The Dark Knight Rises Unintentionally Funny Moments in The Dark Knight Rises

I do not attack The Joker, The Guard or really any of this movie's many, many critics. But you keep making single sentence posts that say "Nolan makes boring movies." or "Nobody understands them because they are long and boring" (yes I am paraphrasing) and then come in here and list every single performance in the film as LOL-inducing.

As The Joker, no fan of TDKR if you look around, said, you are trying too hard to hate this movie. If you want a real discussion, start one. There are plenty on the board.

If you don't like me, just put me on ignore. But no, you're going to call me out and cherry pick everything I post. Get others together, and become like a lynch mob chanting "TROLL TROLL TROLL" and cause such disruption that the moderators will have no choice but to ban me, just to appease the crowd.

If I can't even have my own opinion, what's the point of posting here? Am I just here to follow the crowd. Maybe I should just tag along and act timid, for fear of troll accusations being levelled at me by people like you.

But I have to wonder, what compels you so much to go around accusing others of trolling? Did you have a bad childhood? I would like to discuss your issues, man. :woot:

Is that a fact, is it? :woot:

So an actor who wins an oscar is beyond criticism? Halle Berry won an oscar but was also in Catwoman. Do you consider Catwoman an oscar-worthy performance? :woot:

Interesting reply and I get what you mean, BUT...I would consider Anne's performance as Selina Oscar-worthy indeed, though. If you look at the Anne Hathaway/Selina Kyle appreciation thread, you'll find others who feel the same way :woot:

TDKR, like the Dark Knight, won all the oscars it deserved this academy awards season, in my opinion.

Wally deserved a cinematography nom. He shouldn't have won (that would be Deakins), but he deserved a nomination at the least.

He absolutely did. I think Deakins' work was "prettier", but the unrivaled clarity and purity of the IMAX image along with Wally's consistently amazing framing and lighting makes it a very tight race. Too bad Claudio Miranda probably would have robbed them both even if Wally got nominated, lol (although I say that without having seen Life of Pi, which is unfair).

Not in my opinion. TDKR, like TDK, deserved more.

You were supposed to respond with, "but TDKR didn't win and wasn't nominated for any oscars", to which my reply would be, "Exactly".

Even though I don't care about the Oscars, especially with how political and non-nonsensical they are, I think Ledger deserved it for the Joker. It was nice to see whether they gave it to him because he died or not. He was literally the best thing about the film, for me anyway. Best thing about film all of that year. So, it was good to see. I think it's visual effects and cinematography were very good too.

All the other categories? Perhaps, but it doesn't really matter. I was entertained.

TDKR? I don't see anything in there, save for visual effects or cinematography (which Pfister won elsewhere anyway) that it "DESERVED" anything. Not if you consider the Oscars to be "prestigious" like some people seem to. What did it achieve that prior Batman films hadn't? Or how about as far Nolan's films go? Or filmmaking in general? Going bigger and louder and expanding with bloat in every area? Most sequels do that, not all of them really succeed. The only thing TDKR surpassed of Begins and TDK were the fight scenes, but I don't think there's a nomination for that with the Oscars, maybe the MTV movie awards.

Screenplay? Definitely not. The others are far superior.

Hathaway? I think Catwoman is great, I love seeing her on screen, best part of TDKR by far, but I'm not sure it constitutes as "OMG OSCAR WORTHY" (whatever that means to people). She played Catwoman and Selina Kyle, and did it well, not much more. Les Mis was always going to be "that movie". Other than us Batman/Comic nerds/movie buffs/Anne Fane :woot: who does Catwoman resonate with?

As for OutRiddled's remarks, I can't say I agree with him 100%. There seems to be a lot of phony stuff in there, some of it is spot on though. I'd say Miranda Tate/Talia is razzie worthy, and not just because of the death. I'd say the same thing about Bane too. They're ordinary, cliched villains bent on city destruction.

And Bale? We've seen him do much better (and in other Batman films), I'm sure even Bale would attest to that. I don't agree with Outriddled completely, I felt Bale's Bruce Wayne was at least compelling and well acted in TDKR, even if it wasn't a direction I agreed with. But his Batman? Or, Bale in Batman suit? No, that's not very good. Certainly not for awards or high praise or whatever people constitute as an accomplishments for a movie. He's in an uncomfortable suit rubber suit and looks and sounds like he's in an uncomfortable rubber suit. That's pretty much all there is to it.

Last edited:
It's not a rubber suit in TDK and TDKR milost :o :oldrazz:

You were supposed to respond with, "but TDKR didn't win and wasn't nominated for any oscars", to which my reply would be, "Exactly".

Even though I don't care about the Oscars, especially with how political and non-nonsensical they are, I think Ledger deserved it for the Joker. It was nice to see whether they gave it to him because he died or not. He was literally the best thing about the film, for me anyway. Best thing about film all of that year. So, it was good to see. I think it's visual effects and cinematography were very good too.

All the other categories? Perhaps, but it doesn't really matter. I was entertained.

TDKR? I don't see anything in there, save for visual effects or cinematography (which Pfister won elsewhere anyway) that it "DESERVED" anything. Not if you consider the Oscars to be "prestigious" like some people seem to. What did it achieve that prior Batman films hadn't? Or how about as far Nolan's films go? Or filmmaking in general? Going bigger and louder and expanding with bloat in every area? Most sequels do that, not all of them really succeed. The only thing TDKR surpassed of Begins and TDK were the fight scenes, but I don't think there's a nomination for that with the Oscars, maybe the MTV movie awards.

Screenplay? Definitely not. The others are far superior.

Hathaway? I think Catwoman is great, I love seeing her on screen, best part of TDKR by far, but I'm not sure it constitutes as "OMG OSCAR WORTHY" (whatever that means to people). She played Catwoman and Selina Kyle, and did it well, not much more. Les Mis was always going to be "that movie". Other than us Batman/Comic nerds/movie buffs/Anne Fane :woot: who does Catwoman resonate with?

As for OutRiddled's remarks, I can't say I agree with him 100%. There seems to be a lot of phony stuff in there, some of it is spot on though. I'd say Miranda Tate/Talia is razzie worthy, and not just because of the death. I'd say the same thing about Bane too. They're ordinary, cliched villains bent on city destruction.

And Bale? We've seen him do much better (and in other Batman films), I'm sure even Bale would attest to that. I don't agree with Outriddled completely, I felt Bale's Bruce Wayne was at least compelling and well acted in TDKR, even if it wasn't a direction I agreed with. But his Batman? Or, Bale in Batman suit? No, that's not very good. Certainly not for awards or high praise or whatever people constitute as an accomplishments for a movie. He's in an uncomfortable suit rubber suit and looks and sounds like he's in an uncomfortable rubber suit. That's pretty much all there is to it.

:whatever:

And why would I respond with that line? Both films deserved more recognition at the Oscars, and that's why I said what I said. Both deserved much more, even if a few won't admit it. A film that AFI acknowledge as only the fourth CBM to be in their Top Ten lists(making Nolan the only director to have two CBMs in there) is enough to tell me how cherished TDKR is to many, but I only hope others felt the same.

To be fair, there were a LOT more great movies in 2012 than in 2008.

Interesting reply and I get what you mean, BUT...I would consider Anne's performance as Selina Oscar-worthy indeed, though. If you look at the Anne Hathaway/Selina Kyle appreciation thread, you'll find others who feel the same way :woot:

What was so oscar-worthy about her performance? She was playing a bad caricature. Femme fatale, done to death, and also much better by all those classic actresses in the 1940s.

I think Anne Hathaway is very overrated. Just because she is popular and stars in many big hollywood films does not make her a good actress.

One actress I love is Jennifer Jason Leigh, but I don't think she ever got an oscar. Despite the fact that she does much more challenging roles than Anne Hathaway.

Well to you she was playing a bad caricature as you didn't even like the way Anne acted in the film, but just go around these boards, and you'll notice a lot of love and praise at Anne's performance.

One actress I love is Jennifer Jason Leigh, but I don't think she ever got an oscar. Despite the fact that she does much more challenging roles than Anne Hathaway.

It's funny that you love Jennifer Jason Leigh..
If you love her, love to watch challenging acting/roles, love to watch the real acting ; how come you say Christian Bale's acting in general as a unintentionally funny moment?

I just can't understand that... Hahahahahahahaha..

You are unintentionally funny in this Unintentionally Funny thread, dude.. :woot:

After Fox unlocks the reactor access, the way Bane looks at him makes me laugh, i dont know why

A huge number of minor characters / cameos turned in hilarious performances in this movie - there were maybe a few of those in the previous movies (the old guy in the Wayne tower for instance), but by the time of TDRK they've basically infiltrated the whole infrastructure lol.

The CIA guy in the opening gets a pass because I think they did make him kind of bumbling and in over his head on purpose - and along with Bane's especially idiosyncratic intonations, he helps keeping the scene memorable and entertaining I think; the pilots going "mayday mayday" while being tilted downwards can have their benefit of the doubt as well.

After that, I'm not so sure anymore - both Barsad and Dr. Pavel are pretty funny in this sequence, and remain so throughout the rest of the movie. The former for his "tha maskadah man" delivery and generally looking completely stoned whenever he's smiling, and Dr. Pavel, well, for sounding like Ahnold in Conan the Barbarian during the blood transfusion, and then going on to speak with the most unapologetically comical Russian accent and intonation in his next scene - he was literally one mispronounced "v" away from catching up with Yelchin's Chekov from the new Star Trek movie.
But, both are genuinely funny so I kinda feel they were like this on purpose, as well - I mean if his ham-to-ham combat with Bane isn't a dead giveaway, I don't know what is.
"But dahn it weell guoh uoohhhf!!"
"Wlll then for the sake of your children Doctoh Pavllll, ..."
****'s too obvious.

The black military guy on the bridge is where things start getting murky - on the one hand, he's talking to Barsad who's clearly doing a thing there as well ("nohh... nohh we dohn't... but youu doo"), on the other hand, well, his “all-American bravado” just comes off way too straight.
The fact that the previous scene just established the terms he's being explained by Barsad doesn't help keeping the tone of their exchange serious, either - so I'm not sure. If I had to guess, I’d say the actor was testing how much he could goof it up and then get away with it – and lo, it was quite an amount.

But the time for generosity sure as hell has passed when we get to:
-the cool old Southern cop with the "wrong animal theere" line: he's obviously meant to be comic relief, but ends up being so cheesy, cliched and forced that it becomes funny again... unintentionally so.
The part that was supposed to be funny (haha, old school grandpa really likes Batman, heheh) is kinda cringeworthy, but his euphoric deer-in-the-headlights look when the Batwing takes off and how badly his overly long line fits into the flow of the scene - priceless :D
-the frightened, hapless rookie cop with the dumbo ears during the bridge scene would've been a great piece of comedy if they hadn't tried to pass his character off as a "honest, upright policeman naively doing what his superiors told him is best, and then showing horror and regret in a dramatic emotional scene about how misunderstandings can cause heartstring plucking tragedies".
-The old guy from the orphanage does well overall, but the way he delivers his "there is. no. way. to go!" literally has the power to burn out the entire phone network worldwide.
-Cat’s dorky girlfriend is another minor character that kinda moves within that uncanny valley between intentional and unintentional hilarity – but either way, the way she laughs when thrown that stolen watch is absolutely priceless ;)
-So everyone’s mentioned the stupid singing kid by this point; but the burly, bearded football players inches away from being moved to tears by this kitsch overdose haven’t been brought up yet :D
Or maybe it was like some kind of satire?

And then of course there’s all these little gems from our beloved lead characters, as well:
-Michael Caine’s sobbing and crying comes off as incredibly forced, especially given how it comes straight out of nowhere as far as his character is concerned.
This character derailment of epic proportions ranges anywhere from hilarious (the grave scene) to facepalmingly uncomfortable (Bruce being a *****e and causing Alfred to briefly lose his composure as he desperately stutters "I'm... I'm sorry..."). Remember that incredibly cool, promising (and kinda ambiguous) letter burning shot from TDK’s closing montage? Yea, this is what it was leading up to.
-Mayor Alpert acts like a cartoon in this movie – in stark contrast to the authoritative, collected character he was in DK; as entertaining as his Shatnerisms are, it seems like another case of “actor loosening up, cause hey” more than anything else. Although I guess his death scene was supposed to be humorous?
-Anne Hathaway is cool and awesome in exactly three scenes she’s in: the opening “reveal”, the bar scene and when she threatens Dagget. The rest of her performance (save for a few short moments) is full of weird line deliveries and strangely wooden acting – like the part where she goes “for something that doesn’t even *exist*” and then turns away like Hayden Christensen in his infamous “and I know I shouldn’t” line, or when she channels the orphanage guy in her next scene as she states that “it. doesn’t. exist.”; the weird, phony beat before she suggests Bats to “come with her”, and the incredibly cheesy “you know, that no guns thing… (facetiously catches breath - it was a hasty motorcycle ride) … I’m not sure I feel as strongly about it as you do” one-liner towards the end.
Also, is she kind of doing a Tommy Wiseau thing there? “You don’t count too good, huuh”, anyone? “The rich don’t even get broke like the rest of us haaah!”?
Of which the first sounds awesome, but the second strangely flat and phoned in.
In conclusion, her performance ranges from “slick badass femme fatale Catwoman” to something comparable to Wonder Woman from that awful TV pilot – in other words someone trying to do the “slick badass femme fatale” schtick but making it look forced and corny instead.
-Batman’s got his fair share; not having had the slightest problem with what he was doing in the previous movies, I found quite a lot (but not all) of his delivery in this one to be rather hapless. The fact that he constantly has his mouth open; each time he talks in his (increasingly forced sounding) Bat voice to people that already know his secret – which was awesome and fitting in DK for dramatic reasons, but kinda makes him look like a poser in these instances; his “stop you” line and the hilariously inept posture in which he stands in that shot; the whole stabbing scene of course, and last but not least the unforgettably monotone, robotic “psychopaths” line in the sewer fight – although that one might be given a pass since Bane was choking him apparently; but it’s still quite hilarious as it is.

Some other moments stand out – like Blake’s over-the-top shock at what so, so obviously wasn’t even comparable to what a ****ING NUKE FLASH looks like; his completely illogical and out-of-character indignation at Gordon’s deceit; the prisoners acting way over-the-top when cheering at Bane’s speech (“yeap, yeap, yeap, yeap!”) or then marching out with the shotguns held up to the sky while yelling like apes / future John Connor from T3 – yea, they’re bearded and aggressive, we get it; please proceed to stop mattering to the plot throughout the rest of the movie.
Or, you know, the way they seemingly tried to justify the reveal of Talia’s exceptional physical prowess, possibly even superior to Bane’s, by having her jump a whole entire meter into the nuke truck seat!

So yea, as you probably may have guessed, I’m not too crazy about TDKR – it’s full of weird/lame plot choices, likewise character derailments and poor pay-offs to various exciting plot threads set up in the previous films, and naturally this overall quality extends to dozens of individual little moments or minor characters that come off as strange, weird, awkward, and most of the time indyeeed (Did… did you notice? I did like a Miranda Tate thing there) unintentionally funny.
Sometimes it’s entertaining that way, sometimes rather cringe-inducing.

Overall a very hit-and-miss film for me – with the only exception of Bane, who pretty much oozes awesomeness in every scene he’s in. Even his goofiest line deliveries (most of which have been mentioned in this thread) get a 100% pass because they’re mixed right inbetween serious and menacing line deliveries and that way only contribute to the general uncanny, creepy and unpredictable aura surrounding him.
Now if he’d just kept sounding like “an ordinary goldmember” or General “ah yes I was wondering!” Melchett there throughout the *whole movie*, that maybe would’ve been a different story… but not with the unsettling contrasts, the schizophrenia, the constantly morphing voice timbre and inflections :)

Last edited:
The good doctor's advice for you...

molehunt.jamesangletonscare_small.jpg

-Anne Hathaway is cool and awesome in exactly three scenes she’s in: the opening “reveal”, the bar scene and when she threatens Dagget. The rest of her performance (save for a few short moments) is full of weird line deliveries and strangely wooden acting – like the part where she goes “for something that doesn’t even *exist*” and then turns away like Hayden Christensen in his infamous “and I know I shouldn’t” line, or when she channels the orphanage guy in her next scene as she states that “it. doesn’t. exist.”; the weird, phony beat before she suggests Bats to “come with her”, and the incredibly cheesy “you know, that no guns thing… (out of breath after a hasty motorcycle ride) … I’m not sure I feel as strongly about it as you do” one-liner towards the end.
Also, is she kind of doing a Tommy Wiseau thing there? “You don’t count too good, huuh”, anyone? “The rich don’t even get broke like the rest of us haaah!”?
Of which the first sounds awesome, but the second strangely flat and phoned in.
In conclusion, her performance ranges from “slick badass femme fatale Catwoman” to something comparable to Wonder Woman in that awful TV pilot – in other words someone trying to do the “slick badass femme fatale” schtick but being way too corny at it.

&

I've been waiting for an excuse to post this. Your post will have to do. :oldrazz:

When watching TDKR for the second time, when Bane breaks Bats- and says "Ahhh, I was wondering what would break first...your spirit or your body!!" I heard:

"Your spirit...or YOUR BUNNY!!"

I heard "your money" lol. Thought he was taking another jab at the "1%" or something... like adding insult to injury; but turned out he didn't :)

Btw, I love how he starts this line in a rather goofy tone (in fact, he probably doesn't sound anywhere as silly as here in the rest of the movie), but then towards the end smoothly morphs back into creepy again - a shahning, exahmplLLl of Hardy's M.O with this role as it seems :D

2 moments come to mind: Talia's death scene, and the second jump in the pit, the music slowly fades and that's what makes the scene unintentionally funny. It was finally supossed to happen... aaaaaaaand it's gone.

The fact that the rope didn't snap his back in half again did stretch believability imo, but that bit with the music I found rather intense actually - kinda reminded me of Ligeti's "Devil's Staircase":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZTaiDHqs5s,
in particular the passages at 2:00-2:20 and 3:00-3:30, and maybe the ending - those don't slow down, but the overall effect is quite similar I think; fits thematically with the scene in question as well ;)

It shouldn't snap his back in half because we see the same thing happen to another prisoner and he seemed find when they pulled him back down to his feet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"