Unreal Engine 4: PC left crying in last place

Galactus

Devourer of Worlds
Reaction score
Thursday 13-Mar-2008 11:03 AM

UE4 "will exclusively target the next console generation", reveals Epic
In news that will have PC gamers shacking fists angrily at the great gaming god in the sky (or maybe not), Epic's revealed that console is the main focus for the next version of its Unreal Engine.

Version 4 of the technology "will exclusively target the next console generation, Microsoft's successor for the Xbox 360, Sony's successor for the PlayStation 3 - and if Nintendo ships a machine with similar hardware specs, then that also", Epic's Tim Sweeney has told TG Daily.

"PCs will follow after that", he added.

It's a switch of focus for Epic. The PC platform has traditionally been the number one priority for Unreal tech in the past.

Sweeney went on to talk about Unreal Engine 3, saying there's still a long life ahead for that version and that it'll continue to be improved during this console cycle - "So, it is normal to expect that we will add new stuff in 2011 and 2012".

Epic's expecting it to be another three to four years at least then until the next console wave initiates.

I dont blame them seeing as how the PS3 version of UT3 beat the PC by a wide margin

Unreal Tournament 3 was pretty mediocre anyway.
Played it for about 3 days then stuck the game under my computer desk. It really is more suited for consoles.

Are we really surprised? The money for these dev's isnt really coming from PC's. Consoles are driving the industry, not PC's.

Exactly, There formulaic crap no longer sells to the PC market. But many brain dead console gamers will lap it up. What I don't quite understand, Consoles seem to be morphing more and more into pc's. It wouldn't seem all that illogical to foresee the next gen being even more similar in respects.

Exactly, There formulaic crap no longer sells to the PC market. But many brain dead console gamers will lap it up. What I don't quite understand, Consoles seem to be morphing more and more into pc's. It wouldn't seem all that illogical to foresee the next gen being even more similar in respects.

You can try and put a positive pro-pc spin on this, but its pretty much futile. Console gamers are no more "brain dead" than PC gamers, PC gamers are archaic and the developers realize this, which is why you see an almost complete shift towards consoles.

You can try and put a positive pro-pc spin on this, but its pretty much futile. Console gamers are no more "brain dead" than PC gamers, PC gamers are archaic and the developers realize this, which is why you see an almost complete shift towards consoles.

PC gaming is expensive/complicated which is why the console has the larger following, that's were the money is and it's pretty much always been that way. PC gaming will have it's up's and downs, but ultimately it's not disappearing anytime soon. It's far more likely that there will be multiports than games no longer being produced at all. Indie type games and specific styles of gaming are also attached the pc.

PC gaming is expensive/complicated which is why the console has the larger following, that's were the money is and it's pretty much always been that way. PC gaming will have it's up's and downs, but ultimately it's not disappearing anytime soon. It's far more likely that there will be multiports than games no longer being produced at all. Indie type games and specific styles of gaming are also attached the pc.

Yea, i dont see PC gaming going away ANY time soon and i agree that the reason its behind is because of the expense and complications(i mean imo, the avg consumer is flat out stupid).

Unreal Engine 4 in 2012
Sunday 27-Jul-2008 10:09 AM Epic's next engine is "in production right now," reveals boss Mike Capps
Epic boss Mike Capps predicts that the next iteration of the company's stupidly popular Unreal Engine will be out in 2012, no doubt raking in even more cash from developers who don't quite fancy building their own tech.

"We've got Unreal [Engine] 4 in production right now," Capps told Gamasutra. "It's going to be in the next console generation--our rough guess is 2012 [up to] 2018."

As above, Epic has previously gone on record that its fourth engine will squarely target PlayStation 4 and Xbox... well, whatever Microsoft decide to call the next one. "PCs will follow after that," mastermind Tim Sweeney said earlier this year.

"The Unreal engine is really tied to a console cycle," he said. "Version 4 will exclusively target the next console generation, Microsoft's successor for the Xbox 360, Sony's successor for the Playstation 3 - and if Nintendo ships a machine with similar hardware specs, then that also.

"We have a small Research & Development effort dedicated to the Unreal Engine 4. Basically, it is just me, but that team will be ramping up to three to four engineers by the end of this year - and even more one year after that."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"