Vengeance of the Moon Knight

Reposting from the B/T thread, with spoilers:

Dread said:
VENGEANCE OF THE MOON KNIGHT #1: This came out two weeks ago, but as I said, this was a slow week. I was curious about some of the reviews and gave it a try; I did read the last volume of MOON KNIGHT for about 18-19 issues (and one annual) before giving up on it. It was bleak and gritty to the point of parody and was a mire to read. Specter became a sociopathic psychotic, and while that played with his foibles, it made him a victim of them. Gregg Hurwitz, however, seems to realize this.
None of the last run is forgotten; the stuff still happened. Specter still mauled criminals for months. He still killed some of them, and the Thunderbolts (under Osborn) still framed him for a murder he didn't commit (although he did kill Black Specter at least, along with Killer Shrike, last run). He still is haunted by Khonshou, in the form of Bushman, acting like an evil Jiminy Cricket urging Marc to kill people. But it's more subdued. Or rather, Moon Knight wants to try to be a proper hero again, despite himself, his god, and the rep. He makes his start foiling a bank robbery in Time's Square in broad daylight, catching the attention of the police, the news media and even the Fantastic Four. Normally this would look mundane, but Jerome Opena's art with Dan Brown's colors make it look good enough to be a movie storyboard.

The issue ends with Osborn siccing Sentry at Moon Knight, which is overkill considering he recently felt only Venom was enough to handle the Fantastic Four, that included the Human Torch.
If the book has any flaw it is that while everything is executed well enough, it doesn't quite pop and scream of excellence. The reprint of MOON KNIGHT #1 circa 1980 to boost the price to $4 didn't help either. Debut issues should be cheap as possible to attract readers, but what I like about Marvel is they stick to all ideas, good or bad. I also am curious when Moon Knight will be moved to a triple digit number. How far away is he from issue 200? And would they include issues of WEREWOLF BY NIGHT or MARVEL TWO-IN ONE? Not including those, we're only three issues from MOON KNIGHT #150. C'mon, Marvel, fulfill my cynicism and prove you're beyond parody. ;)

There's a longer review at my last Examiner review article, the link is in the sig.

Vengeance of the Moon Knight #3 Preview

prv3689pg4.jpg

Years ago, Moon Knight lost his mind and killed a man, cut off his face and brayed at the moon. That man was his nemesis: Raoul Bushman. Now Bushman is back and looking for payback. He’s laid a trap for Moon Knight, emptying Ravenscar Asylum and the lunatics are running wild down Broadway. For Moon Knight to defeat them – and Bushman – he’ll need the full arsenal of his wits and weaponry. Because nothing can prepare him for the madness of Herman the German and the Great Wall.

Alright... that seems a shade too close to a Batman plotline for my liking...

To be fair, emptying Asylums and/or Prisons is a pretty generic story idea, nowadays.

where did they get Bushman's face from? also I hope to see some of moonies "powers" come back so he can kick the mystical powered arse of the Hood.

59352new_storyimage-27955516%7C527111.jpg

VENGEANCE OF THE MOON KNIGHT #5 COVER BY: Leinil Francis Yu WRITER: Gregg Hurwitz PENCILS: Jerome Opena ?SHOCK AND AWE, PART 5: PAST IS PROLOG? There is one villain who can make Moon Knight look sane: The Scarecrow. This unhinged lunatic has taken to the streets. Now Moon Knight must face the Scarecrow and his minions of madness under a black sky filled with crows in this final obstacle keeping him from his true nemesis: Bushman. Parental Advisory ?$2.99

Uh oh. The Batman comparisons will rise again, with a...vengeance? :(

So is it anything worth to pick up and unique enough? I read the 1st issue with him meeting the Sentry. I found it enjoyable he had this crazy mini-me with him taunting him, but he just seemed too Bruce Wayne. Sorry im a Moon Knight noob but i mean the guy quitted alcohol and stuff. =S I liked the idea he believes to be this Moon God and scars people but yeah... Is this worth the money or what?!

He isn't really anything like Bruce Wayne. Spector is a bonafide nut case.

I've only read the first issue of this series, but if you wanna get up to date check out his last series from the start. Really good character study on a completely bonkers vigilante. He makes Bruce Wayne seem like a ***** cat.

Scarecrow was always pretty different from DC's version. I'm just curious as to how he's alive. :confused:

I'm waiting for Hurwitz to come out with something that'll really turn this VotMK on its head and make me say "Oh s###! That's gold!"

Admittedly, I know that he's got to string us a long a few issues before he really does something like that... but yeah. The guy's not in the most enviable position. Pressure's on Hurwitz!

And using Scarecrow on top of the more-than-a-little-familiar Knightfall-esque storyline (and I am aware of the differences between Marvel's and DC's name sharing character), I'm not sure if I should be laughing at that choice...

I know Marvel wants to get some more action in, bring back the rogues and sell the character that way... but I'm not convinced that's how the character's best served.

To me he's a guy who should be struggling with his inner issues every bit as much (and frequently more) as with his foes... Guy's got a laundry list of issues and his biggest fight is with himself to convince himself that he can even be a "hero". Its a nice change of pace to see him taking the angle of "F*** all the BS, just be a hero" and trying to really force it upon himself despite the constant reminders of his own insanity literally popping up at every corner... but to me that's exactly what it should be, a change of pace.

Last edited:
ndre2p.jpg

VENGEANCE OF THE MOON KNIGHT #6
Written by GREGG HURWITZ
Penciled by JEROME OPEÑA
Cover by LEINIL FRANCIS YU
“KNIGHT FALLS,” CONCLUSION
Every man has a past. Every night has its day. It’s time for Moon Knight to face both. It all comes down to this.
Moon Knight versus Bushman.
32 PGS./Parental Advisory ...$2.99

VENGEANCE OF THE MOON KNIGHT #1-3 MUST HAVE
76 PGS./Parental Advisory ...$4.99

"Knight Falls"? :dry: Okay, now they're REALLY not trying to hide it. :awesome:

Y'know... It's Knight Falls, and it features a villain releasing a large number of a superheroes foes from an asylum.

I sure hope MK doesn't get his back broke...

6sry45.jpg

Marvel editor Axel Alonso has posted the cover to Vengeance of Moon Knight #7, which features Deadpool. April 2010 comic solicitations haven't been released yet, so there are no additional details to Deadpool's role in the comic.

Link

Sooner or later Deadpool will be in every comic lol.

He probably has been in 90% of Marvel comics in the last year.

I just hope this one is more like Kyle and Yost rather than Jeph Loeb.

Deadpool in VENGEANCE OF THE MOON KNIGHT #7 is likely a sales stunt; the title by then should be selling at the same level that it was when the last volume was canceled, if not lower due to diminishing returns.

Which is a bit of a shame; this has been a better launch than the last volume was, faster and not as hilariously bleak. The artwork has been good and the action pacing rather impressive for a book where I didn't expect it. I grabbed the first issue on a lark two weeks late and haven't regretted staying so far.

Yea I agree it's probably just a sales stunt.

But I mean, it makes sense for these guys to cross paths. And I think it could be interesting to see their two different types of craziness play off each other. I hope it does focus on that if only just a little, and not just make Deadpool have mouth diarrhea ala Jeph Loeb.

Seriously DPs appearance in Rulk is probably the worst he's ever, ever been written. Loeb is a mug.

I've only read the first three issues and I like it so far.But I'm not really familiar with the hood.Can someone explain how he was able to bring Bushman back to life?What are his powers?and also when did Scarecrow die?Cause my first exposure to him was a Sensational Spider-man Arc a few years ago and I haven't finished it yet but I know he's in the recent Ghost Rider Mini.

I don't see DP in MK 7 as a sales stunt. I just figured it was Marvel's goal to get Deadpool a cameo in every running title.

Yea I agree it's probably just a sales stunt.

But I mean, it makes sense for these guys to cross paths. And I think it could be interesting to see their two different types of craziness play off each other. I hope it does focus on that if only just a little, and not just make Deadpool have mouth diarrhea ala Jeph Loeb.

Seriously DPs appearance in Rulk is probably the worst he's ever, ever been written. Loeb is a mug.

Maybe Hurwitz just wants to have his own "crazy hero" Moon Knight cross paths with other heroes or anti-heroes known for being insane. That was part of what made the chat with the Sentry cool and Deadpool is also known for being nuts, only unlike Sentry or Moon Knight, he doesn't fight it.

Loeb writes everything poorly these days. He's five years removed from anything he wrote that even approached mediocre. But I already got yelled at once for calling him the "h" word, so I won't. Let's say it rhymes with "flack". HULK and ULTIMATUM in particular have been not merely bad, but so awful that they seem to genuinely insult the intelligence of the reader with a "this will do, it's only comic books, not TV" attitude. Granted, Loeb's writing also ran a season of HEROES into the ground, didn't it? He's got the kiss of death lately; even the relaunch of INCREDIBLE HULK is starting to tank in sales because of association to HULK. It is surprising as he once was a very dependable writer, especially alongside Tim Sale, but, as I said once elsewhere, THE LONG HALLOWEEN was, indeed, a LONG time ago.

How bad was ULTIMATUM? To paraphrase a line from HAPPY GILMORE, "anyone who has read it is now dumber for having been witness to it. I award it no points, and may God have mercy on its soul."

I don't see DP in MK 7 as a sales stunt. I just figured it was Marvel's goal to get Deadpool a cameo in every running title.

Guest appearances by "hot" characters are usually seen as a sales ploy. That was why Wolverine, Spider-Man, Ghost Rider, Punisher, and even Venom used to pop up all over the place in the 90's. Even today, guest appearances by Spidey or Wolverine in a book aren't uncommon. Spider-Man was technically in one issue of VENGEANCE OF THE MOON KNIGHT already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"