Variants

MEXBONE

Civilian
Reaction score
I DECIDED TO POST THIS ON THE MARVEL THREAD CUZ I NEVER LIKED DC THAT **** HAS THE LAMEST SUPER HEROS ......OK SO JUST RECENTLY I STARTED 2 GET INTO COMICS AND SUCH , I HAVENT BAUGHT ANY SINCE I WAS LIKE 10 YEARS OLD .... SO NOW 10 YEARS LATER ALL THESE DIEFFRENT COVERS COME OUT FOR LIKE EVERY OTHER COMIC , SO MY QUESTION IS WHEN VIRANTS COME OUT ARE THEY SOLD @ THE TYPICAL COMIC BOOK PRICE OF LIKE $2.50-$3.99 AND THEN LATER RAISED TOO LIKE $30, OR DO THE RETAILERS JUST RAISE THE PRICE ?:confused:

I've found some retailers will sell them fer cover, but a lotta 'em jack up th' price as soon as they come in...despite th' cover price still bein' cheap. Which sucks, 'cause th' better covers are usually th' variants.

MEXBONE said:
I DECIDED TO POST THIS ON THE MARVEL THREAD CUZ I NEVER LIKED DC THAT **** HAS THE LAMEST SUPER HEROS ......OK SO JUST RECENTLY I STARTED 2 GET INTO COMICS AND SUCH , I HAVENT BAUGHT ANY SINCE I WAS LIKE 10 YEARS OLD .... SO NOW 10 YEARS LATER ALL THESE DIEFFRENT COVERS COME OUT FOR LIKE EVERY OTHER COMIC , SO MY QUESTION IS WHEN VIRANTS COME OUT ARE THEY SOLD @ THE TYPICAL COMIC BOOK PRICE OF LIKE $2.50-$3.99 AND THEN LATER RAISED TOO LIKE $30, OR DO THE RETAILERS JUST RAISE THE PRICE ?:confused:
Varients,....

As much as the market can take,....

when varients (such as a 1:30 varient, not a 1:1 alternative cover) come out, retailers up the price immediately.

The theory goes like this: A comics company offers a deal that says that any retailer who orders X number of copies of a book gets a special varient of that comics. Let's just say that X=30. Now a comics store that normally orders 25 copies of a book, if they feel like it, can up their orders to 30 to get the varient. This helps the comics company out because now they've sold 5 more copies of that issue (multiplied by the thousand or so comic retailers in country). The comics store, while it may now be stuck with 5 extra copies of a book that may not sell, now has an extra copy of the book they can sell for $20-30, which more than recoups their cost on the extra 5 issues or so

(I heard someone complaining about this subject on another board who was angered that a comics retailer who normally orders 2 copies of a particular book would have to up it to 30 to get the varient, but no comics store is that stupid, and if they are, they shouldn't be in business anyway. If your store only manages to sell two copies of a book, and you up your order to 30 just for a $20 varient that's not gonna sell cause only two people buy the book regularly anyway, you deserve to lose the money)

Now, in theory, just taking the matter on those simple terms, there's nothing wrong with it, everybody makes out. Where it gets tricky is in the broader scope of things. It's an easy leap in logic to point out that if a customer is spending $30 on one issue that just came out, that's $30 he's NOT spending on other, less popular titles. It's a bit tricky, and a divisive issue.

Elijya said:
when varients (such as a 1:30 varient, not a 1:1 alternative cover) come out, retailers up the price immediately.

I'm always glad that my LCS doesn't do that. They just rack them like normal on the day they come out. Any varients left the next day get marked up. But on the day they're released the varients are cover price.

when a retailer recieves a variant, they can choose whatever price to put on it. Sometimes, if a retailer is really cool, and let's say they order 30 copies of a book ANYWAY, so they've lost nothing to get the variant, they may give it to a loyal customer. But if a store specificly upped their order in order to recieve the variant, they're going to price it to recover the cost of the extra issues ordered in order to have recieved the variant that aren't going to sell. Most retailers know the threshhold from their customers, what price they need to put on it in order to get the book to move. This can be anywhere from $10-30 depending on the store. Some retailers also check ebay to see what the variant is selling for, and price it accordingly

DBM said:
I'm always glad that my LCS doesn't do that. They just rack them like normal on the day they come out. Any varients left the next day get marked up. But on the day they're released the varients are cover price.

My store is the same, varients are just on the shelf and sold at a normal cover price.

Thanks 4 All Your Help Guys :) , I Guess I Should Just Ask The People @ The Comic Store I Have Been Goin To Lately About This 2 How They Handle This

It's bad enough your a zombie, but must you capitalize every word as well?

Anubis said:
It's bad enough your a zombie, but must you capitalize every word as well?

He's probably writing in all caps (like a big doof). The hype won't let you do that unless there is at least one lowercase letter. So when he tries to write in all caps, it automatically only allows the first letter of each word to be capitalized.

Zombie.jpg

Think we should ban anyone who says Marvel Zombie from th' Marvel boards.

WOLVERINE25TH said:
Why? This guy clearly is.

WOLVERINE25TH said:

I think we should ban anyone who types like Wolverine from the boards, regardless of whether they think they are Wolverine or not.

WOLVERINE25TH said:

Fine then, we'll call them Marvel fans who happen to be among the living impaired. but if people are gonna be banned for calling somebody a Zombie Bastard then you gotta ban the Wolverine wannbes as well. It's only fair.

You only wish it'd be so simple to get ridda me. But face it, bunky, yer stuck with me.

WOLVERINE25TH said:
You only wish it'd be so simple to get ridda me. But face it, bunky, yer stuck with me.

Then youre stuck with this.

Zombie.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"