superman would act that way. I know it doesn't bother you, but to me and a number of other posters here, this is just not in any portrayal of SUperman's character. Again, it treats the situation in a very shallow manner.

I dont think its selling Lois short because, as is stated in the movie, Superman told Lois Krypton was destroyed ages ago. Thats why i dont think she would understand Superman wanting to go back there.

SO if this story broke on the newswire, wouldn't Lois know about it and wonder what was up? Wouldn't she talk to SUperman about it? Wouldn't SUperman talk to her about it if they were involved? Even as just friends? Do you keep those things most important to you from the people you love? No, you share them.

It doesn't make sense that Lois would not undertand Superman's motivation. If she doesn't she really doesn't understand Superman. If she really doesn't understand SUperman, how can she love him? THey are supposed to really be in love and love each other, right? IT's not supposed to be a schoolgirl crush that went too far to fast is it? B/c that is certainly not how their relationship has been portrayed in any medium either.

If the reason really is that Lois thinks that Krypton blew up years ago b/c of what he told her, why would Superman want to go back? WOuldn't the very fact that he told her he needed to go back be enough evidence for Lois? SUperman is honest, doesn't lie etc.... WOuld LOis not believe his reasons for needing to go back? Why would LOis not believe Superman, he's never lied to her in the past has he?

It doesn't explain why he thinks Lois wouldn't understand. It stops there, it doesn't go any deeper. Singer doesn't go any deeper when Superman finally tells Lois what he was doing. THey don't discuss what happened and why he felt she wouldn't understand. The movie just goes in a different direction with the whole savior bit, which really has nothing to do with their broken relationship which she is still looking for answers to. Again, just surface. No depth to what was going on between them. Then the idea is dropped for a different idea that I think Singer is ultimately more interested in.

I think thats true about Smallville, though i dont watch it much. I think what happened in SR isnt what Superman intended to happen, and not how he wanted it to go, but unfortunately other factors got in the way and he made some bad decisions. That doesnt make him selfish IMO, just inexperienced with relationships.

Being inexperienced in dating relationships may be one thing. But don't you think SUperman is a good enough guy that he would let that whole honesty thing pervade his entire life? If he's going to be truthful with Miss Tessmacher, why wouldn't he be honest with Lois? I think that SUperman has been established as a character who will tell the truth and be honest to avoid causing other pain and suffer himself instead. I think even in a relationship he would honor the importance of being honest and considerate of Lois, even if he doesn't know a lot about relationships. I think Superman is supposed to be mature enough to know that being honest in a relationship is just as important as being honest in all other facets of his life. That's why in the comics Clark reavealed his identity to Lois before getting really serious. That's why in SII, he did not pursue anything serious with Lois until she knew Clark and SUperman were the same person. WHen LOis figured it out in both cuts of SII, it freed him to finally pursue something serious with Lois.

Hhmmm, i seem to remember he pursued her as both Clark AND Superman in STM. Didnt he go for the flight over metropolis with her as Superman and then arrive at her apartment as Clark straight after for a date they had arranged?

Well, I've always felt the flying scene was borne out of LOis's questions in the interview about how fast he could fly. He didn't go there in an attempt to woo her on the spot. He always called her Miss Lane and was very polite and professional with her. Even at the end of the moive Lois seems to be surprised that Jimmy thinks that SUperman has taken an interest in her above anyone else, she even says, "Superman cares for everyone, Jimmy." THere are a number of times in the movies where SUperman could have stayed around and talked a bit more and made a bit of time with her, but he always takes off as soon as his job is done.

As for the date with Clark, aren't they going to a dinner together to cover as reporters? I don't think it's supposed to be an actual date.

I dont think its irresponsible or even necessarily immature behaviour.

I cannot see a mature, responsible adult in a healthy adult relationship acting the way SUperman does in the set-up for SR. I don't see how it could be anything but irresponsible and immature without further explanation of the context of the situation.
As both Brandon and Kate B said in the pre-release interviews, both Lois and Superman have never been in love before and so they dont know how to react to the situations at hand.
So, neither of them have ever been in love? That might have been helpful context. It also would lend some creedence to them being immature when it comes to relationships. However, I still think someone like SUperman who is supposed to be such a good person in all other areas of his life would find honesty and truthfulness important in relationships as well. I also think he would be savy enough to see how hurt Lois would be w/o an explanation.
If anything it seems to be naivity on Supermans part as he is inexperienced with relationships and thats why i dont see it as being selfish.

I don't think that Superman is naive about people feelings though, otherwise he wouldn't have a strong motivation for standing up for Truth and Justice. He's portrayed as a little naive in STM b/c he thinks he can stand up for Truth, Justice and the American way. If you are saying he's naive b/c he doesn't know how to act in relationships I think it's a little different than saying he doesn't understand how people feel when abandonned. He himself is supposed to know what it's like to be alone, and then to turn around and say that he doesn't understand that leaving Lois in the midst of their relationship is to misunderstand the fact that Superman CARES and can empathize.

I think if you had a story about SUperman or Clark who was young, 16 or 17 and he made these mistakes and it was all about how Superman developed into the hero he is, this story would have worked better. I still wouldn't have liked it, b/c it deviates too much from the established character in the comics, but it seems absurd to imagine an established SUperman, 27 or 28 years old, 5 years into his SUperman career (according to the SR DVD extras) making these mistakes and bad decisions. It basically says that up until this point, SUperman really didn't uderstand human nature enough to be hones with Lois the woman he loves.

Finally, after all this typing, do you know how ridiculous it still seems to me that the best idea Singer had for a SUperman moive was that he was a crappy boyfriend? There are no SUperman stories in the comics about SUperman being a crappy boyfriend. That is why the whole concept just seems so foreign to me as a SUperman story and wrong-headed characterization of Superman.

I think it is out of character for Superman to be having sex with someone so early in the relationship. Of course, we really don't know if it is early, there is no context given in the movie.

Wouldn't it be more dangerous to be known as SUperman's lover than Clark Kent's? The Clark identity is supposed to protect Superman's friends and family from reprisals from his enemies. If it's publicly known that Superman and Lois are a serious item, hasn't he endangered her more? Telling Lois his identity and then dating her as Clark protects her from harm. For example, look at Sacrifice which we've been discussing. Max Lord knows that Clark is SUperman and attacks him through Lois.

But shouldn't he have told her first? That is out of character as well to me and doesn't fit with previous films or stories in the comics concerning the Lois/ Superman relationship. Plus, it's not dramatized in a way which makes us understand what happened or why.

See, that's what I don't get. SInce when is SUperman less considerate than the average guy? I don't know anyone that wouldn't be honest about what was going on in this situation. So, it doesn't make any sense that SUperman, the poster-boy for being responsible and caring and considerate to EVERYONE can't do something the average person would consider natural and obligitory.

The only type of person I can imagine not breaking it off in this type of situation is a jerk, someone who cares more about himself than the other person in the relationship.

See, that's where the premise to me falls apart. There is no explanation of why he thinks Lois would not understand. The whole movie hinges on the fact that SUperman left for 5 years and didn't tell Lois, but SInger spent no time trying to give the audience a real reason that makes sense under the circumstances. He gave no context to make us believe that Superman had no choice or why he believed it would be better to leave w/o explaining himself. Singer didn't spend anytime giving a believable, thoughtful, and meaningful motivation for Superman's actions in this situation. It just comes off as one dimesional and unbelievable. Singer's not exploring the deeper qualities of the character or explaining WHY it makes sense. It only touches on the surface. I think the whole movie feels this way. It pretty much only addresses the dramatic issues on a surface leves and doesn't go deeper into motivations or explanations. I really believe "It was too difficult" is just bad writing b/c SInger really didn't have a reason, he just wanted to tell what comes next and expects the viewer to just accpet that Superman would act that way. I know it doesn't bother you, but to me and a number of other posters here, this is just not in any portrayal of SUperman's character. Again, it treats the situation in a very shallow manner.

SO if this story broke on the newswire, wouldn't Lois know about it and wonder what was up? Wouldn't she talk to SUperman about it? Wouldn't SUperman talk to her about it if they were involved? Even as just friends? Do you keep those things most important to you from the people you love? No, you share them.

It doesn't make sense that Lois would not undertand Superman's motivation. If she doesn't she really doesn't understand Superman. If she really doesn't understand SUperman, how can she love him? THey are supposed to really be in love and love each other, right? IT's not supposed to be a schoolgirl crush that went too far to fast is it? B/c that is certainly not how their relationship has been portrayed in any medium either.

If the reason really is that Lois thinks that Krypton blew up years ago b/c of what he told her, why would Superman want to go back? WOuldn't the very fact that he told her he needed to go back be enough evidence for Lois? SUperman is honest, doesn't lie etc.... WOuld LOis not believe his reasons for needing to go back? Why would LOis not believe Superman, he's never lied to her in the past has he?

It doesn't explain why he thinks Lois wouldn't understand. It stops there, it doesn't go any deeper. Singer doesn't go any deeper when Superman finally tells Lois what he was doing. THey don't discuss what happened and why he felt she wouldn't understand. The movie just goes in a different direction with the whole savior bit, which really has nothing to do with their broken relationship which she is still looking for answers to. Again, just surface. No depth to what was going on between them. Then the idea is dropped for a different idea that I think Singer is ultimately more interested in.

Being inexperienced in dating relationships may be one thing. But don't you think SUperman is a good enough guy that he would let that whole honesty thing pervade his entire life? If he's going to be truthful with Miss Tessmacher, why wouldn't he be honest with Lois? I think that SUperman has been established as a character who will tell the truth and be honest to avoid causing other pain and suffer himself instead. I think even in a relationship he would honor the importance of being honest and considerate of Lois, even if he doesn't know a lot about relationships. I think Superman is supposed to be mature enough to know that being honest in a relationship is just as important as being honest in all other facets of his life. That's why in the comics Clark reavealed his identity to Lois before getting really serious. That's why in SII, he did not pursue anything serious with Lois until she knew Clark and SUperman were the same person. WHen LOis figured it out in both cuts of SII, it freed him to finally pursue something serious with Lois.

Well, I've always felt the flying scene was borne out of LOis's questions in the interview about how fast he could fly. He didn't go there in an attempt to woo her on the spot. He always called her Miss Lane and was very polite and professional with her. Even at the end of the moive Lois seems to be surprised that Jimmy thinks that SUperman has taken an interest in her above anyone else, she even says, "Superman cares for everyone, Jimmy." THere are a number of times in the movies where SUperman could have stayed around and talked a bit more and made a bit of time with her, but he always takes off as soon as his job is done.

As for the date with Clark, aren't they going to a dinner together to cover as reporters? I don't think it's supposed to be an actual date.

I cannot see a mature, responsible adult in a healthy adult relationship acting the way SUperman does in the set-up for SR. I don't see how it could be anything but irresponsible and immature without further explanation of the context of the situation.

So, neither of them have ever been in love? That might have been helpful context. It also would lend some creedence to them being immature when it comes to relationships. However, I still think someone like SUperman who is supposed to be such a good person in all other areas of his life would find honesty and truthfulness important in relationships as well. I also think he would be savy enough to see how hurt Lois would be w/o an explanation.

I don't think that Superman is naive about people feelings though, otherwise he wouldn't have a strong motivation for standing up for Truth and Justice. He's portrayed as a little naive in STM b/c he thinks he can stand up for Truth, Justice and the American way. If you are saying he's naive b/c he doesn't know how to act in relationships I think it's a little different than saying he doesn't understand how people feel when abandonned. He himself is supposed to know what it's like to be alone, and then to turn around and say that he doesn't understand that leaving Lois in the midst of their relationship is to misunderstand the fact that Superman CARES and can empathize.

I think if you had a story about SUperman or Clark who was young, 16 or 17 and he made these mistakes and it was all about how Superman developed into the hero he is, this story would have worked better. I still wouldn't have liked it, b/c it deviates too much from the established character in the comics, but it seems absurd to imagine an established SUperman, 27 or 28 years old, 5 years into his SUperman career (according to the SR DVD extras) making these mistakes and bad decisions. It basically says that up until this point, SUperman really didn't uderstand human nature enough to be hones with Lois the woman he loves.

Finally, after all this typing, do you know how ridiculous it still seems to me that the best idea Singer had for a SUperman moive was that he was a crappy boyfriend? There are no SUperman stories in the comics about SUperman being a crappy boyfriend. That is why the whole concept just seems so foreign to me as a SUperman story and wrong-headed characterization of Superman.

If i thought Singers ideas for the movie were ridiculous i wouldnt enjoy it as much as i do. I'll admit some of the choice's Superman makes before and during the movie are questionable, but i dont think any of that makes him selfish. Also, the situation in SR isnt really comparable with the comics as nothing like that has ever really happened in the comics.

In STM, he pursued Lois as both Clark and Superman, wasnt he about to kiss her out in the desert after turning back time to save her life but Jimmy showed up? And i'm pretty sure Clark did actually arrive at Lois' for date after the flight over Metropolis.

So what he did in the events leading up to SR are not that out of place IMO. And even i did consider what he did selfish, i wouldnt be too bothered, because IMO, he has earned the right to a few selfish acts with the amount of lives he has saved. But i dont think he acts out of selfishness, i think he acts out lonliness, inexperience, and the fear of losing the one's he loves.

In conclusion i just dont think we will ever agree on this. I have thoroughly enjoyed the discussion, but maybe it has run its course:yay: .

Hard to say. I wasn't the one getting pushed through BUILDINGS. But Supes used to save the "NUCLEAR OPTION" for Big-Bads like Doomsday and Gog. Not second-raters like TV HEAD.:yay:

Exactly, thanks for that, not exactly a defense from Jimmy, more an excuse.

If i thought Singers ideas for the movie were ridiculous i wouldnt enjoy it as much as i do. I'll admit some of the choice's Superman makes before and during the movie are questionable, but i dont think any of that makes him selfish. Also, the situation in SR isnt really comparable with the comics as nothing like that has ever really happened in the comics.

In STM, he pursued Lois as both Clark and Superman, wasnt he about to kiss her out in the desert after turning back time to save her life but Jimmy showed up? And i'm pretty sure Clark did actually arrive at Lois' for date after the flight over Metropolis.

So what he did in the events leading up to SR are not that out of place IMO. And even i did consider what he did selfish, i wouldnt be too bothered, because IMO, he has earned the right to a few selfish acts with the amount of lives he has saved. But i dont think he acts out of selfishness, i think he acts out lonliness, inexperience, and the fear of losing the one's he loves.

In conclusion i just dont think we will ever agree on this. I have thoroughly enjoyed the discussion, but maybe it has run its course:yay: .
Agreed and agreed.

Really? Now thats interesting.

It will be interesting to see how that goes. I'm not reading that book, I'm just sticking with Action and SUperman right now, oh and SUperman/ Batman.

On the other hand, in All-Star SUperman, Lois already knows that he's Superman, I believe.

CUrious to see how far they will take it in the COnfidential title. If it stays chaste and very 'courtly' courting, then I don't think it will be much different from the Silver Age version of the relationship.

It will be interesting to see how that goes. I'm not reading that book, I'm just sticking with Action and SUperman right now, oh and SUperman/ Batman.

On the other hand, in All-Star SUperman, Lois already knows that he's Superman, I believe.

CUrious to see how far they will take it in the COnfidential title. If it stays chaste and very 'courtly' courting, then I don't think it will be much different from the Silver Age version of the relationship.

I'll have to try and check those books out, it will be a while though, yesterday i bought Superman in the 70's and For Tomorrow Vol.1 and am currently reading the beginning of the Ketch run of Ghost Rider, so i have things to tide me over for a while.

I'll have to try and check those books out, it will be a while though, yesterday i bought Superman in the 70's and For Tomorrow Vol.1 and am currently reading the beginning of the Ketch run of Ghost Rider, so i have things to tide me over for a while.

I really like SUperman in the Seventies, a good read. ALso recommend Essential Ghost RIder Vol 1. It starts at the very beginning with Blaze.

I really like SUperman in the Seventies, a good read.

I've only had a brief flick through so far, same with 'For Tomorrow,' I havent officially started either yet but they both look great.

Also, do you know which book immediatly follows Sacrifice? There were a few in the store, Ruin Revealed, Infinite Crisis and The Wrath Of Gog, or is it even For Tomorrow? Also Superman in the 80's looks a good read, is it? Thanks again for the info.

Also recommend Essential Ghost RIder Vol 1. It starts at the very beginning with Blaze.

You know, i've read a few Blaze stories, but never the very 1st one, so i might check that out. Just finished re-reading the 1st 7 issues of the Ketch run, and i still think its good.

I've only had a brief flick through so far, same with 'For Tomorrow,' I havent officially started either yet but they both look great.

Also, do you know which book immediatly follows Sacrifice? There were a few in the store, Ruin Revealed, Infinite Crisis and The Wrath Of Gog, or is it even For Tomorrow? Also Superman in the 80's looks a good read, is it? Thanks again for the info.

Ruin Revealed is next, followed by Superman: Infinite Crisis. There is a separte book just entitled "Infinite Crisis" as well which tells the story of the entire conflict. "SUperman: Infintie Crisis" focusses on the fight between Superman and SUperman. Confused? That's right, there are two Supermen.
I'm guessing SUperman in the Eighties is a good read. I didn't buy it b/c after glancing through it I had actually bought most of them when they originally came out.

You know, i've read a few Blaze stories, but never the very 1st one, so i might check that out. Just finished re-reading the 1st 7 issues of the Ketch run, and i still think its good.

Cool.

Ruin Revealed is next, followed by Superman: Infinite Crisis. There is a separte book just entitled "Infinite Crisis" as well which tells the story of the entire conflict. "SUperman: Infintie Crisis" focusses on the fight between Superman and SUperman. Confused? That's right, there are two Supermen.
I'm guessing SUperman in the Eighties is a good read. I didn't buy it b/c after glancing through it I had actually bought most of them when they originally came out.

I thought RR was next, yeah i noticed there were 2 Supermen in IC, one is older and one is younger i believe. I'll probably get The 80's and For tomorrow vol. 2 next, and then get RR and IF at a later date.

Yeah going to see the movie this week so i gave it a re-read. Havent heard many good things about the movie though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"